ADVERTISEMENT

I am rewatching the game. I was there yesterday, so this is my first exposure to the broadcast.

Roar More

Aug 19, 2004
WHAT IDIOTS!!!!! I am halfway through and have heard a season's worth of mistakes. The last before the half was how Penn State finally won a national championship in 1986.

Sorry if this was discussed in the contemporary game thread, but I did not want to wade through over 400 posts.

WHAT IDIOTS!!!!! I am halfway through and have heard a season's worth of mistakes. The last before the half was how Penn State finally won a national championship in 1986.

Sorry if this was discussed in the contemporary game thread, but I did not want to wade through over 400 posts.

Tim Brando is a freaking weirdo.

While we didn't get the national respect we probably deserved in the 60s and 70s, we DID play for a MNC vs bama, we did finish #2 twice (and had things rolled differently, would have played for the mnc vs texas in 69).

If their point was purely that we struggled to be accepted among the elite, i'm all for it... but we sure as hell weren't out of the top 10.. or even top 5 when we deserved such lofty rankings. That said, we had to earn it.. nothing was bequeathed (as was with osu, texas, usc, nd, etc).

While we didn't get the national respect we probably deserved in the 60s and 70s, we DID play for a MNC vs bama, we did finish #2 twice (and had things rolled differently, would have played for the mnc vs texas in 69).

If their point was purely that we struggled to be accepted among the elite, i'm all for it... but we sure as hell weren't out of the top 10.. or even top 5 when we deserved such lofty rankings. That said, we had to earn it.. nothing was bequeathed (as was with osu, texas, usc, nd, etc).
Brando is an SEC junkie. He probably thinks that any team north of Tennessee or west of Arkansas is totally inferior.

Brando must also be an old AFL fan -- he mentioned Boston Patriots wide receiver Gino Cappelletti during the telecast.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION

I think the OPs intent is the fact they had it wrong in that our 1st MNC came following the 82 season vs Georgia at the Sugar Bowl, not 86. Maybe I'm wrong.

Reactions: seminnylion
There was one positive to me - showing different campus images, and different graphics packages. Just something different. I slow the DVR to listen to Jack and Steve so I didn't hear much of the talking heads.

I think the OPs intent is the fact they had it wrong in that our 1st MNC came following the 82 season vs Georgia at the Sugar Bowl, not 86. Maybe I'm wrong.
Yep, that was part of it. But they just got so many other things wrong, like Millen was a linebacker "who occasionally got his hand in the dirt." (He was a DT for three years!) They got yardage wrong on several occasions.

Reactions: BBrown
I watched the game at a bar yesterday and had trouble hearing the announcers, but did they claim late in the game that Franklin rebuilt Penn State’s culture?

No, you're correct. But i heard the dingbats commentary and the gist was we were like the red-headed stepchild all through the 60s and 70s... in part, that was true, but we had our shots. Had we beaten 'bama in the mnc game we'd have been in the big club. Frankly, beating GA wasn't even enough.. beating miami got it done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT