ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread, PSU - Pitt

Forget Hack.. Putting the ball on the ground more often than expected/reasonable coupled with not having adequate arm strength to throw a decent "deep ball" is an invitation for disaster....

You can delusionally choose to see otherwise...
And you can try to move the goalposts by adding fumbles into the discussion if you like, but your "lacks a D1 arm" argument is absurd on its face.

I have no idea what game film they are watching with respect to #70 and #72.

Maybe the worst two offensive linemen in the history of the program and that INCLUDES Damone Jones and Robert Price.

And you can try to move the goalposts by adding fumbles into the discussion if you like, but your "lacks a D1 arm" argument is absurd on its face.
I stand by my "pesky pearls of truth". Trace McSorely is a small-handed, weak-armed "fumble machine"......it's very simple.

Is that our first blame-it-on-O'Brien post? I figured that would've come from Bushy.

O'Brien was at Penn State for less than two years and has been gone for three but losses are always his fault.
BOB did a great job to keep the program together, with the limitations on scholarships he made choices and it appears that one of the choices he made was to go for skill players and not offensive linemen. It is what it is, but to blame Franklin for our poor offensive line play and to expect freshmen and sophomores with no game experience to start over upper classman with 20 games under their belt is not fair to Franklin.

Reactions: 10 Years After
BOB did a great job to keep the program together, with the limitations on scholarships he made choices and it appears that one of the choices he made was to go for skill players and not offensive linemen. It is what it is, but to blame Franklin for our poor offensive line play and to expect freshmen and sophomores with no game experience to start over upper classman with 20 games under their belt is not fair to Franklin.

You are comical.

O'Brien didn't RECRUIT any offensive linemen, and you saw today how that has set this program back, now, for 3 years and no end in sight. And you are damn right it's "fair" to question him now on his personnel: I don't care how bad you are on the bench, you can't keep running 70, 72, and 53 on that field. Two of them are gone next year and you need to replace them ANYWAY, at what point do you start to GET EXPERIENCE for next year? You do nothing but perpetuate the problem by not replacing them NOW.

I stand by my "pesky pearls of truth". Trace McSorely is a weak-armed "fumble machine"......it's very simple.
I'll stop after this: I already agreed the fumbles are a problem. You seem incapable of accepting the "pesky pearl of truth" that fumbling has ZERO to do with whether he has a D1 arm. Now you're shifting from "lacks a D1 arm" to "weak-armed." It's very simple -- you keep changing your tune because your first statement is absurd -- unless you think that all other quarterbacks in D1 have better arms than McSorley (sorry if I'm confusing you with the correct spelling of our starting QB's name). Even you can't believe that . . .

I'll stop after this: I already agreed the fumbles are a problem. You seem incapable of accepting the "pesky pearl of truth" that fumbling has ZERO to do with whether he has a D1 arm. Now you're shifting from "lacks a D1 arm" to "weak-armed." It's very simple -- you keep changing your tune because your first statement is absurd -- unless you think that all other quarterbacks in D1 have better arms than McSorley (sorry if I'm confusing you with the correct spelling of our starting QB's name). Even you can't believe that . . .
You seem to be in denial of some very obvious "truths"..

No Trace No chance. Ya'll can love on Barkley's td numbers, but let's recall 1 yard 3 yard 40 pass from Trace 1 yard 2 yard. Great and all but 85 yards rush and 40 receiving isn't enough. Trace led the team and kept it together til the end. Barkley simply was not the workhorse today. If not for Trace making some very good throws at critical moments, there would not have been a comeback.

So PSU loses 42-39 and people are complaining about TM and Hamilton's drop? Wake up everyone ... unless Pry figures out how to adjust against opponents and PSU learns how to tackle 7-5 is the BEST we can hope for. And that is IF the offense can out score TU, Minny, MD, Purdue, IU and RU.

Trace McSorley - 24-35. 335 yard one TD. 1 pick

He played a great game, a few tough plays, but a lot of good plays too.

He played a good game, but there is absolutely no two ways around it, that last throw cost us the game PERIOD. PSU should have done no worse than a tie in regulation (or if we lost on a missed FG , it would be far more acceptable), but that final throw on a 2nd Down with an eternity on the clock was inexplicably horrid. There is no other way to put it, it COST US THE GAME and was COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY.....just a horrendous decision and hopefully he uses it as a learning experience. If he uses it as a learning experience and he as well as the team use it as a "growing experience" - i.e., growing pains, it's fine as it will long-term make the team better. Team never gave up, continued to fight and seemed to play better as the game went on, so let's see how the team (and McSorley) bounce back from the loss next week before we make any statements as to the outcome of the game. The old adage, "You learn more about yourself in a loss than you do in a win" is actually very true - I'm going to wait to see how the team responds next week before saying the loss might end up making the team better long-term.....we shall see.

He played a good game, but there is absolutely no two ways around it, that last throw cost us the game PERIOD. PSU should have done no worse than a tie in regulation (or if we lost on a missed FG , it would be far more acceptable), but that final throw on a 2nd Down with an eternity on the clock was inexplicably horrid. There is no other way to put it, it COST US THE GAME and was COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY.....just a horrendous decision and hopefully he uses it as a learning experience. If he uses it as a learning experience and he as well as the team use it as a "growing experience" - i.e., growing pains, it's fine as it will long-term make the team better. Team never gave up, continued to fight and seemed to play better as the game went on, so let's see how the team (and McSorley) bounce back from the loss next week before we make any statements as to the outcome of the game. The old adage, "You learn more about yourself in a loss than you do in a win" is actually very true - I'm going to wait to see how the team responds next week before saying the loss might end up making the team better long-term.....we shall see.

According to Franklin, 84 ran the wrong route.

The final Pitt interception wasn't by Gesicki's cover man, the Pitt corner came off the PSU receiver running a fly along the near sideline.

Really only two bad pass decisions, the prior one was Godwin's fortunate catch when the Pitt corner jumped the route.

The kid isn't the most gifted but the kid is a competitor and he is a winner. He's got spunk, we'll be fine with him.

Offensively, we only had two backs in the backfield on one play, our 2pt conversion. I think we need to have some plays with TM under center and gave us more traditional running plays......toss sweeps, jet sweeps, draws, etc. I'd love to see us run what Pitt's O ran today.

The Pitt d-back that made the pick wasn't playing "man" on anyone.....he was playing "deep-left zone" in 3-Deep, match-up "over/under" coverage. The worst part is that the other guy playing deep-right zone could have just as easily camped under it! McSorley decided to make the ABSOLUTE NO-NO throw - deep, down the middle into 2-Deep or 3-Deep match-up zone over/under coverage. It was an absurdly easy INT by the Pitt d-back - so much so that the Pitt player had time to both camp under the ball and line himself up to the end-line in the back of the endzone to make sure he stayed in-bounds. Not only was it an absurdly easy INT, but there was no PSU player that even had a remote chance of getting anywhere near the ball -- have no idea what he was trying to do or who he was attempting to throw it to, but I'm sure it will come up in the film room. It was just a really inexplicably bad decision and throw given the circumstances especially given that it was a 2nd Down play from the edge of FG-range....complete "brain-fart", but it happens especially when you're talking about a kid that just doesn't have a lot of "live game" experience at the DIA level and there is only one way to acquire it. It's unreasonable to expect that a kid making his 2nd start at QB at DIA level isn't going to make some mistakes -- it's the price you have to pay such that PSU ends up winning this game later in the year against Iowa or MSU. Overall his stats to-date are not too bad at all for a guy with only two games as a starter - he's passed for something like 575 yards in two games and he played much better in the last two-thirds of the game than the first third today. Also, the throw to DeaSean Hamilton was a PERFECT throw and a "clutch throw" - it should have resulted in a TD and a PSU lead.....that one was on Hamilton, so it isn't just TM experience "growing pains".

It's not mainly coaching. DL is small and slow. LB are very slow. QB is small and very limited. OL is just bad
No Trace No chance. Ya'll can love on Barkley's td numbers, but let's recall 1 yard 3 yard 40 pass from Trace 1 yard 2 yard. Great and all but 85 yards rush and 40 receiving isn't enough. Trace led the team and kept it together til the end. Barkley simply was not the workhorse today. If not for Trace making some very good throws at critical moments, there would not have been a comeback.
EVERY team the Lions play is going to try to take Saquon away, first. That's just a fact.

Then State is screwed because his slow decision making process, ball security issues, lack of arm strength and poor pocket presence in part got State into the hole they were in.

Last edited:
The Pitt d-back that made the pick wasn't playing "man" on anyone.....he was playing "deep-left zone" in 3-Deep, match-up "over/under" coverage. The worst part is that the other guy playing deep-right zone could have just as easily camped under it! McSorley decided to make the ABSOLUTE NO-NO throw - deep, down the middle into 2-Deep or 3-Deep match-up zone over/under coverage. It was an absurdly easy INT by the Pitt d-back - so much so that the Pitt player had time to both camp under the ball and line himself up to the end-line in the back of the endzone to make sure he stayed in-bounds. Not only was it an absurdly easy INT, but there was no PSU player that even had a remote chance of getting anywhere near the ball -- have no idea what he was trying to do or who he was attempting to throw it to, but I'm sure it will come up in the film room. It was just a really inexplicably bad decision and throw given the circumstances especially given that it was a 2nd Down play from the edge of FG-range....complete "brain-fart", but it happens especially when you're talking about a kid that just doesn't have a lot of "live game" experience at the DIA level and there is only one way to acquire it. It's unreasonable to expect that a kid making his 2nd start at QB at DIA level isn't going to make some mistakes -- it's the price you have to pay such that PSU ends up winning this game later in the year against Iowa or MSU. Overall his stats to-date are not too bad at all for a guy with only two games as a starter - he's passed for something like 575 yards in two games and he played much better in the last two-thirds of the game than the first third today. Also, the throw to DeaSean Hamilton was a PERFECT throw and a "clutch throw" - it should have resulted in a TD and a PSU lead.....that one was on Hamilton, so it isn't just TM experience "growing pains".

YOU ARE WRONG - He (#38) was playing man on #11 and went to the ball after it was thrown. Watch the replay.

He is. And when does questioning coaching, player decisions, etc. mean you're not a fan? Look, I was impressed with the comeback, but doesn't excuse getting so far behind to what is an above average, but not great team. Enough of the Pollyanna stuff.
Phew. Thank you for telling us how we should all feel. I was lost there for a while.

He made a lot of bad decisions with the ball today. A number of bad throws and a lot slow decisions and showed little to no pocket presence. Get of it. We need Stevens under center as the first team QB starting Monday if this team is going to go to a bowl game.
We must have been watching a different game.

Offensive line play did not cost us this game, defense did!!!!

Reactions: Marylovesthelions

Defense lost this game, not McSorley...

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
Looks tougher, but I suspect the team's still shooting for 11-1 so I'm gonna stay as positive for them as I can.

Tough loss....Pitt never put us away and the game was winnable at the end. You gotta steal some games and you can't beat yourself like we did today.

Kudos to Pitt, they outplayed us by playing all 60 minutes, they were ready to play starting with the first series, we weren't.

Illinoislion gets the gold star. Never wavered.

......Still 10-2?

latest

Wow. Someone looks like a clown with this post! Oh wait... :(

Happy to be wrong though.

Reactions: LionJim
I have no idea what game film they are watching with respect to #70 and #72.

Maybe the worst two offensive linemen in the history of the program and that INCLUDES Damone Jones and Robert Price.

This is a good one. OL expert Guns calling Brendan Mahon one of the worst offensive linemen in the history of the program. Was later named Top OT in the country two separate weeks by Pro Football Focus. Was playing outstanding football before he was injured.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT