ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread, PSU - Pitt

Well, great game but one we should have stolen.
Today's lesson ; you can't win too many games if you can't stop the run and surrender 42 points.

Lost our patience at the worst possible time. We were patient all day, right until the end.

Just a horrid throw, haven't a clue what on earth TM was thinking there, but I give him credit - that was a classy move to walk across the field and find James Connor and give him a man hug and congratulations (to even be thinking that way after the awful and disappointing 2nd Down throw). I give the kid props, he's got his priorities right given the gesture he demonstrated with Connor after the game.

I kept my composure during the first half fiasco and have to see that this team gave a gutsy performance. Our MLB got better with more looks and we overcame some big D perssonel losses for a better 2nd half. McSorley and SQ bith had player of the week games. I still think we win 7-8 games as Givens comes back and we adjust to Cabinda's loss. McSorley made the play needed to win the game. The ball was dropped. Great job O coaches but the D ciaches were not prepared for Pitt.

Pitt has a very exoerienced D. Trace is going to be a star.

Tough to fault McSorley for two of the fumbles when his OL gives Pitt a free run at him, but the pick was just a bad decision. You will have that with young QB's. He needs to recognize that he had the chance to tie at worst...don't force it. He'll be better for this game.

Reactions: canuckhal
Great game... your qb is gonna be a stud... Barkley is barkley... your o line is MUCH improved... once your d line matures a bit you guys are gonna be a force... congrats on a great game (not that it means more I know) hope you guys that went to the game enjoyed your time and didn't get harassed... nothing but the best the rest of the year

Feel for the kid. But, hey, he'll bounce back. Kids played tough today.

Given that it was 2nd Down and at worst you keep a FG in play, that throw was completely inexplicable imho. He threw it into a zone of the field with 3 ASWP defenders and no PSU players (i.e., middle, super deep) - Gesicki closest PSU player and that ball was at least 10 yards over his head and he had no shot of coming anywhere close to catching up with it. The ASWP d-backs were so alone back there, the one closest to ball had time to "camp under it" and make sure he stayed in-bounds!!! That throw, in that situation (a 2nd Down Play with an eternity left on the clock), was just baffling - beyond baffling really, completely inexplicable.

Reactions: Manxome_Lion
Tough to fault McSorley for two of the fumbles when his OL gives Pitt a free run at him, but the pick was just a bad decision. You will have that with young QB's. He needs to recognize that he had the chance to tie at worst...don't force it. He'll be better for this game.

Hamilton with an uncharacteristic drop too. That's a TD if he hauls it in. But, can't spot Pitt 14 points and have to play from behind all day. Tough loss for sure - win was there for the taking.

Reactions: Locolion
We were moving the ball. It was second down. We were on the edge of field goal range. There was plenty of time. We had a timeout left.

Why make such a risky throw into the end zone?

This game was winnable.

I miss the offensive mindset of Joe. He would have played it conservative kicked the FG and tried to win in OT.
Nah, just play how you did to get where they were. Not ultra aggressive but not going into the Paterno shell either. Why try to win in OT when your defense has been on the field so long already?

Reactions: mn78psu83
We were moving the ball. It was second down. We were on the edge of field goal range. There was plenty of time. We had a timeout left.

Why make such a risky throw into the end zone?

This game was winnable.
Agree.

That one got away. A very winnable game. Barkley was running downhill....sure we only had one timeout, but McSorely got greedy...The little boy needs to learn that he doesn't have a D1 arm.

I like Moorhead as CJF's successor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT