ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread, PSU - Pitt

Big play was on Pitt's kickoff return.....coverage unit's #1 came from the outside and cut to midfield about the Pitt 30 totally taking him out of the play and giving the returner the wide alley he needed. HUGE fundamental mistake, you've gotta maintain your lanes.

This team is still few years away if ever from a 10 win season. I don't know if Franklin is the coach.
The DT and LB recruiting was big concern recruiting wise for few years and it shows now. This front 7 has huge issues. The OL was addressed in recruiting so I think it will be much better next year and will contiully get better.

Respectfully disagree with you PPB. He's not gone. I know you'd like him to be. He'll get his full six years. I don't mean to cause you pain either. :D
agree 100% buyout to much 12 million if we cut him after this season 8 million next season he will get this year and next. I like the guy but he still does not have a Signature win. and W and L's are all that matters I hope he can turn it around.

Pitt didn't pile of the first half lead on its own and it wasn't all on the defense and O-line. A lot of it is on McSorley. Bad decisions. Slow decisions. No deep threat. Plenty is on him.
You don't really answer questions; just blather generalizations and deflect.

You want Stevens in because that's where you staked your claim, not because of #9's performance.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Fumbles aside he made really good decisions for 99% of the day. The Hail Mary at the end was IMO another mistake. But, nice to see him scrambling, throwing the ball away, and making smart reads for the most part. Pitt is a tough disciplined team who likely played their best game of the year today. We're on our way but not quite there yet.

He made a lot of bad decisions with the ball today. A number of bad throws and a lot slow decisions and showed little to no pocket presence. Get of it. We need Stevens under center as the first team QB starting Monday if this team is going to go to a bowl game.

Heartbreaking end. Changes need to be made to leftside of OL. Mahon is way too slow for a tackle. We are way to thin on DL and LB. Injuries are game changers. I think we come out this game a better team. Hopefully the lose won't hurt recruiting.

This team is still few years away if ever from a 10 win season. I don't know if Franklin is the coach.
The DT and LB recruiting was big concern recruiting wise for few years and it shows now. This front 7 has huge issues. The OL was addressed in recruiting so I think it will be much better next year and will contiully get better.

How is that? This staff only has ONE of those recruits on the field.

agree 100% buyout to much 12 million if we cut him after this season 8 million next season he will get this year and next. I like the guy but he still does not have a Signature win. and W and L's are all that matters I hope he can turn it around.
I like CJF and hope that he turns it around. Still. As you say, W and L matter.

For the first time, I honestly don't believe this program will ever be back in the top 25 of the game. I just don't see it. Sorry, I think we are now along the lines of a Purdue, or a Washington State, or a Wyoming, etc...that's who we are now.

Reactions: 1.5T
You answer questions much like the blowhard, Trump, in that you don't answer them; just blather generalizations and deflect.

You want Stevens in because that's where you staked your claim, not because of #9's performance.
I am concerned about McSorley putting it down so often, but he is a leader and performed well for the most part.

Respectfully disagree with you PPB. He's not gone. I know you'd like him to be. He'll get his full six years. I don't mean to cause you pain either. :D
unfortunately we both know you're correct. I just want Moorehead as OC/HC and a defense that doesn't have its collective head somewhere else to start the game.

I vow to be mellow until 2019...

unfortunately we both know you're correct. I just want Moorehead as OC/HC and a defense that doesn't have its collective head somewhere else to start the game.

I vow to be mellow until 2019...
I'm howling. Mellow? This was a little like IU, except that PSU had some O.

Pitt didn't pile of the first half lead on its own and it wasn't all on the defense and O-line. A lot of it is on McSorley. Bad decisions. Slow decisions. No deep threat. Plenty is on him.
It was his freaken second start, what the hell do people expect.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
He made a lot of bad decisions with the ball today. A number of bad throws and a lot slow decisions and showed little to no pocket presence. Get of it. We need Stevens under center as the first team QB starting Monday if this team is going to go to a bowl game.

I was saying that during the game, but not sure about that now. I think we win the game if the play calling was better. We run a read option hand off after the 16 yard reception? Wow.

The final Pitt interception wasn't by Gesicki's cover man, the Pitt corner came off the PSU receiver running a fly along the near sideline.

Really only two bad pass decisions, the prior one was Godwin's fortunate catch when the Pitt corner jumped the route.

The kid isn't the most gifted but the kid is a competitor and he is a winner. He's got spunk, we'll be fine with him.

Offensively, we only had two backs in the backfield on one play, our 2pt conversion. I think we need to have some plays with TM under center and gave us more traditional running plays......toss sweeps, jet sweeps, draws, etc. I'd love to see us run what Pitt's O ran today.

I am concerned about McSorley putting it down so often, but he is a leader and performed well for the most part.

He is what I thought he was. A backup. He has the flare to come in and do something if needed but can't be relied on as a starter against good teams. The sooner people figure this out the better.

LOL. OK. Obvious agenda is obvious. Have another drink (and bill me for it).

The final Pitt interception wasn't by Gesicki's cover man, the Pitt corner came off the PSU receiver running a fly along the near sideline.

Really only two bad pass decisions, the prior one was Godwin's fortunate catch when the Pitt corner jumped the route.

The kid isn't the most gifted but the kid is a competitor and he is a winner. He's got spunk, we'll be fine with him.

Offensively, we only had two backs in the backfield on one play, our 2pt conversion. I think we need to have some plays with TM under center and gave us more traditional running plays......toss sweeps, jet sweeps, draws, etc. I'd love to see us run what Pitt's O ran today.

......Still 10-2?

latest

How do you know Stevens will be better?

That one got away. A very winnable game. Barkley was running downhill....sure we only had one timeout, but McSorely got greedy...The little boy needs to learn that he doesn't have a D1 arm.

I like Moorhead as CJF's successor.
Really, he doesn't have a D1 arm? His passing stats looked pretty good, and he threw some great passes -- including what would have been the game winner if Hamiltion had caught it. What exactly is a D1 arm in your opinion?

For the first time, I honestly don't believe this program will ever be back in the top 25 of the game. I just don't see it. Sorry, I think we are now along the lines of a Purdue, or a Washington State, or a Wyoming, etc...that's who we are now.
Seriously Purdue and Washington State, again I ask why do you torture yourself, are you really a fan?

Really, he doesn't have a D1 arm? His passing stats looked pretty good, and he threw some great passes -- including what would have been the game winner if Hamiltion had caught it. What exactly is a D1 arm in your opinion?
A QB who doesn't "float" the ball because of physical inability.

It is so uncharacteristic for PSU QB's to fumble and under-throw so many footballs. What has changed?

So, when you engage in this type of hyperbole it causes you to come off as clueless or at best someone prone to exaggeration. Pick any period of time over the best decade and compare the records of those teams to penn state's record.

A QB who doesn't "float" the ball because of physical inability.

It is so uncharacteristic for PSU QB's to fumble and under-throw so many footballs. What has changed?
The fumbles are a problem but are irrelevant to whether he has a D1 arm. I'll take his accuracy over Hack's arm strength -- and he rifled that third and 16 pass (like the pass in the bowl game) and threw a great pass that Hamilton dropped. Have people already forgotten the short jump balls Hack and his cannon threw on so many deep passes (hint: they worked when he had an All-Pro receiving his freshman year, but not so much after that)?

The fumbles are a problem but are irrelevant to whether he has a D1 arm. I'll take his accuracy over Hack's arm strength -- and he rifled that third and 16 pass (like the pass in the bowl game) and threw a great pass that Hamilton dropped. Have people already forgotten the short jump balls Hack and his cannon threw on so many deep passes (hint: they worked when he had an All-Pro receiving his freshman year, but not so much after that)?
Forget Hack.. Putting the ball on the ground more often than expected/reasonable coupled with not having adequate arm strength to throw a decent "deep ball" is an invitation for disaster....

You can delusionally choose to see otherwise...

......Still 10-2?

latest

Looks tougher, but I suspect the team's still shooting for 11-1 so I'm gonna stay as positive for them as I can.

Tough loss....Pitt never put us away and the game was winnable at the end. You gotta steal some games and you can't beat yourself like we did today.

Kudos to Pitt, they outplayed us by playing all 60 minutes, they were ready to play starting with the first series, we weren't.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
You don't deserve my answer

BOB didn't recruit offensive linemen and now it's Franklin's fault
Is that our first blame-it-on-O'Brien post? I figured that would've come from Bushy.

O'Brien was at Penn State for less than two years and has been gone for three but losses are always his fault.

Looks tougher, but I suspect the team's still shooting for 11-1 so I'm gonna stay as positive for them as I can.

Tough loss....Pitt never put us away and the game was winnable at the end. You gotta steal some games and you can't beat yourself like we did today.

Kudos to Pitt, they outplayed us by playing all 60 minutes, they were ready to play starting with the first series, we weren't.

Yes, I'm sure 11-1 is on the way. That trip to Ann Arbor looks like a certain win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT