ADVERTISEMENT

Funny Wrestling Story

AgSurfer

Aug 9, 2013
Since we are at that time of the year when everyone has to strain a bit to come up with good topics, here is a funny but true story that has close connections to PSU. Unfortunately, however, I don't think it would be appropriate to post the names of the participants. Everyone involved has a good reputation, and I wouldn't want to risk causing them some embarrassment.

Way back a few decades ago, a Penn State wrestler and another well known PA college wrestler who most of the old timers would remember got into a bit of a cross state rivalry where some trash talk got passed back and forth through mutual friends. Consequently, arrangements were made to meet for a little matchup during the summer months to see who was the badder badass. So these two guys and a few others, including me, all got together and we went to the Penn State wrestling room which is now the Lorenzo Wrestling complex.

When we went into the room, we saw that over at the far end was none other than Rich Lorenzo who was wrestling with another Penn State team member, although the name now escapes my memory. The two guys who were feuding started wrestling at the other end of the room. At some point, an argument started as to whether or not the Penn State guy scored a takedown. It went back and forth for a while and got a little heated when suddenly Lorenzo walked over and boomed "Sounds like we have a grudge match here!" Of course everyone immediately shut up, and then Lorenzo looked at the Penn State guy and said something like "When are you going to stop acting like a high school Harry?" The Penn State guy was obviously a bit embarrassed about that, but the rest of us also got the message. So we calmed down and everyone started working on technique and going over different things that we had learned.

In the end, everyone shook hands and walked away as friends. All of us who were there still laugh about it today. (One of the guys who was a witness is currently a professor at Penn State!)

This isn't PSU-related, but it's a wrestling story that's always made me laugh:

In high school, we sometimes had to scrounge around for kids at the lower weights. A friend of mine had graduated and I'd promised to keep an eye out for his little brother so I figured making him wrestle would kill two birds with one stone, right? We only had like three practices before his first match so I showed him every single move I knew. The night before his first match, I was so nervous for him that I kept thinking about what I could have done to better prepare him! I'm like "Damn it! I shoulda showed him just a single and maybe a half, then had him drill those two moves non-stop!" Saturday comes and he's wrestling a bad-ass. I'm sweating bullets for him, but then he freakin' tech-falls the other kid! I was like "Holy crap!" I run up to him after his match and I'm like "What the hell was that?!?" and he looks at me all wide-eyed and worried and says "Man, I'm really sorry I didn't use all the stuff you showed me, I swear, I just didn't have time."

lol

The kid was a natural...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT