ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa medical forfeits

Eierman liked a few tweets on Twitter it seems that basically implies he tore his ACL against Red. Definitely bold to put that out there before NCAAs but I imagine he's very frustrated right now.
Can't be true. He was just ducking. So it's been posted and tweeted.

I hope they were ducking instead of being injured, but injured is my guess.

Here’s the thing, these guys are FFTING because they want to be healthy for the dance. Now come Detroit and these same guys will be wrestling till their limbs fall off.

Ohh speaking of… did anyone else see TWilson land on his head then weirdly fall down afterward (reminded me of the Blades girl but not near as severe) Anyway, I cant believe they didnt do protocol on him, he had to have been concussed.
yes, saw it live. He was in a front headlock (giving it) and went off the mat and then stumbled and fell. Thought he had a concussion... he took a breather and they let him finish and he did finish strong... strange and scary

No one is griping about Kemerer’s MFF, the guy has had an injury he’s battled through all year. It’s the other guys who might be a little dinged that are the issue. Granted, we don’t know their medical status, but the Brands brothers have established themselves as the most egregious offenders of this stuff. Willie is definitely over the top sometimes, but he’s not on the wrong side on this one, IMHO.
Ayala, Eierman and Cass are not benefiting from MFF today. Even if Eierman had beat Lee earlier this year and MFF today Lee would be seeded higher. They will be seeded like the 8th 2nd and 2nd place B1G placements which they earned by winning previous matches.

Last edited:
Reactions: evashevsky58
You and I will disagree on whether Willie is wrong. There is always a strong possibility Willie knows more on the subject than the rest of us do. However, like I said in a different post. 2 guys wear a constant shoulder support binder, one wears a knee brace and looked like it was bother him on Saturday and Cassioppi had a leg wrapped that hasn't been previously wrapped.

It is rather silly to think these were not legitimate moves to keep kids healthy.

It's silly not to be skeptical about motivations. People occasionally cheat and occasionally game the system. That's just life.

It's silly not to be skeptical about motivations. People occasionally cheat and occasionally game the system. That's just life.

As far as silly goes, unless someone can explain or at least reasonably hypothesize the benefits gained by whom then silly is to assume to know something about one's health without having a clue. In today's life, clueless spoken thought is quite common and still minimally silly.

Reactions: moug
As far as silly goes, unless someone can explain or at least reasonably hypothesize the benefits gained by whom then silly is to assume to know something about one's health without having a clue. In today's life, clueless spoken thought is quite common and still minimally silly.

I'm not sure what that you are trying to convey here because of the deficient grammar and passive aggression, but in my line of work, skepticism isn't a nicety, it's a professional requirement. Of course I didn't say anything about health, I questioned motivations. Perhaps reading comprehension isn't "your thing", nonetheless, that's a straw man argument.

I don't take anything at face value. If you want to, I have a nice bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

Reactions: SUPERTODD
Maybe you “forfeit” the MFF points you receive if you have a match after it and don’t wrestle in it. That seems like a good rule to me.
What do you mean by wrestle the next match? Step on the mat for 1 second?

Reactions: mcpat
I don't have a problem with Iowa kids MFFing those matches. I have no idea how their health is. I do know 2 wear shoulder braces after missing time this year and another wears a knee brace and seemed to be having issues with it on Saturday.

Iowa going soft? Today's MFFs do not show softness. Iowa not sending a healthy Stoll out against Snyder when the dual was within 5 points is when Iowa began the transition to pussy, and the sheer fear of wrestling PSU in State College is the manifestation of Iowa turning Charmin soft.
This has been happening forever.

I still remember Dan Gable not sending anyone out against Kerry McCoy at a (maybe the very first) BJC dual.

Reactions: dsites52
I'm not sure what that you are trying to convey here because of the deficient grammar and passive aggression, but in my line of work, skepticism isn't a nicety, it's a professional requirement. Of course I didn't say anything about health, I questioned motivations. Perhaps reading comprehension isn't "your thing", nonetheless, that's a straw man argument.

I don't take anything at face value. If you want to, I have a nice bridge in Brooklyn for sale.
Let me bring it down a notch or two for you.
1. If you think Iowa MFF for reasons of manipulation, what were the benefits gained and who gained from the manipulation?
2. Since you are carrying on that the MFF were not legitimate then yes you are stating they weren't for health reasons. Just because you do not understand what you are doing or saying does not mean you did not convey that message.
3. I believe clueless statements are something you are probably comfortable with.
4. Study strawman argument. Try to use it properly the next time.
5. Straightforward enough for you?

Reactions: Fatmarc and MVPFAN

I still remember Dan Gable not sending anyone out against Kerry McCoy at a (maybe the very first) BJC dual.
1. Jim Zelesky did that. Gable was home in Iowa recovering from IIRC hip surgery.
2. Not sending your outgunned HWT out to wrestle somebody like McCoy is not a Big10 MFF. PSU has elected to not send wrestlers out for duals also.

Reactions: Fatmarc
Neither fans nor wrestlers win when MFFs are a necessity or otherwise occur. The possibility of MFFs after qualifying for NCAAs could lead to fewer wrestling fans putting the B1G Wrestling Championship on there "bucket list," as I believe Shane suggested is a "must have" on it.

In light of last year's declaration "excuses are for wussies" and how this year turned out for him, I think it's quite reasonable for Iowa coaches, wrestlers, and medical staff to proceed with somewhat less bravado. I hope all qualified wrestlers are maximally healthy for NCAAs.

Let me bring it down a notch or two for you.
1. If you think Iowa MFF for reasons of manipulation, what were the benefits gained and who gained from the manipulation?
2. Since you are carrying on that the MFF were not legitimate then yes you are stating they weren't for health reasons. Just because you do not understand what you are doing or saying does not mean you did not convey that message.
3. I believe clueless statements are something you are probably comfortable with.
4. Study strawman argument. Try to use it properly the next time.
5. Straightforward enough for you?
ITS A BRANDS THING!!LOL

Reactions: nitlion6
We're any of their wrestlers really injured during the tournament or was it just to save them from a loss that might hurt their confidence/seeding heading into nationals? Seems like bad sportsmanship. But also interesting because they normally focus on winning the Big Tens it seems.
Total supposition on your part. I take them at their word.

Reactions: Fatmarc
and to add to this, spencer outscored schroder 21-1 AFTER tearing his acl in that match
Comparing anyone to Spencer is wrong. It's like Adrian Peterson gaining 2000 yards coming off an ACL tear the previous December. If someone else can't do it, it's irrelevant because those guys are nearly superhuman and the exception, not the rule.

I don’t think I have quite as much of a problem with MFF as others, but I also understand other’s anger / upsetness about it. When everyone views the real prize as the other tourney happening in 2 weeks, and the conference tournament as just something you have to go through to qualify for it, you’re always going to have them or something else equivalent.
I agree with you 100%. So long as the focus of the season is on one weekend in March, I have no issue with any coach making this call to bring his best line up to the big dance. Yeah, it's not good for the fans, and after all the "anyone, anytime, anywhere" tough guy talk- it's biting Tom in the ass a bit this morning. I certainly don't want to be the guy who decides who is hurt, and who isn't. Tom is looking out for his guys- I can't fault him for that, even if as I fan I would like to have seen some of those matches.

With the senior + crowd this year, I think we saw a lot of wrestlers on pitch counts, I think we are reminded that wrestling, D1 wrestling especially is hard on the body. I believe we'll see less of this next season...

Finally, I thought Gable and JB on the mic for the Kerk/Parris match were fantastic. I'd love to see more of that content...

Last edited:
Put him at 6. Like Nolf got. Seems fair.
Kemerer isn't going to get a seed bump by MFF to 6th.
He will be seeded behind Starocci, Messa, Labriola, Lewis, Hidley, the NC kid and possibly the OSU kid. That gives him Carter in the QF, not much of a reward.

I actually took ski's post to mean if they are entering injured and might MFF then change their seeding. Which is why response was "how do you do that"?

What do you mean by wrestle the next match? Step on the mat for 1 second?
If you mff out all team points from that wrestler before injury should be taken end of story that way it's fair all the way around. Why should someone pin their way or win their way to second and medical forfeit yet keep the team points penalize the team and coaches and let the wrestler keep the spot to get in nationals

• Haha
Reactions: OldestandGreatest
I’m reminded of a number of high school dual meets I wrestled in high school decades ago where we forfeited HWT or more when way ahead. And it happens a ton more than that at team states in PA. Once clinched… here comes the FFTs.

It was awful to forfeit HWT, a big portion of the crowd was there to see Steveson. My nephew started wrestling this season and my brother-in-law took him tonight, both are new to the sport and this is what their first memory will be.
Cass hurt his knee against Hilger. Steveson's go to move against Cass is the single. While I understand the fan's desire to see Steveson go, at no point is that a smart move to put your athlete at risk to end his season.

Cass hurt his knee against Hilger. Steveson's go to move against Cass is the single. While I understand the fan's desire to see Steveson go, at no point is that a smart move to put your athlete at risk to end his season.
But Cass was ok to go against Kerk? If he's hurt, and he's qualified, stop wrestling (i.e. MFF to Kerk) and let the fans experience an actual bout at the finals. Instead no one got to see the best wrestler in the country put on a show. If Cass had gotten dinged against Kerk, that's obviously more acceptable. I don't know any specifics, but that's just how this all looks.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
But Cass was ok to go against Kerk? If he's hurt, and he's qualified, stop wrestling (i.e. MFF to Kerk) and let the fans experience an actual bout at the finals. Instead no one got to see the best wrestler in the country put on a show. If Cass had gotten dinged against Kerk, that's obviously more acceptable. I don't know any specifics, but that's just how this all looks.
There are plenty of examples where the injured joint stiffens up overnight or after a significant time in between.

There are plenty of examples where the injured joint stiffens up overnight or after a significant time in between.
In a parallel universe riveria and JE got together to see who would win a rock paper scissors on the semi MFF.

I'm hearing micic was there to monitor the results and kevin Jackson was the time keeper.

If you mff out all team points from that wrestler before injury should be taken end of story that way it's fair all the way around. Why should someone pin their way or win their way to second and medical forfeit yet keep the team points penalize the team and coaches and let the wrestler keep the spot to get in nationals
Then how do you handle injury defaults? If they change the rule on MFF’s coaches will just send their guy out for a few seconds and then have him request injury time and default. Are you going to put a certain amount of time they have to be on the mat for them to keep their points in this case?

In a parallel universe riveria and JE got together to see who would win a rock paper scissors on the semi MFF.

I'm hearing micic was there to monitor the results and kevin Jackson was the time keeper.
it might have been cool to watch them play rock paper scissors...
two out of three?

Then how do you handle injury defaults? If they change the rule on MFF’s coaches will just send their guy out for a few seconds and then have him request injury time and default. Are you going to put a certain amount of time they have to be on the mat for them to keep their points in this case?
At least that becomes a loss on their record.

That was actually Zalesky. Gable had hip surgery and wasn't even at that dual. It was in fact the first time PSU had a wrestling dual in the BJC.

We're any of their wrestlers really injured during the tournament or was it just to save them from a loss that might hurt their confidence/seeding heading into nationals? Seems like bad sportsmanship. But also interesting because they normally focus on winning the Big Tens it seems.
I don;t understand this thinking at all. It does NOT save them from a loss, it is a loss.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT