ADVERTISEMENT

If PSU Gets the Rose, Utah or Oregon?

PennState_one

Jan 10, 2016
Between Utah and Oregon,which do you prefer?

Also, who would they best match-up against?

I'll be honest, I haven't watched either team this season...

Last edited:
Between Utah and Oregon,which do you prefer?

Also, who would you rather see them play?

I'll be honest, I haven't watched either team this season...
problem. Have seen both. I would prefer Utah, simply for the novelty. I don't believe PSU has ever played them. They have an outstanding RB (MOSS), a very capable veteran QB and excellent defense. If we can get Clifford healthy it would be a great game.

problem. Have seen both. I would prefer Utah, simply for the novelty. I don't believe PSU has ever played them. They have an outstanding RB (MOSS), a very capable veteran QB and excellent defense. If we can get Clifford healthy it would be a great game.

I wouldn't mind seeing them face Utah as well. I guess we still have to see where the cards may fall yet anyway...

I think the only option is Oregon. If Utah wins, they will probably get into the playoff, unless somehow Georgia upsets LSU. That would be the only option to keep out a PAC 12 champ, and even then they may take them over a non champion SEC team.

Reactions: PennState_one
I think the only option is Oregon. If Utah wins, they will probably get into the playoff, unless somehow Georgia upsets LSU. That would be the only option to keep out a PAC 12 champ, and even then they may take them over a non champion SEC team.

You bring up a great point. I haven't thought about that scenario in a while, but I guess I really need to.

Won't happen. Wisky is 2 spots ahead and won't fall more than 1 spot even after the loss this week.

I've seen Oregon three times. They looked really good twice and weak once (loss to ASU). I've seen Utah once and they look very well balanced and well coached. Utah is playing better every week down the stretch and would probably be a tough win especially since we seem to be regressing over the past month. Oregon has the senior QB who might have the capability of really shredding our secondary. We would probably be a slight favorite against either team but based on the recent trends I think we lose to either opponent. It would be nice to get back to the Rose Bowl again but playing Virginia in the Orange would be a higher probability of victory and would be against a team we recruit against often. Either way win or lose a NYD6 game is a great accomplishment.

I've seen Oregon three times. They looked really good twice and weak once (loss to ASU). I've seen Utah once and they look very well balanced and well coached. Utah is playing better every week down the stretch and would probably be a tough win especially since we seem to be regressing over the past month. Oregon has the senior QB who might have the capability of really shredding our secondary. We would probably be a slight favorite against either team but based on the recent trends I think we lose to either opponent. It would be nice to get back to the Rose Bowl again but playing Virginia in the Orange would be a higher probability of victory and would be against a team we recruit against often. Either way win or lose a NYD6 game is a great accomplishment.

Yeah both teams scare me a little, but this team as overachieved so much this season either way. I'm very proud of the heart this team has. They never give up.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Oregon's passing attack could cause us fits. If Clifford is back and we have the offense to keep up with them, I could see another 52-49 game like ours with Darnold and USC.

On the other hand, Utah's defense could stymie our offense. Our defense may be able to hold their offense in check, but their balanced attack might be able to score on us.

Either way, it would be a good game. I don't see either us or them blowing the other out.

I think the OU/Baylor winner gets the 4th spot (assuming LSU beats Georgia).

Have watched both several times and Utah is a tougher matchup (imo) overall but the oregon passing game could utterly devastate our secondary. And one of the Johnsons' will be out for blood. Utah just is more disciplined and plays more like penn state of old... hard, gritty, determined. Imaginative (remember that).

Both games have great storylines and i'd be thrilled either way although playing a utah who gets skunked by oklahoma after defeating oregon would make for an incredible chip on the shoulder matchup with both teams having a lot to prove.

And yeah, unless wisky battles osu to the gun they likely fall below us and we are the RB selection (the BCS folks all but guaranteed that it won't be minny by dropping them to freaking 18th... imo, that is a travesty of itself. 18th???).

And unless utah clubs oregon, an impressive oklahoma win likely gets them past the utes. If not and we end up with oregon, it's still a fun game we (team and fans alike... unlike KY) should be able to get up for... I hope!

Reactions: PennState_one
Won't happen. Wisky is 2 spots ahead and won't fall more than 1 spot even after the loss this week.

I fear you are right. The "tell" is the committee only dropped Michigan 1 spot this week for losing to Ohio State by 27. If the committee only dropped Michigan for losing by 27 at HOME to Michigan, then there is a good chance Wiscy can get blown out on a NEUTRAL site, and just drop 1 spot also.

My guess for bowl:
Cotton .... if LSU beats Georgia
Orange .. if Georgia beats LSU

Reactions: odshowtime
Have watched both several times and Utah is a tougher matchup (imo) overall but the oregon passing game could utterly devastate our secondary. And one of the Johnsons' will be out for blood. Utah just is more disciplined and plays more like penn state of old... hard, gritty, determined. Imaginative (remember that).

Both games have great storylines and i'd be thrilled either way although playing a utah who gets skunked by oklahoma after defeating oregon would make for an incredible chip on the shoulder matchup with both teams having a lot to prove.

And yeah, unless wisky battles osu to the gun they likely fall below us and we are the RB selection (the BCS folks all but guaranteed that it won't be minny by dropping them to freaking 18th... imo, that is a travesty of itself. 18th???).

And unless utah clubs oregon, an impressive oklahoma win likely gets them past the utes. If not and we end up with oregon, it's still a fun game we (team and fans alike... unlike KY) should be able to get up for... I hope!

I agree with you about Utah being the tougher overall match-up. Utah is the more balanced team and I think they beat Oregon. IMO, the only way Oregon beats Utah is if Herbert just has a great game. ... In a Rose Bowl match-up, the same principal applies. I've seen Oregon be pretty bad & pretty awesome all in the same game depending on Herbert. I've seen them in a first half struggle to do anything, then in 2nd half he gets hot and they are un-stoppable.

I dis-agree about OU jumping Utah. I think the whole reason to have Utah over OU the last few weeks is that it's telling everyone Utah is going to be the #4 team should they win out. I think if chalk holds and both Utah & OU win, then Utah remains ahead of OU.

I fear you are right. The "tell" is the committee only dropped Michigan 1 spot this week for losing to Ohio State by 27. If the committee only dropped Michigan for losing by 27 at HOME to Michigan, then there is a good chance Wiscy can get blown out on a NEUTRAL site, and just drop 1 spot also.

My guess for bowl:
Michigan is different than Wisconsin....they always get treated differently in terms of rankings.

Michigan is different than Wisconsin....they always get treated differently in terms of rankings.

Ding Ding Ding! The BIG is a 2 horse show that requires you beat both the golden boys along with the refs... Can't wait until PSU gets into the position to leave it out of the refs hands on a regular basis.

Michigan is treated differently than Penn State too..... We lost to Ohio State by 11 in Columbus and dropped from 8 to 12 (4 spots). Michigan loses to Ohio State by 27 in Ann Arbor and they drop 1 spot.

There is definitely a 'name brand' bias in favor of certain schools. Heck, look at Texas they literally needed to lose their 4th game of the season before they were voted out of top 20.

No way a three loss team is ranked ahead of Penn State. Heck, Bama has been the committee darling, and look how far they tumbled with a second loss. Only way Wisconsin goes to the Rose is by beating Ohio State.

No way a three loss team is ranked ahead of Penn State. Heck, Bama has been the committee darling, and look how far they tumbled with a second loss. Only way Wisconsin goes to the Rose is by beating Ohio State.

My initial thoughts, but this doesn’t sound good. However, if it does take into account that they’re division champs, it should also be taken into account which division they play in.

Wasn't Barry Alvarez also connected with this committee a few years back? There are definitely behind the scenes, back-channel calls being made. Me thinks a "wink wink" call from good ol' Barry Alvarez is stronger than one from Sandy.

If osu pounds wisky the rose bowl is not going to want them. not exactly the hype they're looking for, imo.

Starts with osu pummeling wisky... if it's close... well, if it's close, then i'd just as soon see wisky win and leave osu with that "WTF just happened here" look lol

Reactions: Kiber
If osu pounds wisky the rose bowl is not going to want them. not exactly the hype they're looking for, imo.

Starts with osu pummeling wisky... if it's close... well, if it's close, then i'd just as soon see wisky win and leave osu with that "WTF just happened here" look lol

I agree. The 2 outcomes I believe we all need to pull for Saturday:

1. Georgia beats LSU .... This puts Florida in the Sugar and pretty much assures us no worse than Orange. Even if the Rose takes Wiscy, then the Orange would take us if Florida has to go to Sugar.

2. OSU pummels Wiscy (again) ... Like you said, a close game would probably swing the vote to Wiscy. Right now people like Herbstreit are leading a charge claiming a loss in a Conf Champ Game should not hurt you and that playing in a Conf Champ Game should be rewarded. I think with the talking hairdos swinging opinion, if Wiscy hangs close, they will get Rose. If OSU can pummel Wiscy, then it could be too hard to justify taking them and the Rose probably does not want a team who was last seen on national TV getting destroyed.

My guess for bowl:

Other than pure bias against UM..Why whould you drop them below 15? They got beat by the best team in the country and who the hell behind them are actually better than them?

ND--got smoked by Mich
Iowa--lost to Mich
Minn--(maybe)
Memphis
Boise
Cincy
App State
USC
UVA
Navy
Okie State...

Do you honestly think that ANY of those teams are actually hands down better than Michigan?

Reactions: nits74

The committee thinks their win over us was a fluke. That win is their entire resume.

The committee thinks their win over us was a fluke. That win is their entire resume.

but again, who above them are they better than? Memphis..I think so..but I really doubt they are better than any of the other teams above that.

Other than pure bias against UM..Why whould you drop them below 15? They got beat by the best team in the country and who the hell behind them are actually better than them?

ND--got smoked by Mich
Iowa--lost to Mich
Minn--(maybe)
Memphis
Boise
Cincy
App State
USC
UVA
Navy
Okie State...

Do you honestly think that ANY of those teams are actually hands down better than Michigan?

But take the "Michigan" off the front of their uniform and you have a team that got CRUSHED twice... not once... but TWICE. Wiscy crushed them 35-14 and then Ohio State crushed them by 27.

Again. Forget that their helmet has "wings" and the front of their jersey has "Michigan". I doubt any other team has 3 loses and 2 of them are in blow-out fashion, stays as high as them.

But take the "Michigan" off the front of their uniform and you have a team that got CRUSHED twice... not once... but TWICE. Wiscy crushed them 35-14 and then Ohio State crushed them by 27.

Again. Forget that their helmet has "wings" and the front of their jersey has "Michigan". I doubt any other team has 3 loses and 2 of them are in blow-out fashion, stays as high as them.

But..who below them is ACTUALLY better than they are? You tell me which one of those teams is better...besides Minnesota, which I agreed may be better than them...and keep in mind that if you drop them then you're also dropping Notre Dame, Iowa, and Minn

There is no way a three loss wiscy team stays in front of psu. It is possible the ou/Baylor winner, if its ou, jumps Utah to love to #4 and we play them, meaning Utah, in the Rose.
I wouldn't rule it out. If The Big Ten has a say in it, it could well be Wisconsin, barring an absolute Ohio State blowout.

If B1G thinks there is a chance that OSU is in CFP, Badgers in Rose, and Penn State in a NY6, they will absolutely try to influence Rose Bowl selection vs only OSU in CFP and us in Rose with no other B1G team in another NY6.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT