ADVERTISEMENT

If Ohio State happens to win the BIG with 2 losses, both blowouts

the CFP committee will try their best to get them into the playoffs. We get left out winning the BIG because we lost to Michigan big. But that won't matter with Ohio State.

We had 2 losses last year--Ohio State had one loss...why do people ignore that?

We'd both have 2 this year, they'd have one more win and a head to head win. Plus a win over a top 10 Wisconsin giving them 2 top 10 wins compared to us having zero this year.

Comparing last year to this year doesn't make sense because literally nothing is the same.

The committee isn't "trying" to get Ohio State in. If Alabama, Miami, Oklahoma and Ohio State win out those are the four playoff teams--it isn't even a debate

If OSU beats WI then WI will only have 1 loss to OSU 2 losses (assuming they both win their last game). Last year head to head didn't matter. The championship didn't matter. Only our two losses mattered. Waiting to see if that same "logic" is used. Ha! Not a chance. OSU will gave Delaney lobbying for them, just like last season. Need a playoff with ONLY conference WINNERS.

If OSU beats WI then WI will only have 1 loss to OSU 2 losses (assuming they both win their last game). Last year head to head didn't matter. The championship didn't matter. Only our two losses mattered. Waiting to see if that same "logic" is used. Ha! Not a chance. OSU will gave Delaney lobbying for them, just like last season. Need a playoff with ONLY conference WINNERS.

Wisconsin will have no top 10 wins. Ohio State will have 2 top 10 wins. It isn't the same logic as last year because Wisconsin doesn't have a non-conference win like Ohio State had last year. Only conference winners is the worst idea ever. If Bama falls to Auburn this week they should still be in...there's no doubt they're a top 4 team even with 1 losses. The playoffs aren't hard to figure out. People keep talking about Penn State-Ohio State as though that was even the debate last year. That debate only existed here (for the most part) everyone else debated the two 2-loss team--Washington & Penn State. The Big Ten should have had two teams last year. We should have been #4

We'd both have 2 this year, they'd have one more win and a head to head win. Plus a win over a top 10 Wisconsin giving them 2 top 10 wins compared to us having zero this year.

Comparing last year to this year doesn't make sense because literally nothing is the same.

The committee isn't "trying" to get Ohio State in. If Alabama, Miami, Oklahoma and Ohio State win out those are the four playoff teams--it isn't even a debate

Why ignore the head to head and conference championship? OSU’s loss to Iowa is worse than our loss to Michigan last year - by a mile. If OSU gets in the CFP is a farce.

Why ignore the head to head and conference championship? OSU’s loss to Iowa is worse than our loss to Michigan last year - by a mile. If OSU gets in the CFP is a farce.

We had TWO losses last year not ONE...pay attention
Last year, Ohio State was easily in over us due to the Oklahoma win.
Last year, we had two losses--blown out by Michigan and a bad loss to unranked Pitt
This year, Ohio State has a bad loss to unranked Iowa but the other loss was to a top 2-5 team. Michigan was not a top 2-5 teams last year
Wisconsin (THIS YEAR) can't compete with the resume of Ohio State (LAST YEAR)
This is all common sense--put aside the bias

Wisconsin will have no top 10 wins. Ohio State will have 2 top 10 wins. It isn't the same logic as last year because Wisconsin doesn't have a non-conference win like Ohio State had last year. Only conference winners is the worst idea ever. If Bama falls to Auburn this week they should still be in...there's no doubt they're a top 4 team even with 1 losses. The playoffs aren't hard to figure out. People keep talking about Penn State-Ohio State as though that was even the debate last year. That debate only existed here (for the most part) everyone else debated the two 2-loss team--Washington & Penn State. The Big Ten should have had two teams last year. We should have been #4

Everyone else wanted OSU in last year too. Doesn’t make it right.

Lucky losers (teams that don't win their conference) have no business being named "champion". You should have to WIN. I hate wild cards in pro sports for the same reason. If it's conference winners the entire season is the playoff. Out of conference should only determine seeding.

Last year, we had two losses--blown out by Michigan and a bad loss to unranked Pitt
This year, Ohio State has a bad loss to unranked Iowa but the other loss was to a top 2-5 team. Michigan was not a top 2-5 teams last year

You pay attention - who says number of losses matter? Did you see the criteria for CFP rankings at the beginning of the year? Conference championships and head to head listed - number of losses not. It’s not hard, unless you’re an OSU shill and it appears you are.

Lucky losers (teams that don't win their conference) have no business being named "champion". You should have to WIN. I hate wild cards in pro sports for the same reason. If it's conference winners the entire season is the playoff. Out of conference should only determine seeding.

Then you need to stop watching sports. The entire season shouldn't be a playoff. One loss should never eliminate any team. EVER

Reactions: 58psu77
Ohio State in last year was the right decision based on the resume. Again, it wasn't a Penn State-Ohio State debate. It was Penn State-Washington and we got screwed. They should have been penalized for the non-conference schedule they put together.

That’s like putting Pitt in because they beat Clemson and PSU. The problem is there isn’t any criteria until the CFP wants a certain team in - so, two losses won’t matter for OSU because they’re OSU.

You pay attention - who says number of losses matter? Did you see the criteria for CFP rankings at the beginning of the year? Conference championships and head to head listed - number of losses not. It’s not hard, unless you’re an OSU shill and it appears you are.

Unsurprisingly you got it wrong. You're listing criteria ONCE teams are determined to be "comparable". Penn State and Ohio State weren't deemed comparable last year due to record. If you can read click on the link http://www.collegefootballplayoff.c...0//CFP_Selection_Committee_Protocol.pdf?id=23

Reactions: 58psu77
Ohio State in last year was the right decision based on the resume. Again, it wasn't a Penn State-Ohio State debate. It was Penn State-Washington and we got screwed. They should have been penalized for the non-conference schedule they put together.

OSU had two losses last year - not one like you state

Reactions: tbingman

Unsurprisingly you got it wrong. You're listing criteria ONCE teams are determined to be "comparable". Penn State and Ohio State weren't deemed comparable last year due to record. If you can read click on the link http://www.collegefootballplayoff.c...0//CFP_Selection_Committee_Protocol.pdf?id=23

Right. So, why weren’t Big 12 teams comparable previously? Keep moving the goalposts...and tell me why Central Florida isn’t in the top four. BECAUSE RECORD ISN’T EVERYTHING. Do you understand?

That’s like putting Pitt in because they beat Clemson and PSU. The problem is there isn’t any criteria until the CFP wants a certain team in - so, two losses won’t matter for OSU because they’re OSU.

2 losses won't matter if we're comparing them to a 2-3 loss Pac XII champion, a 2-3 loss, Notre Dame, 3 loss Georgia/Auburn, a 3 loss Clemson and a 2 loss Penn State because then "comparable" criteria becomes relevant.

It isn't hard to undestand "comparable"

What will be interesting is if they have to debate a 1 loss Miami who didn't win their conference and a 2-loss Ohio State.

If Wisconsin loses in the title game to Ohio State that's not the same as Penn State beating Wisconsin last year when Ohio State didn't play that week

2 losses won't matter if we're comparing them to a 2-3 loss Pac XII champion, a 2-3 loss, Notre Dame, 3 loss Georgia/Auburn, a 3 loss Clemson and a 2 loss Penn State because then "comparable" criteria becomes relevant.

It isn't hard to undestand "comparable"

What will be interesting is if they have to debate a 1 loss Miami who didn't win their conference and a 2-loss Ohio State.

If Wisconsin loses in the title game to Ohio State that's not the same as Penn State beating Wisconsin last year when Ohio State didn't play that week

You’re the one who inferred record to mean ‘comparable’ in their rules - unless I missed it. If I did, please quote exactly where it says that. Thanks.

For fun...tell me who you think they lost to other than Penn State when they were picked for the playoff. I'm so tired of clueless people. Do you need me to share their schedule or can I just say you're wrong?

The committee did not compare Penn State and Ohio State last year. They stated this. Penn State was 11-2 while Ohio State was 11-1. Ohio State was compared to Clemson and lost because Clemson won the ACC. Penn State and Washington were compared and somehow Penn State lost which is nonsense. The reality is they didn't want two teams from one conference.

The criteria ONLY applies for criteria. Overall record is reviewed before the comparable criteria...so simple

You’re the one who inferred record to mean ‘comparable’ in their rules - unless I missed it. If I did, please quote exactly where it says that. Thanks.

What are you talking about? I've known you for a long time here--you're reaching a new level of stupidity

UCF isn't being compared to other teams because of their schedule and lack of quality wins. Do you watch the playoff show or are you too busy boycotting ESPN?

Last year OSU beat OKLAHOMA, Michigan and Wisconsin, 3 top 10 teams and loss one close game on the road to another top 10 team. If Wisconsin losses to OSU, who is their best win? An unranked Michigan team? Do you really not see the difference between Wisconsin this year and OSU last year?

Reactions: Al_Tuna
What are you talking about? I've known you for a long time here--you're reaching a new level of stupidity

You’re acting like there is a set criteria for teams selected. You’re the one who brought up the ridiculous idea of whether or not teams are comparable. You linked their rules - show me where the criteria is that says losses are what makes teams comparable. You’re seriously reaching to defend an indefensible point. Go root for OSU or post your facts. Bottom line is two losses mattered last year, but won’t this year. Defend that.

I’m giving you likes because I agree, not because I actually like the result. Totally different seasons and fields of candidates for the 4 spots. Last year was an issue of WHETHER to consider a 2-loss team, this year may be WHICH 2-loss team, or whether wisky belongs despite beating nobody good then losing to OSU when it mattered. So many maybes it’s not worth the arguments now.

But 78sweetrevenge (wherever the heck that handle came from) is right. Sucks that OSU may benefit twice using similar arguments to get in as failed us last year, but it’s not the same season or situation. Here’s hoping wisky gets in, or the B1G gets the CFP shaft.

Reactions: Al_Tuna and vops
UCF isn't being compared to other teams because of their schedule and lack of quality wins. Do you watch the playoff show or are you too busy boycotting ESPN?

I’m trying to use your failed logic to make sense of a completely subjective selection process. Clearly not working. You change the rules as you go - last year it’s losses that matter, this year it’s wins. I don’t see either of those items listed as top criteria for ranking teams and you’ve done nothing to prove otherwise. Stop while you’re behind.

Last year OSU beat OKLAHOMA, Michigan and Wisconsin, 3 top 10 teams and loss one close game on the road to another top 10 team. If Wisconsin losses to OSU, who is their best win? An unranked Michigan team? Do you really not see the difference between Wisconsin this year and OSU last year?

Northwestern who will be around 20 and their only win over a ranked a ranked team. I think people are refusing to acknowledge facts because they want to be outraged over what happened last year.

The committee did not compare Penn State and Ohio State last year. They stated this. Penn State was 11-2 while Ohio State was 11-1. Ohio State was compared to Clemson and lost because Clemson won the ACC. Penn State and Washington were compared and somehow Penn State lost which is nonsense. The reality is they didn't want two teams from one conference.

The criteria ONLY applies for criteria. Overall record is reviewed before the comparable criteria...so simple

Why wasn’t the Big 12 considered previously? No conference championship. We WIN ours, and beat OSU - so we have at least two of their top criteria - per their admission - and OSU gets in because? One fewer loss? Ok.

I’m trying to use your failed logic to make sense of a completely subjective selection process. Clearly not working. You change the rules as you go - last year it’s losses that matter, this year it’s wins. I don’t see either of those items listed as top criteria for ranking teams and you’ve done nothing to prove otherwise. Stop while you’re behind.

I'm not behind...do you seriously not understand what is being discussed? Last year, the COMMITTEE acknowledged that Penn State-Ohio State was never discussed because they weren't comparable. 99% of college fans knew Ohio State was in before championship weekend. And that's not based on "name"...it was based on THREE top 10 wins. THREE. And their only loss coming against a top 5 Penn State. I hate Ohio State but they had one of the best resumes during the four years of the playoffs.

Why wasn’t the Big 12 considered previously? No conference championship. We WIN ours, and beat OSU - so we have at least two of their top criteria - per their admission - and OSU gets in because? One fewer loss? Ok.
They were considered, they just didn't get in, primarily because of their horrible non conference schedules.

I'm not behind...do you seriously not understand what is being discussed? Last year, the COMMITTEE acknowledged that Penn State-Ohio State was never discussed because they weren't comparable. 99% of college fans knew Ohio State was in before championship weekend. And that's not based on "name"...it was based on THREE top 10 wins. THREE. And there only loss coming against a top 5 Penn State. I hate Ohio State but they had one of the best resumes during the four years of the playoffs.

Rank your criteria for me. Or at least rank the committee’s so I know where you’re coming from. If conference championships matter, we should have been in. If head to head matters, we should have been in. If it’s losses, they’re in despite playing one fewer game. If it’s ‘most deserving’ or ‘best team possible’ that’s something else altogether. Bottom Line is the criteria will be different for OSU this year despite two horrible losses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT