ADVERTISEMENT

Future Lineups & Potential Logjams

I think we can all see a scenario where Carter reassesses, if two years from now he is a 4xer. With two down and two to go, he certainly is the favorite to do it, but there are some mammoth wrestlers who are only 3xers, and it remains a long journey, where injury or even a fluke could derail him.

We can see that Cael's Vulcan mind meld worked pretty well on RBY.

Between facing the reality of becoming the first and only NCAA 5xer in history, coupled with staring down Cael across a desk and saying 'no', I think at the very least, a definitive no is clearly 2 years away.

That said it his decision alone and everyone will respect his choice and celebrate a fantastic career. We will have at least one super stud waiting in the wings to take over if he is done.
I bet the list is short of 3 xers who failed their senior year though.

Where would Starocci fall on the Mt. Rushmore of NCAA wrestling if he were to finish his career at approximately 125-2 with 5 NCAA Championships?*

*admittedly way early prognostication.

giphy.gif
If Bo Nickal has noodle arms, then this guy has angel hair.

• Haha
Reactions: 82bordeaux
Cael
Yianni (assuming wins out)
Dake (most losses amongst 4xers & IDGAS about 4 weight classes)
Smith
Spencer (worst loss amongst group)
Steiber ( still sends finals ref a Christmas card)
And Spencer got decked. That’s a big thing I don’t think gets brought up enough. Pretty sure none of those other guys got pinned in their college career.

In NCAA wrestling why wouldn’t you take all of your eligibility? It’s not like he will be going to the NBA or NFL.

Maybe to get on with life and being an adult? I don't understand hanging around college for seven years in a desperate attempt to be a 25 year old MAN competing with 18 and 19 year olds.

Here's a clip of Marinelli being interviewed after last March:

And Spencer got decked. That’s a big thing I don’t think gets brought up enough. Pretty sure none of those other guys got pinned in their college career.
That’s the “worse loss” in case you missed it.

No, none of those others ever came close to being pinned,would bet most of them never even gave up NF.

explain 9.9 per yr everyone should be on full ride??times 4 thats the full roster?
9.9 1-year scholarships total per team with them being allowed to break them into partial scholarships. Not 9.9 full 4-year scholarships per year per team. That is not a full roster. You could give a full roster partial scholarships, but no team can give a full roster full scholarships.

That’s the “worse loss” in case you missed it.

No, none of those others ever came close to being pinned,would bet most of them never even gave up NF.
No I got it. I just think it’s not brought up enough especially in the GOAT conversion. Yianni is ahead of him for me and this is a main reason why

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
9.9 1-year scholarships total per team with them being allowed to break them into partial scholarships. Not 9.9 full 4-year scholarships per year per team. That is not a full roster. You could give a full roster partial scholarships, but no team can give a full roster full scholarships.
People, myself included, have tried to explain it before..... I think he is just playing with us.

No I got it. I just think it’s not brought up enough especially in the GOAT conversion. Yianni is ahead of him for me and this is a main reason why
How could Yianni not be ahead of him for anyone that is not an HR regular? I know I make a bunch of jokes about this but Yianni has 1 loss in his career - to a guy who was a 4x AA, finalist and would have been a 5x AA if he didn't default out last year. Spencer has 5 losses including getting pinned by Pincininni and going 2-2 in his career against Rivera! Spencer is 78-5 which probably doesn't even make the PSU top 5 winning percentage.

Yianni has won over 75 consecutive matches. Please compare that to Spencer's win streak. Dake had a 77-match win streak in his career.

I'm not even going to get into the fact that Spencer has spent his entire career at 125 which is statistically the youngest and thinnest weight class because all the little guy lovers will get all over me.

Stieber gets no respect and only has 3 losses in his career - Zain, Oliver, and Dardanes. Give him another loss to Oliver and he still has only 4.

And if you want to be really objective about it, the only reason Spencer is getting a shot at his 4th is that he is getting his 6th year - 10 or 20 years back this was not happening no matter how injured you were. There are plenty of 3x'ers whose careers would be ranked ahead of his - even if he goes undefeated this year - if looked at objectively. It's kind of silly - and all marketing - when people talk about him being top 5 or even close to the top 10 of all time. Just say he had a great tilt and move on.

How could Yianni not be ahead of him for anyone that is not an HR regular? I know I make a bunch of jokes about this but Yianni has 1 loss in his career - to a guy who was a 4x AA, finalist and would have been a 5x AA if he didn't default out last year. Spencer has 5 losses including getting pinned by Pincininni and going 2-2 in his career against Rivera! Spencer is 78-5 which probably doesn't even make the PSU top 5 winning percentage.

Yianni has won over 75 consecutive matches. Please compare that to Spencer's win streak. Dake had a 77-match win streak in his career.

I'm not even going to get into the fact that Spencer has spent his entire career at 125 which is statistically the youngest and thinnest weight class because all the little guy lovers will get all over me.

Stieber gets no respect and only has 3 losses in his career - Zain, Oliver, and Dardanes. Give him another loss to Oliver and he still has only 4.

And if you want to be really objective about it, the only reason Spencer is getting a shot at his 4th is that he is getting his 6th year - 10 or 20 years back this was not happening no matter how injured you were. There are plenty of 3x'ers whose careers would be ranked ahead of his - even if he goes undefeated this year - if looked at objectively. It's kind of silly - and all marketing - when people talk about him being top 5 or even close to the top 10 of all time. Just say he had a great tilt and move on.
Someone from HR is going to want to meet you under a bridge. But you make a compelling case.

Anthony Anderson Abc GIF by HULU

I need a cigarette after reading that. Well done.

Someone from HR is going to want to meet you under a bridge. But you make a compelling case.
I don't need to make a compelling case. This does:

Ronnie Bresser
Nick Piccinini
Sebastian Rivera X2

Tomasello - NCAA Champ, certainly doesn't belong in the above group

I don't see anyone continually calling for Zain to be one of the top 10 wrestlers in NCAA history, but 127-3, 80-something win streak to end his career and career losses to Stieber x2 and Mitchell Port. Also owns a win over Stieber as a trFR. Bonus percentage last 3 seasons of close to 90%.

Last edited:

Live look in at Ironbird and his acolytes after reading your heretical screed:

one-dead-in-anti-islam-film-protest-in-upper-dir-officials-1347873894-8609.jpg

bUt ThE mOnO, aGuE, vApOrS and other excu …. reasons!!!!!
Yup, this is what REALLY gets me riled up about, maybe not Spencer, but the people around him. The excuses are for wussies BS.

In a sport where injury news is guarded like Fort Knox and everyone is wrestling with some kind of injury, Spencer's X-rays and injury details have consistently gotten into the public domain since HS, most of the time after a loss or subpar performance. The PR campaign has been going on for years in PA and IA. Spencer's ailments are crippling, yet there is a kid who won states on one leg in the match after SL's loss to DeSanto, Nolf wins NCAAs going away instead of having surgery and never utters a word about it, etc, etc. etc. I wonder if Cael or Yianni ever got sick in college, huh?

I also see that WrestleStat has conveniently 86'd career histories going into Spencer's victory lap. Pretty soon it will be like Ronnie Bresser never existed...

Only joking;) But if you check the wrestlestat prediction machine for a potential Nick Suriano-Spencer Lee match, you may be surprised at the result you get.

Reactions: nitlion6
Yup, this is what REALLY gets me riled up about, maybe not Spencer, but the people around him. The excuses are for wussies BS.

In a sport where injury news is guarded like Fort Knox and everyone is wrestling with some kind of injury, Spencer's X-rays and injury details have consistently gotten into the public domain since HS, most of the time after a loss or subpar performance. The PR campaign has been going on for years in PA and IA. Spencer's ailments are crippling, yet there is a kid who won states on one leg in the match after SL's loss to DeSanto, Nolf wins NCAAs going away instead of having surgery and never utters a word about it, etc, etc. etc. I wonder if Cael or Yianni ever got sick in college, huh?
If there is a poster child for “Excuses are for wusses”, it’s Jason Nolf. The kid said nothing and no one else said anything - and he went berserker on everyone regardless.

Spencer is 78-5 which probably doesn't even make the PSU top 5 winning percentage.
Somebody had to run the numbers ...

In the Cael Sanderson Era, 3 or more years at PSU:
- Ed Ruth = 140-3, 97.9%
- David Taylor = 134-3, 97.8%
- Zain Retherford = 127-3, 97.7%
- Bo Nickal = 120-3, 97.6%
- Jason Nolf = 118-3, 97.5% (98.3% without the injury default)
- Aaron Brooks, 50-2, 96.2%
- Mark Hall = 117-6, 95.1%
- Spencer Lee = 78.5, 94.0%

Lee would have to go 20-0 this year to pass Hall -- and he might not get enough regular season matches.

Last edited:
Live look in at Ironbird and his acolytes after reading your heretical screed:

one-dead-in-anti-islam-film-protest-in-upper-dir-officials-1347873894-8609.jpg
Fatwa-worthy stat:

- Daton Fix (zero NCAA titles): 73-4, 94.8%
- Spencer Lee: 78-5, 94.0%

With Lee possibly not wrestling a full schedule, it's quite feasible for Fix to lose in the finals yet again and still have a better career W-L record after this year.

Fatwa-worthy stat:

- Daton Fix (zero NCAA titles): 73-4, 94.8%
- Spencer Lee: 78-5, 94.0%

With Lee possibly not wrestling a full schedule, it's quite feasible for Fix to lose in the finals yet again and still have a better career W-L record after this year.
But that doesn't matter because Fix can't beat RBY and Spencer would either tech or major him...

Ryan Gosling Lol GIF

Last year's Suriano had a really good shot at taking him out, probably better than 50/50. I would have loved to see Vito at 125 this year to take his shot as well.

If you look at it realistically, Glory doesn't have much of a chance. If they go 20 times, Glory might get him once. So desipite being a very strong#2 I see him as 5-10%er max vs Spencer. Anyone below Glory, give me a break

Likewise Spencer has a really good chance of bonusing throughout. A low match count and Yanni are probably the only things standing between he and another Hodge.

Net net Spencer will probably cruise control to his 4th and he will always be known as an Iowa Goat. I think the weight class has been just plain weak for him excepting his first two years, which colors things when you look at him vs our 3xers, but history forgets those kind of things.

I agree. I think Spencer is good don't get me wrong but four titles at 125 does take something off it. Now if he went up to 133 I would move him up as a 3x who grew a set of balls

Sealy was the number 1 guy I wanted so I’m a happy man. My list of the next top guys I really want are
Luke Lilledahl
PJ Duke
Jax Forrest
Koy Hopke
Lilledahl is a big one especially because of the weight. We need a top of the 125 in the pipeline
I know Duke and Jax are young and years away but I see them as some of the top recruits in awhile. Kids that if they continue on the trajectory they are on now will step in and do well from day 1. Hopke is the top heavyweight out there and fits almost perfect time wise with Kerk. I love the recruiting game and it’s fun to speculate especially when your team is PSU. Being in on every top kid is pretty special
My wish list:

Hopke
Duke is going to Cornell source told me
Correa
Davino
Forest

Full court press Lilledahl, Cael drove to his house , I think we are interested
Lilledahl, Davis, Steen, Howard, Wentzel, Nasedo that’s a log jam too.
With NIL we are starting to become the Yankees. Wait until we get to a point our back ups can place in the top 5

I don't need to make a compelling case. This does:

Ronnie Bresser
Nick Piccinini
Sebastian Rivera X2

Tomasello - NCAA Champ, certainly doesn't belong in the above group

I don't see anyone continually calling for Zain to be one of the top 10 wrestlers in NCAA history, but 127-3, 80-something win streak to end his career and career losses to Stieber x2 and Mitchell Port. Also owns a win over Stieber as a trFR. Bonus percentage last 3 seasons of close to 90%.
Not that it’s his fault but Zain wrestled in weak overall weight classes for most of his career. Besides his victory over Stieber, his best competition was Brandon Sorensen

Cael
Yianni (assuming wins out)
Dake (most losses amongst 4xers & IDGAS about 4 weight classes)
Smith
Spencer (worst loss amongst group)
Steiber ( still sends finals ref a Christmas card)
Who besides Brooks and CStar are in line to be 4xers?

Carr WAS till his hiccup. Anyone else?

Anyway I’d go

CStar @ #4 if he wins out and gets 4
AB @ #3 ditto
CStar @ #2 if he wins out and gets 5

Last edited:
Somebody had to run the numbers ...

In the Cael Sanderson Era, 3 or more years at PSU:
- Ed Ruth = 140-3, 97.9%
- David Taylor = 134-3, 97.8%
- Zain Retherford = 127-3, 97.7%
- Bo Nickal = 120-3, 97.6%
- Jason Nolf = 118-3, 97.5% (98.3% without the injury default)
- Aaron Brooks, 50-2, 96.2%
- Mark Hall = 117-6, 95.1%
- Spencer Lee = 78.5, 94.0%

Lee would have to go 20-0 this year to pass Hall -- and he might not get enough regular season matches.
lisa edelstein relief GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT