ADVERTISEMENT

Hackenberg comment

I see only tO$U and MSU as 'certain losses', no other teams on our schedule would I consider as such. A few are toss-ups, but they are against teams that beat us last year and this team will be hungry to avenge those losses.

That said, I don't see a lot of "certain wins" either. Some of our opponents are improved. Many of those games I do expect to win. But certain? No.

Reactions: PSUSignore
I'm hopeful. It was obvious early in the season that PSU had nothing offensively but quick outs. They had no running game, no screens, no ability to throw deep because they couldn't protect the quarterback. Really it was pretty remarkable they won some of the games they won. Defenses figured that out and then the receivers couldn't get open. Some of it was inexperienced receivers but some of it was they couldn't stretch the field vertically because Hack only had 2 seconds to throw if that.

It could be just totally different this year. It will at least look like a college offense this year -- sure they're still going to have some OL issues, but it will be more like normal college football -- some plays will work, some won't work.

If they can get ANY kind of running game they'll be able to use play action, and that by itself opens up lots of patterns they couldn't use last year.

No way is Donovan a genius like O'Brien but if they have even just a decent running game with a fast tailback, teams will have to defend them totally differently and the receivers will have MUCH more room.

Fair enough. We have to give credit to BOB for what he did when he was here. Although, to be fair, BOB did come in with the cupboard full. CJF & Donavan came in with the cupboard pretty empty. So, just as we have to say Billy did a great job at PSU, it would be unfair to judge CJF, or more particulary Donovan, based on last year. I would expect improvement this year from the offense.

Cupboard full? Really? Remember how we lost 1, maybe 2, games just because we had a freshman kicker who couldn't make chip shot field goals because the senior took the free transfer?

Cupboard full? Really? Remember how we lost 1, maybe 2, games just because we had a freshman kicker who couldn't make chip shot field goals because the senior took the free transfer?
That said, that senior kicker was injured and we'd still have had Ficken kicken.

That said, that senior kicker was injured and we'd still have had Ficken kicken.

Yeah, that's true. But I bet Fera even with his broken groin could have made at least one of those chip shots. Would have been a tough decision.

Yeah, that's true. But I bet Fera even with his broken groin could have made at least one of those chip shots. Would have been a tough decision.
I hear you, but I don't think so. Those kinds of injuries are tough (I know--I played soccer and it was really tough to get any power with a pulled groin). And I would want my doctors to think first about the athlete's health--you really have to give that kind of an injury time to heal. Had he stayed, I doubt he would have dressed for the Virginia game, given the road team limits.

That said, given his family's heath situation, Fera made the right choice.

Vs Franklin who has ZERO scholarship kickers or punters on the roster. .

Obrien also had about 15 scholarship OL vs Franklin who had 6 healthy scholarship OL last spring.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT