ADVERTISEMENT

I miss Joepa......

I read Bo respected Joe because Joe didn't cheat and did things the right way.

Which is why Jim Harbaugh called out his alma mater when it hired Rich Rodriguez. He knew it wasn't being run the way Bo ran it. The right way, academically.

Just a feeling. Not here to bash Franklin or O'Brien. Not here to complain about the mother f#ckin BOT, Not here to provide answers to what is wrong or right about the current program. Just saying over four years later it is still surreal to me what happened. I miss the "comfort" of stability. No matter what happens going forward, it will never be the PSU I was so incredibly lucky to grow up with and be part of. We may have (and hopefully so), many years of great success, but for me, it will always be a little different, or less "special". I miss the old man.
Me too!!!!!

Reactions: Doc-M
One of the dumber things posted on this board in some time (excluding posts made during or immediately after a game).

FROM THIS ARTICLE:

"
When Rip Engle — Paterno’s predecessor and former college coach at Brown — took over in 1950, he and the coaching staff placed an emphasis on recruiting and starting black players. By 1953, Penn State had four black players in the starting lineup: Rosie Grier, Jesse Arnelle, Lenny Moore, and Charlie Blockson."

Any other gems of misinformation you'd like to share with us?

I should have said Engle didn't recruit very many black players. The year before Paterno took over,
there was only one black player on the entire roster and I think he was a walk on. The makeup of PSU's
roster changed dramatically after Paterno became coach.

We were not an NC contending team in 2012. You are off your rocker Jerry. You keep saying this again and again. Nice team with senior leadership and a coach that was able to dissect defenses with a senior QB who flourished under him (and, coincidentally floundered under the previous regime). That's it. They would have gotten pummeled by Bama.

We lost one game under Joe in 2011 and that was to Bama. Bama won handily, but think back. Bolden had a great game considering that our TE's couldn't catch and our WR's dropped balls and ran poor routes. We needed Green in that game just to yell at the WR's and get their heads in the game, but Joe wouldn't play him because Green bought some beer for under aged teammates. However, our biggest problem was our OL was green and the defenders were in Bolden's face all game. Still football is a game of momentum and we had the chance to draw first blood, but out FG did not play the first half and our rookie FG kicker missed I think the first two chances. Our FG kicker did not play, because he was late to some classes. This also hurt us when we had to punt and the punts were 10-15 yard shorter than normal. Again you can blame Joe for choosing to go with what is right rather than losing the game. If you also remember, what really changed the game was when Bama failed on a fake 4th down punt, BUT the refs gave them an extra 3 yards or so.

What did we learn? Joe had recruited 2 TE's who could catch and our OL became experienced. McGloin had a lot more time in the pocket and looked like a star. O'Brien sucked the first 2 games and we never should have lost either one. We should have also beat Nebraska and OSU and thus we would have been in the NC game. We had our Heisman candidate and FG/P transfer out, along with a good WR, LB and a few others. We also lost some top recruits who had committed and then went elsewhere.

Go look it up yourself and see that I am right.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Just a feeling. Not here to bash Franklin or O'Brien. Not here to complain about the mother f#ckin BOT, Not here to provide answers to what is wrong or right about the current program. Just saying over four years later it is still surreal to me what happened. I miss the "comfort" of stability. No matter what happens going forward, it will never be the PSU I was so incredibly lucky to grow up with and be part of. We may have (and hopefully so), many years of great success, but for me, it will always be a little different, or less "special". I miss the old man.

I miss the man everyday more and more.

The JoePa haters are in for a very rude awakening. They are going to find out that winning games is a lot harder than they thought. It's a shame that they had to do so much damage to Penn State just to learn that simple lesson.

Reactions: Doc-M and 91Joe95
You have most of it right. The only problem with Rip was that he didn't recruit black players. When Paterno became the head coach he brought in
black players that contributed to PSU's success much like Bryant did at Alabama.

There is a difference between reminiscing and obsessing. Paterno has been dead and gone for almost four years but there are threads about him on this
board almost every day. Every little change or suggestion of a change to the uniform brings out a hue and cry from those that talk about what Joe would want.
I think it is nutty stuff but you guys can keep on "reminiscing".

Amen on that.

I wonder if whatever people who sourced that ridiculous 2013 Sports Illustrated article miss O'Brien.

O'Brien's departure from State College started with that article, and if we're going to blame people for yesterday's result, I will blame the Benedict Arnolds among the Penn State fanbase who leaked that "story."
O'Brien tried to leave after his first year. Good riddance. He never wanted to be here in the first place. He was being replaced as OC at NE and tried to parlay NE's Super Bowl appearance into a better NFL job. Since folks don't like to wait, he had no offers. In came Jaws whispering in Ira's ear and bingo, BOB. He never, ever, thought about making PSU home. Stop the BS.

I miss Joe for always telling us how bad the team will be and then we just win games. All this pre season optimism from Franklin then the awful Temple game is too much a downer to take.

O'Brien tried to leave after his first year. Good riddance. He never wanted to be here in the first place. He was being replaced as OC at NE and tried to parlay NE's Super Bowl appearance into a better NFL job. Since folks don't like to wait, he had no offers. In came Jaws whispering in Ira's ear and bingo, BOB. He never, ever, thought about making PSU home. Stop the BS.

I can play your game too. In fact O'Brien told some close friends after he landed the PSU job that he considered it his last coaching job; assuming he could be successful and Penn State wanted him. Belichick told some close friends in Boston that he was devastated when O'Brien left since he had told him he was the next head coach; which Kraft had confirmed. So it looks like you got some bad information.

There is a difference between reminiscing and obsessing. Paterno has been dead and gone for almost four years but there are threads about him on this
board almost every day. Every little change or suggestion of a change to the uniform brings out a hue and cry from those that talk about what Joe would want.
I think it is nutty stuff but you guys can keep on "reminiscing".

The first post in this thread cited none of that - no talk of uniforms or what Joe would want at all. That leads me to believe perhaps reading is the issue, which is supported by the fact that I see michnitwit liked your post. (I put him on ignore long ago.)

I can play your game too. In fact O'Brien told some close friends after he landed the PSU job that he considered it his last coaching job; assuming he could be successful and Penn State wanted him. Belichick told some close friends in Boston that he was devastated when O'Brien left since he had told him he was the next head coach; which Kraft had confirmed. So it looks like you got some bad information.
In fact O'Brien was without a contract and Josh Mcdaniels was replacing him his OC. I'm amazed that you know close friends of Belichick, Kraft and OB.....good for you.

In fact O'Brien was without a contract and Josh Mcdaniels was replacing him his OC. I'm amazed that you know close friends of Belichick, Kraft and OB.....good for you.

Don't stretch your neck watching that one go over your head.

I don't know anyone in the Patriot organization or their friends; I just made that up which is your MO from reading your posts.

This^^^^^

Don't stretch your neck watching that one go over your head.

I don't know anyone in the Patriot organization or their friends; I just made that up which is your MO from reading your posts.
Its apparent sarcasm goes over yours.

For what it is worth, I saw an interview that Bo Schembechler did with JoePa from I believe the 97 or 98 game's week leading up to kick off. It appeared Bo really liked Joe.

You guys always complain about Bo raising objections over the PSU entrance into the B1G, but you always leave out that Joe got to set his schedule, and it was always a bye week before playing the Wolverines. As I heard it related to Bo, that if you gave Joe an extra week to prepare, the PSU defense was going to smother ya. He had the utmost respect for Joe's ability, and his job as AD was to make sure we weren't put in a bad spot.

Bo loved Michigan like Joe loved PSU. He would fight anything he felt was a negative to the school/program, including putting away a couple would be agents preying on players. His testimony in court went unchallenged. I would think you guys would understand & appreciate that.
Good post but, the part bolded is BS. Joe didn't "set the schedule", the conference did. And that occurred in the first year or two of conference membership. There were times Michigan had an open date before playing Penn State. Yeah I'm sure given the way Penn State was treated upon entrance into this hellhole, Joe could set his own schedule. Heck, they had to wait nearly four years before they could even begin conference play. Sorry, that BS just doesn't line up.

Yeah, sure he was. Rip was coach of a regional power, one that got clocked regularly, when playing outside its comfort zone. Joe built a NATIONAL power by playing those teams and beating their asses, while smashing the regional teams into submission.

I wish Bill had stayed. My sense is he would have fixed the defense, while advancing a very entertaining and efficient offense. All things being equal, if Joe had just retired and Bill have been hired, he'd still be here. He would have just upgraded the offense, perhaps kept that defensive staff and we'd all be very happy now. THAT IS MY OPINION. You are certainly entitled to a different view.

So, PSU under Rip was only a "regional power," huh? Then you consider the big bad Buckeyes as an Eastern school? Penn State defeated Ohio State in 1956, 1963, and 1964 (when the buckeyes were ranked #2 until a 27-0 stomping by the Lions) -- all 3 games in Columbus, OH. In fact, Rip never lost to Woody Hayes.

Rip also had wins vs Nebraska, Illinois, TCU, NC State, Oregon, UCLA, AFA, Missouri, Rice, and Virginia. Were any of these "Eastern" schools? I could mention bowl wins over Alabama and Georgia Tech, too ... but I think you get the idea that Rip didn't simply feast on Eastewrn schools. That is a bogus criticism I have heard about Penn State since 1968.

Good post but, the part bolded is BS. Joe didn't "set the schedule", the conference did. And that occurred in the first year or two of conference membership. There were times Michigan had an open date before playing Penn State. Yeah I'm sure given the way Penn State was treated upon entrance into this hellhole, Joe could set his own schedule. Heck, they had to wait nearly four years before they could even begin conference play. Sorry, that BS just doesn't line up.
Agree. We got screwed on scheduling many times so if Joe set it he did a piss poor job. In 2005 and 2008, for example, we played Michigan and Ohio State back to back and there was no open date before them in either year.

Agree. We got screwed on scheduling many times so if Joe set it he did a piss poor job. In 2005 and 2008, for example, we played Michigan and Ohio State back to back and there was no open date before them in either year.

Good point. Somebody on 1 of these boards listed the conference teams that were scheduled to play the 2 Darlings back-to-back since 1993. Penn State was the winner, even before we see the schedules for 2016 and 2017. While it is true that one has to play them eventually, getting them in consecutive games is tougher than spreading them out. We did draw both schools in 1993 and 94, as well.

Good point. Somebody on 1 of these boards listed the conference teams that were scheduled to play the 2 Darlings back-to-back since 1993. Penn State was the winner, even before we see the schedules for 2016 and 2017. While it is true that one has to play them eventually, getting them in consecutive games is tougher than spreading them out. We did draw both schools in 1993 and 94, as well.

Here is a fact check:

Penn State has played Michigan & OSU back-to-back without a bye week two times. 2005 & 2008.

Michigan has played Penn State & OSU back-to-back without a bye week FIVE times. 1995, 1996, 1999, 2000 and now 2015.

Oh yeah, the two times that happened for us: we won the B1G in 100% of those years!!!! Are we really complaining about that "scheduling disadvantage"?!?!?!?!

Here is a fact check:

Penn State has played Michigan & OSU back-to-back without a bye week two times. 2005 & 2008.

Michigan has played Penn State & OSU back-to-back without a bye week FIVE times. 1995, 1996, 1999, 2000 and now 2015.

Oh yeah, the two times that happened for us: we won the B1G in 100% of those years!!!! Are we really complaining about that "scheduling disadvantage"?!?!?!?!

It is always rose colored glasses around here with some of the posters MichNit. The world, or more to the point, the B1G, is out to get PSU.

PSU had a bye week before the Michigan game in 93/94/95/96. To the poster running their yap at me, you need to know facts before throwing the blathering rage my way. Bo raised Hell over it. He should of. Once they lost the bye week dis- advantange, Michigan wouldn't lose again to PSU for over a decade. The bye weeks werent random, as it was set up the way Joe wanted it.

Some of you really need to grow a pair. You have had breaks as well, but fail to recognize them.

Reactions: Joe Pa Thetic
It is always rose colored glasses around here with some of the posters MichNit. The world, or more to the point, the B1G, is out to get PSU.

PSU had a bye week before the Michigan game in 93/94/95/96. To the poster running their yap at me, you need to know facts before throwing the blathering rage my way. Bo raised Hell over it. He should of. Once they lost the bye week dis- advantange, Michigan wouldn't lose again to PSU for over a decade. The bye weeks werent random, as it was set up the way Joe wanted it.

Some of you really need to grow a pair. You have had breaks as well, but fail to recognize them.

Let's also be clear though on two things:

(1) Penn State would have defeated U-M in all of 1994, 1995 and 1996 anyway. Penn State was a better team in all 3 years, "bye week dis-advantage" or not. Then U-M became better than Penn State in the 1997-mid-2000s era. There may be a correlation with the bye-week, but correlation does NOT imply causation.

(2) The B1G has made the effort over the years to equal out the bye weeks --- in terms of Michigan having them before the Penn State game. In all of 2001, 2002, 2008, and 2009 the B1G originally scheduled U-M to have a bye before PSU: it only actually happened once (2002), but that was because of circumstances beyond anyone's control. (2001: a schedule re-shuffle due to 9/11, 2008/2009: the NCAA going to 12-game schedules after the B1G had already released the conference schedules).

Please do show us your evidence that Joe dictated the scheduling. No hollow speculation on your part, something empirical. Not just that Bo was enraged. We'll be waiting (no doubt forever). Seems you're the one just throwing garbage out there. If this is all you have to contribute, kindly go back to your own board and take your lackey with you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marshall30
So, PSU under Rip was only a "regional power," huh? Then you consider the big bad Buckeyes as an Eastern school? Penn State defeated Ohio State in 1956, 1963, and 1964 (when the buckeyes were ranked #2 until a 27-0 stomping by the Lions) -- all 3 games in Columbus, OH. In fact, Rip never lost to Woody Hayes.

Rip also had wins vs Nebraska, Illinois, TCU, NC State, Oregon, UCLA, AFA, Missouri, Rice, and Virginia. Were any of these "Eastern" schools? I could mention bowl wins over Alabama and Georgia Tech, too ... but I think you get the idea that Rip didn't simply feast on Eastewrn schools. That is a bogus criticism I have heard about Penn State since 1968.
How many bowl games not held in Philadelphia (the two bowl games in Municipal Stadium drew a total of 52,000 while 200,000 tickets were available), did Rip take the Lions? Answer is 2, both the Gator Bowl. No Cotton, Sugar, Orange or even Bluebonnet Bowls for Rip. Joe had to over come the bias against eastern football for a long, long time. It wasn't a fairy tale, it was real. If Rip had the program on a national power level, it wouldn't have been a question for Joe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT