ADVERTISEMENT

I don't look forward to watching this team

LorenzoFan

Nov 22, 2017
Sure we have 2 likely 4xers and 5 ranked #1 but I seemed to get more excited about watching the guys from Cael's earlier teams much more.

There is nobody doing crazy and outlandish things like in days past.

There seems to be no "must see TV"

Don't get me wrong, I still watch the crap out of PSU wrestling but the highlight reel is not as much fun to share as it was in the past

That has nothing to do with PSU, it’s that other teams haven’t been able to keep up. Excitement comes with a close team race but the title is virtually decided and will officially be decided before anybody takes the mat on 3/23. Personally I’m pumped for Haines v Shapiro and MM v “the big two.”

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Sure we have 2 likely 4xers and 5 ranked #1 but I seemed to get more excited about watching the guys from Cael's earlier teams much more.

Don't get me wrong, I still watch the crap out of PSU wrestling but the highlight reel is not as much fun to share as it was in the past
sorry to hear that!!

I understand what you are saying, I do, but now you want Cael to win championships, but just closer scores?

I think what he is saying is that he's more a "Lorenzo- off the top rope with a flying elbow- fan"

Reactions: hlstone
Taylor, Ruth, Retherford, Nolf, and Nickal were walking highlight reels and offensive juggernauts. They were dangerous in all positions. I think the level of talent has gone up especially with scrambling/funk ability across all of wrestling. True freshman are coming in ready to compete due to higher level clubs and coaching. We always seem to have two or 3 hammers that are offensive juggernauts in the lineup. RBY and Nick Lee were right there too. Right now I think that is MM, CS, and AB are our juggernauts. These guys are just a little more reserved at giving up points. They aren't necessarily pinning everyone but they dominate offensively and are rarely out of position to be scored on. Levi is also starting to turn it on the last two matches and GK has skills that he could major, tech, or pin everyone in the field.

I like our guys, new and old!

Some of you guys don't get what I am saying!

Watching wrestlers do typical takedowns and turns is not something you can show the casual fan and have them go ooh and aww. We have some of the best wrestlers ever but they very rarely put on a show like Taylor, Nolf, Write, Ruth and Bo, ETC.

Hall might hit a mixer, Joseph might hit a nice trip or throw, Taylor does Taylor things, Ruth was dynamic and Bo and Nolf put on an absolute show.

I miss the creativity of some of the past greats but love the fact that these new kids are winning at a astounding rate!

Sure I am thankful for the team we have and have not missed a dual or tourney on air or in person in many years.

That’s because it’s expected and you know how great this program is. Took 14 or so years to get here, enjoy it.

OP is entitled to his opinion, and since he posted twice, j-town, no we're not being Punkd.

After 14.75 years of extraordinary success, it's inevitable that some will take winning for granted, relying on said "highlight reel" action to get excited about this team. Hell (sorry!) guys, we're in the midst of the greatest time in Penn State wrestling history, and quite possibly (time will tell) are witness to the greatest college wrestling dynasty ever. Step back for a second and think about that. Winning at the rate we do is not easy.

Me, I'm going to enjoy every second of what we're experiencing. I am grateful beyond words. Recently I got to watch two backups beat ranked wrestlers while wrestling up a weight and added it to MY highlight reel.

It's not hyperbole to say that this may be the best wrestling team PSU has ever put out on the mat. Nitpicking over lack of "excitement" factor is like complaining that your gift Lamborghini, while nice, sure, would be better in red.

That’s because it’s expected and you know how great this program is. Took 14 or so years to get here, enjoy it.
We are definitely spoiled as a fan base. I remember it happening with the football program during the 80's & 90's. I mean SVN goes down and a true freshman Kasak steps in and we don't miss a beat. A Brooks is so good and technically sound, it's unbelievable. Same can be said of CStar. I'll never complain about what Cael has built here!

Watching wrestlers do typical takedowns and turns is not something you can show the casual fan and have them go ooh and aww. We have some of the best wrestlers ever but they very rarely put on a show like Taylor, Nolf, Write, Ruth and Bo, ETC.

Hall might hit a mixer, Joseph might hit a nice trip or throw, Taylor does Taylor things, Ruth was dynamic and Bo and Nolf put on an absolute show.

I miss the creativity of some of the past greats but love the fact that these new kids are winning at a astounding rate!

Sure I am thankful for the team we have and have not missed a dual or tourney on air or in person in many years.
I get it. Fewer “splash plays” to borrow a football term. Probably true, just as its true there are different takes on what’s exciting.
For many, MM is “must see”, Beau’s continued tight-roping raises heart rates, every win from our two surprising true frosh is thrilling, and any Lion’s close match still moves us to seat’s edge.
It’s okay to miss the big moves of past stars. It’s still exciting as hell when the “smaller moves” of current Lions lead to match wins, building hopes of AA status or gold in KC.

Reactions: Indian rocks rich

It may be weak, but the complaint being expressed is that these guys are just so damned efficient. Everything they do, they do well and better than anyone else. They may well be the greatest PSU team ever. But the "wow" factor is rarely seen except with MM sometimes, and maybe CS or AB --- but sometimes it looks like even these guys are getting a bit bored.
This whole season could have been mailed-in in advance. The real excitement occurs when Cael throws in a second-stringer to pull an upset, as they inevitably do, it seems.
'nuff said?

9212bb82-3c0d-4fa3-ae8a-a78ca74a9fe3_text.gif

For me, Sunday's dual can't get here fast enough!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT