ADVERTISEMENT

Hold the phone... Re: Lochte, Bentz, Conger, Feigen

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001

Gunnar Bentz reveals details about what he told Brazilian police about night with Ryan Lochte

1b2eff038b1955e5033c021f29dce96b99ab15fa.jpg

Pat Forde
Yahoo Sports college football and basketball columnist
Aug 19, 2016, 7:10 PM

RIO DE JANEIRO — The University of Georgia released a lengthy and detailed statement from swimmer Gunnar Bentz, one of the four Americans involved in the incident that led to three of them being detained and charges of a false police report brought against Ryan Lochte and Jimmy Feigen.

Bentz’s statement in full:

“I want to offer a sincere apology to the United States Olympic Committee, USA Swimming, the extraordinary women and men of Team USA and the University of Georgia. Being a member of the Olympic Swimming Team was an honor and a dream come true. The accomplishments of my teammates were awe-inspiring and I’m so pleased I got to see them up close. I regret this situation has drawn attention away from the Olympics, which have been hosted so incredibly well by Brazil and its citizens.

“While I am anxious to put this matter behind me and rejoin my Georgia teammates in classes, practices and competitions, I feel compelled to stress several key points.

1. I was never a suspect in the case from the beginning (Brazilian law enforcement officials saw me only as a witness).
2. I never made a false statement to anyone at any time.

“I also want to be forthright about the details of what transpired last Sunday. What follows is consistent with the account I gave to the Brazilian authorities when I was interviewed for the first and only time on Thursday in Rio de Janeiro:

“After attending an event with several swimmers from different nations, I left in a taxicab along with U.S. swimmers Jack Conger, Jimmy Feigen and Ryan Lochte around 6 a.m. On the way back to the Olympic Village, we pulled into a convenience store to use the restroom. There was no restroom inside, so we foolishly relieved ourselves on the backside of the building behind some bushes. There was a locked door out back and I did not witness anyone breaking it open. I am unsure why, but while we were in that area, Ryan pulled to the ground a framed metal advertisement that was loosely anchored to the brick wall. I then suggested to everyone that we needed to leave the area and we returned to the taxi.

“Two men, whom I believe to have been security guards, then instructed us to exit the vehicle. No guns were drawn during this exchange, but we did see a gun tucked into one of the guard’s waistband. As Jimmy and Jack were walking away from the vehicle, the first security guard held up a badge to me and drew his handgun. I yelled to them to come back toward us and they complied. Then the second guard drew his weapon and both guards pointed their guns at us and yelled at us to sit on a nearby sidewalk.

“Again, I cannot speak to his actions, but Ryan stood up and began to yell at the guards. After Jack and I both tugged at him in an attempt to get him to sit back down, Ryan and the security guards had a heated verbal exchange, but no physical contact was made.

“A man that I believe to be a customer approached us and offered to help as he spoke both English and Portuguese. Understandably, we were frightened and confused during this time. Through the interpreter, one of the guards said that we needed to pay them in order to leave. I gave them what I had in my wallet, which was a $20 bill, and Jimmy gave them 100 Reals, which is about $50 in total. They lowered the guns and I used hand gestures to ask if it was okay to leave and they said yes. We walked about a block down the street and hailed another taxi to return to the Village.

“Videos of this situation have been emerging the last several days. However, I am confident that some video angles have not been shown that would further substantiate my account. I also believe some scenes have been skipped over. Additionally, I would like to stress that our original taxi was not pulled over; the only occupants of the taxi were the four of us and the driver; and to my knowledge, there was no damage done to the door or the inside of the restroom.

“I am so thankful for the love and support of my family, my friends and my teammates during this time. Without question, I am taking away a valuable life lesson from this situation. In everything I do, I am representing my family, my country and my school. I will not take that responsibility lightly.”

I think they should fire the UGA president, AD and swim head coach, appoint some puppet as president who then goes on national TV and apologizes to Brazil and everyone else on the planet and then hire a former FBI Director to produce a report that blames the UGA swim culture and the fired employees.

Just writing this shows me how moronic (corrupt?) the OGBOTs really are!

I think they should fire the UGA president said:
OGBOT's weren't moronic in the least. They had / have very good reasons for diverting public attention as far away from TSM as they could, as quickly as they could possibly do it.

And in so doing they revealed their collective true character with an absolutely unmistakable clarity. They are as corrupt as the day is long.

Reactions: Ski
just another reason why not to have the Olympics in some third world hovel. Hell, if this were the USA, they could have pulled into a WAWA and taken a leak and ordered an Italian Sandwich during Hoagiefest for the road.

This world needs to wake up.

So to summarize...4 guys take a leak in the bushes behind a gas station mini mart. Lochte rips down a rusty sign that was half way off. Security guards shake down the 4 of them for money. Case closed.

Why did they not just piss out the taxi window like a true "American" :)
Then they could have said the ACLU was responsible !
What a group of LOSERS !!!!!!! Oops, D-heads ;-)

This story makes sense and is very believable. As it doesn't fit the stereotype of the ugly Americans I doubt it will get much coverage on the main stream news networks.

So to summarize...4 guys take a leak in the bushes behind a gas station mini mart. Lochte rips down a rusty sign that was half way off. Security guards shake down the 4 of them for money. Case closed.

One of them goes on national TV and makes up a story that becomes an international incident.

See, without the interview and the lies, the case is closed. But Lochte is a clown.

One of them goes on national TV and makes up a story that becomes an international incident.

See, without the interview and the lies, the case is closed. But Lochte is a clown.

He is a clown but I think it's more accurate to say he embellished some of the story as opposed to making it up. He was obviously drunk and we know a man - security guard or not - drew a weapon and demanded money from the group. There's no telling how one processes that in the moment and next morning. I doubt he's encountered a cop or guard act like that before.

Also, given timeline I think it was Lochte's mother that blew this incident up. Prior to he involvement he had not spoken to any media about it

Reactions: GoPennState97
He is a clown but I think it's more accurate to say he embellished some of the story as opposed to making it up. He was obviously drunk and we know a man - security guard or not - drew a weapon and demanded money from the group. There's no telling how one processes that in the moment and next morning. I doubt he's encountered a cop or guard act like that before.

Also, given timeline I think it was Lochte's mother that blew this incident up. Prior to he involvement he had not spoken to any media about it

Embellished? Here's Lochte's story. Does it involve pissing behind a gas station? Committing vandalism? No. This isn't embellishment. I could go through line by line but it's pointless. The entire story he told is a lie.

"We got pulled over, in the taxi, and these guys came out with a badge, a police badge, no lights, no nothing just a police badge and they pulled us over," Lochte said. "They pulled out their guns, they told the other swimmers to get down on the ground — they got down on the ground. I refused, I was like we didn't do anything wrong, so — I'm not getting down on the ground.

"And then the guy pulled out his gun, he cocked it, put it to my forehead and he said, 'Get down,' and I put my hands up, I was like 'whatever.' He took our money, he took my wallet — he left my cell phone, he left my credentials."

With time, I've reached the same conclusion you so adequately state here.

No one looks like Jack Armstrong here. However, what happens to the "security guards" who brandished weapons and demanded money from these individuals? If the behavior of the swimmers was deemed criminal, they should have been taken into custody. Suppose an inebriated swimmer refused to comply, would they have been shot? I'm always more than a bit suspicious of police who keep handguns in the waistband of their pants.

Reactions: roswelllion
No one looks like Jack Armstrong here. However, what happens to the "security guards" who brandished weapons and demanded money from these individuals? If the behavior of the swimmers was deemed criminal, they should have been taken into custody. Suppose an inebriated swimmer refused to comply, would they have been shot? I'm always more than a bit suspicious of police who keep handguns in the waistband of their pants.
It doesn't help when United States sports harpies like Sally Jenkins and Christine "I think a lot before I write, but don't vet) Brennan then run with the fake "bathroom trashed" story. Did any of these people consider a language barrier? Or do they all assume every Olympic athlete who's had a few drinks is fluent in Portuguese?... smh.

Embellished? Here's Lochte's story. Does it involve pissing behind a gas station? Committing vandalism? No. This isn't embellishment. I could go through line by line but it's pointless. The entire story he told is a lie.

"We got pulled over, in the taxi, and these guys came out with a badge, a police badge, no lights, no nothing just a police badge and they pulled us over," Lochte said. "They pulled out their guns, they told the other swimmers to get down on the ground — they got down on the ground. I refused, I was like we didn't do anything wrong, so — I'm not getting down on the ground.

"And then the guy pulled out his gun, he cocked it, put it to my forehead and he said, 'Get down,' and I put my hands up, I was like 'whatever.' He took our money, he took my wallet — he left my cell phone, he left my credentials."

I'm speaking mainly to the headline that he was "robbed at gunpoint"...which is technically true (imo)

Details of a drunken sojourn are never going to be reliable the next day when you're a reality TV wannabe.

It doesn't help when United States sports harpies like Sally Jenkins and Christine "I think a lot before I write, but don't vet) Brennan then run with the fake "bathroom trashed" story. Did any of these people consider a language barrier? Or do they all assume every Olympic athlete who's had a few drinks is fluent in Portuguese?... smh.

Jenkins and Brennan are paid to write, not to think. CLEARLY, lol

Have to disagree a little bit.

I think it was the U.S. media, perhaps with an assist from Ryan and mom, who chose to blow up four drunk swimmers urinating against the back wall of a Rio quickshop at 6:00 in the morning, de-mounting an apparently-already-damaged sign in the process, into a "saga" of international proportions. Witness CNN.com's breathless, inch-high, boldface "APOLOGY" headline the other day. If you choose to believe the local police chief, media coverage was the only way the police found out anything had even happened. The storeowner never reported it because his security folks, whoever they were, apparently engaged in a little 21st Century vigilantism (Brazilian style) and shook down the drunks for enough cash to pay for the sign and, who knows, probably a little something extra for their trouble. Call it compensatory- (for the sign) and punitive- (for behaving badly) damages. Altogether about $70 US. That seems to be pretty much where things ended at the scene.

No, I think whole Lochte Affair was nothing more than our free press operating at its very "finest", demonstrating exactly where its clickbait news-reporting priorities lie for everyone to see.

Last edited:
This was a robbery, however at least one of the swimmers put themselves in a very stupid position. You do that in a third world country, this is what happens.

This. Private security guards pulling firearms and demanding money is robbery, at least in first world countries. What did they need the money for, wiping the pee off of the bushes?

Hell, cops pulling firearms and demanding money is robbery. Although I do believe there is a state in the Midwest where speeding tickets can be paid on the spot to the officer. I also think the maximum fine is like 10.00.

You forgot the part where the Britney Spears looking 32 year old future reality show contestant who caused all the problems lied on worldwide TV, then bolted and left his buddies holding the bag in a foreign country. They need to jackslap that punk.

Reactions: LionDeNittany
You forgot the part where the Britney Spears looking 32 year old future reality show contestant who caused all the problems lied on worldwide TV, then bolted and left his buddies holding the bag in a foreign country. They need to jackslap that punk.

Just someplace out behind a woodshed where CNN et al can't see it.

Britney-Spears-looking-32-year-old-future-reality-show-contestant punks neither require nor deserve national attention to get their butts beat.

Last edited:
Just someplace out behind a woodshed where CNN et al can't see it.

Britney-Spears-looking-32-year-old-future-reality-show-contestant punks neither require nor deserve national attention to get their butts beat.
Agree, but I sure hope those guys take care of business. The whole "celebrity Olympian" thing has made me sick for a long time.

Agree, but I sure hope those guys take care of business. The whole "celebrity Olympian" thing has made me sick for a long time.
NBC is still wasting time on this baloney as I type this. Olympics Reality Show courtesy of the media.

Just heard Lochte being interviewed by Matt Lauer. Lauer kept saying that it was not a robbery but a negotiation for money. AT FREAKING GUNPOINT? That's a negotiation? Matt Lauer is an incredibly brain dead moron.

Most of these incidents arise due to stupidity. When is it okay to piss wherever you like? Drunk is not an excuse. I am a USA Swimmer is not an excuse. I am a gold medalist is not an excuse. You are in a place where law and order seem to be lacking so don't put yourself in that situation in the first place you dumb asses.

Yeah, was there a bathroom or not? How can you state that there was not bathroom so we went out back in the bushes then state we didn't do any damage to the bathroom door?

Have to disagree a little bit.

I think it was the U.S. media, perhaps with an assist from Ryan and mom, who chose to blow up four drunk swimmers urinating against the back wall of a Rio quickshop at 6:00 in the morning, de-mounting an apparently-already-damaged sign in the process, into a "saga" of international proportions. Witness CNN.com's breathless, inch-high, boldface "APOLOGY" headline the other day. If you choose to believe the local police chief, media coverage was the only way the police found out anything had even happened. The storeowner never reported it because his security folks, or whoever they were, apparently engaged in a little 21st Century vigilantism (Brazilian style) and shook down the drunks for enough cash to pay for the sign and, who knows, probably a little something extra for their trouble. Call it compensatory (for the sign) and punitive (for behaving badly) damages. That seems to be pretty much where things ended.

No, I think whole Lochte Affair was nothing more than our free press operating at its "finest", demonstrating exactly where its clickbait news-reporting priorities lie for everyone to see.

CNN would never "enhance" a story just for clicks or viewers . . . :eek:

Reactions: Nellie R and Bob78
Like I asked on the other thread... does anyone have a link showing the security guys actually pulling their weapons and pointing it at the lads? Gunnar is making an effort to convince us there must be video to show this when, to date, the video shows nothing of the sort. Were the kids coerced by the visual display of a weapon into giving up $70 to cover expenses? Yeah, I'd buy that. But when you've been lying repeatedly and your latest version of the truth is also an apparent lie...

so again, if someone has video of the guards pointing their guns at the boys, please post. til then, it isn't about being drunk, acting like asses, and taking a leak.. it's about showing zero character and then doubling down on that.

btw, smart of lochte to ditch the beach boy locks and show up for his interview looking preppy corporate.

Reactions: gogolion
Like I asked on the other thread... does anyone have a link showing the security guys actually pulling their weapons and pointing it at the lads? Gunnar is making an effort to convince us there must be video to show this when, to date, the video shows nothing of the sort. Were the kids coerced by the visual display of a weapon into giving up $70 to cover expenses? Yeah, I'd buy that. But when you've been lying repeatedly and your latest version of the truth is also an apparent lie...

so again, if someone has video of the guards pointing their guns at the boys, please post. til then, it isn't about being drunk, acting like asses, and taking a leak.. it's about showing zero character and then doubling down on that.

btw, smart of lochte to ditch the beach boy locks and show up for his interview looking preppy corporate.

There's 3 minutes missing of the video that was released. And it seems quite clear to me that the way they get out of the car with their hands up is how you would act when a gun is pointed at you

Reactions: roswelllion
So......people are actually watching/listening to this ongoing media masturbation - - - and then blaming the media for putting it all over the airwaves?

Uh, OK. :)

There's 3 minutes missing of the video that was released. And it seems quite clear to me that the way they get out of the car with their hands up is how you would act when a gun is pointed at you
interesting, in that he said they had guns pointed at them when they were on the curb... said nothing happened when they were in the car or getting out.. which you'd think would be the BIG STORY. So while I'd agree with you on principle, this kid is telling his tale clear sober and says the gun weilding occurred well after what you are suggesting was the prime gun moment... i'd like to see the missing 3 minuites... if not, i'd like to know when those 3 minutes happened.

Lochte deserves all the negative publicity he gets. He is going to wish the gun and robbery were real so he could generate some real sympathy

Right now he is proving to be exactly what many thought him to be-a spoiled petulant punk.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT