ADVERTISEMENT

Ha! Right on cue...

Player2BNamedL8r

Jan 3, 2012
RI
Bucs choke another away to the bottom-dwellers of the division. Cards lost too, but damn is it frustrating for fans to wonder how far AHEAD of St. Louis they'd be if they could even play .500 against the Reds/Brewers??!!!

Bucs choke another away to the bottom-dwellers of the division. Cards lost too, but damn is it frustrating for fans to wonder how far AHEAD of St. Louis they'd be if they could even play .500 against the Reds/Brewers??!!!
It's OK. It's part of the master plan. We will make the playoffs as a wild card. We play well against good teams. There are no bad teams in the playoffs, so we will beat, in turn, the Cubs, Cards, Dodgers, and Royals to become World Champions. :)

It's OK. It's part of the master plan. We will make the playoffs as a wild card. We play well against good teams. There are no bad teams in the playoffs, so we will beat, in turn, the Cubs, Cards, Dodgers, and Royals to become World Champions. :)
large-smiley-001.gif

Not sure about choke away. I had that one penciled in as a loss as soon as I saw the pitching matchup. Descalfani has been a really good pitcher for the Reds this year. Buds have to win the rest of the series though.

Not sure about choke away. I had that one penciled in as a loss as soon as I saw the pitching matchup. Descalfani has been a really good pitcher for the Reds this year. Buds have to win the rest of the series though.
If you had Mondays game as a loss - based on pitching matchups.....don't even look at today's:

Liriano's last 7 starts: 38 innings, 24 runs on 47 hits and 20 walks OUCH!
Iglesias' last 4 starts: 28 innings, 7 runs on 13 hits 9 walks and 36 strikeouts DOUBLE OUCH!

Apparently so did Hurdle given the line-up he threw out there.

Reactions: bjf1984

Forget about St. Louis. The Pirates have zero chance to catch them. The issue is whether the wild card game will be played in Chicago or Pittsburgh. Sure looks like Chicago to me.

Hurdle is starting to drive me nuts. He babies the players. Why in the world did he sit Marte yesterday and play the stiff Snider? Now I hear he is giving Cole over a week off! These guys have all winter to rest up. They are all getting paid millions of dollars a year to play a game. Years ago players took speed to be sharp in a day game after a night game. At least Hurdle should be telling them to drink two Mountain Dews and get your butt in there. I don't understand Hurdle's decisions. Burnett hasn't pitched in over a month because of elbow pain. He should have been given a shot of novocaine and some Advils before each game he was to pitch. He has the rest of his life to rest up and spend the millions that he has made pitching.

If you had Mondays game as a loss - based on pitching matchups.....don't even look at today's:

Liriano's last 7 starts: 38 innings, 24 runs on 47 hits and 20 walks OUCH!
Iglesias' last 4 starts: 28 innings, 7 runs on 13 hits 9 walks and 36 strikeouts DOUBLE OUCH!

Well but I'll be at today's game, so that one is already in the bag!

Forget about St. Louis. The Pirates have zero chance to catch them. The issue is whether the wild card game will be played in Chicago or Pittsburgh. Sure looks like Chicago to me.

Hurdle is starting to drive me nuts. He babies the players. Why in the world did he sit Marte yesterday and play the stiff Snider? Now I hear he is giving Cole over a week off! These guys have all winter to rest up. They are all getting paid millions of dollars a year to play a game. Years ago players took speed to be sharp in a day game after a night game. At least Hurdle should be telling them to drink two Mountain Dews and get your butt in there. I don't understand Hurdle's decisions. Burnett hasn't pitched in over a month because of elbow pain. He should have been given a shot of novocaine and some Advils before each game he was to pitch. He has the rest of his life to rest up and spend the millions that he has made pitching.

Wow.

Young pitchers need time off. At this stage of his career, Cole is not used to pitching this many innings (over 180 already). All of last year he only threw 138, and only 117 the year before. Young arms get worn out, and not giving them some rest is how you ruin them. I'm surprised it's only one start (if you're correct about "a week off").

As for Burnett, sure.....who cares about destroying his arm? After all, this is his last year, and we won't need him for the stretch run...! <smh> Regarding Snider in for Marte, I suspect Nits74 might be on to something. Even Hurdle knows what happens whenever Locke takes the mound* and figured it was the perfect time to give some regulars a day off (as he did with Cutch several games ago) and let some others get used to game action as they move into the last few weeks of the regular season. They're getting to the "all hands on deck" part of the season, and Hurdle needs to make sure that every player gets his mind, and body, right.

*In all fairness to Locke, he had four solid innings yesterday plus the one stinker that usually happens to him. In this case it was errors that cost the Bucs the runs.

Reactions: PSU-Knocker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT