ADVERTISEMENT

Gabe Arnold vs. CStar

All the scenarios presented are possible, but let's not forget that we could make a pretty good list of Iowa wrestlers that ended up not reaching the potential that everyone expected from them.

Reactions: danoftw
Gabe wouldn't have a spot in the PSU lineup with Starocci there this year (and *maybe* next...) and with Barr and Sealey coming in right behind him, he'd just be a really good room guy for us.
Only if he could beat Nico. 😈

Petty Starocci is the best Starocci. No way he lets Arnold be within 4 points. Starocci will take Arnold’s comments as the ultimate insult and want to humiliate him.

I doubt they ever wrestle, but if they do it’ll be Starocci by murder.

Last edited:
Please let Gabe wrestle CStar
I don't know. @HikeNatParks is worried about this matchup. ;)
Cracking Up Lol GIF

All the scenarios presented are possible, but let's not forget that we could make a pretty good list of Iowa wrestlers that ended up not reaching the potential that everyone expected from them.
Yeah, but I was discussing the dual in CHA which is still Feb, not March.

i see what you did there futurama GIF

If what he did to Lewis last night is any inication, Arnold is in for a beating.
I didn't watch, but JB paints a good picture on the radio. And it wasn't pretty for Lewis. If Carter can maintain that level of intensity all season his opponents are in for a world of hurt this year.

If what he did to Lewis last night is any inication, Arnold is in for a beating.
Last night may not be indicative. We saw Lewis live on Friday night at Rutgers and he did not look good. Seems like too many miles on the tires. Physically, he looks kinda shot.

Otoh, I don't know how smart it is to poke the bear. Lewis may be dinged up, but Carter looks primed for a great year. He does seem to have jumped a level, which for a 3 time champ is scary.

We saw Brooks at Final X against DT and it was obvious how much more comfortable he is up a weight. 197 field better be prepared for an onslaught.

I don't know. @HikeNatParks is worried about this matchup. ;)
Cracking Up Lol GIF
From what I’ve browsed this morning, my caution is laughable (I’ll keep it anyway). Sounds like a great night for the Lions against top-level competition. Hard to complain when the worst result is a 2-point loss to a #1. This generational team is just another thing to be thankful for.

Gabe comes off as a likeable kid and I was really impressed by his win over Wittlake. He’s more athletic than I thought he was. Normally I’d project a guy like him to jump levels in the coming years but if he’s limited to training/fighting with the likes of Nelson and Marinelli year round, I’m not so sure. We’ll see.

Gabe is very talented. His issue over the next 5 to 10 years will be his frame. He’s just incredibly short for an upper weight. Maybe he’s the one in 1 million that it doesn’t come in to play, but it’s unlikely. I could see a Marinelli type of career with him. Really good to great regular season success, but as the matches get tougher in March, his deficiencies will show up.

Gabe comes off as a likeable kid and I was really impressed by his win over Wittlake. He’s more athletic than I thought he was. Normally I’d project a guy like him to jump levels in the coming years but if he’s limited to training/fighting with the likes of Nelson and Marinelli year round, I’m not so sure. We’ll see.
No responses to this thread after he bumps up and takes out another All-American? Have not watched him yet, but on paper he seems to be pretty good at this level. Probably not CStar good yet, but he has the goal of being a 4-timer and doesn't lack confidence, so he's going to have to be dealt with at some point.

No responses to this thread after he bumps up and takes out another All-American? Have not watched him yet, but on paper he seems to be pretty good at this level. Probably not CStar good yet, but he has the goal of being a 4-timer and doesn't lack confidence, so he's going to have to be dealt with at some point.
Gabe looked great. In fact, he was by far the best guy on the Hawks in that dual, no question. If he wants to be a 4-timer, it's probably best that he give it a go at 184 instead of 174 where C-Star, Mekhi, and Griffith are all lurking. GIA said his weigh-in weight was 182 for the CyHawk meet, so if true, he isn't going to be allowed to wrestle 174 for a while anyway and I'm guessing that means TnT have made the call for him to go 184 this season.

“Probably not CStar good yet”?

Probably?

Not saying the kid isn’t talented but CStar is a massive favorite to be a 4-time Champ. Let’s see Arnold win ONE before the conversation is started.

Last edited:

Probably?

Not saying the kid isn’t talented but CStar is a massive favorite to be a 4-time Champ. Let’s see the Arnold win ONE before the conversation is started.
If the kid's going to win 4 then he's either going to have to go to a different weight or take out CStar to get his first. Guess we'll find out in February what the likelihood of that is.

If the kid's going to win 4 then he's either going to have to go to a different weight or take out CStar to get his first. Guess we'll find out in February what the likelihood of that is.
A lot of people have a goal of winning 4, but very few ever do it. Fantastic defense notwithstanding, given this young man’s limited offensive skill set, I’d guess his chances are slim to none. Just my 2 cents.

Every starter-level recruit has 4x champ as a goal. He's a good wrestler, and that goal is not evidence of anything.

Reactions: goldenanimal

Probably?

Not saying the kid isn’t talented but CStar is a massive favorite to be a 4-time Champ. Let’s see Arnold win ONE before the conversation is started.
He’s not exactly at a weight where wrestlers improve in the Iowa room so, yeah, win one first. I do give him lots of credit for going up and getting it for his team.

As an aside, the #6 and 9 ranks for Feldcamp and Voinovich show the weakness of early season rankings. Both were terrible

If his weigh in weight for CyHawk was really 182, then there's probably a decent chance he's 184 for the season. For him to achieve his 4-timer goal, it's probably better not to have to face C-Star anyway (not that Keckeisen, et. al. are easy, but they're not on the C-Star level, either).

He’s not exactly at a weight where wrestlers improve in the Iowa room so, yeah, win one first. I do give him lots of credit for going up and getting it for his team.

As an aside, the #6 and 9 ranks for Feldcamp and Voinovich show the weakness of early season rankings. Both were terrible
Not to mention Franek at #2. Guy looked awful. Is he REALLY the #2 guy at 157 in the country?

Franek did have Chittum which I did pick to win. As a Grey shirt freshman I am still picking him to be a top 4 Placer this march.

Every starter-level recruit has 4x champ as a goal. He's a good wrestler, and that goal is not evidence of anything.
Most don't poke the bear. He did before he even started wrestling for Iowa. Not many of us expected CStar to be in this position with Kemerer returning at the weight he was at, and here we are. Hopefully he'll get his shot at the champ and will have a nice look up at the lights in CHA.

Probably not, but not far from it. He beat Robb last year.

As far as "how he looked": Chittum is very good. Franek won.
Well we certainly disagree on his performance. Yes, he won, but barely and was extremely unimpressive. A healthy Levi would be drooling at the prospect of facing Franek in the finals.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Probably not, but not far from it. He beat Robb last year.

As far as "how he looked": Chittum is very good. Franek won.
Wasn't his win against Robb the one that immediately preceded him going to the hospital because of the flesh eating infection in his leg?

I thought Arnold’s one shot / TD was slick as heck. He got a lead and then sat on it against a dangerous thrower. Certainly not the first wrestler to do that and won’t be the last. I felt if he needed another TD, he’d get it after seeing that first one. Made for a boring match, but my takeaway was that he’s legit.

But no chance vs Carter.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT