ADVERTISEMENT

I miss Joepa......

nittanilyon man1

Sep 12, 2006
Just a feeling. Not here to bash Franklin or O'Brien. Not here to complain about the mother f#ckin BOT, Not here to provide answers to what is wrong or right about the current program. Just saying over four years later it is still surreal to me what happened. I miss the "comfort" of stability. No matter what happens going forward, it will never be the PSU I was so incredibly lucky to grow up with and be part of. We may have (and hopefully so), many years of great success, but for me, it will always be a little different, or less "special". I miss the old man.

Just a feeling. Not here to bash Franklin or O'Brien. Not here to complain about the mother f#ckin BOT, Not here to provide answers to what is wrong or right about the current program. Just saying over four years later it is still surreal to me what happened. I miss the "comfort" of stability. No matter what happens going forward, it will never be the PSU I was so incredibly lucky to grow up with and be part of. We may have (and hopefully so), many years of great success, but for me, it will always be a little different, or less "special". I miss the old man.
I miss him too, but I knew, if I lived long enough, I would see someone take his place. What bothers me, and so many of us, is our BOT rushing to judgment and throwing Joe out. I just talked to a guy last week from IUP and he said what I have heard many, many times. "If Paterno didn't cover up, why did your Board of Trustees fire him so quickly?" Right now we should be basking in the glow of golden memories from the Paterno years, while at the same time enjoying the ups and downs of a new coaching staff. Peetz, Suhey, Joyner, Myers, Deviney, Riley, Surma, and all their cronies, have made that impossible.

You and about 100 other people on this board that are living in the past.

Reactions: Joe Pa Thetic
You and about 100 other people on this board that are living in the past.
I see nothing wrong with fondly remembering past events. We nearly all do it. We remember our high school days, college years, past vacations, family members who have passed. I doubt the OP is going around thinking about the Paterno years all day, but this is a Penn State football board and, like it or not, no one is, or ever will be, more a part of Penn State football than Joe Paterno. I would suggest tens of thousands of Penn State fans thought of Joe at some point yesterday and I would bet the same was true at Alabama with the Bear.

I miss him too, but I knew, if I lived long enough, I would see someone take his place. What bothers me, and so many of us, is our BOT rushing to judgment and throwing Joe out. I just talked to a guy last week from IUP and he said what I have heard many, many times. "If Paterno didn't cover up, why did your Board of Trustees fire him so quickly?" Right now we should be basking in the glow of golden memories from the Paterno years, while at the same time enjoying the ups and downs of a new coaching staff. Peetz, Suhey, Joyner, Myers, Deviney, Riley, Surma, and all their cronies, have made that impossible.

The BOT at any University is, de facto, a highly credible entity in the eyes of the public. What the public doesn't understand is that, in this case, members of an informal power group within the PSU Board intentionally abused that trust in an effort to protect themselves from scrutiny to which they, or in some cases immediate family members, would've been subjected had a bona fide, independent investigation been conducted of Sandusky-related activities at the Second Mile. To save themselves, they had to make the Sandusky debacle a "football problem" at all costs, fiduciary duty be damned, and no doubt the realization that they were likely being teed up for some serious, personal, breach-of-duty pain by Judge Anne Covey contributed in no small part to a sudden willingness to dissolve the consent decree when they, along with the NCAA, were finally faced with the imminent prospect of going into a real courtroom where, unlike with the Freeh Report, such things as subpoena power, sworn testimony and rules of evidence were all going to apply.

Last edited:
O' Brien started the screw up. Joe put together an NC contending team for 2012 and O'Brien's coaching had us lose to lowly Ohio and then lowly Virginia.

You CDWW and others don't want to find out the truth of the Move On Scandal and you created the Joe Pa curse.

O'Brien was really a superb coach and Penn State was lucky to have him. Franklin and his assistants are great recruiters but not very good coaches. JoePa was overrated. When I was at State, Rip Engle was the head coach and was every bit as good as Joe.

O' Brien started the screw up. Joe put together an NC contending team for 2012 and O'Brien's coaching had us lose to lowly Ohio and then lowly Virginia.

You CDWW and others don't want to find out the truth of the Move On Scandal and you created the Joe Pa curse.
We were not an NC contending team in 2012. You are off your rocker Jerry. You keep saying this again and again. Nice team with senior leadership and a coach that was able to dissect defenses with a senior QB who flourished under him (and, coincidentally floundered under the previous regime). That's it. They would have gotten pummeled by Bama.

O'Brien was really a superb coach and Penn State was lucky to have him. Franklin and his assistants are great recruiters but not very good coaches. JoePa was overrated. When I was at State, Rip Engle was the head coach and was every bit as good as Joe.
That is absurd. In 16 years, Rip never got us to a bigger bowl than the Gator, never had an unbeaten team, and never got us ranked higher than 9th. In his first 4 years, Joe got us to the Orange Bowl twice, had 2 unbeaten seasons, and two #2 rankings. In his 16 years Rip achieved 1 top 10 ranking and got us to 4 bowls. In Joe's first 16 years Joe got us 12 top 10 rankings and took us to 14 bowls. I could go on, but what would be the point? Rip was a good coach. Joe was a great one. Rip was a memorable coach. Joe was a legendary one.

Last edited:
As time goes on, we will appreciate more and more the coaching excellence of Joseph Vincent Paterno.

Reactions: Doc-M

JoePa was overrated? You're an idiot.

Reactions: simons96 and Doc-M

Ridiculous to call the 2012 a contending team.
Without the distractions it would have done better though.

So you've never reminisced about anything in the past? What a sad life that would be.

There is a difference between reminiscing and obsessing. Paterno has been dead and gone for almost four years but there are threads about him on this
board almost every day. Every little change or suggestion of a change to the uniform brings out a hue and cry from those that talk about what Joe would want.
I think it is nutty stuff but you guys can keep on "reminiscing".

You have most of it right. The only problem with Rip was that he didn't recruit black players. When Paterno became the head coach he brought in
black players that contributed to PSU's success much like Bryant did at Alabama.

I miss Bill O'Brien.

Amen on that.

I wonder if whatever people who sourced that ridiculous 2013 Sports Illustrated article miss O'Brien.

O'Brien's departure from State College started with that article, and if we're going to blame people for yesterday's result, I will blame the Benedict Arnolds among the Penn State fanbase who leaked that "story."

There is a difference between reminiscing and obsessing. Paterno has been dead and gone for almost four years but there are threads about him on this
board almost every day. Every little change or suggestion of a change to the uniform brings out a hue and cry from those that talk about what Joe would want.
I think it is nutty stuff but you guys can keep on "reminiscing".
I cannot remember a single post that argued that the names should be off the uniforms because that is what Joe would want and I think I read them all. I personally wanted them removed because I like the return to tradition (which preceded Joe) the team concept, and the uniqueness. As for reminiscing, yes, we will do that, just as they do about the Bear at Alabama, or Bobby at Florida State, or Wooden at UCLA . People remember legends, and they should.

A clown living in the present. I feel sorry for you sad sacks that cry about Joe like he
was your daddy even though most of you never met him. Get a life.
Actually I think most who post here have met him. I know I did, probably a dozen times, at fund raisers, sports banquets, and once, just waking on campus. You clearly have an anti-Paterno bias and that's fine. I have a pro-Paterno bias and I admit it. I also recognize Joe's faults, as do most people I know who also have a fondness for the man. That aside, he was a coaching legend and nothing you can say will change that. As I said in another post, Urban Meyer recognizes Joe as the greatest coach in college football history and he knows the game, and its history, better than anyone here.

You have most of it right. The only problem with Rip was that he didn't recruit black players. When Paterno became the head coach he brought in
black players that contributed to PSU's success much like Bryant did at Alabama.
Great black players like Lenny Moore and Dave Robinson, who played for Rip, would be amused by that statement.

Amen on that.

I wonder if whatever people who sourced that ridiculous 2013 Sports Illustrated article miss O'Brien.

O'Brien's departure from State College started with that article, and if we're going to blame people for yesterday's result, I will blame the Benedict Arnolds among the Penn State fanbase who leaked that "story."

What a crock. O'Brien wanted to be a head coach in the NFL. Penn State was a stepping stone. And Erickson and Joyner certainly didn't give him a reason to stay when they just flat-out lied to him.

Reactions: WeR0206
What a crock. O'Brien wanted to be a head coach in the NFL. Penn State was a stepping stone. And Erickson and Joyner certainly didn't give him a reason to stay when they just flat-out lied to him.

I listened to O'Brien's press conference that day back in May 2013. It was obvious to people paying attention --- he had lost his patience with the people trying to undermine him, and he would be looking for the exit door sooner rather than later.

Don't you wonder who leaked that story? It had to have been somebody. WHO???

And as for Erickson and Joyner lying to O'Brien --- that is complete nonsense. O'Brien knew that the NCAA had sent a letter of inquiry in November 2011. Yet O'Brien still took the job. Nobody "lied" to him.

Reactions: Doc-M
I listened to O'Brien's press conference that day back in May 2013. It was obvious to people paying attention --- he had lost his patience with the people trying to undermine him, and he would be looking for the exit door sooner rather than later.

Don't you wonder who leaked that story? It had to have been somebody. WHO???

And as for Erickson and Joyner lying to O'Brien --- that is complete nonsense. O'Brien knew that the NCAA had sent a letter of inquiry in November 2011. Yet O'Brien still took the job. Nobody "lied" to him.

I heard Joyner leaked it.

One of the dumber things posted on this board in some time (excluding posts made during or immediately after a game).

FROM THIS ARTICLE:

"
When Rip Engle — Paterno’s predecessor and former college coach at Brown — took over in 1950, he and the coaching staff placed an emphasis on recruiting and starting black players. By 1953, Penn State had four black players in the starting lineup: Rosie Grier, Jesse Arnelle, Lenny Moore, and Charlie Blockson."

Any other gems of misinformation you'd like to share with us?

That makes absolutely no sense. It doesn't even make some (1 out of 1,000,000) sense.

Joyner was mad that BOB enforced the players ban him. Joyner was mad that BOB was forcing a new contract down his throat when his original contract covered sanctions. Joyner was mad that BOB was leaking how much he and Joyner didn't get along. Joyner was mad that BOB didn't acknowledge his role in keeping the team together and his general wonderfulness.

Reactions: WeR0206
Actually I think most who post here have met him. I know I did, probably a dozen times, at fund raisers, sports banquets, and once, just waking on campus. You clearly have an anti-Paterno bias and that's fine. I have a pro-Paterno bias and I admit it. I also recognize Joe's faults, as do most people I know who also have a fondness for the man. That aside, he was a coaching legend and nothing you can say will change that. As I said in another post, Urban Meyer recognizes Joe as the greatest coach in college football history and he knows the game, and its history, better than anyone here.

For what it is worth, I saw an interview that Bo Schembechler did with JoePa from I believe the 97 or 98 game's week leading up to kick off. It appeared Bo really liked Joe.

You guys always complain about Bo raising objections over the PSU entrance into the B1G, but you always leave out that Joe got to set his schedule, and it was always a bye week before playing the Wolverines. As I heard it related to Bo, that if you gave Joe an extra week to prepare, the PSU defense was going to smother ya. He had the utmost respect for Joe's ability, and his job as AD was to make sure we weren't put in a bad spot.

Bo loved Michigan like Joe loved PSU. He would fight anything he felt was a negative to the school/program, including putting away a couple would be agents preying on players. His testimony in court went unchallenged. I would think you guys would understand & appreciate that.

Yeah, sure he was. Rip was coach of a regional power, one that got clocked regularly, when playing outside its comfort zone. Joe built a NATIONAL power by playing those teams and beating their asses, while smashing the regional teams into submission.

I wish Bill had stayed. My sense is he would have fixed the defense, while advancing a very entertaining and efficient offense. All things being equal, if Joe had just retired and Bill have been hired, he'd still be here. He would have just upgraded the offense, perhaps kept that defensive staff and we'd all be very happy now. THAT IS MY OPINION. You are certainly entitled to a different view.

O'Brien ran an offense suited to his player's ability. Franklin insists on running an offense for a spread option QB when his QB is a pro style player. Will not work. Hackenberg is playing with one hand tied behind his back. The O line is terrible and the style of offense does not help them.

Reactions: EPC FAN
For what it is worth, I saw an interview that Bo Schembechler did with JoePa from I believe the 97 or 98 game's week leading up to kick off. It appeared Bo really liked Joe.

You guys always complain about Bo raising objections over the PSU entrance into the B1G, but you always leave out that Joe got to set his schedule, and it was always a bye week before playing the Wolverines. As I heard it related to Bo, that if you gave Joe an extra week to prepare, the PSU defense was going to smother ya. He had the utmost respect for Joe's ability, and his job as AD was to make sure we weren't put in a bad spot.

Bo loved Michigan like Joe loved PSU. He would fight anything he felt was a negative to the school/program, including putting away a couple would be agents preying on players. His testimony in court went unchallenged. I would think you guys would understand & appreciate that.

Before Penn State entered the Big Ten, every time Michigan played Ohio State, I rooted for Michigan. Bo was the reason. In that series, he was the young gun going against establishment Woody. When he told Bill Freider (sp) to get out now because he wanted a Michigan Man coaching Michigan, I understood immediately. Finally, if you listen to this clip from youtube, and you take out the name "Michigan" from it and look at it objectively. you have to admire what is actually said in this clip. It is an all timer.

Reactions: aged_wolverine
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT