ADVERTISEMENT

FRL rumors - lineup 141/197

Joe Lee to wrestle in college opens this year another nugget while training at NLWC

Reactions: Maddog
Joe Lee to wrestle in college opens this year another nugget while training at NLWC
My guess is he will be finishing HS online until January and won't be able to wrestle in opens until next year. This is how Nick did it.

on this mornings FRL....Lee beat Cortez handily and Raptor beat Cutch

youll want to listen

What mat were they on? I was watching the Carton Pletcher match and must have missed these entirely. On an unrelated note, after all of the discussion surrounding Sasquatch (no relation to Raptor) a couple of years ago, we'll have the opportunity to see how Nick does against another mythical creature on Sunday. Hopefully he fares better than Cutch apparently did against Raptor.

LemonPie:

XpChdb3.gif

Are the other rumors they stated about past wrestle-offs true?

That Dinmore beat Gulibon and Brill beat Nickal.

Reactions: SRATH
on this mornings FRL....Lee beat Cortez handily and Raptor beat Cutch

youll want to listen
Would be very interesting to have watched the Lee-Cortez match - great contrast of styles. Not all that shocking that in some matches Lee could beat Cortez handily if much of the match was in neutral. Sometimes score can dictate choices and different matches can have different takes.

We had a kid from our HS go to PSU, not a superstar, but a tough kid. Didn't go there to wrestle but went to an open tryout. Wrestled Cortez there. Said he went fairly even with Cortez on his feet, but then got tuned up when they went to the mat, and when conditioning kicked in. I would imagine that Cortez tried to hold off Lee in neutral, but if he gave up an early TD or two, I could see it going downhill from there. Would love to know if Lee took bottom and was able to escape if match was tight.

Reactions: bdv and garw
Was not aware of this. Are all HS wrestlers eligible to wrestle in college opens?

Here is the language. It makes no distinction based on grade, age, or anything else.

Prospective Student-Athlete Participation. NCAA institutions may hold

open events that include prospective student-athletes per NCAA Bylaw 13.11.3.1;

however, results from matches competed against prospective student-athletes

shall not be placed on Individual Season Record Forms and will not be used in

calculations for NCAA championship selection purposes.

Lots of respect for both Cutch and Cassar. Cutch has been a team guy for 5 years, and Cassar has fought through injuries and stuck with the program. I wish both of them well. I'm sure Cael will give them both a fair shot and make the decision that is best for the team.

I come to this site to gain info and enjoy all the knowledge shared. (just joined in 2014). I have come to know most all the "inside jokes". The one that I am missing is the "Carton/Pletcher" joke. Would someone take the time to explain where this came from? THANKS.

You were watching the Carton/Pletcher match and didn’t have the common courtesy to let the rest of us know which mat it was on? C'Mon Man!;)

I come to this site to gain info and enjoy all the knowledge shared. (just joined in 2014). I have come to know most all the "inside jokes". The one that I am missing is the "Carton/Pletcher" joke. Would someone take the time to explain where this came from? THANKS.
High level - those two wrestled in the nationals and a litany of posts were made regarding the logistics of the match - when/where. The post went on long after the match concluded from my recollection. (I am glad I was there as I simply watched).

Reactions: pointingdogsrule

I may be wrong, but I recall last year at NCAA's Carton/Pletcher were set to meet. We had a rooting interest as we hoped Carton would win (knock out a tOSU guy). A bunch of people were here on message boards during the tournament and someone kept asking frantically what mat Carton/Pletcher was on. The match ended..this person still kept coming on the boards and asking..it was funny..

I forget whether I mentioned but i was standing on the Carton Pletcher mat shooting the match behind it. I missed the ending so I looked in BWI to find out the result, only to find dozens of inquiries about which mat it was on.

I guess we'll see, but I wouldn't consider Lee and Cassar winning those matches a shock by any means. Both are highly talented and if Lee could stay out from the bottom position with Cortez, he has an advantage on his feet.

I may be wrong, but I recall last year at NCAA's Carton/Pletcher were set to meet. We had a rooting interest as we hoped Carton would win (knock out a tOSU guy). A bunch of people were here on message boards during the tournament and someone kept asking frantically what mat Carton/Pletcher was on. The match ended..this person still kept coming on the boards and asking..it was funny..
$500 says you can't guess who kept asking stuff he could've looked up, and after it was no longer relevant.

Don't worry, it's not like you have to pay the $500.

I guess we'll see, but I wouldn't consider Lee and Cassar winning those matches a shock by any means. Both are highly talented and if Lee could stay out from the bottom position with Cortez, he has an advantage on his feet.

Cortez was/is a great rider and scorer from top. if NLee is getting out with ease, either Cortez's injury is still a problem or NLee turned a big corner. A combination of both maybe.

NLee has always been good on his feet, if he jumped levels its going to waaay more f** this season.

Im not sleeping on keener either, while never a world beater, being the room could push him to heights only imagined before. AA or round of 12 w/ a bonus point or 2 would be huge for the team race.

I'd like to hear details of that 14-1 score, if it truly was that dominant.

Hypothetically, Lee could've gone feet to back, they traded escapes, then Cortez tried a desperation move and got tossed. Throw in RT and that's a 14-1 final for a 7-1 match.

Don't get me wrong, 7-1 is still strong, but nowhere near as eye popping as 14-1.

OTOH if Lee got 3 TD + NF4 + NF2 + RT + traded escapes, that's a blowout.

Reactions: dunkej01
You were watching the Carton/Pletcher match and didn’t have the common courtesy to let the rest of us know which mat it was on? C'Mon Man!;)
No worries, it is being re-broadcast on the Ocho in the bottom half of the top of the hour, 2nd Tuesday of next week. :rolleyes:

Reactions: colt21
My bad. All I can say is it was worth the wait. It was set up as a tag team and Nico and Spyker were on the edge awaiting a tag. Brands was on the edge of the mat doing his hamster dance and spewing spittle when Carton clawed his way to the edge and tagged Nico. Nico had Pletcher turned and was getting back points when Spyker leaped into the fray and proceeded to pin both Nico and Pletcher. When Tan Tom tried to intervene Brands got in his face and insisted that Ryan throw him, which he promptly did. A surreal ending to a bizarre match. During the entire ordeal Cael sat calmly in the corner beside Casey with a bemused expression on his face. It looked like they were having fun.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT