ADVERTISEMENT

I'm thinking that the Big 10 may be interested in KU and WVU.

Most of this is just crazy talk. If the B10 can't get TX/OU forget about the B12 leftovers, and nobody is leaving the ACC right now. The only other jewel out there that's in play is USC. They might just consider it. It would take a good negotiator and might have to possibly package the deal with UCLA. Otherwise, the B10 should pass on everyone else.

Reactions: lionville
Most of this is just crazy talk. If the B10 can't get TX/OU forget about the B12 leftovers, and nobody is leaving the ACC right now. The only other jewel out there that's in play is USC. They might just consider it. It would take a good negotiator and might have to possibly package the deal with UCLA. Otherwise, the B10 should pass on everyone else.

I wouldn't be so sure of no ACC school leaving. If the UT/OU deal with the SEC goes through, they're about to witness the disintegration of the Big 12. You want your school to be part of something similar?

Reactions: bison13
This latest shuffle could turn out to be the Chernobyl of CFB.

This is what happens when you rely on newspapers as your sole source of info. Bill Powers and Gordo the Great developed a plan aimed at shedding Texas Tech. Would it have worked? Impossible to say, but Delany was too lazy and stupid to get his part right. The result was Nebraska, which was way down on the list of targets.
Nope. Delany was doing his due diligence and didn't want to get jobbed like what happened to Larry Scott. Unlike Delany, Scott told Tech "Come On Down"!!!!!!

Then, in the 11th hour, just as the papers were about to be signed to add Texas (and 5 other Big 12 schools) to the PAC, Texas pulled a fast one by telling Scott they wanted more favorable revenue sharing that would benefit Texas, and their own separate TV Network.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm sure Kevin Warren would have invited Texas Tech, and told Texas to go pound salt. :) :):)

Nope. Delany was doing his due diligence and didn't want to get jobbed like what happened to Larry Scott. Unlike Delany, Scott told Tech "Come On Down"!!!!!!

Then, in the 11th hour, just as the papers were about to be signed to add Texas (and 5 other Big 12 schools) to the PAC, Texas pulled a fast one by telling Scott they wanted more favorable revenue sharing that would benefit Texas, and their own separate TV Network.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm sure Kevin Warren would have invited Texas Tech, and told Texas to go pound salt. :) :):)
I get it. You prefer the way Delany sucks dick. He botched the process that brought in Nebraska pure and simple.

Delany made a lot of mistakes, but re: expansion I think he made the right choices 10 years ago.

Nebraska is a solid brand still even with the recent past and will always be a college sports market (as small as that state is population wise). It's always going to provide a big time college atmosphere.

Maryland and Rutgers got us two large East Coast universities located in recruit rich/alumni rich areas for the Big Ten and into the DC/NYC markets which have a lot of Big Ten alumni.

The Big Ten's future is the Mid-Atlantic. We just have to wait for 2031-2032 when it's easy to pay 3-4 years of ACC rights using the next TV deal.

Delany made a lot of mistakes, but re: expansion I think he made the right choices 10 years ago.

Nebraska is a solid brand still even with the recent past and will always be a college sports market (as small as that state is population wise). It's always going to provide a big time college atmosphere.

Maryland and Rutgers got us two large East Coast universities located in recruit rich/alumni rich areas for the Big Ten and into the DC/NYC markets which have a lot of Big Ten alumni.

The Big Ten's future is the Mid-Atlantic. We just have to wait for 2031-2032 when it's easy to pay 3-4 years of ACC rights using the next TV deal.

I agree with pretty much all you say with the exception of 2032/32. Not saying we won't make a play at that time, but I definetly think we make a play by 2025. The opportunity will be there.

The only problem is who we now have running the ship (Warren). Can't say I have any faith in this guy's competency whatsoever.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I get it. You prefer the way Delany sucks dick. He botched the process that brought in Nebraska pure and simple.

And put us at the top of the College Football World (financially). We are still ahead of the SEC in payout by roughly $40 million (overall).

Not to worry. Based on this new guy's most recent performance, that won't last long. He basically fast tracked the Texas/Oklahoma move to the SEC with his handling of the COVID situation.

I've decided any potential B1G expansion should include UNLV. Certainly not a historical power but..... Cheap flights to Vegas. Rapidly growing city. And imagine the NIL opportunities available for players. I'm surprised the PAC hasn't already snatched them up. 👍

Did they write legislation to that effect? If not, how many of those involved are still in office 17 years later?
Different players, but the same politics. The death of the Big East was about to consign VT to a 2nd or 3rd tier conference if the ACC didn't pan out. The members of VA legislature didn't pressure UVA to support VT's attempts at getting into the ACC because they themselves had any love for the school. They did it because many of their constituents did; it was good politics. Nothing that has happened since that time has changed the politics of taking care of both of the state's most visible collegiate athletics schools.

Reactions: Cpeplion
Different players, but the same politics. The death of the Big East was about to consign VT to a 2nd or 3rd tier conference if the ACC didn't pan out. The members of VA legislature didn't pressure UVA to support VT's attempts at getting into the ACC because they themselves had any love for the school. They did it because many of their constituents did; it was good politics. Nothing that has happened since that time has changed the politics of taking care of both of the state's most visible collegiate athletics schools.
Right. And none of this prevents UVA from moving on without VaTech.

Right. And none of this prevents UVA from moving on without VaTech.
True, but UVA isn't likely to leave the ACC unless the conference is on its last legs. Like the B10, the ACC has its own clique of schools that call the shots, and UVA is part of that. It was never hard to find UMD fans who thought the ACC was shafting them in favor of the Tobacco Road schools. You won't hear such talk from UVA. I don't doubt that there are some UVA fans and alumni that would like to see them in the B10, but we're also talking about a school where establishing a marching band was controversial, in part, because some alumni thought it would make them too much like a football school.

Last edited:
True, but UVA isn't likely to leave the ACC unless the conference is on its last legs. Like the B10, the ACC has its own clique of schools that call the shots, and UVA is part of that. It was never hard to find UMD fans who thought the ACC was shafting them in favor of the Tobacco Road schools. You won't hear such talk from UVA. I don't doubt that there are some UVA fans and alumni that would like to see them in the B10, but we're also talking about a school where establishing a marching band was controversial, in part, because some alumni thought it would make them too much like a football school.

"Last legs" might be too late. I imagine there are ACC presidents and ADs wondering what happens to their league if the SEC calls, say, Clemson and FSU. If they're not going to be proactive and explore options at leat they should listen if someone comes a-callin'.

Good chance the ACC is on officially “death watch” as of yesterday. Every school wants the money and will look to get the best deal regardless of the ACC GOR agreement. If the BIG or SEC come calling, they are going to bolt ASAP.

Good chance the ACC is on officially “death watch” as of yesterday. Every school wants the money and will look to get the best deal regardless of the ACC GOR agreement. If the BIG or SEC come calling, they are going to bolt ASAP.
I think you make a fair point. At the same time, I find the schools mentioned as candidates for the B10 pretty underwhelming. The conference already has a strong presence in Northern Virginia thanks to the large number of PA and midwest transplants, so UVA isn't that appealing. I don't see Kansas, WVU, or Iowa State adding anything, either. If the ACC schools are in play, UNC puts the conference in a new market and makes a splash. For the west, it may be wishful thinking, but if we're talking about the demise of the ACC, the Domers are suddenly running out of major conferences willing to let them in without football. They may see the writing on the wall.

Reactions: Art
Notre dame will of course mess this up for the big ten

They will certainly try to maintain their independence. But if the ACC looks like it's coming unglued, as OaktonDave suggests they may have no good options.

Yes on KU.

No on WVU. Terrible academics. Zero new TV markets. No on Iowa State. Decent academics but mediocre athletics and zero new TV markets. Iowa State only has had a pulse in football the last year or two or three.

I think KU might be team 15 for the Big Ten...and they just sit tight until the landscape shakes out further.

If the "Big 12 pie" is split into 10 pieces, UT probably gets 4 of those, OU gets 2...KU gets 1...and the rest get a half piece or less. So the Big Ten can add decent value with Kansas...but that's it.

Will you people please stop referring to academics when referring to whether a school would be a potential fit for the big ten. It just makes you look foolish. It’s about TV sets and money. Period.
Mostly, but I think there is more to being a good fit than how many TV sets a school can add.

Everyone knows this ends in 4 16 team mega conferences right? BIG, SEC and two others prolly PAC 12 and the leftovers of the ACC and BIG 12….it’s gonna be a massive realignment and I’m sure the powers that be already know what is going to happen. It’s all about $$$ no way the BIG let’s the SEC take ou/tx and then the BIG get two garbage schools the likes of Kansas…they need to go big and go east where most of the population is…Clemson and ND…would be just as huge as OU/TX.

Last night on ESPN, their college football writer speculated that the Big 10 now may want to poach some schools from the Big 12 considering that that conference is in the process of being disassembled. If so, KU and WVU would be logical for the purposes of the two divisions.
If sports were actually about adding quality teams to your league, absolutely, but unfortunately that's not how it works anymore.

Reactions: psu00
I just threw up in my mouth
Will you people please stop referring to academics when referring to whether a school would be a potential fit for the big ten. It just makes you look foolish. It’s about TV sets and money. Period.
If more and more people cut the cord, what happens then? Streaming services? I don’t know, just looking for opinions.

There’s a lot of wild speculation once these conference transfer rumors start. The problem with the Big Ten is their reaction is usually slow and uninspiring.

I agree about forgetting the big 12 leftovers. Now that Texas and Oklahoma are apparently ready to leave try to intercept them from the SEC. If that doesn’t work then go after Florida State, Notre Dame, and Miami. Forget about teams like Kansas, Mizzou, and Iowa State. Add quality programs or none.

I just don’t see USC leaving the PAC 12, much less both USC and UCLA. Plus the distance/ time zone issues would be a problem for their fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas1945
PSU needs to be proactive, if the SEC is truly targeting UM and OSU, the Big 10 is all but dead if they bolt. If I'm the ACC I'm trying to lure PSU, MD(Back), land WVU and UCF, possibly Cinci and find out if A&M is willing to leave after the back stabbing the SEC just gave them. Keep Clemson and FSU a long with ND in the fold and you have one nice ass conference.. That is a conference that could land one big ass tv deal as well..

PSU needs to be proactive, if the SEC is truly targeting UM and OSU, the Big 10 is all but dead if they bolt. If I'm the ACC I'm trying to lure PSU, MD(Back), land WVU and UCF, possibly Cinci and find out if A&M is willing to leave after the back stabbing the SEC just gave them. Keep Clemson and FSU a long with ND in the fold and you have one nice ass conference.. That is a conference that could land one big ass tv deal as well..
Where have you heard the SEC is targeting OSU and Michigan? Can’t see that happening at all. Neither are close to being southern in any way.

Where have you heard the SEC is targeting OSU and Michigan? Can’t see that happening at all. Neither are close to being southern in any way.
Multiple sites are reporting this as well as the SEC going after Clemson and Florida State.
The only person loving this idea is Barry up in Madison. He can finally, even in retirement, run the remains of the BIG anyway he chooses without any interference. The Badgers will go to the Rose Bowl every year despite their record, and he’ll probably be the Grand Marshall of the parade.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT