ADVERTISEMENT

Kalen King

LandoComando

Nov 29, 2021
Not a great report for him/

"The guys I was disappointed in the most on Day 2 was Kalen King. He didn't look as athletic as I thought he was on the tape. I really questioned his speed a couple times he got extended downfield. I didn't see that second gear where he could catch up after getting out of the turn when he was extended. It also looks like he was going through the motions, which I didn't see on his junior year tape... I just was expecting a lot more. He had a rough day today."

"It feels like the predraft arc of Eli Ricks and Georgia cornerback Kelee Ringo, who both went to Philadelphia," Wilson said. "Hopefully Kalen King can bounce back because I really liked his tape coming into the year."

I thought that Dixon outplayed him this past year in regard to 1) pass defense 2) running defense 3) blitzing.

Dixon also did not committ the number of penalties that King committed. King did run the second fastest run measured in mph during the practice for The Senior Bowl.....so his athleticism is still very elite.

Whoa...what a bad report. Again, why he was projected to be a 1st rounder was insanity. Something just wasn't right this yr...he struggled from start to finish.

Reactions: RickinDayton
I wonder who this report was from - a sPitter guy no doubt.

I thought that Dixon outplayed him this past year in regard to 1) pass defense 2) running defense 3) blitzing.

Dixon also did not committ the number of penalties that King committed. King did run the second fastest run measured in mph during the practice for The Senior Bowl.....so his athleticism is still very elite.
But, i think the report indicates that athleticism while playing a cover corner, and doing all that is required, is questionable. I would hope most to all of these guys have good straight line speed.

"The guys I was disappointed in the most on Day 2 was Kalen King. He didn't look as athletic as I thought he was on the tape. I really questioned his speed a couple times he got extended downfield. I didn't see that second gear where he could catch up after getting out of the turn when he was extended. It also looks like he was going through the motions, which I didn't see on his junior year tape... I just was expecting a lot more. He had a rough day today."

"It feels like the predraft arc of Eli Ricks and Georgia cornerback Kelee Ringo, who both went to Philadelphia," Wilson said. "Hopefully Kalen King can bounce back because I really liked his tape coming into the year."

Fire Kirby Smart.

Agree about Dixon.

I don't mind the critical reports. What I mind are the hype reports from before the season that are based on nothing but they get in the ears of these kids and they declare for the draft instead of buckling down and becoming better players.

He has really good potential but we saw against Ohio State and Michigan he wasn't exactly shutting down more athletic wideouts. He would have benefited from one more year.

Senior bowl coaches ruined him

A couple of things:

Garrett Podell works for CBS as a Sports Research Editor. TCU grad. The analysis was done by former Vikings GM Rick Spielman.

And while I understand that his analysis from a practice is not flattering, it is just 1 person's opinion who viewed King perform apparently on a bad day.

CBS 2024 NFL Draft Prospects. They still have King listed as the 25th overall prospect and the #5 CB.

We will see how he performs in the actual game and how all of this impacts their evaluation of him.

He's rusty, should've played in the bowl game.🤷‍♂️

A couple of things:

Garrett Podell works for CBS as a Sports Research Editor. TCU grad. The analysis was done by former Vikings GM Rick Spielman.

And while I understand that his analysis from a practice is not flattering, it is just 1 person's opinion who viewed King perform apparently on a bad day.

CBS 2024 NFL Draft Prospects. They still have King listed as the 25th overall prospect and the #5 CB.

We will see how he performs in the actual game and how all of this impacts their evaluation of him.
Oh agreed--one practice and one person's opinion doesn't mean anything. I don't think King played like a first round pick. JPJ was better and went 32 and, IMO, there's more top-tier CBs this year. King should test well.

Hope he doesn't get hurt in these practices or the game. I'm told that any game played after the regular season finale is very dangerous to the health of a draft eligible player.

King was solid this year, but major drop-off from his SOPH season. A lot probably plays into that - worried about NFL draft stock, possibility of injuries, not having JPjr across from him, etc.

I actually thought he played his best ball of the season prior to OSU - after Marvin Harrison Jr. took his lunch money it never seemed like he regained his confidence. The lead-up and hype of that matchup seemed to crush his psyche.

King was solid this year, but major drop-off from his SOPH season. A lot probably plays into that - worried about NFL draft stock, possibility of injuries, not having JPjr across from him, etc.

I actually thought he played his best ball of the season prior to OSU - after Marvin Harrison Jr. took his lunch money it never seemed like he regained his confidence. The lead-up and hype of that matchup seemed to crush his psyche.
I thought King was fine this year. The only guy who really did anything of significance against him was Harrison, who is the best WR I've seen in college since Michael Crabtree.
The less you hear about a corner the better they typically are playing. King wasn't mentioned a whole lot this season. Ole Miss showed how important our corners were to the attacking style of defense the team played this season.

It would really be a shame if college play started dropping off due to players letting draft stock get into their heads more than it already has. Play the games to win …..🏆

It would really be a shame if college play started dropping off due to players letting draft stock get into their heads more than it already has. Play the games to win …..🏆
I don't really think athletics works that way. Players play their best. Sometimes their best isn't good enough. Backing off doesn't help their draft stock, it hurts it by showing inconsistencies and in effort, which is a red flag for a professional team. Scouts can tell, it's what they do. If a guy is getting beat because he's not trying hard enough, the tape will show it. Now are there times at the end of the season when the team overall has lost hope or had their goals dashed and it has changed the focus or hopes of the team? Sure there is. Could a player get sidetracked with hopes of big professional paycheck down the stretch of a season that never panned out? Of course, it happens on every level. But honestly that's on the coach more than anything. They get paid to keep players performing at top level, provide morale support and keep goals in front of the team. Kalen King will do just fine.

Reactions: Lion_Backer
This has been happening for years? From effort, to opt-outs, etc. And this dates back well before NIL and the CFP. Jadeveon Clowney was the first that comes to mind.

This has been happening for years? From effort, to opt-outs, etc. And this dates back well before NIL and the CFP. Jadeveon Clowney was the first that comes to mind.
I just don't believe that guys try any less hard. That is not my experience with sports. There are guys who have better work ethics, are more consistent, are level headed, are more focused or don't match up well in any given game, don't have the interior drive or know how to maximize their potential or have bad confidence or morale.
The difference between Jamarcus Russell and Tom Brady wasn't their athletic potential it was what was between their two ears, the intangibles. Tom, devoid of Jamarcus's raw athletic skills knew what it took to be great and how to work toward that every day of his life. Jamarcus didn't but he wasn't trying any less hard than Tom when he took a snap from center. Just because a dude is 6'2" 220 and runs and jumps like a deer, doesn't mean he's going to be amazing or dominate his opposition. It just doesn't. It certainly helps your odds though.

Hope he doesn't get hurt in these practices or the game. I'm told that any game played after the regular season finale is very dangerous to the health of a draft eligible player.
This isn't a game--it's preparation work for the draft

Solid? He was horrible at times, especially against OSU. And he spurned us in the Peach Bowl. I can’t say I’m upset his draft stock is falling. I see him as a 4th round pick at best.

Solid? He was horrible at times, especially against OSU.

He played poorly against MHJ. He didn't make himself any money, but Manny should have took a page from the Schiano playbook and bracketed the best WR in the CFB instead of leaving any CB on an island there.

The rest of the year was easily solid. He didn't dominate games, but teams stayed away mostly.

Curious about the "s" in the times you mention. Examples? I'm not saying they don't exist; I only remember "horrible" vs OSU.

He played poorly against MHJ. He didn't make himself any money, but Manny should have took a page from the Schiano playbook and bracketed the best WR in the CFB instead of leaving any CB on an island there.

The rest of the year was easily solid. He didn't dominate games, but teams stayed away mostly.

Curious about the "s" in the times you mention. Examples? I'm not saying they don't exist; I only remember "horrible" vs OSU.
Agreed. Said before the game that it would be interesting to see how Diaz would defend Harrison. I thought he should double him and let King play man against other receivers. Perhaps cyrizzle could tell us which DB(s) excelled against Harrison this past year playing man coverage. I’ll wait.

Reactions: lazydave841
Agreed. Said before the game that it would be interesting to see how Diaz would defend Harrison. I thought he should double him and let King play man against other receivers. Perhaps cyrizzle could tell us which DB(s) excelled against Harrison this past year playing man coverage. I’ll wait.
Will Johnson, for one. Now shut ya trap boy.

5 / 118 / 1 TD is excelling?

11 / 162 / 1 TD is horrible?

Or are we judging off who won, who lost?

I don't think Michigan Johnson on an island every play either, but kudos to Will, he did pick off that one pass and Michigan scored off it.

Reactions: GLCoast
The problem is that he didn't leave early enough. Other programs have players that stay and win championships, while our fan base celebrates everyone leaving early and 10-3 seasons.

Reactions: scrivener
Theo Johnson is getting lots of possitive press at Senior Bowl......as is Adissa Issac both of whom have made some money. I am still hoping that my Steelers can get Johnny Dixon in Round 4........ He had a tremendous 2023 season, better than King in my opinion.

Solid? He was horrible at times, especially against OSU. And he spurned us in the Peach Bowl. I can’t say I’m upset his draft stock is falling. I see him as a 4th round pick at best.
Hoping a kid falls in the draft. Ya you’re not a fan but you are a loser

Hoping a kid falls in the draft. Ya you’re not a fan but you are a loser
Ad hominem attacks always make your arguments “stronger”. But what should we expect from someone who thinks Harrison catching 5 passes for 118 yards and a TD represents “excellent” defense by the DB playing against him. I guess your next “insight” will be trying to convince us Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny are real.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT