ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread, PSU - Pitt

Well Penn State took Pitts best and almost pulled it out. Glad they didn't fold. Failures in all segments which could have prevented a loss, including the coaches. Not sure what they were thinking with such an aggressive call at the end, not when we have a good kicker.

Given that it was 2nd Down and at worst you keep a FG in play, that throw was completely inexplicable imho. He threw it into a zone of the field with 3 ASWP defenders and no PSU players (i.e., middle, super deep) - Gesicki closest PSU player and that ball was at least 10 yards over his head and he had no shot of coming anywhere close to catching up with it. The ASWP d-backs were so alone back there, the one closest to ball had time to "camp under it" and make sure he stayed in-bounds!!! That throw, in that situation (a 2nd Down Play with an eternity left on the clock), was just baffling - beyond baffling really, completely inexplicable.
You are right
Given that it was 2nd Down and at worst you keep a FG in play, that throw was completely inexplicable imho. He threw it into a zone of the field with 3 ASWP defenders and no PSU players (i.e., middle, super deep) - Gesicki closest PSU player and that ball was at least 10 yards over his head and he had no shot of coming anywhere close to catching up with it. The ASWP d-backs were so alone back there, the one closest to ball had time to "camp under it" and make sure he stayed in-bounds!!! That throw, in that situation (a 2nd Down Play with an eternity left on the clock), was just baffling - beyond baffling really, completely inexplicable.
This is not the NFL, he is a 20 year kid in his second start and was feeling it, he won't make that mistake again.

For all of you "fans" who said this game was over in the 1Q and called this program terrible, chill out or go root for someone else. We were a dropped pass away from winning a game where we were down 21 points, had important players hurt, and committed a lot of turn overs. Even with some moderate improvement, we will be fine. WE ARE

For all of you "fans" who said this game was over in the 1Q and called this program terrible, chill out or go root for someone else. We were a dropped pass away from winning a game where we were down 21 points, had important players hurt, and committed a lot of turn overs. Even with some moderate improvement, we will be fine. WE ARE

341 yards rushing. No, we are not "fine".

Wow. Win or lose
I'll cop to. Trace made a bad throw but he played with grit and character. Not sure how I feel now,

My feelings are mixed as well. Trace has all of the character that we'd hope for in a PSU football player. That said, I think he is really limited physically. It shows when he gets hit or needs to make a throw running to his left. I'd prefer a Big Ben type of QB -- not necessarily a running threat, but a QB that can make all of the throws, can extend plays, does not go down easily, and does not yield the ball easily. Unfortunately, we won't see this under Franklin given the offensive scheme he wants to run.

I miss the offensive mindset of Joe. He would have played it conservative kicked the FG and tried to win in OT.
We all miss Joe and his disciples.

For all the crap we gave Kenney.....his OL at WMU is pretty good.

Seriously, people have been obnoxiously negative all day long. Freaking morons.

He threw deep down the middle into "3-Deep" coverage - a QB is supposed to see the deep zone and should know that you NEVER throw late into the middle against such coverage! As in NEVER......NEVER EVER EVER! It was an easy INT and just an inexplicably bad read and throw -- have no idea what he was thinking or what he was attempting to accomplish there as no PSU receiver even had a remote chance of even contesting the catch....Gesicki was closest PSU receiver and he was not close at all to where that ball was thrown (and that was after he just kept his head down and remained in full-sprint in an attempt to even get in the zip-code of the throw!?!?

Reactions: mn78psu83
Maybe but it is hard to have a problem with the offense today. It wasn't the best but it put up 39 points. The problem was D
And turnovers. 3 (or was it 4?) fumbles lost and an INT at the worst moment. And a ST breakdown on a kick return. Youth showed today. I'm excited for the future. These mistakes will be eliminated next year and the D will be much stronger.

Reactions: 10 Years After
Hamilton with an uncharacteristic drop too. That's a TD if he hauls it in. But, can't spot Pitt 14 points and have to play from behind all day. Tough loss for sure - win was there for the taking.
That was really tough. If he holds on he scores and we probably win. With the extra point and a 4 point lead I don't think Pitt would have been able to get a TD with less than 2 minutes on the clock.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
341 yards rushing, 5 sacks given up.

McSorely played one hell of a game and so did Barkley. Hamilton showed why he can't be counted on, but the rest of the receivers came through.

The problem is on the offensive line, and on the defensive line.

He threw deep down the middle into "3-Deep" coverage - a QB is supposed to see the deep zone and should know that you NEVER throw late into the middle against such coverage! As in NEVER......NEVER EVER EVER! It was an easy INT and just an inexplicably bad read and throw -- have no idea what he was thinking or what he was attempting to accomplish there as no PSU receiver even had a remote chance of even contesting the catch....Gesicki was closest PSU receiver and he was not close at all to where that ball was thrown (and that was after he just kept his head down and remained in full-sprint in an attempt to even get in the zip-code of the throw!?!?
When McSorely looks at that one that's exactly what he'll think, "inexplicable."

What does that even mean? That we should just give up on this team?
That we need to be no nothing A-holes? What is the point of even being a fan?

Why are you even here? Really, if you obviously don't like this team why are you here?

I don't blow smoke. That alone sets me apart from you.

We have seen the ceiling for McSorley, it isn't what this team needs. We need Stevens in starting next week.

In the second start of his career, his first on the road. His stat line is 24 of 35 (68.5%) for 332 yards 1 td, 1 int and 3 fumbles, playing behind an offensive line with some issues, leading the team to 39 points and you say he has hit his ceiling. You are clueless.

Well Penn State took Pitts best and almost pulled it out. Glad they didn't fold. Failures in all segments which could have prevented a loss, including the coaches. Not sure what they were thinking with such an aggressive call at the end, not when we have a good kicker.
The QB has more than one option where he can throw the ball. He made a bad decision.

341 yards rushing. 5 sacks given up.

At some point, you need to get #70 off the field. That was beyond embarrassing. Abused on nearly 30 snaps offensively. Just embarrassing.

Reactions: masterbaker65
find another team? He isn't a PSU fan
He is. And when does questioning coaching, player decisions, etc. mean you're not a fan? Look, I was impressed with the comeback, but doesn't excuse getting so far behind to what is an above average, but not great team. Enough of the Pollyanna stuff.

Reactions: captain pipe
341 yards rushing, 5 sacks given up.

McSorely played one hell of a game and so did Barkley. Hamilton showed why he can't be counted on, but the rest of the receivers came through.

The problem is on the offensive line, and on the defensive line.

Yup. I think the talent may be there for the DL, but not the experience. Opposite for the OL. Another issue is tackling - Allen is one of the worst offenders; do we have any other options at S?

Trace McSorley - 24-35. 335 yard one TD. 1 pick

He played a great game, a few tough plays, but a lot of good plays too.

Trace McSorley - 24-35. 335 yard one TD. 1 pick

He played a great game, a few tough plays, but a lot of good plays too.

Fumbles aside he made really good decisions for 99% of the day. The Hail Mary at the end was IMO another mistake. But, nice to see him scrambling, throwing the ball away, and making smart reads for the most part. Pitt is a tough disciplined team who likely played their best game of the year today. We're on our way but not quite there yet.

Wow. Win or lose

My feelings are mixed as well. Trace has all of the character that we'd hope for in a PSU football player. That said, I think he is really limited physically. It shows when he gets hit or needs to make a throw running to his left. I'd prefer a Big Ben type of QB -- not necessarily a running threat, but a QB that can make all of the throws, can extend plays, does not go down easily, and does not yield the ball easily. Unfortunately, we won't see this under Franklin given the offensive scheme he wants to run.
Any program would want that QB except OSU.

It IS Franklin's fault that he is running #70 out there while a FIVE STAR top five O lineman is sitting on the bench.
Maybe it is because they are young
And turnovers. 3 (or was it 4?) fumbles lost and an INT at the worst moment. And a ST breakdown on a kick return. Youth showed today. I'm excited for the future. These mistakes will be eliminated next year and the D will be much stronger.
exactly right!! I love Joe but how many of his teams were this young and when they were it was usually in the first year after a NC run, remember how bad some of those teams looked.

#9 was 24-35 for 332. What's your complaint besides the INT at the end?

Pitt didn't pile of the first half lead on its own and it wasn't all on the defense and O-line. A lot of it is on McSorley. Bad decisions. Slow decisions. No deep threat. Plenty is on him.

ADVERTISEMENT