ADVERTISEMENT

Joey McKenna to PSU??

I find it interesting that everyone assumes McKenna is an upgrade to Cortez or Nick Lee. I'm not convinced from what I've seen that last two years that would be the case. I don't see him as a "sure thing" finalist.

Though he is more "proven" than the other two at this point, I like all the guys coming in (especially Lee), and am excited to see the next "breakthrough". The unknown of the new guys, with what is to me a high potential, is more fun.

Of course, its also comfortable to roll the dice because of the luxury of having 5 returning champs and a would have been 6th....

Who says you won't see McKenna and Cortez this year, and all 3 next year?

Reactions: SRATH and Gebmo
Cory Clark is missing from your list of the top, awfully tough Hawkeye wrestlers of recent record. Although a slight notch below, I think Burak is an honorable mention.

The analysis isn't as simple as fans of a proud program not being able to yield to another quietly. A big part of the problem is the volume of chest-thumping, we-are-the-best, we-can-do-no-wrong posts from fans of the top program -- and then in the same breath talk about the importance of being classy. That makes even me, a PSU Wrestling fan, want to puke.

I once knew a girl in college who swore that she didn't crap (the thought of admitting association with something dirty was unbearable). Some of our fans remind me of that girl -- they bypass the "our sh*t don't stink" attitude and leap right to "we don't sh*t".

Neither side is infallible, and neither knows all the facts and circumstances the great majority of the time. The dumpster fires wouldn't burn so hot if more people could just discuss the topics while acknowledging that. Speculation and debate can be done respectfully.

My opinion, anyway.

The difference between the two message board communities (IMHO) is with Hawkeye Report you have a good number of people who actually hate Penn State and/or Cael Sanderson. You've got bonafide mouth-breathers over there spreading outrageous lies about illegal payments, steroid use, etc., and they largely go unchecked (quite the contrary the posters receive "likes")

Here on BWI it's a bit different. Sure, we also have a few "crazies" (one or two) but I'm not sure anybody here actually "hates" Iowa or Tom Brands. I certainly don't. That said, I do enjoy sticking it to their fans at times mainly because they have a lot of a-holes over on HR spreading lies about PSU.

The difference between the two message board communities (IMHO) is with Hawkeye Report you have a good number of people who actually hate Penn State and/or Cael Sanderson. You've got bonafide mouth-breathers over there spreading outrageous lies about illegal payments, steroid use, etc., and they largely go unchecked (quite the contrary the posters receive "likes")

Here on BWI it's a bit different. Sure, we also have a few "crazies" (one or two) but I'm not sure anybody here actually "hates" Iowa or Tom Brands. I certainly don't. That said, I do enjoy sticking it to their fans at times mainly because they have a lot of a-holes over on HR spreading lies about PSU.

I almost never visit HR and have never posted there so I don't know about their degree of craziness. However, there are a LOT more than 1 or 2 people that hate Iowa and the Brands. However, 8 years ago when we hired Cael this was my stated goal, that we would be as hated as Iowa was. I should have heeded the warnings about being careful what you wish for. :(

this post hits the nail on the head

Reactions: diggerpup
I hate some sports teams, but not in the real sense.
Iowa hates in the real sense, meaning if they could get away with it, they would have no problem hurting people.

Iowa hates in the real sense, meaning if they could get away with it, they would have no problem hurting people.
I'd be real careful about categorizing a fan base based on a community forum. I'm guessing the "haters" on HR amount to some incredibly small percentage of their fans.

Anecdotally speaking, I've had the opportunity to stay in the same hotels with Iowa fans over the years, mostly during the Big Ten Championships. With one exception (a very inebriated teenager), their fans were awesome to sit and talk wrestling with.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
There's one or two over there that I could see wanting things to get physical.

I guess I took his post to imply that people from the Iowa board would have no problem pulling a Nancy Kerrigan on someone from PSU.

If it is implying a fan would fight another fan, that is still crazy but there are knuckleheads in every fan base so you never know.

I guess I took his post to imply that people from the Iowa board would have no problem pulling a Nancy Kerrigan on someone from PSU.

If it is implying a fan would fight another fan, that is still crazy but there are knuckleheads in every fan base so you never know.
I took it as fan on fan violence. And yes, there's a couple that post there that I could see being that way. To be fair though, there's one or two that post on this board that scares me a bit... lol

I won't say this is overboard, but I just saw a splash.

It's easy to take the high road when you're king of the hill. If Pitt were to hire Nick Saban and start winning national championships, PSU fans would be bad-mouthing and hating on that program far more than Iowa wrestling fans are doing to us now. It's just human nature.

Bottom line -- it's not a difference between members of HR and members of this message board, it's just a difference in where our respective teams stand vis-a-vis one another at this moment.

I have never had a bad experience with hawk fans...never.

Goofers yeah that happened a few times.....but i probably brought it on myself.

Reactions: Gebmo
Don't know about the referenced post, but your zinger has me chuckling. Hadn't heard that one before.

People on the Iowa board want to be on Dancing With The Stars??;);)

Time to lighten up.

Reactions: diggerpup
I took it as fan on fan violence. And yes, there's a couple that post there that I could see being that way. To be fair though, there's one or two that post on this board that scares me a bit... lol

Wasn't long ago on here, a poster was offering to fight people. I mean, if he'll do that within our fan base, I'm guessing against other fan bases isn't out of the question.

Wasn't long ago on here, a poster was offering to fight people. I mean, if he'll do that within our fan base, I'm guessing against other fan bases isn't out of the question.
Did he go away or does everyone have him on ignore? I dont see anyone call him out anymore?

He went over to Scout, and immediately started some she-ite, but some guy named dwyoder put a quick end to it. He's been on good behavior ever since.
He's also on themat.com. He loves PSU. I'll give him that. Unfortunately, I've seen him threaten to kick some a$$ over there too. Silly.

People on the Iowa board want to be on Dancing With The Stars??;);)

Time to lighten up.

While I am light as a feather, I do appreciate the DWTS reference. They really should have brought Tonya Harding on to compete against her...

I forget, is Sunday the end of a week or the beginning? And if it is a new week, is this the one spyker was telling us we will know where McKenna is headed?

Reactions: bdv
Spyker's busy waiting for the answer to when last night's finals started and whether they're best of three. That and being Cael's mouthpiece is a lot to juggle.
For all we know, maybe spyker FINALLY discovered Google and is mesmerized by all that can be answered there . Hell, he might have played around with it so much that he's decided he no longer needs us.

This would sadden me....

For all we know, maybe spyker FINALLY discovered Google and is mesmerized by all that can be answered there . Hell, he might have played around with it so much that he's decided he no longer needs us.

This would sadden me....

98adth.jpg

Reactions: johnstownsteel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT