ADVERTISEMENT

Is Penn St respected on a national level like Michigan & Ohio St?

I would say yes, respected nationally but not to the level of OSU and UM. I think most have them in tier 1 and PSU in tier 2.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
Though UM has a good team this year, I don't see them garnering more respect than Penn State. This when viewed over a period of years.
Yeah, I think that Michigan has dropped since they haven’t had a top ten team in years. And the playoff system put an exclamation point on their drop in status since they haven’t even been in the consideration. And consistently coming in third in the East division really hurts them.

I would say yes, respected nationally but not to the level of OSU and UM. I think most have them in tier 1 and PSU in tier 2.
During the playoff era there is a Tier 1A and a tier 1B with 1A being Alabama, Oklahoma, Clemson and Ohio State. 1B would be Penn State, LSU, Notre Dame, Michigan, Michigan State, Oregon and what ever SEC school is having a good year, right now Georgia. Tier 2 would be very different.

• Haha
Reactions: Sten_Analoot
During the playoff era there is a Tier 1A and a tier 1B with 1A being Alabama, Oklahoma, Clemson and Ohio State. 1B would be Penn State, LSU, Notre Dame, Michigan, Michigan State, Oregon and what ever SEC school is having a good year, right now Georgia. Tier 2 would be very different.
Until PSU makes the playoffs, I wouldn’t put them in there with LSU, ND, or Oregon. Even though MSU made it to the show once, I think they’re below 1B as well.

We used to be above O$U. Michigan? When have they win anything. All that said, PSU is taking on water.
I think the huge attention paid to the White Out along with the Barkley years has really elevated Penn State on a national level. The WO is constantly discussed as the epitome of college game day experience. But the team needs to get back on track or that great pub won’t be enough to sustain such lofty status.

I think the huge attention paid to the White Out along with the Barkley years has really elevated Penn State on a national level. The WO is constantly discussed as the epitome of college game day experience. But the team needs to get back on track or that great pub won’t be enough to sustain such lofty status.
With all due respect, I believe you over-value the White Out.

We have lost a lot of national respect the past 2 seasons. Just gotta win to earn respect. And I agree with the poster above that until we make the playoffs, we cannot be a Tier 1 team. We are a Tier 2 team and sliding downward quickly.

Penn State had tremendous respect when you were an Independent. I know you had to join a conference because that's the way the wind was blowing. I think it will be difficult to come back to the glory days of Paterno due to the fact there just doesn't seem to be as much talent in Pennsylvania as there once was.

Or just in the Midwest/East coast
No and why should they be. They haven't made the playoffs. The last championship and undefeated season was 1994. The last B10 championship was 2016 and 2008 before that. PSU is not on OSU's level. We all know that. At times close, but have almost always fell short.

Can make a case against Michigan, but not sure PSU is that relevant nationally nor as relevant as posters here think they are.

Though UM has a good team this year, I don't see them garnering more respect than Penn State. This when viewed over a period of years.
Depends on the time frame. I assumed OP meant for all-time and UM definitely is considered one of the best and is generally a tier above PSU. Over the past decade or so then it's probably flipped with PSU ahead of UM, with OSU miles ahead of both.

UM is not respected nationally (at least in football; they are respected as a fine academic institution, as is PSU). The biggest national perception of UM (even with increased/fleeting success this year) is that Harbaugh underperforms. That's the national narrative.

Reactions: PSU621 and psu00
Not at all actually. The whiteout is widely viewed as a bucket list sort of experience now, even for neutral fans of other programs.
As an outside observer, I don't think this is true, at all. While Penn State may have started this or been ahead of the curve, many (all ?) schools do their own version now. I do not believe that other schools or fans care at all about Penn State's version of same. While impressive, I doubt any are making the trip to see it and at most, some may flip on the tv for a few minutes to check it out.

I think UM has national respect and ranks above PSU despite the limited high level success over the last 10 + years. In that time, they have still had lots of 9/10 win seasons and NYD bowls.

A poster above said it best , putting PSU in a well respected category, but below those who have been in the playoff recently.

As an outside observer, I don't think this is true, at all. While Penn State may have started this or been ahead of the curve, many (all ?) schools do their own version now. I do not believe that other schools or fans care at all about Penn State's version of same. While impressive, I doubt any are making the trip to see it and at most, some may flip on the tv for a few minutes to check it out.

I think UM has national respect and ranks above PSU despite the limited high level success over the last 10 + years. In that time, they have still had lots of 9/10 win seasons and NYD bowls.

A poster above said it best , putting PSU in a well respected category, but below those who have been in the playoff recently.
I think you are wrong about the white out. I have met multiple fans at multiple white outs who were not fans of PSU or the opposing team, but wanted to come see the White Out. Or more commonly, opposing fans who haven't seen it before (e.g. Auburn) being excited to experience it.

No one has done a "color out" that is executed as well as PSU's. No one.

Compare the Bowl records of Bo and Woody vs Joe. Compare the Win loss records of PSU vs Michigan from 1965 vs 2000
I'm not looking but I bet PSU is as good or better.
Bowl records are important because they can't use the weak eastern schedule as a excuse.

I don't think Michigan or PSU are Tier 1 if that includes the same 5 teams every year.

Once the playoffs are expanded to 8 the Tier 1 -2 narrative will change.

Just this year Auburn fans said the PSU game was in huge demand because their fans wanted to see the white out

It's a regional power, only.

IMO Penn State is quickly becoming the Joe Biden of FBS football. No way CJF can 'run for president' again. There isn't a likely replacement on staff, so it's time to cull the market looking for a replacement. Chose wisely because should the replacement fail then it could be the death knell of PSU football due to Americans' declining standard-of-living. And our program is not alone in this regard. I envision the day when there's only two dozen or so college football programs remaining. And FCS is toast.

Penn State is head and shoulders above Michigan. Quality school, quality fans. Consistently one of the toughest teams in the BIG. Everyone in the league knows playing PSU will be likely their toughest game of the year.

IMO Penn State is quickly becoming the Joe Biden of FBS football. No way CJF can 'run for president' again. There isn't a likely replacement on staff, so it's time to cull the market looking for a replacement. Chose wisely because should the replacement fail then it could be the death knell of PSU football due to Americans' declining standard-of-living. And our program is not alone in this regard. I envision the day when there's only two dozen or so college football programs remaining. And FCS is toast.
But Biden did, as Barack Obiden.

Well the good news is at least JF knows when he loses and doesn't storm the field crying like a b!tch.

Reactions: joeaubie21

Here's a trivia question for you:

Since 2016 (I'm not counting 2014 or 2015 because of sanctions), how many coaches have more double digit wins seasons than CJF? (note: also not fair to count 2020 since not everyone played double digit number of games due to covid)

Depends on the time frame. I assumed OP meant for all-time and UM definitely is considered one of the best and is generally a tier above PSU. Over the past decade or so then it's probably flipped with PSU ahead of UM, with OSU miles ahead of both.
O$U is clearly more respected than PSU. scUM in the 60's, 70's and maybe even after we won our nattys they were considered a blueblood power program of the vaunted B10 while we were ok but in the east and played patsies. Now scUM and us are considered equal.

O$U is clearly more respected than PSU. scUM in the 60's, 70's and maybe even after we won our nattys they were considered a blueblood power program of the vaunted B10 while we were ok but in the east and played patsies. Now scUM and us are considered equal.
The only reason UM fans still think they are in the same breath as tOSU is due to the annual lose to OSU for them. Hell MSU has owned UM and has better luck against tOSU than UM has. Ted is delusional.

Look at the media ratings. My impression is we lag those who ( may be wrong re Mich.).

Its definitely true. OSU is above us. Michigan still has the media believing they are the same program as they were in the 70s & 80s under Schembechler. Obviously they are not better than PSU as a program for the past 15 years. How many B1Gbtitles or division championships have they won since PSU joined? If we didn't have a few wins against them stolen away from us I think the perception and reality would have us ahead of them.

The best thing that could happen to UM & MSU (or maybe Ind) is for the B1G to add 2 more Eastern schools and move UM & MSU/Ind to the west while retaining their "big game" with OSU to end the regular season.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Its definitely true. OSU is above us. Michigan still has the media believing they are the same program as they were in the 70s & 80s under Schembechler. Obviously they are not better than PSU as a program for the past 15 years. How many B1Gbtitles or division championships have they won since PSU joined? If we didn't have a few wins against them stolen away from us I think the perception and reality would have us ahead of them.

The best thing that could happen to UM & MSU (or maybe Ind) is for the B1G to add 2 more Eastern schools and move UM & MSU/Ind to the west while retaining their "big game" with OSU to end the regular season.
Only by admitting morons.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT