ADVERTISEMENT

The SEC is having a great Tournament.

Already, Miss State, South Carolina, Kentucky, Auburn and Florida have been bounced in the first round. I guess that basketball just doesn’t mean more to them, if you know to what I’m referring.

The only thing that matters is who wins the natty. If someone in your conference wins a natty you all win a natty.

That’s why Michigan winning this year was awesome. /s

We’re all cheaters!
Cheaters never win?
But the point is correct, the conference prestige is determined by the best team not the others. Michigan winning was great for Penn State--second to only Penn State winning.

Cheaters never win?
But the point is correct, the conference prestige is determined by the best team not the others. Michigan winning was great for Penn State--second to only Penn State winning.
I assume this is TIC?

Reactions: psu00
I assume this is TIC?

No, he's serious about Michigan.

First, the idea that if we can't beat Michigan, we should at least be grateful to bask in the shadow of its wondrous glory is more than a little pathetic...strictly for losers.

Second, Michigan winning it all doesn't help Penn State in the least. It helps Michigan. Ask Ohio State if Michigan's national championship is a help to the Buckeyes.

Michigan offers an object lesson in reverse. They broke through when they started cheating and have suffered no significant consequences. Harbaugh rides away into the NFL sunset.

Personally, I hate Michigan and always root against them. Hell, I bet money on them in the championship game...and still rooted against them.

No, he's serious about Michigan.

First, the idea that if we can't beat Michigan, we should at least be grateful to bask in the shadow of its wondrous glory is more than a little pathetic...strictly for losers.

Second, Michigan winning it all doesn't help Penn State in the least. It helps Michigan. Ask Ohio State if Michigan's national championship is a help to the Buckeyes.

Michigan offers an object lesson in reverse. They broke through when they started cheating and have suffered no significant consequences. Harbaugh rides away into the NFL sunset.

Personally, I hate Michigan and always root against them. Hell, I bet money on them in the championship game...and still rooted against them.
Because you haven't accepted we're not an independent. Any Big Ten team winning is good for us. We should always be rooting for the B1G when they aren't playing a conference game. Rooting for then to lose is honestly fine if you admit it's being done on emotion without using any logic.
Michigan winning definitely helped Ohio State. Just like adding the 4 Pac XII teams helped all of us despite making life harder.
This is like the idiots who'd rather be in the dying ACC because they can't handle the reality thar we didn't dominate the conference when we joined.
Rooting against the Big Ten in non conference games is rooting against Penn State. Fact

Because you haven't accepted we're not an independent. Any Big Ten team winning is good for us. We should always be rooting for the B1G when they aren't playing a conference game. Rooting for then to lose is honestly fine if you admit it's being done on emotion without using any logic.
Michigan winning definitely helped Ohio State. Just like adding the 4 Pac XII teams helped all of us despite making life harder.
This is like the idiots who'd rather be in the dying ACC because they can't handle the reality thar we didn't dominate the conference when we joined.
Rooting against the Big Ten in non conference games is rooting against Penn State. Fact
Well I could be wrong but I seriously doubt Duke basketball players and fans think UNC winning a National Championship is “good” for them; the Yanks winning the World Series is good for the Red Sox and their fans; or PSU winning another National Championship is good for Iowa wrestling and their fans. But hey that’s just me.

Yn
Well I could be wrong but I seriously doubt Duke basketball players and fans think UNC winning a National Championship is “good” for them; the Yanks winning the World Series is good for the Red Sox and their fans; or PSU winning another National Championship is good for Iowa wrestling and their fans. But hey that’s just me.
Yanks and Red Sox aren't the same. Duke or UNC winning is good for both programs and they know it. Wrestling is isn't competitive. It's Penn State and everyone else. There's no concern about money, TV or prestige when they matter more than anything in college football. See the new playoff.

Yn
Yanks and Red Sox aren't the same. Duke or UNC winning is good for both programs and they know it. Wrestling is isn't competitive. It's Penn State and everyone else. There's no concern about money, TV or prestige when they matter more than anything in college football. See the new playoff.
While I think you are right in the current structure where a conference member winning a title adds makes the other good programs in the conference look good, I don't think it will be the case in the future. When it gets to the point of two super conferences of 20-24 teams, I don't think conference affiliation is going matter a bit. Athletes will go to the team that can manage its salary structure well enough to pay them best, gives them the best chance to showcase their talent, and then the one gives them a chance to win, probably in that priority order. The conference affiliation will have no more impact than they do in the NFL free agency and will generally be nothing more than labels for organizational purposes.

While I think you are right in the current structure where a conference member winning a title adds makes the other good programs in the conference look good, I don't think it will be the case in the future. When it gets to the point of two super conferences of 20-24 teams, I don't think conference affiliation is going matter a bit. Athletes will go to the team that can manage its salary structure well enough to pay them best, gives them the best chance to showcase their talent, and then the one gives them a chance to win. The conference affiliation will have no more impact than they do in the NFL free agency and will generally be nothing more than labels for organizational purposes.
Oh I agree...if we get to two superconferences then it diminishes or eliminates the importance of it. Right now though it matters.

With this year's upcoming addition of the West Coast's best teams, the league's realignment out of the old divisional structure, the expanded playoff system, and the sea changes taking place in the conference and college football, I think a case can be made for your point.

However, prior to all this happening, given the history of the conference since Penn State joined in 1993 (and before that): no way, Jose. The weaker the Big-2 were, the better for us, while anything that boosted the domination of the league by those two teams was most definitely NOT good for us.

Then there's the not-so-small matter of all the times our football program was screwed over, on the field and off, by the mentality that the conference existed to serve the interests of Michigan and Ohio State rather than the reverse.

Honestly, as regards football, the mindset in play of many conference schools, accustomed and conditioned to their 2nd-class status, was a football version of the Stockholm Syndrome where the hostages end up becoming weirdly grateful to their captors for any crumbs thrown their way.

I have rooted against every Big10 Team in the tourney except NW - don't care if anyone other than PSU in the Big10 wins any titles in any sport. I just don't care for most of these teams and their fans and if they feel the same way about PSU I don't care either.

Reactions: bison13
I have rooted against every Big10 Team in the tourney except NW - don't care if anyone other than PSU in the Big10 wins any titles in any sport. I just don't care for most of these teams and their fans and if they feel the same way about PSU I don't care either.
And that's our fault for what you just said--we don't support the conference.

Agreed. With Penn State on the sidelines, I can't muster the energy to give a flying fig about the Big-10's performance in this tournament.

In fact, taking Penn State out of the equation, I have a confession: the conference I root for is the Big East. This dates from around 1980 when I moved to Maryland at a time the Big East was just getting off the ground and about to go on a dominant basketball run.

I used to catch a few conference games a week on television. Great players. Great teams. Great rivalries. Legendary coaches. Brutal physical style of play. That league has changed a lot, but I still find myself rooting for it at tournament time.

I'm rooting for NW in the tournament, an excellent case study in a totally moribund and terrible program, before an actual HC came in there and coached up everyone they had, and have. Collins is an excellent HC and it shows how you can be a tournament team without having much to any tradition, or have a national pulse/radar. It kind of mutes the excuse makers on here about why PSU can't have nice things.

I'm rooting for NW in the tournament, an excellent case study in a totally moribund and terrible program, before an actual HC came in there and coached up everyone they had, and have. Collins is an excellent HC and it shows how you can be a tournament team without having much to any tradition, or have a national pulse/radar. It kind of mutes the excuse makers on here about why PSU can't have nice things.
In about two hour NW will be packing their bags for next season

In about two hour NW will be packing their bags for next season
Ok, and? They are playing Uconn...who had NW winning this game? That has nothing to do with my point of why I respect them as a program and what Collins has done in a basketball wasteland.

Ok, and? They are playing Uconn...who had NW winning this game? That has nothing to do with my point of why I respect them as a program and what Collins has done in a basketball wasteland.
He’s been average. They made tourney last year and this year. Had losing records prior 5 years

He’s been average. They made tourney last year and this year. Had losing records prior 5 years
LOL ok...u missed the point. He is at NW....one of the worst overall programs from a success standpoint of any Power 5 school. Sorry he hasn't won every year. I would take Chris Collins in a minute to coach PSU. Has Penn State ever made consecutive tournament appearances in the modern era?

This is stretching a bit.

Not living in B10 country, I can tell you my experience is that most people in my neck of the woods think the B10 is sucky, top-heavy conference with Mich and OSU as the only good teams. They see PSU as always getting blown out versus good teams, so not a lot of love accruing to the second tier teams.

This is stretching a bit.

Not living in B10 country, I can tell you my experience is that most people in my neck of the woods think the B10 is sucky, top-heavy conference with Mich and OSU as the only good teams. They see PSU as always getting blown out versus good teams, so not a lot of love accruing to the second tier teams.
And when Michigan and Ohio State continually lose in the playoff...see TCU and Georgia the year prior...it hurts us even more. And those people are correct. Penn State hasn't proven they're on that level which needs to change. Thankfully with an expanded playoff (we would have benefited from it more than anyone since the playoff began) we'll get our shot if we don't flop. But overall prestige matters. People can still be happy when they lose but they need to accept the importance of that conference rep as things are today.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT