ADVERTISEMENT

Is the New Years 6 Bowls really that much better than Citrus or Outback?

Judge Smails

May 29, 2001
EDIT: *ARE the NY6 bowls etc......

Don't you think there will be more eyeballs on a New Years Day bowl game than the Cotton bowl at 8:30pm on a Friday night? I think playing on New Years Day ("I.....will be with you again"...) gets just as much attention as the NY6 games.

This is SI.com projection from last week. I'm not going to get worked up about it either way. Mississippi State isn't exactly high on my wish list, however.

MONDAY, JAN. 1, 2018
Outback Bowl, Tampa, Fla. (12 p.m., ESPN2)
Big Ten vs. SEC
Michigan State vs. South Carolina

Citrus Bowl, Orlando, Fla. (1 p.m., ABC)
SEC vs. ACC/Big Ten
Mississippi State vs. Penn State

NEW YEAR'S SIX BOWLS
Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic, Arlington, Texas (Dec. 29, 8:30 p.m., ESPN)
At-large vs. At-large
Auburn vs. Notre Dame

PlayStation Fiesta Bowl, Glendale, Ariz. (Dec. 30, 4 p.m., ESPN)
At-large vs. At-large
Washington State vs. TCU

Capital One Orange Bowl, Miami Gardens, Fla. (Dec. 30, 8 p.m., ESPN)
ACC vs. Big Ten, SEC or Notre Dame
Clemson vs. Georgia

Reactions: step.eng69
If PSU was a shoe-in for an NY6 bowl, would anyone be asking this?

Football aside, I'd rather visit Orlando on 1/1 as opposed to Dallas on 12/29. Add in football and I'd rather watch a game in Orlando on 1/1 at 1:00PM as opposed to sitting in Jerry World on 12/29 at 8:30PM.

With bowl revenue sharing the $$$ is the same. There will also be more eyeballs on New Year's Day.

Reactions: Judge Smails
The money is split up among the conference, right? We probably get a higher travel stipend or something?

The Outback Bowl pays out about $3.5M, the Citrus Bowl about $4.5M, and the non-playoff NY6 bowls about $4M, so there's not much of a difference (playoff semifinal is about $6M). The best payout for the Big Ten this year would be having a playoff team and two more NY6 teams not in the Orange Bowl (to get a Big Ten team in the Citrus Bowl as well), so that's probably what they'll "lobby" for.

Don't you think there will be more eyeballs on a New Years Day bowl game than the Cotton bowl at 8:30pm on a Friday night? I think playing on New Years Day ("I.....will be with you again"...) gets just as much attention as the NY6 games.

This is SI.com projection from last week. I'm not going to get worked up about it either way. Mississippi State isn't exactly high on my wish list, however.

MONDAY, JAN. 1, 2018
Big Ten vs. SEC

SEC vs. ACC/Big Ten

NEW YEAR'S SIX BOWLS
At-large vs. At-large
Auburn vs. Notre Dame

At-large vs. At-large
Washington State vs. TCU

Clemson vs. Georgia

The payoff doesn't come from eyes watching the actual game, IMO. The payoff is the hype leading up to the game. Rightly or wrongly, NY6 bowl games get defacto hype. The rest of the bowl games get very little hype (just some targeted ads).

Someone actually has interest in playing Miss State or South Carolina? If we're going to have to play a meaningless game I'd much rather go against Georgia, Notre Dame, Auburn or TCU...let's have a real test to see if we have a valid complaint about not getting more respect. Beating a mid-level SEC team, especially Miss State without Fitzgerald, doesn't show us anything,

The payoff doesn't come from eyes watching the actual game, IMO. The payoff is the hype leading up to the game. Rightly or wrongly, NY6 bowl games get defacto hype. The rest of the bowl games get very little hype (just some targeted ads).

Playoff semi-finals get hype. Rest of the bowl games get shit.

The Outback Bowl pays out about $3.5M, the Citrus Bowl about $4.5M, and the non-playoff NY6 bowls about $4M, so there's not much of a difference (playoff semifinal is about $6M). The best payout for the Big Ten this year would be having a playoff team and two more NY6 teams not in the Orange Bowl (to get a Big Ten team in the Citrus Bowl as well), so that's probably what they'll "lobby" for.
Payoff? Who in the world cares about payoff? We have a corrupt BOT that give away 100's of millions not based on facts, but to hide the facts...payoff in dollars means absolutely nothing...only view of "payoff" would be the best experience for our team and our fan base....

MONDAY, JAN. 1, 2018
Big Ten vs. SEC

SEC vs. ACC/Big Ten

NEW YEAR'S SIX BOWLS
At-large vs. At-large
Auburn vs. Notre Dame

At-large vs. At-large
Washington State vs. TCU

Clemson vs. Georgia

how would TCU and Auburn be in the NY6 games with 3 losses??? that would put both of them barely in top 25.

how would TCU and Auburn be in the NY6 games with 3 losses??? that would put both of them barely in top 25.

LOL @ thinking Auburn would barely be in the top 25 at 9-3
TCU probably has to beat OU to be ahead of us but if they lose to OU twice it might not be held against them

Guess I’m a sucker then, because I love bowl season and never once thought the outcome for Penn State in a bowl game was meaningless.

Carries momentum into the offseason, particularly for recruiting. Not so much for the 2018 croots, but for the following class.

Guess I’m a sucker then, because I love bowl season and never once thought the outcome for Penn State in a bowl game was meaningless.

I enjoy bowl season but it's just because I love football. These games have absolutely no meaning. They're exhibitions.

The only purpose a "post-season" game should serve is to determine a champion. If people would stop spending money on meaningless games we could get a real playoff. But enjoy your trip to Texas or Florida.

Seriously did beating or losing to USC mean anything? The game served as a highlight for Saqoun and Sam--little else

I enjoy bowl season but it's just because I love football. These games have absolutely no meaning. They're exhibitions.

The only purpose a "post-season" game should serve is to determine a champion. If people would stop spending money on meaningless games we could get a real playoff. But enjoy your trip to Texas or Florida.

Seriously did beating or losing to USC mean anything? The game served as a highlight for Saqoun and Sam--little else

How would a NY6 bowl game against a top 10 opponent be meaningless? Is today's game against 4-7 Maryland meaningless? Was Pitt's win vs. Miami meaningless? Is Auburn vs. Alabama the only meaningful game today?

Joe was 24-12 in bowls including 13-4 in "majors". Why do they keep a record of such things if they are meaningless?

Reactions: mn78psu83
How would a NY6 bowl game against a top 10 opponent be meaningless? Is today's game against 4-7 Maryland meaningless? Was Pitt's win vs. Miami meaningless? Is Auburn vs. Alabama the only meaningful game today?

Joe was 24-12 in bowls including 13-4 in "majors". Why do they keep a record of such things if they are meaningless?

They keep records for everything. Once Penn State lost to Michigan State our season was over. Any hope for a title was gone. Just like forany team in the NFL--once eliminated from the title the games are meaningless. I still watch because I enjoy football but I will spend as much, if not more, time today watching Auburn-Alabama because it is the most important game of the day. Our game is just basically seeing Barkley one more time--maybe one final time if he's smart.

Pretend we lose today--what's the real impact? Outback instead of Cotton Bowl? Who cares? I'm not going to pretend games have meaning when they don't. Everyone keeps talking about how the lack of a playoff creates the best regular season. It doesn't. It creates less important games. With a 16 team or ideally 24 team playoff we'd be playing for seeding today.

Just based on posts I get the sense most people here are Penn State fans that "tolerate" college football as opposed to college football fans that love/root for Penn State.

Yeah, because I accept the fact that winning or losing anything other than a playoff game doesn't mean a damn thing. How naïve I am. smh
C'mon dude, live a little. Do you think sex should only be for procreation?? The early bowls were created as a way to lure tourists to warm climates when said potential tourists had some free time during the holiday season. It's not a coincidence the Rose Bowl and Orange Bowl are in warm weather locales. You're right, the games were/are exhibitions but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be a fun diversion for fans. The argument can be made that since nothing bigger than a win is on the line, those in attendance can have even more fun since there will be no disappointment of losing out on a possible championship.

They keep records for everything. Once Penn State lost to Michigan State our season was over. Any hope for a title was gone. Just like forany team in the NFL--once eliminated from the title the games are meaningless. I still watch because I enjoy football but I will spend as much, if not more, time today watching Auburn-Alabama because it is the most important game of the day. Our game is just basically seeing Barkley one more time--maybe one final time if he's smart.

Pretend we lose today--what's the real impact? Outback instead of Cotton Bowl? Who cares? I'm not going to pretend games have meaning when they don't. Everyone keeps talking about how the lack of a playoff creates the best regular season. It doesn't. It creates less important games. With a 16 team or ideally 24 team playoff we'd be playing for seeding today.

Just based on posts I get the sense most people here are Penn State fans that "tolerate" college football as opposed to college football fans that love/root for Penn State.

Finishing with 10 or 11 wins has meaning. Finishing in the Top 10 has meaning. When you are building to be one of the elite teams in college football, every game has meaning. It's all building blocks. Winning --> Better recruits --> more winning.

Reactions: psu2016
C'mon dude, live a little. Do you think sex should only be for procreation?? The early bowls were created as a way to lure tourists to warm climates when said potential tourists had some free time during the holiday season. It's not a coincidence the Rose Bowl and Orange Bowl are in warm weather locales. You're right, the games were/are exhibitions but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be a fun diversion for fans. The argument can be made that since nothing bigger than a win is on the line, those in attendance can have even more fun since there will be no disappointment of losing out on a possible championship.

Who said not to enjoy it? I enjoyed the Rose Bowl last year but I wasn't going to pretend it had meaning. Sadly, if people keep spending money on these bowls we're going to be stuck with it unless a legit playoff like in every other sport. I want a real playoff. I'd much rather see Penn State as 9-12 seed (or 5 seed last year) instead of playing in a bowl game in which winning means nothing.

As they should since they are meaningless...still amazed anyone spends money to go to these bowl games.

Hype has nothing to do with meaning. Networks hype games to attract viewership. Networks don't care about meaning, they care about money. They hype semifinal games at the expense of other NY6 games because they sell commercial time during semifinals for a shit load more than non-semis. The more advertisers pay for commercial spots, the more pissed off they get when ratings suck. Network executives do not like pissed-off advertisers.

College football has the best regular season in all of sports by a wide margin. How would going to a 16 or 32 game playoff make the sport any better? It just makes the September games as meaningless as they are in the NFL. I love the do or die importance of every game.

I just don’t get why people think this sport is broke and needs fixed.

Reactions: psu2016
Finishing with 10 or 11 wins has meaning. Finishing in the Top 10 has meaning. When you are building to be one of the elite teams in college football, every game has meaning. It's all building blocks. Winning --> Better recruits --> more winning.

What does the extra bowl game add? Wouldn't playing in a playoff game have infinitely more weight?

We're heading in the right direction toward elite. Losing to USC last year didn't change that. Nor would losing this year. Nor will winning speed up the process. That loss to Michigan State and blowing a big lead to Ohio State carries more weight than anything that happens in the bowl game.

Wouldn't it be great if we actually beat a good team this year to sell our program? Too bad Michigan wasn't legit

College football has the best regular season in all of sports by a wide margin. How would going to a 16 or 32 game playoff make the sport any better? It just makes the September games as meaningless as they are in the NFL. I love the do or die importance of every game.

Tell me...how many games this weekend have an impact on the playoff? 7-9?
When you make these comments do you consider Group of 5 teams that have no shot from day 1? How absurd is it that a sport exists where half the teams have no shot at a title simply because of the set up nothing else.

You're looking at it from the top--not as a whole. Ask UCF if the system is great.

Guys, you are arguing with a Troll. Go look at his posting history. Ignore is your friend.

They already are meaningless.

By your logic all but 4 or so of PSU's seasons have all been over in October if not sooner.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT