ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa suspension names released

In all reality, as we would love to grow this sport, this doesn't help. Do I feel bad for the wrestlers? Hell no. Brands own son, what a dumbass idiot. The NCAA's will be a joke of a tournament come 2024. This is not good for wrestling.

In all reality, as we would love to grow this sport, this doesn't help. Do I feel bad for the wrestlers? Hell no. Brands own son, what a dumbass idiot. The NCAA's will be a joke of a tournament come 2024. This is not good for wrestling.

It was going to be a blowout anyway. Iowa finishing 10th instead of 3rd isn't going to hurt wrestling.

Ok pouting whiner who coaches ? A failed self help visionary ? A man who gives 17 minute interviews when 3 minutes would really do? A guy whose main purpose in life is to make bathrobes look more cringy? The car salesman you you feel bad about not buying from but don’t buy from anyway ? A man whose face always tells you he knows he’s beat ? I could continue but it’s time to let my dog out ( who has already earned her black shirt)

Kickball order. I feel like each team has a solid 4 top AAs and 2-3 upside guys (Howard, Barr, Facundo, Messenbrick, Davis).

Aaron
125 Robbie Howard
133 Aaron Nagao
141 David Evans
149 SVN
157 Terrell Barraclaugh
165 Alex Facundo
174 Josh Barr
184 Brooks
197 Lucas Cochran
285 Greg K.

Carter
125 Gary Steen
133 Braeden Davis
141 Beau Bartlett
149 Conor Pierce
157 Levi Haines
165 Mason Messenbrick
174 Carter
184 Donovan Ball
197 Bernie Truax
275 Austin Hoopes
Kasak for Pierce? Also, isn't Ball gone? I know he has eligibility, but I thought he was honored with the seniors last year and is done with college?

so your saying iowa has a chance??LOL

Reactions: diggerpup
Six in one hand, half dozen in the other.
20230905-095634.jpg

Wonder if Nelson used his mother as the proxy account? Terry had to have gone ape shit on him when he found out. Nelson was smart in growing to be 50 lbs heavier than his dad
If he used his mother as a proxy, he'd probably be criminally charged like Paniro.

Just imagine for a second the Brands' household from when those twins were say 3 years old until their parents said thank god when they finally went off to college.

He was charged with identity theft, a Class D felony.
Edit: looks like the identity theft charge was added after the initial round of charges. The other guy charged with identity theft is a 25 year old who was playing in the NFL. Doesn't seem to be related to being underage.

Edit: looks like the identity theft charge was added after the initial round of charges. The other guy charged with identity theft is a 25 year old who was playing in the NFL. Doesn't seem to be related to being underage.
Did Paniro truly steal his mother's identity? That's just silly. This is the prosecutor squeezing him: if you didn't steal it, then we charge your mom with facilitating underage gambling. But if you cooperate ...

Reactions: Sullivan
Any chance the NCAA will look back through the years pull points from wrestlers that should not have been eligible? Any of the big point scorers from 2021 would make things interesting.

Any chance the NCAA will look back through the years pull points from wrestlers that should not have been eligible? Any of the big point scorers from 2021 would make things interesting.
For this? No, I would be floored if they went to that extreme. If they have evidence of actual match fixing based on the gambling or something like that, then possibly, but there's no evidence that I've seen of anything that serious going on.

Be careful what you wish for with this. The reason it's coming down on the Hawks is only because the State of Iowa decided to give a crap about it. I'm sure it has been going on everywhere (or at least was before this all went down).

For this? No, I would be floored if they went to that extreme. If they have evidence of actual match fixing based on the gambling or something like that, then possibly, but there's no evidence that I've seen of anything that serious going on.

Be careful what you wish for with this. The reason it's coming down on the Hawks is only because the State of Iowa decided to give a crap about it. I'm sure it has been going on everywhere (or at least was before this all went down).
The only reason the NCAA is investigating this is because a separate entity ran an investigation. Part of the reason athletes gamble anyways even though they know they shouldn't is there really is no way to get caught. If they investigated back years, they would need to go to the beginning of time basically.

Reactions: caliPSUfan

I was thinking that the data is most likely already in the hands of the ncaa. I'm not sure how long the state of Iowa has allowed sports gambling but the investigators probably pulled all the data that was available. If so, the ncaa would already have the data in hand so it would be a small task to analyze the data.

Reactions: hlstone
I wouldn’t think NCAA cares about going back to past championships and taking anything away. The only ones who are wanting this scenario to happen are those hoping to take that title away and move PSU up. Iowa won that title on the mat so be it.

I doubt it gets to that point, but Iowa won by 15.5 points, and Cass scored 16.5 points.

Personally, I hope this doesn't go that deep. The Hawks earned it on the Mat in 2021.
Very good point. But you're right; don't want to open that can of worms.

Did Paniro truly steal his mother's identity? That's just silly. This is the prosecutor squeezing him: if you didn't steal it, then we charge your mom with facilitating underage gambling. But if you cooperate ...
my daughter knows Paniro mom says she is a little shady!

Clear as mud. What's a first offense, one bet or first time getting caught? Well maybe the Iowa dual will become slightly more interesting.

Well the timing certainly seems to imply the new guidelines will affect the kids caught up in this particular scandal.

Hawkeyes, welcome to some serious inbound transfer drama. I think all of the transfers might be affected. May the best man win.

One also wonders what promises may have been made around the 9.9. I know when 3 more people than expected sit at the dinner table, all sharing one pizza, there will either be fisticuffs, or thin slices, or both.

First offense means first time caught, or a single bet? Because I thought there were multiple bets placed by at least some of the wrestlers.

Reactions: Sullivan
So you have to get caught betting 3 times for any kind of a loss of eligibility? Sounds like the new world of 'nobody having to be responsible' We live in.
I agree and really sucks for the football players and teams. It feels like some basketball plays also bet and the NCAA does not want to lose any money by having some stars sit out. The NCAA cares about their money more than the athletes.

While this does seem to make everything even more convoluted, in general, it's much better for our sport for Iowa to have the suspended guys back and to have a strong team. WE revel in PSU's dominance, but the sport is more interesting if Iowa can at least compete.
No doubt a stronger Iowa team is better for the sport. After the worst 6 months I can remember for any team, Iowa may be in the midst of the best single month possible. I guess any reduction in suspensions will be known within the next 2 weeks or so.

BTW, AJs trial was moved, to tomorrow I believe. The October good news for that program may still yet give more. Granted I believe if AJ is added to the mix, a future scandal of some type is almost assured.

Reactions: Ja1339
Does this mean I get another season of riveting Nelson Brands matches?

If so, count me as thrilled!!!!
I think Brands is going to get the squeeze in the end. If everyone is reinstated:

149 Voinovich
157 Franek
165 Kennedy
174 Caliendo
184 Assad
197 Franklin (or AJ if they look the other way on sexual assault, too)
HWT Cass

Siebrecht and Brands are the odd men out. Siebrecht can come back for a year next year. Brands is probably just done with college (he was there for 6 years anyway...), and there was some speculation about whether or not he'd even come back for a 7th year before any of this was known.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT