ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa medical forfeits

IANit

Dec 8, 2002
Iowa
We're any of their wrestlers really injured during the tournament or was it just to save them from a loss that might hurt their confidence/seeding heading into nationals? Seems like bad sportsmanship. But also interesting because they normally focus on winning the Big Tens it seems.

We're any of their wrestlers really injured during the tournament or was it just to save them from a loss that might hurt their confidence/seeding heading into nationals? Seems like bad sportsmanship. But also interesting because they normally focus on winning the Big Tens it seems.
It was awful to forfeit HWT, a big portion of the crowd was there to see Steveson. My nephew started wrestling this season and my brother-in-law took him tonight, both are new to the sport and this is what their first memory will be.

Reactions: Waynohio and Ski
I personally think these guys are hurting and this season just beat them down. If I’m the coach and feel they have a shot at Nationals, I’m sitting them too. I know it sucks for us fans but they pay a coach to bring hardware.
I see why a coach would do it, but there should be some neutral medical opinion required for a medical forfeit IMO.

Reactions: mcpat
Ayala, Kem and Eierman are most definitely battling injuries. I give them no crap for MFF.

As for Cass… I don’t know. But how do I call that out when I was fine with DH skipping his 9th place match? Is it only okay when you’re not wrestling for a higher place? That shouldn’t matter.

They're just really, really old and you can't go like you did when you were young when you get old. 😂

Ayala, Kem and Eierman are most definitely battling injuries. I give them no crap for MFF.

As for Cass… I don’t know. But how do I call that out when I was fine with DH skipping his 9th place match? Is it only okay when you’re not wrestling for a higher place? That shouldn’t matter.
Cass was injured in the quarters. He was not wrapped before, has a stoppage where his knee was hyperflexed (is that a thing?) Either way he definitely tweaked it and had it wrapped for the semis for Kerk. But yeah, he should definitely go out there at less than 100% against Gable. That seems smart. Oh well, carry on with the thread about Iowa's MFF if it makes ya happy.

Edit- last part not directed at you specifically mcpat.

We did it w/ Rasheed vs. Myles too. Won't change if they don't somehow change the rules--and if they do, there'll be new unintended consequences. Is what it is.

Reactions: Fatmarc
Cass was injured in the quarters. He was not wrapped before, has a stoppage where his knee was hyperflexed (is that a thing?) Either way he definitely tweaked it and had it wrapped for the semis for Kerk. But yeah, he should definitely go out there at less than 100% against Gable. That seems smart. Oh well, carry on with the thread about Iowa's MFF if it makes ya happy.

Then I’ll restate, nicely, that it appears most are defending Iowa here.

Look, I get it. You look at Iowa wrestlers and you realize that the Brands brothers are psychotics who really, really believe that which does not kill your wrestlers makes them better. By mid-Feb, they all looked like beaten up and injured-so it's possible that JE and AC had some injuries that might have gotten worse.

That said, I think this was "preemptive surrender". Gable owned Cass every time they were there and I think Nick is on a roll.

So is there really medical issues or have the Brands' added a new low to their classlessness?

There needs to be some sort of penalty for fleeing the mat before the first whistle.

They are due to come to Happy Valley next time right? Maybe you'll see an old guy with a bad attitude holding up a sign "Iowa Hawkeyes" with Hawkeyes crossed out and "Mffdivers" put in.

Iowa always provides contrast with the sportsmanship shown by Myles Amine in calling AB "one of the good ones" and Greg K making an effort to shake Parris' hand after their match.

I just realized I'm agreeing with Ryan about the Brands....

Teams / coaches will keep MFF'ing in conference tourneys until the NCAA committee takes a stand & begins to crater their seeds.

They also need to remove the cheap 2 bonus points out of the team scoring for MFF.

I didn't see Cass's match in the quarterfinals, but he obviously had a wrap on it in the semis. That didn't prevent him from flexing after beating Kerk, did it?

Also, Eierman got into the finals on a medical forfeit. If he wasn't able to go in the finals, then he shouldn't have been able to advance by medical forfeit in the semis.

How many matches have any of the wrestlers that forfeited in the semis or finals missed this year? For those who bring up Rasheed, he had missed a number of matches that season if I recall.

I personally think these guys are hurting and this season just beat them down. If I’m the coach and feel they have a shot at Nationals, I’m sitting them too. I know it sucks for us fans but they pay a coach to bring hardware.
The only hardware Brands is bringing this season is a screwdriver to tighten up Tommy’s loose screws.

I didn't see Cass's match in the quarterfinals, but he obviously had a wrap on it in the semis. That didn't prevent him from flexing after beating Kerk, did it?

Also, Eierman got into the finals on a medical forfeit. If he wasn't able to go in the finals, then he shouldn't have been able to advance by medical forfeit in the semis.

How many matches have any of the wrestlers that forfeited in the semis or finals missed this year? For those who bring up Rasheed, he had missed a number of matches that season if I recall.
Well he flexed with his arms, I believe those are healthy.

Ayala - shoulder (been braced up since return)
Eierman - definitely hurt his knee against Chad Red in the dual, was visibly angry about it yesterday.
Kemerer - shoulder (aggravated it yesterday)
Cassioppi - think he hurt his knee against Hillger (tbh makes Kerk's loss to him worse lol)

Reactions: moug
Teams / coaches will keep MFF'ing in conference tourneys until the NCAA committee takes a stand & begins to crater their seeds.

They also need to remove the cheap 2 bonus points out of the team scoring for MFF.
If they don't step on the mat then there should be no bonus points for MFF. That's just dumb luck. really. The points should only be awarded if the match actually started, there was an honest attempt by both wrestlers and one of the wrestlers was injured to the point they are unable to continue.

Reactions: diggerpup
Ayala - shoulder (been braced up since return)
Eierman - definitely hurt his knee against Chad Red in the dual, was visibly angry about it yesterday.
Kemerer - shoulder (aggravated it yesterday)
Cassioppi - think he hurt his knee against Hillger (tbh makes Kerk's loss to him worse lol)
If they had legit injuries to the point they were unable to compete at their best, no major problem with it given the caliber of opponents they were avoiding.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
If they don't step on the mat then there should be no bonus points for MFF. That's just dumb luck. really. The points should only be awarded if the match actually started, there was an honest attempt by both wrestlers and one of the wrestlers was injured to the point they are unable to continue.
I don’t know. If someone isnt wrestling Nick Lee, I want the bonus he could have earned.

The SeaBass MFF to Eierman is interesting. He accepted a MFF and then MFF’d without wrestling after it.

I don’t know. If someone isnt wrestling Nick Lee, I want the bonus he could have earned.

The SeaBass MFF to Eierman is interesting. He accepted a MFF and then MFF’d without wrestling after it.
Isn't a MFF the same points as a pin?

I did think the Eierman getting the MFF then MFFing was interesting, will venture a guess that was a first and will be an only lol.

There's a chance that Brands might have had intel (word gets around fast in wrestling) about Seabass not planning to wrestle after he qualifies. In the off chance that Seabass did come out, he probably thought the risk/reward was worth it to wrestle an equally hobbled Seabass.

Similarly, obviously there was a lot at stake against Kerk so Cass decided to give it a go. Then there was literally nothing to gain by trying to wrestle Gable when you're hurt.

It's risk management on their end bottom line.

MFF so be it....

But the 2pts is BS

The brands and their tough guy act just took a hit.....

TanTom will love to talk about it on the recruit trail

Thats because Seabass made it known that he was gonna FFT before Eireman did.

Had kinda the same thing happen with Nolf and Kem a few years ago but they musta had an agrreement that both of them wouldnt show up.

Had kinda the same thing happen with Nolf and Kem a few years ago but they musta had an agrreement that both of them wouldnt show up.
I don't think Brands and Cael coordinated anything lol. They just made the same decision for their 157 pounders and thus they shared the 6th place podium lol.

This would penalize the wrestler who takes the mat and is denied the opportunity to earn bonus. Could also be weaponized by unscrupulous opposing coaches to deny a wrestler points and affect team scoring.

Maybe you “forfeit” the MFF points you receive if you have a match after it and don’t wrestle in it. That seems like a good rule to me.

This would penalize the wrestler who takes the mat and is denied the opportunity to earn bonus. Could also be weaponized by unscrupulous opposing coaches to deny a wrestler points.
A better way of saying what I meant.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
MFFs have to be same scoring as a pin, dual or tourney. If you don't give the pin bonus for a MFF you'll see WAY more of them because it will often make strategic sense to a have guy who is outclassed to MFF instead of losing by major or worse.

I'm not a fan of what's going on either, but that is not the solution.

Edit - Whoops, replies are coming in fast and other folks have already made this point. Oh well, I'll leave my rambling and just say "ditto"

Reactions: Lb4097 and mcpat
Maybe you lose all the points that you have earned for the team in the tournament….. you have to finish the tournament in order to earn the team points.

cassioppi got hurt finishing a shot against hillger. hillger had an ankle and bent his knee the wrong direction. he cried out and was shaking it out the rest of the match. he had a full leg tape job against kerk the next round

Reactions: mcpat
I don't think Brands and Cael coordinated anything lol. They just made the same decision for their 157 pounders and thus they shared the 6th place podium lol.
Both guys “could” have wrestled,hell Nolf won on the same unfixed bum leg at Nationals.

Reactions: Nitfan
cassioppi got hurt finishing a shot against hillger. hillger had an ankle and bent his knee the wrong direction. he cried out and was shaking it out the rest of the match. he had a full leg tape job against kerk the next round
To be clear, I said that I didn’t know about Cass. I didn’t accuse. But now I do know. So thx.

I did think the Eierman getting the MFF then MFFing was interesting, will venture a guess that was a first and will be an only lol.

There's a chance that Brands might have had intel (word gets around fast in wrestling) about Seabass not planning to wrestle after he qualifies. In the off chance that Seabass did come out, he probably thought the risk/reward was worth it to wrestle an equally hobbled Seabass.

Similarly, obviously there was a lot at stake against Kerk so Cass decided to give it a go. Then there was literally nothing to gain by trying to wrestle Gable when you're hurt.

It's risk management on their end bottom line.
“Might have had intel”?
It was well documented even here on this forum,was it not?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT