ADVERTISEMENT

How on earth is PSU (or Louisville for that matter) ranked behind Mizzu in CFP Rankings???

CJFisJoePaII

Sep 6, 2019
Mizzu lost to 3-loss LSU and UGa. Their best win is freaking 7-4 Tennessee! PSU has lost to undefeated #1 and #3 teams in the nation and their best win is against 9-2 Iowa.

There is zero justification for having Mizzou in front of Louisville or PSU in the CFP Rankings based on their own criteria. Ridiculous.

Mizzu lost to 3-loss LSU and UGa. Their best win is freaking 7-4 Tennessee! PSU has lost to undefeated #1 and #3 teams in the nation and their best win is against 9-2 Iowa.

There is zero justification for having Mizzou in front of Louisville or PSU in the CFP Rankings based on their own criteria. Ridiculous.

Many think we're overrated. Many think we're underrated. Would Iowa beat Tennessee?

Reactions: bdgan
What criteria do you refer to? It is different from week to week, and from team to team in the same week. The only constant is to be undefeated, SOS be damned.

Didn't you hear there in the Big Bad SEC. There is zero justification.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
What criteria do you refer to? It is different from week to week, and from team to team in the same week. The only constant is to be undefeated, SOS be damned.

Nope, CFP has criteria for how teams are to be compared. For instance, 2-loss Iowa is ranked higher than 4-loss Tennessee in the CFP's own ranking; therefore, PSU's best win is to be considered better than Mizzou's best win.... Ditto Mizzou's loss to 3-loss LSU - it is considered a worse loss than either of PSU's losses to undefeated top 3 ranked teams in the CFP's own rankings.

I'm sure that the rest of their schedule is the main reason for it. They've got the 2nd win over a ranked team which we don't have. And the fact that even at 9-2, people still don't have a lot of respect for Iowa being a good team (they're almost ranked up there by default due to their record).

I'm really hoping we both win this weekend and meet in a bowl game.

Last edited:
I'm sure that the rest of their schedule is the main reason for it. They've got the 2nd win over a ranked team which we don't have. And the fact that even at 9-2, people still don't have a lot of respect for Iowa being a good team (they're almost ranked up there by default due to their record).

I'm really hoping we both win this weekend and meet in a bowl game.

But lots of respect for a 4-loss Tennessee team [insert eyeroll] LMFAO...... or lots of respect for losing to a 3-loss LSU team.... [again, insert eyeroll].

• Haha
Reactions: Westcoast24
Many think we're overrated. Many think we're underrated. Would Iowa beat Tennessee?
In a bowl game? Wouldn't surprise me in the least and I would probably take them in the bowl PICK-EM contest my son and I do every year. See Iowa-Kentucky last year and Iowa's general good track record versus SEC in bowl games.

That 9-10-11-12-13 grouping is pretty much a toss-up. I would probably put PSU in front of Missouri, but can understand people thinking the opposite based on factors (eye test) they prefer.
In many seasons, these things sort themselves out. The only real prize is a place in the top four and PSU is out of contention.

In a bowl game? Wouldn't surprise me in the least and I would probably take them in the bowl PICK-EM contest my son and I do every year. See Iowa-Kentucky last year and Iowa's general good track record versus SEC in bowl games.
Bowl games aren't relevant because guys will opt out and due to the time to prepare...
If they were playing this week at a neutral site who do you think would be favored to win?

Reactions: therod

Louisville lost to the hapless pitters. They should not be ranked in the top 50.

Reactions: joeaubie21
Our bowl record against the SEC has been pretty pathetic the last 10 years. If they are so overrated, what does that say about PSU?
Yep, because Mizzu is just killing it! They do take a few years off, in between those liberty and armed force bowls they lose.

Reactions: dswartz
Probably. Heupal's offense is dog this year. Seen a weird stat from them: 0-300 yard games this season. After having 37 last year I think. Joe Milton I guess.
Fair enough. I don't really have confidence in Iowa beating anyone. I feel like they could lose to literally anyone. I think Tennessee would be favored though.

Fair enough. I don't really have confidence in Iowa beating anyone. I feel like they could lose to literally anyone. I think Tennessee would be favored though.

Iowa is that weird bird that could lose to every team they play because the offense is literally a JV squad, but because they play great defense and have a great punter, they can also be in the game vs anybody.

Nebraska is the favorite this week. They are on their 5th consecutive under 30 bet. That speaks volumes.

Reactions: LandoComando
Iowa is an underdog today against Nebraska. 5-6 Nebraska. It's not just the committee that doesn't value some of our wins. It's basically everyone.

The CFP has O$U and Michigan ranked in the top 3 and our losses are to them. There is no logical reason to have any 2-loss team ahead of Penn State unless the CFP has contempt for their own rankings. If PSU is behind anyone it only indicates that their motivation and criteria is based upon something other than their own rankings.

The CFP has O$U and Michigan ranked in the top 3 and our losses are to them. There is no logical reason to have any 2-loss team ahead of Penn State unless the CFP has contempt for their own rankings. If PSU is behind anyone it only indicates that their motivation and criteria is based upon something other than their own rankings.
You have to look at wins as well--that's a logical reason. The only quality win we have is Iowa who bettors don't think can beat Nebraska.

Penn State is about where they should be currently. Thinking we should be ahead of Ole Miss or Missouri is delusional.

Honestly, right now Arizona is better than us with 3 losses--unlike us, they've improved while we haven't

You have to look at wins as well--that's a logical reason. The only quality win we have is Iowa who bettors don't think can beat Nebraska.

Well, I guess the "bettors" and others are not so smart after all.

Have you watched them play or are just a stats guy?

Well, I guess the "bettors" and others are not so smart after all.
Iowa won by 3 against a 5-7 Nebraska team. They were right for believing it was a toss up. Iowa could literally lose to anyone other than Rutgers

Iowa won by 3 against a 5-7 Nebraska team. They were right for believing it was a toss up. Iowa could literally lose to anyone other than Rutgers
Nebraska was a 5-6 team until the final whistle of today's loss to Iowa, who won. Gotta look at the wins, no? Also a very competitive game, right. And your interests are in competition, right?

Nebraska was playing at home for a "meaningless" bowl game. I guess they just didn't give a crap.

Nebraska was a 5-6 team until the final whistle of today's loss to Iowa, who won. Gotta look at the wins, no? Also a very competitive game, right. And your interests are in competition, right?

Nebraska was playing at home for a "meaningless" bowl game. I guess they just didn't give a crap.
Yet, despite not having anything to play for the only lost by 3
And, you look beyond records. It's why Iowa with 2 losses is ranked so low.

And, you look beyond records. It's why Iowa with 2 losses is ranked so low.

You mean the "eye test", a subjective parameter, is important?

There are currently 3-3 loss teams ahead of them, which could well change this weekend. Iowa could very well get a win against any of them. They should have a very interesting and competitive bowl game which will have some meaning to how their year was.

I will agree that their wins are ugly, but they are wins for the record book, nevertheless.

BTW: are the other PSU sports you fervently follow competitive against their respective opponents. Also, do you realize that wrestling has competitive aspects at both the individual and team level?

Penn State is about where they should be currently. Thinking we should be ahead of Ole Miss or Missouri is delusional.

Honestly, right now Arizona is better than us with 3 losses--unlike us, they've improved while we haven't
Penn State would be at least 7 points favorite over Arizona on a neutral field.

You mean the "eye test", a subjective parameter, is important?

There are currently 3-3 loss teams ahead of them, which could well change this weekend. Iowa could very well get a win against any of them. They should have a very interesting and competitive bowl game which will have some meaning to how their year was.

I will agree that their wins are ugly, but they are wins for the record book, nevertheless.

BTW: are the other PSU sports you fervently follow competitive against their respective opponents. Also, do you realize that wrestling has competitive aspects at both the individual and team level?
Not eye test...resume. it's not just the ugly wins but the lack of quality wins due to the Big Ten West being MAC quality.

Wrestling isn't competitive. 5 teams have dominant the sport throughout history winning all but 7-10 titles. How many has Penn State won since 2011? It's not competitive..

Hockey, basketball, football and WVB are all highly competitive

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT