ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Tom! Care to tell us just who got SHOT on this date in 1981?

Damn, 40 years gone by. Hard to believe.

That same day, one of my fellow 5th graders (who was much bigger than me at the time) accidentally stepped on my left ankle and gave it a horrible sprain.

My memories of watching the news coverage later that day are forever intertwined with those of icing down my swollen purple ankle.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Damn, 40 years gone by. Hard to believe.

That same day, one of my fellow 5th graders (who was much bigger than me at the time) accidentally stepped on my left ankle and gave it a horrible sprain.

My memories of watching the news coverage later that day are forever intertwined with those of icing down my swollen purple ankle.

Tape it up and run a lap sir!

;) :) ;)

Reactions: CVLion
IMHO, it's not even the biggest event in US history that took place on this day.

on this date in 1870, the 15th amendment passed. This guaranteed the right to vote regardless of race

interestingly, on the very same day in 1870, President Grant signed a bill that readmitted Texas into the Union. They were the last Confederate state that was readmitted

and 3 years earlier (1867) on this date, Sec. of State Seward and Russian Baron Stoeckl completed a treaty (called by many Seward's Folly) in which the USA acquired Alaska from Russia for $7.2 M. Interestingly, Russia had been trying to sell Alaska to the USA since the 1850s, but the Civil War kind of got in the way.

on this date in 1950, President Truman publicly denounced Sen. Joe McCarthy.

on this date in 1822, the US Congress combined East Florida and West Florida into Florida Territory.

obviously, Reagan's shooting on this day in 1981 by John Hinkley is more well known, as it happened in the lifetime of many on this board, and was captured on video and in pictures.

IMHO, it's not even the biggest event in US history that took place on this day.

on this date in 1870, the 15th amendment passed. This guaranteed the right to vote regardless of race

interestingly, on the very same day in 1870, President Grant signed a bill that readmitted Texas into the Union. They were the last Confederate state that was readmitted

and 3 years earlier (1867) on this date, Sec. of State Seward and Russian Baron Stoeckl completed a treaty (called by many Seward's Folly) in which the USA acquired Alaska from Russia for $7.2 M. Interestingly, Russia had been trying to sell Alaska to the USA since the 1850s, but the Civil War kind of got in the way.

on this date in 1850, President Truman publicly denounced Sen. Joe McCarthy.

on this date in 1822, the US Congress combined East Florida and West Florida into Florida Territory.

obviously, Reagan's shooting on this day in 1981 by John Hinkley is more well known, as it happened in the lifetime of many on this board, and was captured on video and in pictures.
Truman was WAY ahead of the curve if he knew about McCarthy in 1850, Tom.

on this date in 1950, President Truman publicly denounced Sen. Joe McCarthy.

And just how well DID the passing of the 15th Amendment help black folks of the south Tom??

Maybe the Civil Rights Act did the job the 15th Amendment was supposed to!

Just sayin.

The Fifteenth Amendment had a significant loophole: it did not grant suffrage to all men, but only prohibited discrimination on the basis of race and former slave status. States could require voters to pass literacy tests or pay poll taxes -- difficult tasks for the formerly enslaved, who had little education or money.

The Promise and Pitfalls of the 15th Amendment Over 150 Years | Brennan Center for Justice

It's ok to be wrong Tom!

I knew you'd 'pepper' me with your response sir.

I appreciate the wealth of knowledge you bring in your responses.

I mean that.

Last edited:
And just how well DID the passing of the 15th Amendment help black folks of the south Tom??

I don't want to get into a long debate about this, but the question wasn't how effective was the 15th Amendment. And in fact, the amendment was very effective in the short term.

94 years after the Declaration of Independence was signed, and 82 years after the US Constitution was ratified (which allowed slavery in the USA), the Constitution was amended to prevent the denial of voting by the United States or by any state on account of race. No matter how you slice it, or no matter how imperfect its execution was, the Fifteenth Amendment was a huge step by the United States.

Just sayin.

The Fifteenth Amendment had a significant loophole: it did not grant suffrage to all men, but only prohibited discrimination on the basis of race and former slave status. States could require voters to pass literacy tests or pay poll taxes -- difficult tasks for the formerly enslaved, who had little education or money.

The Promise and Pitfalls of the 15th Amendment Over 150 Years | Brennan Center for Justice

It's ok to be wrong Tom!

I knew you'd 'pepper' me with your response sir.

I appreciate the wealth of knowledge you bring in your responses.

I mean that.

That's UNC level excellence.

• Haha
Was that the person who sat in front of Pee Wee Herman in the movie theater?

We also now know that on the day Reagan was shot, the Soviets canceled their planned invasion of Poland.

Spill it Tom!

Or did you just sleep through history class!

;)

I was a senior at George Washington University and they brought Reagan to the GWU Hospital. Found out when I tried to get to the Foggy Bottom subway station and the detoured us around the hospital.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT