ADVERTISEMENT

I Really Miss Sean Spencer

mrmk5110

Jan 4, 2018
Our DTs would never get run over and just overall bullied by a team like Illinois when he was the DL coach.

I've thought John Scott had been doing well, but man they are exposed badly when PJ can't play. This shouldn't be happening to a DL full of guys as highly rated/recruited as these guys are.

Our DTs would never get run over and just overall bullied by a team like Illinois when he was the DL coach.

I've thought John Scott had been doing well, but man they are exposed badly when PJ can't play. This shouldn't be happening to a DL full of guys as highly rated/recruited as these guys are.
Wasn’t he the d-line coach during the Temple loss?

When you are getting physically run over the issues are more deep seated than just the dline coach.

Look, we took a beating today in the run game. I'm putting that on Brent Pry who is usually pretty good at game planning. Despite that, Coach Scott has done a remarkable job with Arnold Ebikete, Jesse Luketa, Nick Tarburton and PJ Mustipher. I wasn't sure last year but now I see why CJF plucked him away from USCe. Looking forward to seeing what he can do with our younger guys and Dani Dennis-Sutton.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, this message stands regardless of the outcome of the game next week.

This board post games

this-is-an-outrage-mad.gif

Look, we took a beating today in the run game. I'm putting that on Brent Pry who is usually pretty good at game planning. Despite that, Coach Scott has done a remarkable job with Arnold Ebikete, Jesse Luketa, Nick Tarburton and PJ Mustipher. I wasn't sure last year but now I see why CJF plucked him away from USCe. Looking forward to seeing what he can do with our younger guys and Dani Dennis-Sutton.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, this message stands regardless of the outcome of the game next week.
Illinois lined up 7 OL and two tight ends. We countered, the entire game, the a cover two. That is four down lineman and three linebackers. 9 on 7. PJ would have helped but not that much. You aren’t going to beat nine with seven #outcoached.

Spence was a good DL Coach, but what I saw was his biggest asset was his pregame speeches. Old James with his "I appreciate you" just doesn't raise the roof.

Hopefully Pry will install a few packages this week with 5 DL to counter. You know other teams will try to exploit the weakness. Being this thin on the DL due to injury does not help things either

Hopefully Pry will install a few packages this week with 5 DL to counter. You know other teams will try to exploit the weakness. Being this thin on the DL due to injury does not help things either
The feild goal block unit would've been worth a shot.

Honestly I don't think PJ makes that big of a difference on Saturday. The scheme was not a good one for the jumbo package that Illinois was running. Guys were not sticking to gap assignments. They were having a hard time setting the edge, linebackers not filling the gaps and missed tackles. I love guys flying around and being aggressive but when your constantly over running plays and whiffing you got to fix that. I think some of the guys, Brandon Smith, want to always have that big hit but more often then not miss those and end up not making plays that they otherwise should. Football is constantly a game of reading formations and movements and then reacting. Great athletes see the formation, read thier cues then attack with control.

Illinois only scored 10 points in regulation and Penn State still lost…and your concern is the defense? Wow.

If we are being fair and more importantly honest with ourselves, Illinois beat us in regulation. They had 2 touchdowns called back on penalties and neither really appeared to be valid penalties. Especially the play action called we were sucked in on and they called called for a lineman down field. It appeared the pass was completed behind the LOS which would negate that call.

Reality is we would have been down 4 and weren’t going to drive the field. Game over 14-10

Reactions: manilion

I hated what I saw this weekend, but I don't put that directly on Scott alone. I don't think Spencer would have worked some miracle there unless he maybe had Pry's ear and could have made a better adjustment somehow and that would be just a wild guess. It's also a mash unit out there.

Illinois only scored 10 points in regulation and Penn State still lost…and your concern is the defense? Wow.
It's not the score, but if you watched the actual game....it was the a$$ beating Ill put on PSU on the ground that has raised a few eyebrows. I think most of us have tossed in the towel when it comes to the offense after lowa and then Illinois....so seeing the D get kicked around like that was hard to swallow. The schedule isn't getting easier and we aren't getting healthier there anytime soon. I think we were all hopeful the 3rd OC in 3 years would fix the ground game or somehow make the O better....but it's still not there. Outside of Auburn where the TE's actually made plays and he mixed it up a bit....it's been much of the same. TFL's and punts.

Last edited:
If we are being fair and more importantly honest with ourselves, Illinois beat us in regulation. They had 2 touchdowns called back on penalties and neither really appeared to be valid penalties. Especially the play action called we were sucked in on and they called called for a lineman down field. It appeared the pass was completed behind the LOS which would negate that call.

Reality is we would have been down 4 and weren’t going to drive the field. Game over 14-10
We had a defensive TD called back and a blatant late hit missed that would have likely netted us 3 points. Horrendous game in which we were dominated on the lines, but if anything, with better officiating, we may have snuck out of there with a win.

I miss Larry Johnson Sr and the fact that the BOT brain trust didn't recognize what a great football coach he was/is....PSU Football Inc would be very different today if the BOT had only done the right thing at the right time. Go back and study his HS coaching accomplishments as evidence.

Joe didn't generally hire losers....LJ Sr could have run the whole show very effectively.

Had the BOT not napalmed the program, there would have been continuity of PSU football traditions, techniques, certain personnel and sustained Success with Honor.

It's somewhat nauseating when you think about how a group of dimwitted lemmings, sitting together in a room, could ruin a successful academic and athletic franchise.

Last edited:
Reactions: dailybuck777
It's not the score, but if you watched the actual game....it was the a$$ beating Ill put on PSU on the ground that has raised a few eyebrows. I think most of us have tossed in the towel when it comes to the offense after lowa and then Illinois....so seeing the D get kicked around like that was hard to swallow. The schedule isn't getting easier and we aren't getting healthier there anytime soon. I think we were all hopeful the 3rd OC in 3 years would fix the ground game or somehow make the O better....but it's still not there. Outside of Auburn where the TE's actually made plays and he mixed it up a bit....it's been much of the same. TFL's and punts.
Ok, glad to see you actually agree with me. The D had their issues on Saturday but they still held them to 10 points in regulation while playing without their best DL. They have bailed out the offense time and time again, so I can give them a pass. The fact PSU can not run the ball is the bigger issue and possibly the only issue.

Ok, glad to see you actually agree with me. The D had their issues on Saturday but they still held them to 10 points in regulation while playing without their best DL. They have bailed out the offense time and time again, so I can give them a pass. The fact PSU can not run the ball is the bigger issue and possibly the only issue.
Nobody is giving the offense a free pass. They are the main problem and have been. It just sucked seeing the defense get trucked like that.

Let's hear about your Eagles and Phillies. How are those coaches?
Jury’s still out. Both teams are not made up of players better then the teams they are playing. Girardi has been average to above average, not much you can do with the bullpen and overpriced older players. Siri has to deal with Howie and his lousy drafting. Can anyone name a LB on the eagles that should be starting in the NFL. Overpriced DL that is garbage. The Oline has been decent but Siri refuses to run the ball. Need I go on. One more thing Hurts is not the answer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT