ADVERTISEMENT

Joel Klatt's Post-Spring Top 25 Rankings - PSU #5 (link attached)

The B1G East is so tough. It’s a three team round robin. But PSU is a notch below O$U and Michigan, now, but they’ve got a huge opportunity to elevate because they can beat them.

Will they do what they failed to do in 2017-2019? Michigan has done it in 2021-2022… again CoVid really messed up Franklion and his program. Still wish we knew the full story.

The B1G East is so tough. It’s a three team round robin. But PSU is a notch below O$U and Michigan, now, but they’ve got a huge opportunity to elevate because they can beat them.

Will they do what they failed to do in 2017-2019? Michigan has done it in 2021-2022… again CoVid really messed up Franklion and his program. Still wish we knew the full story.
Part of it surely was the result of the impact of COVID on his family... because of his daughter's illness. I will conjecture that the rest had to do with what I believe was a perceived betrayal by administration.

Penn State got wins vs Michigan in 2017 and 2019. In 2017, it was 42-13 PSU after a 49-10 beatdown in 2016.

IMO, Penn State is plenty capable of winning vs Michigan at home, and could win at Columbus, though likely to be an underdog.

One local expert thinks PSU has a 10% chance vs Michigan in 2023, even though it's at Happy Valley.

Here is a HOTLINK TO ARTICLE.

PSU had been ranked Top 5 in virtually all these early predictions of the Pre-Season Top 25 Rankings.
Joel Klatt. He's in a long dick contest with Herbstreit. I remember him as a failed CU quarterback and then he was a local sports guy in Denver where he got his gasbag training. I always ignore both him and Herbstreit

Reactions: step.eng69
happens every year. lets get the faithful all pumped up and we still can't beat scum and osu in the same year.

WTF are you talking about toolboy - PSU started last season unranked in the AP Pre-Season Poll (the poll all these way-too-early rankings are attempting to predict). We finished #7 (11-2) and beat PAC12 Champion Utah in the Rose Bowl - a Utah team that handed USC both of its regular season losses last year and including the PAC12 CG which knocked USC out of the CFP 4-Team Invitational.

Joel Klatt. He's in a long dick contest with Herbstreit. I remember him as a failed CU quarterback and then he was a local sports guy in Denver where he got his gasbag training. I always ignore both him and Herbstreit

It isn't just Klatt (FOX) making this prediction - all of the major media providers are projecting PSU in Top 5. Phil Steele is considered the most accurate prognosticator of CFP Analysts and he is projecting PSU at #5 in the AP Pre-Season Poll: here is a HOTLINK TO THE ARTICLE. So again, it isn't just Klatt/FOX projecting this.

It isn't just Klatt (FOX) making this prediction - all of the major media providers are projecting PSU in Top 5. Phil Steele is considered the most accurate prognosticator of CFP Analysts and he is projecting PSU at #5 in the AP Pre-Season Poll: here is a HOTLINK TO THE ARTICLE. So again, it isn't just Klatt/FOX projecting this.
oh, I'm aware. All i need is the headline re: PSU and I'm good without reading the article. But who needs any of them when you have Wally right here.

Good luck trying to pick a winner in the B1G East this year. We could see 2 more B1G teams in the Playoffs again in 2023. I'm actually going to pick PSU this year - provided their OL comes through and protects Allar.

Penn State got wins vs Michigan in 2017 and 2019. In 2017, it was 42-13 PSU after a 49-10 beatdown in 2016.

IMO, Penn State is plenty capable of winning vs Michigan at home, and could win at Columbus, though likely to be an underdog.

One local expert thinks PSU has a 10% chance vs Michigan in 2023, even though it's at Happy Valley.
Pure garbage - he's not an "expert." PSU has a decent shot at the B1G championship this year. I honestly think that the B1G depends on 2 units and how they play - the PSU OL and the OSU defense (it's blown chunks the last 3 or 4 years).

Reactions: DeLionNc and royboy
Pure garbage - he's not an "expert." PSU has a decent shot at the B1G championship this year. I honestly think that the B1G depends on 2 units and how they play - the PSU OL and the OSU defense (it's blown chunks the last 3 or 4 years).
I agree with you on all counts. Not sure what to expect for the OSU defense, but I think the PSU OL will be quite good.

As to the "expert" -- I was going for sarcasm. A 10% chance of PSU beating Michigan at Happy Valley this season is way too low -- though in keeping with some of the other takes from that particular "expert".

2017 and 19 aren't really comparable to 2023. Michigan was not built sustainable at that point hence the wild swings. They are now. The point that really matters is that, under Franklin we are 0 and 5 against Michigan when they are good (key metric), 3 of the five losses were uncompetitive (16, 18, 22), the fourth wasn't close (2015) and had Blake Corum played in 2021, they don't use the 3 yards and a cloud of dust game plan and things probably get ugly.

Last edited:
I agree with you on all counts. Not sure what to expect for the OSU defense, but I think the PSU OL will be quite good.

As to the "expert" -- I was going for sarcasm. A 10% chance of PSU beating Michigan at Happy Valley this season is way too low -- though in keeping with some of the other takes from that particular "expert".
See the above post. Strongly suggests 10% is the most accurate estimate. If Michigan is good, Harbaugh beats Franklin 100% of the time, and he beats him badly 80% of the time. Michigan is going to be good. Perhaps 10% is too high given the established track record. Franklin's record against teams with winning records against teams with winning records is abysmal. We are likely to play four/five such teams this year. The only time Franklin has won more than two games in that scenario is 2019. That is it. Most years, he doesn't win more than one. This goes back to Vanderbilt when he consistently played the softest schedules he has faced.

Last edited:
2017 and 19 aren't really comparable to 2023. Michigan was not built sustainable at that point hence the wild swings. They are now. The point that really matters is that, under Franklin we are 0 and 5 against Michigan when they are good (key metric), 3 of the five losses were uncompetitive (16, 18, 19), the fourth wasn't close (2015) and had Blake Corum played in 2021, they don't use the 3 yards and a cloud of dust game plan and things probably get ugly.

Using your asinine logic, PSU is 60% (3-2) against a Harbaugh led scUM "when they're good" (i.e., go to a CFP Committee Determined NY6 Bowl and finish the season Top 10). That's quite a bit higher than 10%.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Westcoast24
See the above post. Strongly suggests 10% is the most accurate estimate. If Michigan is good, Harbaugh beats Franklin 100% of the time, and he beats him badly 80% of the time. Michigan is going to be good. Perhaps 10% is too high given the established track record. Franklin's record against teams with winning records against teams with winning records is abysmal. We are likely to play four/five such teams this year. The only time Franklin has won more than two games in that scenario is 2019. That is it. Most years, he doesn't win more than one. This goes back to Vanderbilt when he consistently played the softest schedules he has faced.

See the post above, it suggests their probability to win this game using your "when they're good" logic is 60% (3-2) and 100% to win using your "when they're good" logic playing @TheBeav (2-0).

2017 and 19 aren't really comparable to 2023. Michigan was not built sustainable at that point hence the wild swings. They are now. The point that really matters is that, under Franklin we are 0 and 5 against Michigan when they are good (key metric), 3 of the five losses were uncompetitive (16, 18, 22), the fourth wasn't close (2015) and had Blake Corum played in 2021, they don't use the 3 yards and a cloud of dust game plan and things probably get ugly.
OMG! Now, our performance against teams depends on your determination on if they were good?

Reactions: royboy
OMG! Now, our performance against teams depends on your determination on if they were good?

Using his precise "when they're good [i.e., finish Top 10]" logic, a CJF led PSU is 2-0 against Harbaugh's scUM teams @TheBeav and 3-2 overall. Both percentages well over 10% and given that PSU is a near unanimous Pre-Season Top 5 pick, I would think they have a significantly better chance than 10%.

See the post above, it suggests their probability to win this game using your "when they're good" logic is 60% (3-2) and 100% to win using your "when they're good" logic playing @TheBeav (2-0).
Next level gas lighting right here. Are you drunk? High? Can you not read and think? When Michigan is good, they are 5 and 0 against Harbaugh. When they are not good, they are 2 and 3, and one of those losses is 2020 which people like to discount so they are really 2 and 2 and neither of those teams have a win over a good team. Spin away like you always do.

Yes. Keep this in mind:

1. If we beat them, they weren't that good.
2. If they beat us, we can't beat good teams.

Follow this and the Pigeon will never cause you strife again!
You are just mad because you know I am right. My opinion doesn't come into play here. Franklin rarely beats good teams. That is a fact. The biggest factor to predicting a win/loss is an opponents record against power 5 and group of 5 teams with winning records. He beats the bad ones, losses to the good wins at close to a 90% clip. It was true at Vanderbilt. It has been true at Penn State. It is why his career record 8 and 4. He is not a solid to good coach. Not a great or elite one. Go look at the records of the teams we beat last year. It is really really bad. Historically bad. Fact matter.

Ho
You are just mad because you know I am right. My opinion doesn't come into play here. Franklin rarely beats good teams. That is a fact. The biggest factor to predicting a win/loss is an opponents record against power 5 and group of 5 teams with winning records. He beats the bad ones, losses to the good wins at close to a 90% clip. It was true at Vanderbilt. It has been true at Penn State. It is why his career record 8 and 4. He is not a solid to good coach. Not a great or elite one. Go look at the records of the teams we beat last year. It is really really bad. Historically bad. Fact matter.
How about Utah? Did they suck?

Next level gas lighting right here. Are you drunk? High? Can you not read and think? When Michigan is good, they are 5 and 0 against Harbaugh. When they are not good, they are 2 and 3, and one of those losses is 2020 which people like to discount so they are really 2 and 2 and neither of those teams have a win over a good team. Spin away like you always do.

Using your identical logic dumba$$, a CJF PSU team is 2-0 against Harbaugh scUM teams @TheBeav and 2-2 home or away "when they're good". CJF PSU teams are 1-3 against Harbaugh scUM teams when they're bad or mediocre.

Last edited:
Ho

How about Utah? Did they suck?

Utah gave USC both their regular season losses and are the only reason duhO$U got a spot in the CFP 4-Team Invitational - USC was #4 in the CFP Rankings going into the Conference Chapionship Games. Had USC not had to play a CCG like duhO$U, they go in front of duhO$U, so it's rather comical to say Utah isn't a good team when they won the Pac12 Championship via the Pac12 CG and handed USC their only 2 regular-season losses last year.

Last edited:

Using your identical logic dumba$$, a CJF PSU team is 2-0 against Harbaugh scUM teams @TheBeav and 2-2 home or away "when they're good". CJF PSU teams are 1-3 against Harbaugh scUM teams when they're bad or mediocre.

Again, using your own imbecilic logic - under CJF, PSU is 3-1 against Harbaugh scUM teams when they are ranked in the Top 15 of the AP Pre-Season Poll (0-4 when not). Given that they're a consensus Top 10 Team this year, I guess this suggests we have a better than 10% Chance of beating scUM at home by your very own criteria ("when they're good"..... blah, blah, blah). PSU was unranked in the AP Pre-Season Poll in 2015, 2016 and last year.... and not expected to threaten the top of the poll in 2021 after starting out 0-5 and going 4-5 in 2020.

Nobody is mad Peggy. We all get a kick out of your schtik. Don't change! It's the off season and we need the humor.

FaCt. MaTtEr.

Again, using your own imbecilic logic - under CJF, PSU is 3-1 against Harbaugh scUM teams when they are ranked in the Top 15 of the AP Pre-Season Poll (0-4 when not). Given that they're a consensus Top 10 Team this year, I guess this suggests we have a better than 10% Chance of beating scUM at home by your very own criteria ("when they're good"..... blah, blah, blah). PSU was unranked in the AP Pre-Season Poll in 2015, 2016 and last year.... and not expected to threaten the top of the poll in 2021 after starting out 0-5 and going 4-5 in 2020.
You do understand that we are 0 and 2 when both teams are good right? Again, 10% chance is spot on given the history of the series even if you want to take the rosiest comparison.

Nobody is mad Peggy. We all get a kick out of your schtik. Don't change! It's the off season and we need the humor.

FaCt. MaTtEr.
No, actually you are mad. It is obvious. You don't want to hear anything that makes you uncomfortable and it shows. You aren't so bad compared to other folks however. We do have some of the most toxic fans on the planet.

You do understand that we are 0 and 2 when both teams are good right? Again, 10% chance is spot on given the history of the series even if you want to take the rosiest comparison.

Both of those games were played @TheBigOuthouse....., neither played @TheBeav dolt-boy. When highly ranked in the AP Pre-Season Poll and playing @TheBeav PSU is 2-0 against Harbaugh's scUM teams. BTW, not only were both played @scUM, but PSU was not ranked in the inaugural AP Pre-Season Poll in either 2016 or last year.... - in both years, PSU got better as the season progressed and lost to scUM fairly early in the season (in 2016, PSU lost @scUM in their B1G opener and 4th Game of the season. Last year, PSU lost @scUM in their 6th Game.). Again, in both seasons PSU got much better as the season progressed.... starting both seasons unranked and finishing in a CFP NY6 Bowl and solidly within Top 10. This year is quite a bit different in that PSU is a projected Top 5 team going into the season (this team is a much better team from the start of the season) and the game will be played @TheBeav. Again, CJF and PSU are 2-0 against scUM when going into the season highly ranked and playing @home.

Last edited:
No, actually you are mad. It is obvious. You don't want to hear anything that makes you uncomfortable and it shows. You aren't so bad compared to other folks however. We do have some of the most toxic fans on the planet.

I love you buddy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT