ADVERTISEMENT

I don't look forward to watching this team

Sure we have 2 likely 4xers and 5 ranked #1 but I seemed to get more excited about watching the guys from Cael's earlier teams much more.

There is nobody doing crazy and outlandish things like in days past.

There seems to be no "must see TV"

Don't get me wrong, I still watch the crap out of PSU wrestling but the highlight reel is not as much fun to share as it was in the past
This sounds like a you problem

Some of you guys don't get what I am saying!

Watching wrestlers do typical takedowns and turns is not something you can show the casual fan and have them go ooh and aww. We have some of the best wrestlers ever but they very rarely put on a show like Taylor, Nolf, Write, Ruth and Bo, ETC.

Hall might hit a mixer, Joseph might hit a nice trip or throw, Taylor does Taylor things, Ruth was dynamic and Bo and Nolf put on an absolute show.

I miss the creativity of some of the past greats but love the fact that these new kids are winning at a astounding rate!

Sure I am thankful for the team we have and have not missed a dual or tourney on air or in person in many years.
Literally…on another thread, an OP gushes in hyperbole that he’s never seen a wrestler like MM despite watching for 65 years. I can’t fathom what he was watching when DT showed up, no Nolf…ete m, but this thread starts buy suggesting the team is boring.

🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
Literally…on another thread, an OP gushes in hyperbole that he’s never seen a wrestler like MM despite watching for 65 years. I can fathom what he was watching when DT showed up, no Nolf…ete m, but this thread starts buy suggesting the team is boring.

🤷🏻‍♂️
Are you attributing a post about MM to me (the OP)

Watching wrestlers do typical takedowns and turns is not something you can show the casual fan and have them go ooh and aww. We have some of the best wrestlers ever but they very rarely put on a show like Taylor, Nolf, Write, Ruth and Bo, ETC.

Hall might hit a mixer, Joseph might hit a nice trip or throw, Taylor does Taylor things, Ruth was dynamic and Bo and Nolf put on an absolute show.

I miss the creativity of some of the past greats but love the fact that these new kids are winning at a astounding rate!

Sure I am thankful for the team we have and have not missed a dual or tourney on air or in person in many years.
Amazon Football GIF by NFL On Prime Video

If you had to pick one PSU team to watch dismantle a squad like Maryland or Hofstra, which year would you pick?

I think we all understand, but maybe some of us don't really care if casual fans "ooh and aww" over the team.

If watching this team isn't enough to get people "excited" to watch college wrestling, there's always youtube. Tell them to go watch some highlights or something...

I enjoyed the highlights from Mitchell’s first trip to Carver compared to Mark’s first trip there….just sayin

It's a great observation, and one I've made several times on here too. This generation of PSU guys win differently than the previous one. They are unbelievably fundamentally sound. They ride tough, but don't turn consistently. You don't see a ton of wild scrambling, mostly because guys don't get to their legs much.

Great example, would be to compare 157 lbers. There was a great clip against Maryland of Levi fighting for 10-15 seconds just to keep his hips up on his sprawl before finally getting it and then breaking the lock to go behind. Extremely basic technique, but also effective! Nolf would have been fine going to his hip or letting his opponent elevate to come out the back door because Nolf can score from those positions just as easily!

I can see why some find it less entertaining than the previous groups, though I strongly disagree. To me, it's a great example of how good Cael is at developing the strengths of the guys he has. He's not forcing Starocci or Brooks to wrestle like DT and Nolf because that doesn't suit their best skills.

If you had to pick one PSU team to watch dismantle a squad like Maryland or Hofstra, which year would you pick?
I'm in the camp that says since Hofstra was on the schedule this year, then I'd pick this team.

In years past, I'd have picked the team when Brown, Buffalo, Army, ________, was on the schedule.

Comparison is the thief of joy.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Its funny someone can express their opinion and then people follow up with judgement. I also have found this season to be less exciting then in the past. The fact that we only have 10 duals and some of our starters will barely reach match minimum for automatic qualifier status. Then we didn't enter the big tournaments so we couldn't really compare our guys to other opponents outside the Big10 meant some of our guys really were not challenged much this year. I know the reasoning behind the move with Olympic qualifiers and some other early season tournaments in freestyle. It has been less exciting then in the past when you could see your team compete more often. I think the good guys have only had 1 Friday/Sunday dual this year.

It’s funny someone can express their opinion and then people follow up with judgement. I also have found this season to be less exciting than in the past. The fact that we only have 10 duals and some of our starters will barely reach match minimum for automatic qualifier status. Then we didn't enter the big tournaments so we couldn't really compare our guys to other opponents outside the Big10 meant some of our guys really were not challenged much this year. I know the reasoning behind the move with Olympic qualifiers and some other early season tournaments in freestyle. It has been less exciting then in the past when you could see your team compete more often. I think the good guys have only had 1 Friday/Sunday dual this year.
To this I agree. We don’t wrestle enough.

There is no question that the duals are less exciting because they simply aren’t competitive. The individual matches are exciting and interesting to me as they always are.m, but the dual itself isn’t in question from the very first match. A hazard of being historically great.

The OP was going in a different direction regarding how exciting the individual matches were.

Last edited:
No-hitters in MLB can be pretty boring while they're happening, right up until they are complete. Then they hand out awards to the boring pitchers, get added to the record books, and fans feel lucky to have witnessed it and talk about the event for years.

We could be in the midst of witnessing a wrestling no-no.

Its funny someone can express their opinion and then people follow up with judgement. I also have found this season to be less exciting then in the past. The fact that we only have 10 duals and some of our starters will barely reach match minimum for automatic qualifier status. Then we didn't enter the big tournaments so we couldn't really compare our guys to other opponents outside the Big10 meant some of our guys really were not challenged much this year. I know the reasoning behind the move with Olympic qualifiers and some other early season tournaments in freestyle. It has been less exciting then in the past when you could see your team compete more often. I think the good guys have only had 1 Friday/Sunday dual this year.
I think there is a very wide chasm between "this team isn't as exciting as some teams in the past" and "I don't look forward to watching this team" (which is the title of this thread).

I'd agree with the first. I would not agree with the second.

If you don't look forward to watching this team compete, I really don't know what to do for you.

It's a great observation, and one I've made several times on here too. This generation of PSU guys win differently than the previous one. They are unbelievably fundamentally sound. They ride tough, but don't turn consistently. You don't see a ton of wild scrambling, mostly because guys don't get to their legs much.

Great example, would be to compare 157 lbers. There was a great clip against Maryland of Levi fighting for 10-15 seconds just to keep his hips up on his sprawl before finally getting it and then breaking the lock to go behind. Extremely basic technique, but also effective! Nolf would have been fine going to his hip or letting his opponent elevate to come out the back door because Nolf can score from those positions just as easily!

I can see why some find it less entertaining than the previous groups, though I strongly disagree. To me, it's a great example of how good Cael is at developing the strengths of the guys he has. He's not forcing Starocci or Brooks to wrestle like DT and Nolf because that doesn't suit their best skills.
Thinking about this more, the ultimate irony here is that this is exactly how Brands wants his guys to wrestle. Stingy, tough, sound, with pressure and pace.

I think we all understand, but maybe some of us don't really care if casual fans "ooh and aww" over the team.

If watching this team isn't enough to get people "excited" to watch college wrestling, there's always youtube. Tell them to go watch some highlights or something...
The OP suggested there were no highlight reels from this group of wrestlers. No one is doing anything. “Crazy or outlandish”.

I agree. I watched a great youtube clip with Quinten Wright talking about him trying to be like Coach. Ankle picking and wrestling like coach. He wasn't having fun. He then went back to being Q tossing people and shooting blast doubles. He learned to be himself but a more technically correct version of himself. I think Coach also learned to not try and clone himself but help each wrestler be the best version of themself. Nolf, Bo, Zain, DT, Ruth, Q, Brown; all had their own style.

Brown was a heavy handed brawler, Ruth was smooth with the cross face cradle. DT was just so technically sound. Bo and Nolf were freelance artists. Zain imposed his will. Each had unique body styles that allowed them to make what they did work. MM has a unique motor that is his superpower. Yes he sometimes overshoots and gets sloppy but he breaks people with his pace. Levi must have Joseph like hips of concrete. He can stuff shots when he seems dead to rights. C-Star had otherworld defense. He has now opened up the offense more but in the beginning won a lot of close matches. Brooks is so smooth on his feet. To me the closest to Coach Cael from his feet with the pick and such. Kerk in the words of Coach is just a whole different animal. Bartlett is a counter wrestler. He is so good at countering he tends to hang back and not shoot.

We are still learning about the new guys but they all seem to have very good fundamentals and baseline defense. Feed them heavy hips and work a go behind. I love watching the guys develop.

Barclough took plenty of heat on this board as a freshman. He has grown into a fan favorite with his attitude. How many teams would love to have a Lucas or Terrel on the team. They ask about Terrel entering the portal. He is an academic AA earning a biomedical degree. He is getting a great education, becoming a very good wrestler, and having FUN in the process. It wouldn't be taking much of a risk to say he will be very successful wherever he goes and whatever he does.

Well if anything we’ve added another thing to our expanding meme library

(e.g. I don’t look forward to us clinching nationals on Friday night. Makes Saturday boring)

Literally…on another thread, an OP gushes in hyperbole that he’s never seen a wrestler like MM despite watching for 65 years. I can’t fathom what he was watching when DT showed up, no Nolf…ete m, but this thread starts buy suggesting the team is boring.

🤷🏻‍♂️
Guilty of gushing hyperbole (ha). Nah, I haven’t watched for ALL of my 65 years, but even the high paces of Taylor, Nolf, and Zain seem less than MM’s. Shouldn’t be hard to fathom, just a different opinion. Supporting your point, family folk do say I forget more all the time, so there’s a good chance the stars you mention were just as frenetic as MM. All Lions, though, so it’s all good.
Can’t say the same for this thread topic.

Sure we have 2 likely 4xers and 5 ranked #1 but I seemed to get more excited about watching the guys from Cael's earlier teams much more.

There is nobody doing crazy and outlandish things like in days past.

There seems to be no "must see TV"

Don't get me wrong, I still watch the crap out of PSU wrestling but the highlight reel is not as much fun to share as it was in the past
Me thinks you may be crazy and outlandish.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT