ADVERTISEMENT

If Ohio State happens to win the BIG with 2 losses, both blowouts

Why wasn’t the Big 12 considered previously? No conference championship. We WIN ours, and beat OSU - so we have at least two of their top criteria - per their admission - and OSU gets in because? One fewer loss? Ok.

Again--that criteria only goes into affect IF the committee deemed our resume with a blow out and a loss to Pitt was comparable to Ohio State's resume with THREE top 10 wins. They didn't. I can't believe you or anyone else believes that Penn State-Ohio State was a debate last year or that the Big XII has anything to do with it. The Big XII was hurt by not having an extra game to showcase their teams. They only get 10 wins with 2 losses where a conference champ from another Power 5 would have 11 with 2 losses. It's simple. Hopefully it ****s the Big XII this year and TCU or Iowa State beat OU

None of this will matter - Wisconsin will beat Ohio State. OSU will come down after beating Michigan, same as their letdown after they beat PSU. Final 4 will be Bama, Clemson, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin.

Again--that criteria only goes into affect IF the committee deemed our resume with a blow out and a loss to Pitt was comparable to Ohio State's resume with THREE top 10 wins. They didn't. I can't believe you or anyone else believes that Penn State-Ohio State was a debate last year or that the Big XII has anything to do with it. The Big XII was hurt by not having an extra game to showcase their teams. They only get 10 wins with 2 losses where a conference champ from another Power 5 would have 11 with 2 losses. It's simple. Hopefully it ****s the Big XII this year and TCU or Iowa State beat OU

But now you’re saying the Big 12 suffered from not having an extra game - why play one if it’s not needed to get in? See: OSU last year. Have the last word....we’re not going to agree.

Rank your criteria for me. Or at least rank the committee’s so I know where you’re coming from. If conference championships matter, we should have been in. If head to head matters, we should have been in. If it’s losses, they’re in despite playing one fewer game. If it’s ‘most deserving’ or ‘best team possible’ that’s something else altogether. Bottom Line is the criteria will be different for OSU this year despite two horrible losses.

Did you read the link?
The criteria is the same. They will be compared to comparable teams which is why they'd get the nod over USC/Washington/Washington State/Auburn and Georgia. Plus Wisconsin because of their lack of quality wins.

None of this will matter - Wisconsin will beat Ohio State. OSU will come down after beating Michigan, same as their letdown after they beat PSU. Final 4 will be Bama, Clemson, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin.

That would be great IMO. Hope we're that lucky

Here's the reality...every year things are going to be different because the resumes will be different.

Not true. Bad losses, big wins, conference championships, and head to head will still mean something and still occur. Only the teams, and what the committee seems important, will change.

Here's the reality...every year things are going to be different because the resumes will be different.
Agreed. Every year is it’s own animal. The committee does have four items they are supposed to take into consideration, Head to Head and championships being two of them - which are two boxes we checked against Ohio State. So even though they had a better record, I was surprised at the final selection. I was actually disappointed that Washington got in over us last year. But, the two losses hurt. Just like this year - you could make the argument we are the best two loss team (I mean 4 points away!!). But it still won’t matter.

Agreed. Every year is it’s own animal. The committee does have four items they are supposed to take into consideration, Head to Head and championships being two of them - which are two boxes we checked against Ohio State. So even though they had a better record, I was surprised at the final selection. I was actually disappointed that Washington got in over us last year. But, the two losses hurt. Just like this year - you could make the argument we are the best two loss team (I mean 4 points away!!). But it still won’t matter.

Those things are only used "once the committee deems teams to be comparable". They didn't considered us and Ohio State as comparable last year which is logical. They said that.

Yes, we were probably the best two loss team last year and we have a good argument his year because of how close the games were. Washington getting the nod over us last year still bothers me because of their non-conference schedule. I came to terms with Ohio State getting in over us before we even beat Wisconsin.

Last year OSU beat OKLAHOMA, Michigan and Wisconsin, 3 top 10 teams and loss one close game on the road to another top 10 team. If Wisconsin losses to OSU, who is their best win? An unranked Michigan team? Do you really not see the difference between Wisconsin this year and OSU last year?
I guess you're right. OSU sure proved to be deserving last year. They gave Clemson a hell of a game. Expand the playoff and only include conference winners. This way the committee won't have to ignore their own rules.

8 teams

5 power Champs
1 highest non power 5
2 remaining at large

This makes all games matter. And teams would be clamoring to schedule the toughest OOC games as they would serve to benefit the team
As a loss doesn't isn't a killer ( still have conference championship) but a win is a huge feather in the at large cap

As the system currently functions, a loss to a team that sucks is better than losing to a good team

Reactions: Howie'81
Think for yourself.

I am. They're right. Alabama (13-0), Miami (13-0), Oklahoma (12-1) are in

They compare those 3 teams for seedings.

Then you have the next group
Ohio State (11-2) conference champ--best win Penn State (2 top 10 wins)
Wisconsin (12-1) best win Northwestern (just lost to Ohio State)
Penn State (10-2) best win Northwestern (two close losses)
Auburn (9-3) no great wins--3 quality losses
Georgia (10-2) best win Notre Dame...2 quality losses
Pac XII winner (11-2)...no quality wins but conf champ
Notre Dame (10-2)...quality losses best win USC
Clemson (11-2) best win Auburn bad loss to Syracuse

Logically--who goes? It's obviously Ohio State as much as I hate that. If you want to get mad about things when they make sense then go for it.

I still think 16 teams is the minimum that works because all 10 conferences need bids or we need to break FBS into 2 levels.

This will be one of the biggest jolts ever one team gets left out one year and the next gets to the playoffs next year. They will eventually kill college football as the NFL is doing to itself right now

If OSU beats Wisconsin I think a 1 loss Miami will get in over OSU.

I am. They're right. Alabama (13-0), Miami (13-0), Oklahoma (12-1) are in

They compare those 3 teams for seedings.

Then you have the next group
Ohio State (11-2) conference champ--best win Penn State (2 top 10 wins)
Wisconsin (12-1) best win Northwestern (just lost to Ohio State)
Penn State (10-2) best win Northwestern (two close losses)
Auburn (9-3) no great wins--3 quality losses
Georgia (10-2) best win Notre Dame...2 quality losses
Pac XII winner (11-2)...no quality wins but conf champ
Notre Dame (10-2)...quality losses best win USC
Clemson (11-2) best win Auburn bad loss to Syracuse

Logically--who goes? It's obviously Ohio State as much as I hate that. If you want to get mad about things when they make sense then go for it.

You think the Committee and media (not all media agree with you or the Committee, so I'll cut them a break...) is without issue - they put in your beloved Buckeyes last year who lost by 31 points to Clemson. While failing to score even one of their own. If you're fine with that because OSU beat three ranked teams (noting we beat them, and Wisconsin, and won our conference), then 'go for it.' They got it wrong. Big time. And will again if OSU gets in. Think for yourself.

Every single person in the media agrees that Ohio State gets in IF Alabama, Miami & Oklahoma win out. If that happens there won't even be a debate. Especially if Stanford beat ND
I would think there would be a lot of support for Clemson if they lost to Miami.

You think the Committee and media (not all media agree with you or the Committee, so I'll cut them a break...) is without issue - they put in your beloved Buckeyes last year who lost by 31 points to Clemson. While failing to score even one of their own. If you're fine with that because OSU beat three ranked teams (noting we beat them, and Wisconsin, and won our conference), then 'go for it.' They got it wrong. Big time. And will again if OSU gets in. Think for yourself.

The decision is based on the resume at the time not on what happens next. Who says Clemson doesn't destroy Pen State or USC? Ohio State beat 3 TOP TEN TEAMS and had only one loss to a TOP FIVE TEAM. If we beat Pitt we're in but we didn't. If we beat Michigan we're in but we didn't. We had to win one of those games for the conference title/head to head win to matter. You have to understand this--it isn't difficult. My 3 year old gets it.

Reactions: PSUSignore
I would think there would be a lot of support for Clemson if they lost to Miami.

That Syracuse loss looks worse every week. Let's see how they do against South Carolina this week. Clemson at 11-2 would probably be comparable to 11-2 Ohio State...then the conf title comes into play. I don't think they have any common opponents.

We had TWO losses last year not ONE...pay attention
Last year, Ohio State was easily in over us due to the Oklahoma win.
Last year, we had two losses--blown out by Michigan and a bad loss to unranked Pitt
This year, Ohio State has a bad loss to unranked Iowa but the other loss was to a top 2-5 team. Michigan was not a top 2-5 teams last year
Wisconsin (THIS YEAR) can't compete with the resume of Ohio State (LAST YEAR)
This is all common sense--put aside the bias

OSU has TWO BAD LOSSES on their resume - they were blown out at home and on the road vs Iowa. if they lose even one more game they have to be out of any NY6 game talk. even if they win out, they cannot be guaranteed to get in. If you have Georgia 1 loss, Bama 1 loss and Miami 1 loss all of them should trump OSU, along with Clemson and Oklahmoma

OSU has TWO BAD LOSSES on their resume - they were blown out at home and on the road vs Iowa. if they lose even one more game they have to be out of any NY6 game talk. even if they win out, they cannot be guaranteed to get in. If you have Georgia 1 loss, Bama 1 loss and Miami 1 loss all of them should trump OSU, along with Clemson and Oklahmoma

Alabama losing eliminates Ohio State--they'll take a spot and the SEC will get two teams if Ohio State wins out. Clemson with 2 losses isn't getting in over Ohio State IMO. I think we all just want Wisconsin to win the Big Ten but then things get really tricky if Bama has a loss.

Then you need to stop watching sports. The entire season shouldn't be a playoff. One loss should never eliminate any team. EVER
Serious question - you never played competitive sports did you? Or if you did, your team wasn’t very good, was it?

The ONLY thing that should matter is wins & losses. The fact that this sport needs a committee to force-feed a preconceived notion makes it no better than figure skating.

the CFP committee will try their best to get them into the playoffs. We get left out winning the BIG because we lost to Michigan big. But that won't matter with Ohio State.

There was a lot of debate a few weeks back on an 8 team playoff. tOSU getting into the playoffs if it happens is IMO why i don't even like 4 teams. Once in anything can happen and if OSU somehow won this thing with two 20 point+ losses it would be travesty.

The decision is based on the resume at the time not on what happens next. Who says Clemson doesn't destroy Pen State or USC? Ohio State beat 3 TOP TEN TEAMS and had only one loss to a TOP FIVE TEAM. If we beat Pitt we're in but we didn't. If we beat Michigan we're in but we didn't. We had to win one of those games for the conference title/head to head win to matter. You have to understand this--it isn't difficult. My 3 year old gets it.

I get why you think your three year old gets it and it's not why you think. Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wisconsin will have no top 10 wins. Ohio State will have 2 top 10 wins. It isn't the same logic as last year because Wisconsin doesn't have a non-conference win like Ohio State had last year. Only conference winners is the worst idea ever. If Bama falls to Auburn this week they should still be in...there's no doubt they're a top 4 team even with 1 losses. The playoffs aren't hard to figure out. People keep talking about Penn State-Ohio State as though that was even the debate last year. That debate only existed here (for the most part) everyone else debated the two 2-loss team--Washington & Penn State. The Big Ten should have had two teams last year. We should have been #4
Washington had one loss last year, not two. There would have been no debate if they had two. Are you going to berate yourself now for making a mistake?

There was a lot of debate a few weeks back on an 8 team playoff. tOSU getting into the playoffs if it happens is IMO why i don't even like 4 teams. Once in anything can happen and if OSU somehow won this thing with two 20 point+ losses it would be travesty.
IF it is an 8 team playoff and IF that playoff consists of 6 conference champions plus 2 wild cards and IF tosu wins the b1g then I have no problem with their inclusion even with 2 blowout losses.

As things stand right now, they shouldn’t even be an option. Their shot should’ve died immediately following the Iowa game.

Unsurprisingly you got it wrong. You're listing criteria ONCE teams are determined to be "comparable". Penn State and Ohio State weren't deemed comparable last year due to record. If you can read click on the link http://www.collegefootballplayoff.c...0//CFP_Selection_Committee_Protocol.pdf?id=23
Werent deemed comparable? Lol! Dont go by our judgment, go by what happened...OSU got beat like baby seals. 31 zip, the WORST LOSS in Myers coaching career. They. Quit. In. The. Playoffs. Seems the team which was not comparable to the playoff squads OR any team in their coach's career was OSU.

Reactions: step.eng69
Look every year depending on the team is what makes the criteria. If the roles were reversed last year osu would have still got into the playoff. There is no question. They are at 9 now and ESPN boneheads are talking that they can get in which is ridiculous and zero chance of happening.

We had 2 losses last year--Ohio State had one loss...why do people ignore that?

We'd both have 2 this year, they'd have one more win and a head to head win. Plus a win over a top 10 Wisconsin giving them 2 top 10 wins compared to us having zero this year.

Comparing last year to this year doesn't make sense because literally nothing is the same.

The committee isn't "trying" to get Ohio State in. If Alabama, Miami, Oklahoma and Ohio State win out those are the four playoff teams--it isn't even a debate

Why do people continue to discount the Pac12? Which is more embarrassing, a 49-14 loss or a 55-24 loss? Not to mention the QB play, that most critical position, is so much better in the Pac12 than the B1G. They've got six QBs in the top 25 statistically to the B1G's three. Heck, the much-ballyhooed J.T. Barrett isn't even in the top 25. So back to the question, why not USC instead of Ohio State?

We had 2 losses last year--Ohio State had one loss...why do people ignore that?

We'd both have 2 this year, they'd have one more win and a head to head win. Plus a win over a top 10 Wisconsin giving them 2 top 10 wins compared to us having zero this year.

Comparing last year to this year doesn't make sense because literally nothing is the same.

The committee isn't "trying" to get Ohio State in. If Alabama, Miami, Oklahoma and Ohio State win out those are the four playoff teams--it isn't even a debate
And this year OSU has two losses and Wiscy will have one, so by your argument Wiscy should get in (or Miami if they lose).

Please provide a link showing what you keep claiming which is the committee never discussed PSU vs OSU because that's all I heard even from the head of the committee when interviewed on ESPN radio. Every discussion on any sports network last year was discussing that OSU had one loss and PSU had two and PSU got blown out by UM.

I’m giving you likes because I agree, not because I actually like the result. Totally different seasons and fields of candidates for the 4 spots. Last year was an issue of WHETHER to consider a 2-loss team, this year may be WHICH 2-loss team, or whether wisky belongs despite beating nobody good then losing to OSU when it mattered. So many maybes it’s not worth the arguments now.

But 78sweetrevenge (wherever the heck that handle came from) is right. Sucks that OSU may benefit twice using similar arguments to get in as failed us last year, but it’s not the same season or situation. Here’s hoping wisky gets in, or the B1G gets the CFP shaft.

Respectfully, I do not concur with your assessment regarding WHICH 2-loss team gets in. Should Auburn win out they're in and Ohio is out. Then the novelty is two teams from the same conference: Clemson or Miami, OU, Auburn and Bama. It will be hard to argue against that lineup.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
ADVERTISEMENT