ADVERTISEMENT

Gable show

What is he, 18 years old? Love his wrestling, didn't care much for the shuffle. Guessing he was pretty amped for his first college dual.

As time goes on, if he continues behaving like that, and it's even remotely perceived as showing up an opponent, it'll stop, imo. Gets a pass this time...nice win.

Reactions: Unlimited424
Watch in slow motion.. he came within centimeters of breaking at least a few toes on that immovable steel girder and possibly a broken neck from his fall to the mat.
Well, maybe, but he didn't. Just the fact that a guy that big can perform a feat like that is all that I'm going to focus on, not that he almost broke toes.

As for the shuffle, not a huge deal IMO. No problem with the "my house" either. Whatever. Don't like it, beat him. Being in a bow and arrow can be humbling but I don't see that happening to Steveson. I could see some bad blood happening and Steveson writing checks that his teammates can't cash though.
Would've liked to have seen him go for the major. That's how we would've handled it.

Amazing talent no doubt; riding a 3+ year hype train, first ever home dual, shirt just got pulled, sent notice to the top 2, and he's just an 18 year old kid...... It's a lot to handle. I totally get it. So he gets a pass. This time.

IMO someone's got Eggum on his face.

That coach better get that shite under control and fast. If not hell have an immature freshman phenom running that program. Celebrating a victory post match is expected, showboating with the Ali foot shuffle and other antics in the middle of the match..... (I'll save my powder for the next time). It shows huge disrespect for his opponent who is worthy of respect, and there is a lengthy list beyond that.... And before we hear the defenders this is nothing like what Bo even yes Gilman or others have done.

If I want my fill of showboating, I'll catch an NBA game or watch the NFL where it s degraded to the point where someone has to make a 'statement' after every play.

What's worse, if this isn't corrected it will spread.

We all have been waiting to see what this kid brings and become supportive enthusiastic fans. I have a general aversion to punks and any repeat of that as a freshman comes across as punkish in my book. I hope he doesn't make it so we all watch hoping that someone takes him down a notch. I can think of one other new heavyweight this year who is the perfect candidate.

Maybe Gable should go back and study his is namesake, or Nolf, or Zain, or Spencer, or DT or Cael, or... any in the long list of champions whose hype was displayed in bright lights on the scoreboard, as opposed to MTV.

Heck Nolf plays with good food before eating almost every match but he would never try to humiliate a lesser opponent.

There are few things more admirable than a "classy" champion.

Hey Flo - can't wait to hear your take, I am really hoping you don't try to not offend. If I had to bet you'll go 2 liked it and 2 don't.... That would be very disappointing as well.

Scored a quick 6 points in the first and was only a TD and a rideout from a major and couldn't do it in the third. Rest of the match looked typical HWY. Escapes and dancing bears (literally). If I'm the OSU guy, I don't feel like I got dominated other than the feet to back in the first minute. Gable could have changed that outlook by putting it on him and going for bonus to truly make a statement.

Seems this tweet was about Gable. I tend to agree with Jordan, I like little JO to contrast with my ZR.

I thought JB Kolat (any relation?)'s response was interesting too, though:

I'll don my TR Foley hat for a minute though--Wrestling in the US is deeply integrated with protestant ethic working class mores and sensibilities. Really, wrestling as a kid may be the ideal training ground for those things. Work hard, keep your mouth shut, let results speak for themselves, everyone is equal on the mat, etc etc. I don't see that changing any time soon, so I guess I don't see those w/ the razzle-dazzle as being any more of a threat to those cherished traditions as any number of other social forces. But I understand the angst about it. If anything, I think the "shiny" components only help to introduce more to those hard and valuable lessons.

Made my comment about the Gable shuffle in an earlier post. To add to it, after JB's tweet, I do believe there's a difference in expectations between 18-23 year old college student-athletes and professional athletes.

Reactions: Unlimited424
I'll don my TR Foley hat for a minute though--Wrestling in the US is deeply integrated with protestant ethic working class mores and sensibilities. Really, wrestling as a kid may be the ideal training ground for those things. Work hard, keep your mouth shut, let results speak for themselves, everyone is equal on the mat, etc etc. I don't see that changing any time soon, so I guess I don't see those w/ the razzle-dazzle as being any more of a threat to those cherished traditions as any number of other social forces. But I understand the angst about it. If anything, I think the "shiny" components only help to introduce more to those hard and valuable lessons.

Looks like someone took both English 15 and Sociology 15. :) Nicely done, Nerf.

Made my comment about the Gable shuffle in an earlier post. To add to it, after JB's tweet, I do believe there's a difference in expectations between 18-23 year old college student-athletes and professional athletes.
So are the adults expected to behave better or worse? ;)

So are the adults expected to behave better or worse? ;)

Yes :).

In all seriousness (and I see your winkie-face), I'm personally ok with the sort of showmanship behavior that professional athletes exhibit that puts butts in the seats, but not the kind that intentionally belittles or degrades others.

As far as adults behaving badly, it's all around us, but in small numbers. In this age of technology, we sure do get to see it a lot more. No one has the knife attack on me on video, circa 1980, after umpiring a Little League game.

I do separate NoVa's example from comparable (to Gable's shuffle) sports examples. What do you all think of the following;

1) Standing over an opponent (on the ground) on the football field after a great run, flexing a bit and barking at him?
2) Screaming at the pitcher while rounding the bases after hitting a home run?
3) The Ali shuffle, when Ali was doing it?
4) After a dunk (the basketball variety, not this forum's beloved member), standing over an opponent you just went through to get to the basket?

Think of all examples as professional sports-related.

Last edited:
Reactions: nerfstate

In all seriousness (and I see your winkie-face), I'm personally ok with the sort of showmanship behavior that professional athletes exhibit that puts butts in the seats, but not the kind that intentionally belittles or degrades others.

As far as adults behaving badly, it's all around us, but in small numbers. In this age of technology, we sure do get to see it a lot more. No one has the knife attack on me on video, circa 1980, after umpiring a Little League game.

I do separate NoVa's example from comparable (to Gable's shuffle) sports examples. What do you all think of the following;

1) Standing over an opponent (on the ground) on the football field after a great run, flexing a bit and barking at him?
4) After a dunk (the basketball variety, not this forum's beloved member), standing over an opponent you just went through to get to the basket?

Are you serious about the knife attack? Yikes.

I think in-competition taunting is typically worthy of in-competition sanction, pro or amateur. But there will alway be grey areas, and I guess needlessly fancy footwork is grey enough. Though in wrestling, Jefe was right: it’s pretty much the definition of stalling.

Some Jordon Oliver tweets, or gilman fight night barbs, or “that’s what we do!”? All is fair in love and war, IMO. You don’t like it? Shut it down. And I’m really looking forward to Nov 30, to see Zain be Zain.

Reactions: midniteride

I think this was awesome, probably because I wasn't the pitcher.

1) Negative Squared
2) Negative
3) No comment on a sport based on intentionally
injuring your opponent
4) Negative Plus

Reactions: matter7172
I don't mind an athlete showing some emotion after an important win but don't celebrate every little thing.

Bo with his "that's what we do" speech was after winning in spectacular fashion not only an individual championship but sealing the team championship. He had a lot to be excited about, this was the culmination of a whole teams worth of effort that had paid off in the big win.

Gable was dancing around the mat before he had even won the match and it was only a regular decision and his team still lost the dual. If he wanted to show the world how good he was he should have showed us a pin or tech fall not some dancing and chest pounding.

Reactions: dbldoofus

Except when Terry Brands routinely belittles athletes from opposing teams. THEN it's considered being "negative" to critique that, and that a couple of such acts should always be excused, as he's "good for the sport." :cool:

This discussion is only a tad bit ironic to me, given that we're condemning adults behaving badly, that they should demonstrate a higher level of sportsmanship, etc, yet someone I know well was made a pariah for pernting out how booing exhibits all of these bad traits, as well as coaches who belittle opposing teams' athletes.

Last edited:
I thought JB Kolat (any relation?)'s response was interesting too, though:

A man who's learned his Max Weber!

Gable was dancing around the mat before he had even won the match and it was only a regular decision and his team still lost the dual. If he wanted to show the world how good he was he should have showed us a pin or tech fall not some dancing and chest pounding.

Having watched the whole match I’m less bothered by Gable’s on-mat antics than when viewing the initial selected showboating clips. At one point he offered White a hand of apology after a head slap that seems to have landed harder than intended. To me, Gable’s “this is my house” comment after the match is a better indicator of his need for maturing. It may well become “his” house, but to make that claim after his first individual win there is hyperbolic and a clear rookie move.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT