ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time for PSU fans to admit that we're actually pretty good?

2 loss Utah has played teams with combined 53-43 record.

2 loss Alabama has played teams with a 57-40 record.

2 loss Ole Miss has played teams with a 52-46 record.

2 loss LSU has played teams with a 59-38 record.

2 loss PSU has played teams with a 57-42 record.

All of the above 2 loss teams are currently ranked higher than PSU. Only LSU and Alabama have played a schedule with a collective record slightly better than PSU. Utah and Ole Miss played teams with a collective record slightly worse than PSU.

Those that say that PSU's schedule and record is not impressive aren't understanding that our schedule is as tough as the average 2 loss team with an average of a top 10 ranking. Tell me another team whose only 2 losses came to currently undefeated teams. There isn't one.

All of the above 2 loss teams are currently ranked higher than PSU. Only LSU and Alabama have played a schedule with a collective record slightly better than PSU. Utah and Ole Miss played teams with a collective slightly worse record.

Those that say that PSU's schedule and record is not impressive aren't understanding that our schedule is as tough as the average 2 loss team with an average of a top 10 ranking. Tell me another team whose only 2 losses came to currently undefeated teams. There isn't one.
Utah beat USC
LSU beat Bama
Bama has the track record
Ole Miss didn't have 2 losses when they were ahead of us.

None of that is surprising

We don't have a quality win--why are you arguing this? Our record is inflated by playing 2 two 5 teams--the rest of our schedule is pathetic as you damn well know

Utah beat USC
LSU beat Bama
Bama has the track record
Ole Miss didn't have 2 losses when they were ahead of us.

None of that is surprising

We don't have a quality win--why are you arguing this? Our record is inflated by playing 2 two 5 teams--the rest of our schedule is pathetic as you damn well know
1. You aren't a PSU fan. Don't use we when describing PSU. You've been called out by a number of posters who recognize that you are not a PSU fan.

2. Define Quality. We have beaten 3 teams currently leading or tied at the top of their division.

3. Utah lost to 6-4 Florida and 8-1 UCLA

LSU lost to 6-3 FSU and 9-1 Tennessee

Bama lost to 8-2 LSU and 9-1 Tennessee and would have lost to 6-4 Texas if not for SEC refs

Ole Miss lost to 10-2 LSU and 10-2 Alabama.

PSU has lost to 10-0 Michigan and 10-0 Ohio St.

Every other 2 loss team has much worse losses than we do.

1) We are knocking on the door of a top 10 ranking with 2 winnable games remaining.

2) The only 2 losses are to undefeated #2 and undefeated #3.

3) 2 wins over 7-3 teams and 2 wins over 6-4 teams. Two of those 4 are leading a division of their conference and may play for their conference championship.

4) We seem to be getting better in spite of more injuries and more young players pressed into key roles.

5) Most 2 loss teams remaining have had weaker schedules to this point and some have games remaining that are likely losses.

Now I know we aren't a playoff team this year but we aren't that far off and we are a very young team and we seem to be improving each week.
The OSU game hurt obviously .

1. You aren't a PSU fan. Don't use we when describing PSU. You've been called out by a number of posters who recognize that you are not a PSU fan.

2. Define Quality. We have beaten 3 teams currently leading or tied at the top of their division.

Bama lost to 8-2 LSU and 9-1 Tennessee and would have lost to 6-4 Texas if not for SEC refs

I'm just not a delusional Penn State fan
A MAC team and 2 Big Ten West teams--none are good as you know
Why are you only looking that losses? The committee looks at Wins and Losses. The SEC and Pac XII have a higher RPI than the Big Ten.
I don't understand why you're angry about. We don't have a quality win which is why we're behind those teams. I think we should be ahead of Utah but it's close.
You keep mention Ole Miss who was 8-1 and ranked 11th--they won't be ahead of us. Using them is the most delusional thing you've said. It's just...illogical. They didn't have 2 losses when they were ranked--why are you using them as an example?
This isn't a conspiracy against us. We just played a shitty schedule other than the two teams that beat us by double digits. The margin of the losses also hurts us. We weren't competitive especially against Michigan

Down goes Oregon
Only teams still in contention for a playoff spot are
Georgia, Tennessee, Ohio State, Michigan, TCU and USC
Maybe LSU with a miracle.

Down goes Oregon
Only teams still in contention for a playoff spot are
Georgia, Tennessee, Ohio State, Michigan, TCU and USC
Maybe LSU with a miracle.
Crazy finish. Oregon goes for it on 4th and 1 but their RB slips. That leaves Washington in range for a game winning FG.

Washington decides to pass on 2nd down and is forced to throw it OOB which stopped the clock. They kick the FG but leave Oregon with 55 seconds and 2 TOs.

Oregon nearly capitalizes but gets called for a questionable WR steeped OOB call.

Depending on who retutns
Yep, but what is encouraging is that some young players have already emerged as leaders and future leaders.

King at CB
Wheatley, Reed and Winston at Safety
Carter and the last few games King at LB
Robinson, DDS and Vanover at DE
Izzard and Durant at DT
Singleton and Allen
Tengwall, Wormley, Shelton and Loane on the OL
Johnson and Warren at TE

Really, WR seems to be the only position where no young player has really emerged or shown big time potential so far this season. Just Washington, with Tinsley and KLS chipping in but not consistently. Lots of young WR's on the roster and it's odd that through 10 games none have really made any big plays.

If some key players such as Jacobs, Beamon, and Dixon return, some other young players emerge in 2023 with Allar being one of them, a few 2023 true freshmen contribute (Rojas, a couple DB's and possibly one of the top olinemen), a couple game breaking WR's will be all that's needed for the team to take the next step. But where will those WR's come from? Hope Stubblefield can find one or two in the portal.........

Last edited:
Reactions: NedFromYork
Crazy finish. Oregon goes for it on 4th and 1 but their RB slips. That leaves Washington in range for a game winning FG.

Washington decides to pass on 2nd down and is forced to throw it OOB which stopped the clock. They kick the FG but leave Oregon with 55 seconds and 2 TOs.

Oregon nearly capitalizes but gets called for a questionable WR steeped OOB call.

I agree the Duck receiver stepping out of bounds was a bit iffy. But they did stop the clock with a fake injury, so sort of balanced out.

I'm just not a delusional Penn State fan
A MAC team and 2 Big Ten West teams--none are good as you know
Why are you only looking that losses? The committee looks at Wins and Losses. The SEC and Pac XII have a higher RPI than the Big Ten.
I don't understand why you're angry about. We don't have a quality win which is why we're behind those teams. I think we should be ahead of Utah but it's close.
You keep mention Ole Miss who was 8-1 and ranked 11th--they won't be ahead of us. Using them is the most delusional thing you've said. It's just...illogical. They didn't have 2 losses when they were ranked--why are you using them as an example?
This isn't a conspiracy against us. We just played a shitty schedule other than the two teams that beat us by double digits. The margin of the losses also hurts us. We weren't competitive especially against Michigan
You create strawman non-PSU fan.

1) I'm not only looking at losses. I added losses because you were only looking at an undefined quality of wins.

2) I am mentioning Ole Miss because they are a 2 loss SEC team with a worse schedule than us and will still likely ranked in the top 15.

3) No one said it was a conspiracy against PSU. You just made that up.

4) If we have a poor schedule than so does every other 2 loss team in the top 15. Our schedule appears to be about as good as any other 2 loss top 15 team using wins and losses of opponents.

This helps our Rose Bowl chances tremendously. Need both U$C and UCLA to lose again, one is guaranteed to lose this week than the other could easily lose in Pac 12 championship game or ND could beat U$C after they beat UCLA. If this happens than the Pac 12 is out of the playoff and sets up for the loser of Mich/O$U to still make playoff if close game. What would help is TCU losing and LSU losing to UGA.

You create strawman non-PSU fan.

1) I'm not only looking at losses. I added losses because you were only looking at an undefined quality of wins.

2) I am mentioning Ole Miss because they are a 2 loss SEC team with a worse schedule than us and will still likely ranked in the top 15.

3) No one said it was a conspiracy against PSU. You just made that up.

4) If we have a poor schedule than so does every other 2 loss team in the top 15. Our schedule appears to be about as good as any other 2 loss top 15 team using wins and losses of opponents.
I'm looking at both. We don't have a single quality win.
And we were still in the top 15, right? They have losses to 2 top 10 teams--why wouldn't they be in the top 15 considering the lack of depth this year
You're acting like it's a conspiracy
Name our best win--tell me a team and we'll compare that to the other teams you're bitching about.
You know you don't have an argument here
You can be happy about this season without pretending we're better than we are or have beat someone good. The way we've beat bad teams is impressive.

Ignore this sap.

This helps our Rose Bowl chances tremendously. Need both U$C and UCLA to lose again, one is guaranteed to lose this week than the other could easily lose in Pac 12 championship game or ND could beat U$C after they beat UCLA. If this happens than the Pac 12 is out of the playoff and sets up for the loser of Mich/O$U to still make playoff if close game. What would help is TCU losing and LSU losing to UGA.
Honestly, we just need TCU and USC to lose a game and we'll get an all SEC/Big Ten playoff. Michigan and Ohio State just can't be a blowout.

I am very happy that we will win 10 or 11 (w/bowl) games this season. Sure, we could have beaten OSU and perhaps could have played a closer game with UM, but all in all a very good season. We like to think we are ‘Bama but the reality is that we only have had 3 elite seasons in 40 years and these 10 win seasons are not exactly the norm either. And this 10 win team is not the end of a cycle but the beginning of one… exciting potential for 23 and 24.

I am very happy that we will win 10 or 11 (w/bowl) games this season. Sure, we could have beaten OSU and perhaps could have played a closer game with UM, but all in all a very good season. We like to think we are ‘Bama but the reality is that we only have had 3 elite seasons in 40 years and these 10 win seasons are not exactly the norm either. And this 10 win team is not the end of a cycle but the beginning of one… exciting potential for 23 and 24.
Well said

lol--you agree with me the majority of the time though you won't own it.
I am objectively critical of PSU. Not like you who is 100% negative, glass half empty on every single positive take.

We played a good game today.... Maryland sucks

We have played and beaten some good teams.....all the teams we have beaten are bad teams

We were never in the O$U game as they weren't really trying until the 4th quarter

Allar won't do anything for us and we will continue to always lose to Mich and O$U into eternity

We are doomed to never ever have a prayer of winning a national championship ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever evercevercever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever again!

The beat goes on with your hideous schtick.

They certainly played well today. Better than most games this season. It was the most fire and intensity I’ve seen from them in a long time.

However, the fact remains they were blown out by the only 2 good teams on the schedule.

These are the teams they’ve played this year-

Purdue 6-4
Ohio- 7-3
Auburn- 3-6
Central Michigan- 4-6
Northwestern- 1-9
Michigan- 10-0
Minnesota- 7-3
Ohio State- 10-0
Indiana- 3-7
Maryland- 6-4

Rutgers- 4-6
Michigan State- 5-5

If you want to be excited about beating “two 7-3 teams and two 6-4 teams” that’s fine- but you’re literally bragging about wins over Purdue, Minnesota, Maryland, and Ohio.
you can only play who's on the schedule

There aren't that many teams that are 4-2 or better against 6 teams with 6-4 or better records. There are just a handful that have played 2 undefeated teams.
And those two undefeated teams may very well both make the playoffs even with one of them Losing in final game… Georgia , Ohio State , Michigan and TCU..that’s your playoffs..

Semis - Georgia vs Michigan and TCU vs Ohio State… Georgia vs Ohio State final…Georgia wins their 2nd in a row..

Reactions: NedFromYork
PSU is a young team.
PSU is one of the best 10 teams in the country.
We are well situated for next few years.
Those are the best summary statements. What was generally forecasted as an 8-4 team has been elevated by the play of freshmen and apparently a well coached offensive line. This group is going to be something special in a year or so.

Last edited:
And those two undefeated teams may very well both make the playoffs even with one of them Losing in final game… Georgia , Ohio State , Michigan and TCU..that’s your playoffs..

Semis - Georgia vs Michigan and TCU vs Ohio State… Georgia vs Ohio State final…Georgia wins their 2nd in a row..

The scUM v duhO$U loser is not going in front of a 1-loss Tenn or 1-loss USC if they win out.

OSU & UM are two of the best teams in the country this year so there's no shame in losing to them. The problem is that it happens year after year.

All of the above 2 loss teams are currently ranked higher than PSU. Only LSU and Alabama have played a schedule with a collective record slightly better than PSU. Utah and Ole Miss played teams with a collective record slightly worse than PSU.

I like it but it’s a little misleading. PSU has PLAYED teams that are 57-42…. But they’ve beaten teams that are 37-42 and no one that was or is ranked.

I’m a huge fan of this team but of the teams you listed, Penn State is the only one that hasn’t beaten a ranked team.

Reactions: bdgan
This team has always had the individual talent to be a 10+ win team. —This team reminds me of the 2016 team, and many of the Paterno led teams that started out sputtering and pedestrian, but mostly solid….. then they seemed to start to really gel about mid season or so , then start a steady and steep upward trajectory. —This is the most comfortable I have seen this defense play all year. The D has been mostly good, but now they’re smooth, explosive and seem to be playing without having to think. The young athletes on this team are starting to assimilate into the offense and defense much more smoothly, and it shows. —The future is bright
PSU is a very good team but I'm tired of measuring our success aginst MD,RU or Indiana. If we lined up tomorrow aginst Michigan or OSU O-Line they would still gash us. They are bigger and stronger up front in every way and JF knows this. Lets hope we win out, nobody gets hurt and the staff hits the portal hard in the off season.

PSU is a young team.
I don't know about 10 best. What would the record be against the teams ranked in the top 10 now? I'm not seeing 8 wins.

PSU is a young team.
Define your expectations... PSU will occasionly beat Michigan but recruiting misses on the line will always separate us from OSU.

Reactions: john4psu
Apparently PSU fandom is attractive to masochists.....it hurts, it hurts did I tell you it hurts? But I keep doing it!
The season started with a column promising a loss at Purdue and claiming that 6-6 was likely.
Now with 9 or 10 wins looking likely and A NY6 bowl and top 10 finish still a real possibility our best couch coaches still bitch and moan.
9 more years. I'm packing for a great time at the Orange Bowl. I'll be looking in the crowd for all the crying elite fanboys who litter this site.

Keep in mind the 3 out of 5 starting offensive lineman are out.
Porter and Jacobsen are out.
Lee, who started the season as the starter, out.
You can't deny they are getting better, which you have to give credit where credit is due.

This is all true
If we win out I'm very content with this season especially with the way we've won most games (other than Purdue smh) and about the glimpses of the future we've seen
But everyone needs to stop pretending Purdue, Minnesota, Ohio and Maryland are "impressive wins'. We won't beat a ranked team this year.
Agreed. My only complaint is how far away we look from OSU and UM. Especially UM. Our defense got totally shredded by them. Now maybe UM is the best team in the country. That remains to be seen. A bowl win over any team with a pulse would be a huge step forward.

Reactions: manilion and psu00
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT