ADVERTISEMENT

I think I see an improvement in Nolf's game...

I still see the same. He literally plays with his food before he eats. He literally offers a leg politely so someone will take it and he can work on pinning from that position. This is normal in practice. Unheard of under the lights when it counts. Easily one of the most dominant college wrestlers we’ll ever see.

Hodge Trophy:

1. Record 2. Number of pins 3. Dominance 4. Past credentials 5. Quality of competition 6. Sportsmanship/citizenship 7. Heart

4 of 5 aint bad :)

lots of folks want to debate greatness by who they had to beat (an argument used against Zain). Nolf is in the same boat. I think the opposite argument can be made - who was really good enough to make all others run? So, the level of competition simply isn't there and all know it... At least Sorenson didn't run!

lots of folks want to debate greatness by who they had to beat (an argument used against Zain). Nolf is in the same boat. I think the opposite argument can be made - who was really good enough to make all others run? So, the level of competition simply isn't there and all know it... At least Sorenson didn't run!
Both of them made Ohio State run. First the Avoid Zain Wrestle-Off, now the Avoid Jason Wrestle-Off.

Yes, last year it was made against Zain and this year it will be made against Nolf and Spencer Lee.

Reactions: RS54
Where was he going? 157 initially was Martinez then Nolf. I guess he could have tried cutting to 141. Can you imagine Sorenson and Heil wrestling? If they had started 3 years ago and wrestled to first offensive point scored wins, they might still be wrestling.

I totally agree.

I watched him warm up before the Keystone finals, and the friggin guy was levitating. For more than a minute I tell you, there was 6" of air beneath his body while he just hovered there in space. He slowly decended, whipped his arms around, crooked his neck the way he does, and then winked at me and smiled as he went out to the matt. I was recording the whole thing on my phone and was going to post it here but as soon as I got the stop record button it went into a factory reset. Very strange.

I never did see the match, the next thing I remember was waking up Monday in a corn field in the middle of a crop circle. Everything else was normal except, my shoes were on the wrong feet, and I was wearing lady's thong underware backwards. I didn't want to say anything but was hoping one of you might have had a similar experience.

I was hoping this whole experience would have instilled some new ninja wrestling powers into my being. I raced home and faced my wife in a Nolf like neutral stance, eagerly awaiting the transformation and for my new skills to kick in. Nothing. She kicked my ass as usual, not even close. She caught me in an irreversible wedlock, impossible to escape.

... the friggin guy was levitating. For more than a minute I tell you, there was 6" of air beneath his body while he just hovered there in space ...
Did he hover in the air in much the same way that bricks don’t? I think I read about that kind of thing once ... :)

Reactions: dbldoofus
I totally agree.

I watched him warm up before the Keystone finals, and the friggin guy was levitating. For more than a minute I tell you, there was 6" of air beneath his body while he just hovered there in space. He slowly decended, whipped his arms around, crooked his neck the way he does, and then winked at me and smiled as he went out to the matt. I was recording the whole thing on my phone and was going to post it here but as soon as I got the stop record button it went into a factory reset. Very strange.

I never did see the match, the next thing I remember was waking up Monday in a corn field in the middle of a crop circle. Everything else was normal except, my shoes were on the wrong feet, and I was wearing lady's thong underware backwards. I didn't want to say anything but was hoping one of you might have had a similar experience.

I was hoping this whole experience would have instilled some new ninja wrestling powers into my being. I raced home and faced my wife in a Nolf like neutral stance, eagerly awaiting the transformation and for my new skills to kick in. Nothing. She kicked my ass as usual, not even close. She caught me in an irreversible wedlock, impossible to escape.

You definitely would make my party list.

Reactions: dwkeller
I totally agree.

I heard she was beating Nico in the room, too.

Reactions: Budapest18
I totally agree.

it could be a british thing but i think you spelled underware wrong

What I laugh about Nolf is his appearance.
Almost every guy he wrestles appears to be more jacked then he is. He almost looks like the kid willing to shovel the neighborhood sidewalks instead of one of the greatest college wrestlers we have ever witnessed.
His unigue ability to counter and create offense from almost any position is truly amazing. Some of that ability might be related to how flexible he is and his opponents can't create any leverage against him. Remember last year when he got hurt, his knee was bent in a position that any other wrestler would have turned to the mat because of the pressure being put on the joint. He seems to understand how to torque his body in creating some of his moves better than any wrestler I have witnessed.
Let's enjoy one more year of something very special.

What I laugh about Nolf is his appearance.
Almost every guy he wrestles appears to be more jacked then he is. He almost looks like the kid willing to shovel the neighborhood sidewalks instead of one of the greatest college wrestlers we have ever witnessed.
His unigue ability to counter and create offense from almost any position is truly amazing. Some of that ability might be related to how flexible he is and his opponents can't create any leverage against him. Remember last year when he got hurt, his knee was bent in a position that any other wrestler would have turned to the mat because of the pressure being put on the joint. He seems to understand how to torque his body in creating some of his moves better than any wrestler I have witnessed.
Let's enjoy one more year of something very special.
What I most like about Nolf are his "ankle picks". He makes them look so easy... effortless. One minute you are standing and a second later on your back.

Reactions: diggerpup
Hodge Trophy:
1. Record 2. Number of pins 3. Dominance 4. Past credentials 5. Quality of competition 6. Sportsmanship/citizenship 7. Heart

4 of 5 aint bad :)
How about 5 of 5? He already has 4 pins in 5 bouts this year...and an MD. :rolleyes:
Ptomaselli, I think pointingdogs is talking about the same 4 of 5 as you—4 pins out of 5 bouts ain’t bad.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
Poor Nickal,
I believe, over time, Nickal will prove that he deserved more love from this board.
Nolf has him in Bonus % and one less loss, but I don't think that tells the whole story.
Nolf is 107-4 with 84% bonus
Nickal is 109-5 with 68% bonus

Nickal:
Gabe Dean (155-7) Three of his losses are PSU, losing twice to Ruth.
Myles Martin (97-18) That pin in the finals last year was one of the best moments I have ever witnessed as a fan.
Sammy Brooks (100-25) As far as I can remember he wrestled Brooks two times, and spent 1:40 on the mat.
In 2017 he had two :38 second falls, and they were no chumps. Sammy Brooks and Nolan Boyd
So far Nickal has 43 Falls with an average time of 1:40 sec
He has pinned his opponents in less than a minute several times:
2019- :37
2018- :11, :50, :56, :42, :53, :38, :48, :26
2017- :38, :38

As a true freshman he wrestled #1 Matt Brown to a score of 10-7

Bottom line is I'm kidding around, I just think it's fun to debate over which Lamborghini is the nicest.

Poor Nickal,
I believe, over time, Nickal will prove that he deserved more love from this board.
Nolf has him in Bonus % and one less loss, but I don't think that tells the whole story.

Nickal:
Myles Martin (97-18) That pin in the finals last year was one of the best moments I have ever witnessed as a fan.
Sammy Brooks (100-25) As far as I can remember he wrestled Brooks two times, and spent 1:40 on the mat.
In 2017 he had two :38 second falls, and they were no chumps. Sammy Brooks and Nolan Boyd

Bottom line is I'm kidding around, I just think it's fun to debate over which Lamborghini is the nicest.
No love lost here. Bo is my favorite and the most exciting.... unless Rasheed keeps cradle run :)

Poor Nickal,

Nickal:

Not sure you intended to do it or not...you included their RS year. Both have 3 losses, officially, and could end with the same career number as DT, Ed Ruth, and Zain Retherford.

Reactions: liex26
Yeah, it was sloppy work.

I included the close match with Nickal and Brown so I just used the overall record from Wrestlestat.com
That way the individuals he beat also included their RS year if they had one.

Really, it was laziness.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
No doubt, the master should get his due. There is a certain ferocity with Jason's version though that can take your breath away. No disrespect to Cael--but in general, I'd call Jason's ferociousness his personal special sauce.
Has Jason made anyone quit wrestling, yet? It’d be cool if he has. :)

Reactions: danoftw
No doubt, the master should get his due. There is a certain ferocity with Jason's version though that can take your breath away. No disrespect to Cael--but in general, I'd call Jason's ferociousness his personal special sauce.
I haven't seen Nolf really wrestle enough to know, but, yeah, Sanderson was just plain crazy slick with his ankle pick.

The thing that's always gotten me about the ankle pick too is that it's almost 100% indefensible. It takes longer, lanky arms, but why it isn't used more has always amazed me.

Reactions: diggerpup
You can see a little bit of Cael in each of his students. The amazing thing is, that under his tutelage, along with the rest of the staff, the students seem even slightly slicker than the teacher, if that is even possible.

Last edited:
The thing that's always gotten me about the ankle pick too is that it's almost 100% indefensible. It takes longer, lanky arms, but why it isn't used more has always amazed me.
I agree. The great thing is that if you attempt it and miss, you back right out and try again. If you're quick enough, there is rarely a counter shot, because the defense, initially, is backwards movement.

Thx a lot Goggles. I will now forever think of you when I watch this scene:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT