ADVERTISEMENT

I'm thinking that the Big 10 may be interested in KU and WVU.

bcspsu

Jun 2, 2001
Last night on ESPN, their college football writer speculated that the Big 10 now may want to poach some schools from the Big 12 considering that that conference is in the process of being disassembled. If so, KU and WVU would be logical for the purposes of the two divisions.

zero chance that happens. neither bring money to the table. Kansas has half a shot with basketball eyes and commitment to improve their football spending. WVU has no shot.

Reactions: TheGLOV and PSU2UNC
The BIG should just offer Texas and Oklahoma and see what happens. I remember there was talk that Texas was in conversation at some point a few years back? Or has that ship sailed?
They never were interested in the Big Ten; they were playing the Big Ten against everyone else to get their sweetheart LHN deal with ESPN.

Delany went hard for Texas/OU as well as A&M when they were available. Delany was showing financial projections to the schools that with Texas the financial numbers would be crazy, but Texas just wasn't interested in being a lone school or two (with OU) in a 16 team Big Ten.

I think Delany made the right move in looking East instead at the ACC and grabbing Maryland who was actually interested in coming here.

That also lays the future foundation for more additions East to buttress Penn State/Maryland/Rutgers on the East coast with schools like UVa/Va Tech/UNC/Ga Tech.

Reactions: NedFromYork
I think they go after iowa state and WVa. I doubt they go after either Kansas school. Both have active ncaa issues And bring little to the table.

Tcu and West Virginia? I’m gonna keep throwing tcu out there and say things like the dfw tv market but really I just want the possible chance to see penn state down here every once in a while.

WVU brings absolutely zero to the table. Why even bring them up? They’d need to be able to add $50+ million in annual revenue to be worth a darn. No way that’s happening anyway, but since the largest chunk of their market (Pittsburgh) overlaps with Penn State’s, there isn’t any possible way WVU makes financial sense.

I think they go after iowa state and WVa. I doubt they go after either Kansas school. Both have active ncaa issues And bring little to the table.
They don't add anything to the TV contract. Nobody's paying the Big Ten $50+ million a year for those schools.

Maybe schools in new markets like UVa/Va Tech/UNC/Clemson/FSU/etc., but not WVU/Iowa State.

Iowa State literally adds 0 new viewers to the Big Ten; Iowa is already covered.

WVU's main TV market is in Pennsylvania which is covered by Penn State.

They don't add anything to the TV contract. Nobody's paying the Big Ten $50+ million a year for those schools.

Maybe schools in new markets like UVa/Va Tech/UNC/Clemson/FSU/etc., but not WVU/Iowa State.

Iowa State literally adds 0 new viewers to the Big Ten; Iowa is already covered.

WVU's main TV market is in Pennsylvania which is covered by Penn State.

The problem with the UVa-VaDreck combo is what you pointed out: overlap in the markets. Do the two bring in $100mm? Cannot say, but if I had to guess, it would be "no."

Reactions: TheGLOV
The problem with the UVa-VaDreck combo is what you pointed out: overlap in the markets. Do the two bring in $100mm? Cannot say, but if I had to guess, it would be "no."
It's true there's overlap there, but gives you better positioning in the Mid-Atlantic; how much is that worth?

Reality is also there's a financial interest to FOX presumably in helping the Big Ten be a legitimate competitor to the SEC in heft, so they might be willing to pay the extra cash to cover those 2 schools for the inventory it adds and improvement it makes to the conference.

It's hard to say, perhaps only a combo that includes a school like FSU or Clemson or ND or UNC really moves the needle.

Either way the ACC contract is so bad that we can afford to just be patient; those schools are locked in at a rate way below what the Big Ten will be paying by 2030.

Sailed. Delany fvcked it up.

Ya. If he would have just allowed them to bring Texas Tech with them, and given them a higher share of the revenues than everyone else, they were ours to be had......unless Larry Scott offered them more.

Texas was playing us and Delany knew it. Delany demanded they play by the same rules as everyone else.

Larry Scott was willing to cave. Delany wasn't. Scott ended up getting screwed anyway.

Last night on ESPN, their college football writer speculated that the Big 10 now may want to poach some schools from the Big 12 considering that that conference is in the process of being disassembled. If so, KU and WVU would be logical for the purposes of the two divisions.

F*** no.

Reactions: gslachta
No -WVU doesn’t have the academic chops for inclusion. I know nothing about Kansas other than it couldn’t be less interesting

Ya. If he would have just allowed them to bring Texas Tech with them, and given them a higher share of the revenues than everyone else, they were ours to be had......unless Larry Scott offered them more.

Texas was playing us and Delany knew it. Delany demanded they play by the same rules as everyone else.

Larry Scott was willing to cave. Delany wasn't. Scott ended up getting screwed anyway.

This is what happens when you rely on newspapers as your sole source of info. Bill Powers and Gordo the Great developed a plan aimed at shedding Texas Tech. Would it have worked? Impossible to say, but Delany was too lazy and stupid to get his part right. The result was Nebraska, which was way down on the list of targets.

Virginia for recruitment, TV, potential connection to other eastern schools down the road. With the ACC fairly solid and GOR, will be tough to pry loose short term but would be awesome. Would love Virginia (East) and Oklahoma (West). I wouldn't mind WVU on a reduced deal that makes sense for all parties.

Reactions: Ski
Virginia for recruitment, TV, potential connection to other eastern schools down the road. With the ACC fairly solid and GOR, will be tough to pry loose short term but would be awesome. Would love Virginia (East) and Oklahoma (West). I wouldn't mind WVU on a reduced deal that makes sense for all parties.
UVA and Va Tech are permanently hitched together…the Virginia General Assembly and Gov made sure of that when Tech left the Big East for the ACC.

Reactions: OaktonDave
UVA and Va Tech are permanently hitched together…the Virginia General Assembly and Gov made sure of that when Tech left the Big East for the ACC.

Did they write legislation to that effect? If not, how many of those involved are still in office 17 years later?

The only targets that make sense are TA&M, and a few of the more prominent ACC schools that help with the DC and maybe other TV markets. Texas and OK are already locked into the SEC, but TA&M is clearly not happy with that. Why not go after them hard???

The only targets that make sense are TA&M, and a few of the more prominent ACC schools that help with the DC and maybe other TV markets. Texas and OK are already locked into the SEC, but TA&M is clearly not happy with that. Why not go after them hard???
Could you provide a link that says A&M is clearly not happy?

In the last go-round what ultimately saved the Big 12 from vanishing was Fox and ESPN coming up with a large pile of cash, presumably because it was in their interest to maintain the landscape. Could that happen again? Nah.

Imho the way for the BIG to go is raid the ACC. BC, Clemson, UNC, and ND. Everyone knows the two conferences coming out of this on top are the BIG and the SEC.

Reactions: The_Unit
Imho the way for the BIG to go is raid the ACC. BC, Clemson, UNC, and ND. Everyone knows the two conferences coming out of this on top are the BIG and the SEC.

I'd go for three of the four. BC is a none-starter as anyone in the ACC will tell you. It's one of the reasons the conference has such crappy media rights deals.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
No chance at WVU.

Their market is zero (and overlaps significantly with PSU's and OSU's).

It is not an academic fit either.

I totally agree with this. Kansas and Iowa state do nothing for the conference. The ACC is where to look.

Reactions: Ski and Cpeplion
Did they write legislation to that effect? If not, how many of those involved are still in office 17 years later?
Mark Warner was the Gov at the time and now he is one of our US senators..a lot of powerful people made it happen.

Old article but it explains a lot

I'd go for three of the four. BC is a none-starter as anyone in the ACC will tell you. It's one of the reasons the conference has such crappy media rights deals.
But BC gives you a HUGE area to expand the BTN. If a BTN team is in your area they can put BTN on basic cable packages and charge more which equates to more $$ because they can put the channel on EVERYONES package without them adding the service.

But BC gives you a HUGE area to expand the BTN. If a BTN team is in your area they can put BTN on basic cable packages and charge more which equates to more $$ because they can put the channel on EVERYONES package without them adding the service.

No, that is not the way it works. Nice to see that the myth persists.

Mark Warner was the Gov at the time and now he is one of our US senators..a lot of powerful people made it happen.

Old article but it explains a lot

And nothing else has changed in that time?

I can't say that the powers that be in Virginia won't insist that the two schools are a package deal, but that would be shortsighted. Don't see the both of them bringing in sufficient revenue to justify their membership.

If you’re gonna bring in UNC, why not Duke and NC State, as well? Sure, we’d get spanked in hoops, but so what? All quality schools, it keeps the rivalries going, and could make for some interesting match-ups in all sports. I said rivalries plural because deranged NC State fans still think UNC is their rival.

If you’re gonna bring in UNC, why not Duke and NC State, as well? Sure, we’d get spanked in hoops, but so what? All quality schools, it keeps the rivalries going, and could make for some interesting match-ups in all sports. I said rivalries plural because deranged NC State fans still think UNC is their rival.
Money.

ADVERTISEMENT