ADVERTISEMENT

If Ohio State happens to win the BIG with 2 losses, both blowouts

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/college-football-2016-playoff-alabama-washington-ohio-state-clemson/

The discussion as Kirby Hocutt states was Penn State-Washington. We all should know this by now. Especially as Penn State fans. My guess is you guys were too bad about us not getting in that you didn't pay attention to anything said and created this nonsense of Ohio State getting in over us when that was a lock

I'm astounded that anyone defends what "the committee" (sounds a bit like the Politburo...) says.

The committee chooses based on the eye test. Thats it. They spout whatever nonsense they'd like to make it seem reasonable to the soft-minded.

Think it through. Is there any precedent, at any level of competitive sports ever, from PeeWee hockey to high school basketball to the NFL, for the winner of a conference championship game NOT to move on to the quarter/semi finals, and the LOSER of the very same conference be given a chance to move on? Give me one example.

There are plenty of examples where the loser of a conference, being judged an excellent team either by record or some other metric moves on as a wild-card/at-large entrant, ALONG WITH the WINNER of the very same conference.

The loser moving on while the winner stays home? No example of this, ever. Why even play a conference championship game?

Except OSU over PSU CFB 2016.

I'm astounded that anyone defends what "the committee" (sounds a bit like the Politburo...) says.

The committee chooses based on the eye test. Thats it. They spout whatever nonsense they'd like to make it seem reasonable to the soft-minded.

Think it through. Is there any precedent, at any level of competitive sports ever, from PeeWee hockey to high school basketball to the NFL, for the winner of a conference championship game NOT to move on to the quarter/semi finals, and the LOSER of the very same conference be given a chance to move on? Give me one example.

There are plenty of examples where the loser of a conference, being judged an excellent team either by record or some other metric moves on as a wild-card/at-large entrant, ALONG WITH the WINNER of the very same conference.

The loser moving on while the winner stays home? No example of this, ever. Why even play a conference championship game?

Except OSU over PSU CFB 2016.

Because FBS is the only sport where conference/division winners aren't automatically in. That's why and, for some reason, the people that keep mentioning this are the same ones against a 16-24 team playoff. With a 4 team playoff you don't have to win the conference title. Just like Bama will be in if they lose to Auburn this weekend and ranked higher than Auburn or Georgia if they get in (one should unless Ga Tech beat Georgia then Georgia beats Auburn)

You don't have to like it but it isn't hard to comprehend

Championship game allows you to raise a banner...nothing else. No one ever said winning a conf title got you in the playoffs. If you think winning a conference matters you should be screaming for a 16+ team playoff and complaining that all 10 conference winners aren't included.

Because FBS is the only sport where conference/division winners aren't automatically in. That's why and, for some reason, the people that keep mentioning this are the same ones against a 16-24 team playoff. With a 4 team playoff you don't have to win the conference title. Just like Bama will be in if they lose to Auburn this weekend and ranked higher than Auburn or Georgia if they get in (one should unless Ga Tech beat Georgia then Georgia beats Auburn)

You don't have to like it but it isn't hard to comprehend

Championship game allows you to raise a banner...nothing else. No one ever said winning a conf title got you in the playoffs. If you think winning a conference matters you should be screaming for a 16+ team playoff and complaining that all 10 conference winners aren't included.

You misinterpreted what I wrote.
I understand that only 4 of the 5 conference champs can get in.
I understand that there are practical matters of too many games for the players, etc.

What I dont understand is why a conference LOSER gets in over the WINNER of a conference championship game. There is simply no precedent for that, in the CFB playoff, or in any competitive sport ever.

Except OSU 2016.

You misinterpreted what I wrote.
I understand that only 4 of the 5 conference champs can get in.
I understand that there are practical matters of too many games for the players, etc.

What I dont understand is why a conference LOSER gets in over the WINNER of a conference championship game. There is simply no precedent for that, in the CFB playoff, or in any competitive sport ever.

Except OSU 2016.

Again, in no other sport is that even an option so of course it is unprecedented. Though it could easily happen with Bama this year again.

And, you're wrong, 4 conference champs don't get in. 4 teams get in--a title is not required.

I understood what you wrote it just doesn't make sense because you're not applying what the FBS has set as guidelines.

Answer me this...do you want a large playoff or do you like the four team playoff? If you like the four team playoff you can't argue that conference champions matter. They only matter if all 10 conference winners get in

I’m not one who would be upset if OSU doesn’t get into the CFP this year even if Miami, Alabama and Oklahoma win out. I’m pretty sure we would get in, but our bad awful horrible loss to Iowa took the decision out of our hands, and we can’t complain about what the committee ultimately decides. Losing has an impact. We are better off working on winning than complaining.

Same with Penn State — your loss to OSU didn’t doom you, the second loss to MSU did. Once the second loss occurred, your resume became subjective, and every set of fans sees their own situation more favorably than everyone elses’.

I’m not one who would be upset if OSU doesn’t get into the CFP this year even if Miami, Alabama and Oklahoma win out. I’m pretty sure we would get in, but our bad awful horrible loss to Iowa took the decision out of our hands, and we can’t complain about what the committee ultimately decides. Losing has an impact. We are better off working on winning than complaining.

Same with Penn State — your loss to OSU didn’t doom you, the second loss to MSU did. Once the second loss occurred, your resume became subjective, and every set of fans sees their own situation more favorably than everyone elses’.

It’s actually the OSU game that killed us because if we beat them, we’re in the Conference Championship game assuming we win out and MSU still has losses against NW and OSU.

Wisconsin will have no top 10 wins. Ohio State will have 2 top 10 wins. It isn't the same logic as last year because Wisconsin doesn't have a non-conference win like Ohio State had last year. Only conference winners is the worst idea ever. If Bama falls to Auburn this week they should still be in...there's no doubt they're a top 4 team even with 1 losses. The playoffs aren't hard to figure out. People keep talking about Penn State-Ohio State as though that was even the debate last year. That debate only existed here (for the most part) everyone else debated the two 2-loss team--Washington & Penn State. The Big Ten should have had two teams last year. We should have been #4

Do you think OSU falls behind PSU if they lose to Michigan and beat Wisconsin ? OR...If they beat Michigan but lose to Wisconsin ? Interesting...

Osu will definelty be behind us if they lose either of the next two games. Ohio State has zero chance to make the playoff so please stop. Either sec or acc gets two teams in this year.

Osu will definelty be behind us if they lose either of the next two games. Ohio State has zero chance to make the playoff so please stop. Either sec or acc gets two teams in this year.
If you think that, you really haven't been paying attention to college football.

Do you think OSU falls behind PSU if they lose to Michigan and beat Wisconsin ? OR...If they beat Michigan but lose to Wisconsin ? Interesting...

I think they definitely fall behind us...the only team that could lose 3 games and stay ahead of us is Auburn IMO.

if Ohio State wins out they're odds are probably at 90-95% to make the playoff. They're a lock IMO if Alabama beats Auburn. Let's just root for Wisconsin :)

Yes, I played hockey at a high level (BCHL & NCAA) and lacrosse. Wins & losses absolutely matter. Never was on a team where one losses eliminated us from anything. That only exists in FBS football-no other sport in the world.

No one ever said record doesn't matter aside those that believe Penn State having 2 losses last year compared to 1 loss for Ohio State shouldn't have mattered.

Name another sport where a team is eliminated, as you want, by 1 loss in the regular season. Go for it
Name another sport where a champ is crowned via popularity contest. Seriously, you’re getting into gymnastics/figure skating/diving territory here.

And if 1 loss eliminates a team, so be it. That’s the way it works in EVERY OTHER COMPETITIVE SPORT. Win your conference - regardless of how many losses you have - and advance. Anything else is a beauty pageant.

Reactions: johnmpsu
It’s a subjective system. There is no exact formula for inclusion or exclusion into the playoffs. Because it is subjective, there is no wrong decision and no exacty right decision, just a decision. The only thing for coaches and players to do is play within the system given. In between seasons, those who influence college football can fight for changes.

The reality is try to win given the rules of the time- whether champions are determined by the AP/UPI vote, the BCS, or via playoff committee.

As an OSU fan, whether we’re talking about 2014, 2015, 2016, or 2017, if the Buckeyes get in, great because a subjective argument could be made that they should. If they don’t get in, that’s understandable because a subjective argument could be made that they shouldn’t.

Name another sport where a champ is crowned via popularity contest. Seriously, you’re getting into gymnastics/figure skating/diving territory here.

And if 1 loss eliminates a team, so be it. That’s the way it works in EVERY OTHER COMPETITIVE SPORT. Win your conference - regardless of how many losses you have - and advance. Anything else is a beauty pageant.

There isn't another sport, at least in the US, where everyone involved in the post season is a division/conference champ. Not even MLB after 162 games. Try again

Popularity doesn’t determine who is crowned champion in College FBS. Who has the the potential to win the Championship is determined by a subjective decision based on objective and subjective data, but the champion itself isn’t determined by subjectivity.

There isn't another sport, at least in the US, where everyone involved in the post season is a division/conference champ. Not even MLB after 162 games. Try again
But there isn't one where the conference champion doesn't get included other than college football.

But there isn't one where the conference champion doesn't get included other than college football.

Right--that's a huge problem as well. All 10 conference champions MUST be included otherwise why are teams from the Sun Belt, MWC, American, CUSA & MAC even playing football. They either need to have their own subdivision or we need a playoff with at least 12 teams (ideally 24/realistically 16)

It’s a subjective system. There is no exact formula for inclusion or exclusion into the playoffs. Because it is subjective, there is no wrong decision and no exacty right decision, just a decision. The only thing for coaches and players to do is play within the system given. In between seasons, those who influence college football can fight for changes.

The reality is try to win given the rules of the time- whether champions are determined by the AP/UPI vote, the BCS, or via playoff committee.

As an OSU fan, whether we’re talking about 2014, 2015, 2016, or 2017, if the Buckeyes get in, great because a subjective argument could be made that they should. If they don’t get in, that’s understandable because a subjective argument could be made that they shouldn’t.
A lot easier for someone to say this when they are always favored to get in. The committee remembers how Zeke Elliot took you to the title one time, and conveniently forgets when you get smoked like a picnic ham, like last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT