ADVERTISEMENT

Gratitude: Thoughts on the Season (LONG)

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
So, before we inevitably move on to the talk about next year, potential lineups, transfers in, etc, I just wanted to take a moment to express my tremendous gratitude to the coaches and the team for another incredible year. I've never been a fan of a sports dynasty before, but I think it's appropriate to pause and consider just how lucky we are and to recognize the athletes that comprise the team. Of course I'm grateful for Cael, Casey, Cody, and all, but that's for another post. And though not mentioned here, all the athletes that are behind the scenes, started sometimes or not at all, I'm grateful for their part as well.
125: Gary Steen: I kept wondering how difficult it must have been for Gary, hearing all year about the "hole" at 125 and Penn State's 125 "curse". The young man was undersized and he scrapped. He has a lot of work to do, but I don't think I ever saw a lack of effort on his part. Way to not give up, Gary! Just keep improving.
133: RBY: What can I say? A truly astounding athlete. It's been my privilege to watch RBY all these years. An amazing mix of athleticism, lighting quickness, wrestling IQ, top level defense and off the charts work ethic. Coming from a challenging childhood, to achieve all he has is even more remarkable. It didn't end the way he wanted, but this man is gonna go far in life. We won't see another like him, IMO.
141: Beau Bartlett: There was a lot of crap written about Beau and his lack of offense last season. Truth was, he bumped up FOR THE TEAM, and wrestled undersized all year. I'm sure his lack of size was a factor in inhibiting his offense. While his attack rate will never be Nolf-like, (whose is, really?), he showed much more confidence in his offense, his defense was great and he improved all season long, culminating in some great wins at NCAAs and an impressive 3rd place finish. Thanks, Beau!
149: Shayne Van Ness: Just a redshirt Freshman who barely wrestled last season due to injury, he had to find his way during the season. A relentless motor and endless gas tank enabled him to pull off some stunning come from behind wins at NCAAs and finish a fantastic third. 149 clears out next year and with his experience and improvement, it's right there for the taking.
157: Levi Haines: Absolutely remarkable season as a young, true Freshman. The coaches knew all along he was the guy at 157 and they, of course, were right. Always pushing forward, elite defensively with a maturity that belies his age, he had an astounding season. The future is bright, Levi!
165: Alex Facundo: While Alex didn't finish the way he wanted, all the tools are there. His length, elite defense and drive will help him to build on this season and figure out some more angles on attacks. I'm looking forward to his continuing improvement.
174: Carter Starocci: All of our athletes are individuals and Carter is certainly unique. He received criticism on this very message board for his outspoken manner, but he is who he is. An unbelievably, driven, confident and skilled wrestler and 3 time champion. We are truly blessed to watch his excellence.
184: Aaron Brooks: Another remarkable leader and athlete. Perhaps the most technically perfect wrestler on the team. Always pushing forward, fearless and strong. Absolutely out of this world performances. Honored to see him get #3 and go for #4 next year.
197: Max Dean: Certainly had some bumps in the road at the end, but battled back to be an AA again. His post match interviews revealed this man puts his heart and soul into the sport. I'm sure he led by example all year. Thanks, Max.
HWT: Greg Kerkvliet: Having put on weight and finally healthy, it was great to see Kerk at his best. He just couldn't quite get over the hump vs an impressive Parris, but there's no shame in that. His size, quickness, athleticism, and drive will get him the title next year.

So, thanks to all for a fabulous season. We are truly blessed to be fans of this unreal dynasty.

WE ARE!!!

Last edited:
So, before we inevitably move on to the talk about next year, potential lineups, transfers in, etc, I just wanted to take a moment to express my tremendous gratitude to the coaches and the team for another incredible year. I've never been a fan of a sports dynasty before, but I think it's appropriate to pause and consider just how lucky we are and to recognize the athletes that comprise the team. Of course I'm grateful for Cael, Casey, Cody, and all, but that's for another post. And though not mentioned here, all the athletes that are behind the scenes, started sometimes or not at all, I'm grateful for their part as well.
125: Gary Steen: I kept wondering how difficult it must have been for Gary, hearing all year about the "hole" at 125 and Penn State's 125 "curse". The young man was undersized and he scrapped. He has a lot of work to do, but I don't think I ever saw a lack of effort on his part. Way to not give up, Gary! Just keep improving.
133: RBY: What can I say? A truly astounding athlete. It's been my privilege to watch RBY all these years. An amazing mix of athleticism, lighting quickness, wrestling IQ, top level defense and off the charts work ethic. Coming from a challenging childhood, to achieve all he has is even more remarkable. It didn't end the way he wanted, but this man is gonna go far in life. We won't see another like him, IMO.
141: Beau Bartlett: There was a lot of crap written about Beau and his lack of offense last season. Truth was, he bumped up FOR THE TEAM, and wrestled undersized all year. I'm sure his lack of size was a factor in inhibiting his offense. While his attack rate will never be Nolf-like, (whose is, really?), he showed much more confidence in his offense, his defense was great and he improved all season long, culminating in some great wins at NCAAs and an impressive 3rd place finish. Thanks, Beau!
149: Shayne Van Ness: Just a redshirt Freshman who barely wrestled last season due to injury, he had to find his way during the season. A relentless motor and endless gas tank enabled him to pull off some stunning come from behind wins at NCAAs and finish a fantastic third. 149 clears out next year and with his experience and improvement, it's right there for the taking.
157: Levi Haines: Absolutely remarkable season as a young, true Freshman. The coaches knew all along he was the guy at 157 and they, of course, were right. Always pushing forward, elite defensively with a maturity that belies his age, he had an astounding season. The future is bright, Levi!
165: Alex Facundo: While Alex didn't finish the way he wanted, all the tools are there. His length, elite defense and drive will help him to build on this season and figure out some more angles on attacks. I'm looking forward to his continuing improvement.
174: Carter Starocci: All of our athletes are individuals and Carter is certainly unique. He received criticism on this very message board for his outspoken manner, but he is who he is. An unbelievably, driven, confident and skilled wrestler and 3 time champion. We are truly blessed to watch his excellence.
184: Aaron Brooks: Another remarkable leader and athlete. Perhaps the most technically perfect wrestler on the team. Always pushing forward, fearless and strong. Absolutely out of this world performances. Honored to see him get #3 and go for #4 next year.
197: Max Dean: Certainly had some bumps in the road at the end, but battled back to be an AA again. His post match interviews revealed this man puts his heart and soul into the sport. I'm sure he led by example all year. Thanks, Max.
HWT: Greg Kerkvliet: Having put on weight and finally healthy, it was great to see Kerk at his best. He just couldn't quite get over the hump vs an impressive Parris, but there's no shame in that. His size, quickness, athleticism, and drive will get him the title next year.

So, thanks to all for a fabulous season. We are truly blessed to be fans of this unreal dynasty.

WE ARE!!!
A really nice post!

Seems like a good place to post a hot off the presses story I just heard from my brother who is currently at M2 for his son’s practice: Levi just walked in, and the practice spontaneously stopped to give a standing ovation.

He had a hell of a run. Matched DT himself, in his freshman campaign, without the benefit of a redshirt too.

Great post. Yeah, I tell my wife all the time, PSU wrestling is the only team that never lets me down. I’m a Mets, Knicks and Giants fan. Watch almost every Mets game, every Giants game, NBA (meh) I watch about a game every two weeks now. But PSU wrestling never disappoints!

Mets killed me this past year, Giants haven’t been good since Eli’s last title and the Knicks..well it’s been since early 90s since they had a chance at much

This is the one sports team I know has the best coaches, and the best athletes that just know how to get it done on the biggest stages.

Now if I only can get Cael to coach my Mets…(kidding I love Buck and the new ownership group) now if we can just get thru the spring without anymore major injuries..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT