ADVERTISEMENT

Why CFB is better this year

africamurphy

Apr 1, 2019
TV ratings are up 12% this year (and 25% in the last five years)...and the question is why. Bruce Feldman and Stu Mandel broached this on the Audible podcast yesterday.

Top theory...quality QB play. Why is it better this year?

NIL. A whole tier of QBs came back this year because they could make comparable money as returning starters. In past years, they would have lunged for the 4th-7th round NFL money, rather than stay another year and improve their draft stock.

This Saturday's game is case-in-point. Bo Nix at Oregon vs. Michael Penix at Washington. Both would have been drafted last year and would have been 3rd stringers on a pro roster as rookies. Instead, they're headlining the CFB game of the week. (This also might be partially the reason that Clifford surprised us all and got drafted where he did. Teams needed QBs and the pool was low on talent in 2023 because so many returned.)

Another way that NIL is making CFB more popular is the transfer portal. First it was grad transfers who could move around faster (think Russell Wilson from mediocre NCSt to good Wisconsin) and then it was immediately eligible transfers...but both of those rule changes meant that a stud QB at a lower school didn't need to diddle around on a small stage. Jayden Daniels going from ASU to LSU and Dillon Gabriel from UCF to Oklahoma and Sam Hartman (Wake to Notre Dame) are prime examples. And of course, NIL made this all the more alluring for the QBs.

Back when teams had to live or die with their own QB development and QB play across the upper echelon of CFB was weaker. Now, the big schools can be far more likely to have an excellent signal caller on fall Saturdays.

And QBs make the game appealing.

Gripe all you want about transfers and NIL...this is a way that the sport is evolving and advancing.

I think ratings are up because the SEC is down and you don't have ESPN touting the inevitable crowning of an SEC champ yet again. When you tell the majority of the country they're irrelevant year after year interest is going to wane. This feels like the first season in a long time you have so many "legit" contenders this late in the season.

That's another theory they put out there. And I agree with that too. The Clemson/OSU/Bama years were really lame. We'll see where the season ends up...as I posted elsewhere, there's still a sickening scenario where we see UGA/Bama/OSU/Oklahoma in the playoff...again.

But I hope not. This might be one year too early for the 12-team playoff...a year like 2014 with 6 teams with arguments for 4 spots...or 2008 when there were 8 legit teams for 2 spots.

Or maybe PSU will go 12-0 and the rest of the field will thin out too...kinda early to tell.

Reactions: LMTLION
This is the most wide open year in a while in CF. Any of 8 to 10 teams can win it all
Yet it will still probably be three of the same four teams in the CFP when all is said and done. I could easily see Georgia, OSU and Michigan back in it with a fourth team thrown in.

That's another theory they put out there. And I agree with that too. The Clemson/OSU/Bama years were really lame. We'll see where the season ends up...as I posted elsewhere, there's still a sickening scenario where we see UGA/Bama/OSU/Oklahoma in the playoff...again.

But I hope not. This might be one year too early for the 12-team playoff...a year like 2014 with 6 teams with arguments for 4 spots...or 2008 when there were 8 legit teams for 2 spots.

Or maybe PSU will go 12-0 and the rest of the field will thin out too...kinda early to tell.
I do believe that college football is much better when it’s more than just two or three teams down south creating all the excitement.

Yet it will still probably be three of the same four teams in the CFP when all is said and done. I could easily see Georgia, OSU and Michigan back in it with a fourth team thrown in.
If Ohio State and Michigan make it then that's our fault

TV ratings are up 12% this year (and 25% in the last five years)...and the question is why. Bruce Feldman and Stu Mandel broached this on the Audible podcast yesterday.

Top theory...quality QB play. Why is it better this year?

NIL. A whole tier of QBs came back this year because they could make comparable money as returning starters. In past years, they would have lunged for the 4th-7th round NFL money, rather than stay another year and improve their draft stock.

This Saturday's game is case-in-point. Bo Nix at Oregon vs. Michael Penix at Washington. Both would have been drafted last year and would have been 3rd stringers on a pro roster as rookies. Instead, they're headlining the CFB game of the week. (This also might be partially the reason that Clifford surprised us all and got drafted where he did. Teams needed QBs and the pool was low on talent in 2023 because so many returned.)

Another way that NIL is making CFB more popular is the transfer portal. First it was grad transfers who could move around faster (think Russell Wilson from mediocre NCSt to good Wisconsin) and then it was immediately eligible transfers...but both of those rule changes meant that a stud QB at a lower school didn't need to diddle around on a small stage. Jayden Daniels going from ASU to LSU and Dillon Gabriel from UCF to Oklahoma and Sam Hartman (Wake to Notre Dame) are prime examples. And of course, NIL made this all the more alluring for the QBs.

Back when teams had to live or die with their own QB development and QB play across the upper echelon of CFB was weaker. Now, the big schools can be far more likely to have an excellent signal caller on fall Saturdays.

And QBs make the game appealing.

Gripe all you want about transfers and NIL...this is a way that the sport is evolving and advancing.

Maybe it's because (most of) the covid BS is over. Or global warming is bringing better weather. Take your pick.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT