ADVERTISEMENT

It's not like a blind man couldn't see it coming, but.....

Article from 2009 (fwiw):

Most Big Ten schools force fans to pay large amounts upfront to be eligible to purchase premium season tickets. The following figures are based on 2009 minimum donation prices, per seat, for season tickets near the 45-yard lines.

School...Fee per seat
Ohio State...$1,500
Iowa...$600
Michigan...$500
Michigan State...$500
Minnesota...$500
Wisconsin...$250
Purdue...$200
Penn State*...$100
Illinois...$100
Indiana...$0
Northwestern...$0
*Penn State's fee will rise to $600 in 2011

I appreciated your comment, but the first three responders to it have convinced me that you are all wet.

So, tell me, what else are you all wet about?

He's definitely wrong - I know from personal experience that there is no "grandfathering" or inheriting of Seats or NLC Points beyond a spouse where tickets were held jointly and one spouse dies. Beyond seats and NLC Points being tied to finite lifetimes, an annual contribution must be maintained to maintain your status in addition to a specific NLC accummulated point total.

Article from 2009 (fwiw):

Most Big Ten schools force fans to pay large amounts upfront to be eligible to purchase premium season tickets. The following figures are based on 2009 minimum donation prices, per seat, for season tickets near the 45-yard lines.

School...Fee per seat
Ohio State...$1,500
Iowa...$600
Michigan...$500
Michigan State...$500
Minnesota...$500
Wisconsin...$250
Purdue...$200
Penn State*...$100
Illinois...$100
Indiana...$0
Northwestern...$0
*Penn State's fee will rise to $600 in 2011

BTW - On a somewhat tangential note, and I am not certain that I found results for EVERY B1G program, but the only University I found that still uses a model similar to the old "NLC Model" is Nebraska

Nebraska is a program with TREMENDOUS fan loyalty.....located in the middle of nowhere.

They still - IIRC - have sold out EVERY game for 40 + years (and have a fairly lengthy "waiting list" for tickets)

Even though the program has not had a season with less than FOUR losses since 2003 (four different coaches during that time).

Just sayin' :)

Reactions: ChiTownLion
He's definitely wrong - I know from personal experience that there is no "grandfathering" or inheriting of Seats or NLC Points beyond a spouse where tickets were held jointly and one spouse dies. Beyond seats and NLC Points being tied to finite lifetimes, an annual contribution must be maintained to maintain your status in addition to a specific NLC accummulated point total.
I am not sure that people really think people were getting "grand-fathered" but more reporting of the urban legend that when the grand-father died the son kept a bank account in his name and that bank account moved down the line so there were people 120 years old buying tickets. I have had people tell aboout friends of theirs doing this but I have always called BS.

Reactions: bjf1984
BTW - On a somewhat tangential note, and I am not certain that I found results for EVERY B1G program, but the only University I found that still uses a model similar to the old "NLC Model" is Nebraska

Nebraska is a program with TREMENDOUS fan loyalty.....located in the middle of nowhere.

They still - IIRC - have sold out EVERY game for 40 + years (and have a fairly lengthy "waiting list" for tickets)

Even though the program has not had a season with less than FOUR losses since 2003 (four different coaches during that time).

Just sayin' :)

Their capacity is much smaller. Had we not made that last expansion, PSU might be still in a similar situation. We almost certainly would have been at a stadium size of 90K.

That was the big mistake. IMHO. Loyalty became worthless--and folks reacted to that in droves.
Yes they did. "Sing our love and loyalty" was something I did, literally, every day. There was literally nothing I would not do, within reason, to help Penn State become better. If she needed money, a volunteer, a letter to a politician, whatever it was, I was there. Then, with STEP, they treated me as if all that meant nothing. Later, I saw it in the worst possible way when all that Joe did meant nothing and the BOT rushed to judgment and threw him out. As I said Saturday, my relationship with Penn State is on life support and I don't think anyone in our leadership gives a damn.

Their capacity is much smaller. Had we not made that last expansion, PSU might be still in a similar situation. We almost certainly would have been at a stadium size of 90K.
Uh.....the capacity is 90,000, and there is a waiting list for every game, every year - just like there used to be at PSU (in a state with a population density 1/10 of Pennsylvania)

But that wasn't really the point.

Uh.....the capacity is 90,000, and there is a waiting list for every game, every year - just like there used to be at PSU (in a state with a population density 1/10 of Pennsylvania)

But that wasn't really the point.

You missed my point. Nebraska has about 20K less seats to fill each game. Had Penn State been less aggressive about expanding the Beav, they might well have found themselves in the same situation that Nebraska currently enjoys--with or without step.

And it's not all about population density either. Fans in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh have other high-level options for sports entertainment close to home. Nebraska does not.

"Had Penn State been less aggressive about expanding the Beav, they might well have found themselves in the same situation that Nebraska currently enjoys--with or without step."

Of course they could have....simple supply/demand. They could also drop the capacity to 50,000 and have one hell of a waiting list :)
But that wasn't the point of the OP.

The point that the STEP debacle, as opposed to the "old" plan that rewarded loyalty (ala UNL - which still has a loyalty-based program) significantly hurt attendance.

And...I believe Nebraska has Museums and an Opera House too :)

I dont know where you got your info from, but just checked my account for NLC this year...total of $855 for 2 seats and parking add 200 for seat license thats around 75 and change a game

I dont know where you got your info from, but just checked my account for NLC this year...total of $855 for 2 seats and parking add 200 for seat license thats around 75 and change a game
Uh......because those were, as written, for the seats in the $400 dollar "donation" section......which is where you can currently get those discounted seats

There are various price points throughout the stadium.

"Had Penn State been less aggressive about expanding the Beav, they might well have found themselves in the same situation that Nebraska currently enjoys--with or without step."

Of course they could have....simple supply/demand. They could also drop the capacity to 50,000 and have one hell of a waiting list :)
But that wasn't the point of the OP.

The point that the STEP debacle, as opposed to the "old" plan that rewarded loyalty (ala UNL - which still has a loyalty-based program) significantly hurt attendance.

And...I believe Nebraska has Museums and an Opera House too :)

And so to compare Nebraska with PSU without taking that into consideration is comparing apples and oranges. The lack of STEP and a ticket scheme like the old NLC is *not* the reason (or at least not the sole reason) for Nebraska's waiting list. A reduced capacity compared with the Beav is a significant factor.

Seats that cost a season ticket holder $112 per game ($385 for the ticket, $400 for the "donation" ...divided by 7 games = $112 per ticket per game).....

Being sold for $40 a piece......from PSU ticket office (not re-sale tickets). Just have a current student pick up the tickets.

How long will the fans continue to be played for suckers by the AD? Its worse than the ticket pricing structure of the airlines.......the "loyal season ticket holder" is going to be sitting in the seat next to folks who only paid 1/3 of the price he paid.

Oh.....and per game parking was raised 50%.

ALL IS WELL......Sandy hired another Associate to the Assistant Associate AD.

Her title will be:

Associate to the Assistant Associate AD in charge of:
Unified Responses to Sustained Cost Reallocations, for the Wealth of Department (U R SCRWD)

th

I told you a-holes......I want my box painted MAUVE!! Hop to it!

th

If my check bounces, don't think I won't be coming after your ass!!

th

Every GD one of these seats will be filled with the ass of an Associate Assistant AD.....or my name isn't Sandy Barbour!

I've done it before.....I can damn well do it again!!!

th
=
th
Here's a clue: You can usually buy tickets for much less than face value. For the big games, you can pay a premium on third party sites which will still be less than the price with the contribution.
PSU is playing the loyalists for suckers to pay the $700K salary of an incompetent AD.

Reactions: bjf1984
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT