ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa suspension names released

Tom seemed deflated. After this particular off season …. Who wouldn’t be. It will be interesting to see what fire he brings this season. He’s looking a good bit like a guy on the back side of a great career. J. Rob comes to mind.
I mean, he's currently thinking "my whole season rides on a family of degenerate sociopaths who my corrupt slumlord benefactor insists upon". It would be hard not to be deflated.

Nelson Brands did just post a pic with the caption "Cheezin cause it is the first day of practice"

I would say it is safe to assume at this point that none of the suspensions will hold.
LOL I doubt he ever worked out as hard as his dad and uncle did!

Tom seemed deflated. After this particular off season …. Who wouldn’t be. It will be interesting to see what fire he brings this season. He’s looking a good bit like a guy on the back side of a great career. J. Rob comes to mind.

My take was different maybe you are right. He seemed “mad” to me. For sure seemed disinterested in being there but I think that’s true of many of the top tier coaches in sports.

I don’t think he will be any less enthusiastic or fireless than we have seen in the past.

Reactions: baccafarmer
GIA is an insane asylum.

First the NCAA is going to review the gambling punishments that were handed out and will have a determination by the 3rd or 4th week of October. Naturally group think on GIA interprets that to mean that all of Iowa’s punishments will be completely removed and they start pencilling in their entire lineup. Then the NCAA announces that the review decision will be delayed until November 8th, now they’re pissed that they’ll only be impacted for the first match. Now the rumor is that all punishments will be upheld and reality is starting to set in that they’re back where they originally started.

They should create a Housewives show featuring the GIA brain trusts, would be can’t miss entertainment.

GIA is an insane asylum.

First the NCAA is going to review the gambling punishments that were handed out and will have a determination by the 3rd or 4th week of October. Naturally group think on GIA interprets that to mean that all of Iowa’s punishments will be completely removed and they start pencilling in their entire lineup. Then the NCAA announces that the review decision will be delayed until November 8th, now they’re pissed that they’ll only be impacted for the first match. Now the rumor is that all punishments will be upheld and reality is starting to set in that they’re back where they originally started.

They should create a Housewives show featuring the GIA brain trusts, would be can’t miss entertainment.
In related news, the guy that kept Iowas greatest wrestler from becoming its first 4 time champion lost to a H.S. junior this weekend.

Brands' & Cass' NCAA careers are still cooked, it seems.

"Effective immediately, reinstatement guidelines for student-athletes who wager on teams at their school — excluding their own team — will start at requiring one season of ineligibility and a loss of one year of eligibility."

The Iowa seniors are getting an early start to their freestyle careers.

shame-jerry-seinfeld.gif

Sucks for Cass and Assad - seem like good kids. Don’t care about Brands - dimwitted meathead like his father
Cass would have to be a blast to have a beer with. Seriously hope that if MFT finds a way to the mat that we see him at 285. Would pay $$ to see him against a healthy Hendrickson. No need to waste Keuter, and AJ will be out of 3rd chances by next year anyway.

Well this makes the Surriano summer from hell look like a walk in the park. GIA faithful will have to wear neck braces after the back and forth swings in this drama since May of not since the instant Spencer got pinned.

Better them than us, but you have to feel for them.

Very poorly handled by the NCAA IMO. Make a decision and move on. This whole soap opera smells of spineless beurocrats and of course the paralysis that ensues once lawyers get involved.

Reactions: hlstone
Well this makes the Surriano summer from hell look like a walk in the park. GIA faithful will have to wear neck braces after the back and forth swings in this drama since May of not since the instant Spencer got pinned.

Better them than us, but you have to feel for them.

Very poorly handled by the NCAA IMO. Make a decision and move on. This whole soap opera smells of spineless beurocrats and of course the paralysis that ensues once lawyers get involved.
Don’t blame the NCAA here - the state of Iowa threw this in their lap

It was a brutal roller coaster for them, mainly because there were points things looked good:

They landed Franek/Caliendo but they were finalists for and didn't land Shane Griffith, Bernie Truax, Aaron Nagao
They lose Cody Chittum and he explicitly states it's because of the Ferraris
Gable outside basically teases he plans to go to Iowa but then changes his mind about wrestling at all ... but then he changes his mind again but decides to return to Minnesota instead

But perhaps the worst is the NCAA hinted they were willing to basically let everyone who didn't bet on their own team wrestle this year. That was what originally the plan sounded like. They subsequently pushed their decision back and decided to still make betting on your own school a 1 year punishment (previously permanent) Thus for Nelson, Cassioppi, Abe, they're done this year anyways, with Nelson only being able to possibly return on a medical redshirt.

It was a brutal roller coaster for them, mainly because there were points things looked good:

They landed Franek/Caliendo but they were finalists for and didn't land Shane Griffith, Bernie Truax, Aaron Nagao
Gable outside basically teases he plans to go to Iowa but then changes his mind about wrestling at all ... but then he changes his mind again but decides to return to Minnesota instead

But perhaps the worst is the NCAA hinted they were willing to basically let everyone who didn't bet on their own team wrestle this year. That was what originally the plan sounded like. They subsequently pushed their decision back and decided to still make betting on your own school a 1 year punishment (previously permanent) Thus for Nelson, Cassioppi, Abe, they're done this year anyways, with Nelson only being able to possibly return on a medical redshir

"But perhaps the worst is the NCAA hinted..." The worst? This was my favorite part! It was made even better by making them wait months to get an answer!

But perhaps the worst is the NCAA hinted they were willing to basically let everyone who didn't bet on their own team wrestle this year. That was what originally the plan sounded like. They subsequently pushed their decision back and decided to still make betting on your own school a 1 year punishment (previously permanent) Thus for Nelson, Cassioppi, Abe, they're done this year anyways, with Nelson only being able to possibly return on a medical redshirt.
I saw that Assad might be able to get a medical redshirt as well, but who knows with the NCAA

I may have missed something, but I keep seeing about Brands being potentially eligible for a medical redshirt. When was he injured? The year before last maybe?

"Effective immediately, reinstatement guidelines for student-athletes who wager on teams at their school — excluding their own team — will start at requiring one season of ineligibility and a loss of one year of eligibility."

The Iowa seniors are getting an early start to their freestyle careers.
Or what passes for freestyle careers at HWC. 😂

Things are tough when you're hoping Assad and Brands can find a way to come back for another year.
I know. When I read all this "Nelson can apply for a Medical," and then hear the same about Assad, I'm like - who thinks those guys are going to be contenders as 7/8 year guys?

Are those guys just worried about hanging onto a podium spot? Because it sure looks like they don't know what a championship team is going to have to look like moving forward.

I do not think Assad can get a medical year as it was during the free year. He wrestled at the Big10's in 2020 when NCAA's were cancelled, then missed 2021 and wrestled at NCAA's in 2022 and 2023. That is basically the same case Josh Humphreys tried to make and the NCAA denied it. He is done.

I do not think Assad can get a medical year as it was during the free year. He wrestled at the Big10's in 2020 when NCAA's were cancelled, then missed 2021 and wrestled at NCAA's in 2022 and 2023. That is basically the same case Josh Humphreys tried to make and the NCAA denied it. He is done.
Oh yeah if Humphreys can't get it then Abe 100% can't. Humphreys was in school for 5 years, was hurt in 2021 (the COVID year) and outright lost his 2020 NCAA. He never even redshirted. If he has no case, Abe 100% does not.

Reactions: Ski
I think this was the correct call. You cannot be allowed to bet on your own school. There is too much insider knowledge available in training rooms, medical, study halls, training tables, athletic dorms etc. Allowing it could cause lines to swing and open doors for fixing.

I know. When I read all this "Nelson can apply for a Medical," and then hear the same about Assad, I'm like - who thinks those guys are going to be contenders as 7/8 year guys?
Agreed. IMO I have two observations:
1). The team will probably be better off with young fresh talent at their respective weights.
2). From memory, I haven't been impressed with any 7th year guy. That is a long time, and I think the mental edge needed is very difficult to manage during a little too late swan song. Consistently, most 7th year guys regress.

I could be wrong but I don't believe you can get that year back.
Bingo. The article explicitly said "loss of one year of eligibility." Brands and Assad are done. "Medical redshirt" is Iowa fans gasping for air.

Besides, if you could medical shirt your way out of it, everyone caught gambling would suddenly develop mono in 2020.

Reactions: Psalm 1 guy and Ski
Bingo. The article explicitly said "loss of one year of eligibility." Brands and Assad are done. "Medical redshirt" is Iowa fans gasping for air.

Besides, if you could medical shirt your way out of it, everyone caught gambling would suddenly develop mono in 2020.
Not totally true, Nelson's 2022 season qualifies for a medical redshirt to a T. You can't ask for 2021 back since it was free as is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT