ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin after michigan: “overcome...some interesting calls...”

BobPSU92

May 6, 2015
At the 12:55 mark. What do you think he was referring to? He mentioned the batted ball later on. um with 12 men on the field that was missed? Others?

Also, Franklin mentioned that the WiFi at the hotel in michigan didn’t work. No in-person team meetings allowed and then no Zoom meetings. Reminds me of the power outage at the team hotel in Champaign back in ‘94.

Hmmm
Gameplan accidentally runing into selective refs, concussing them such that they are removed from the game might help. But how do you gameplan for the replay officials....perhaps we can write an app for that...or demand a UPS be wired
Into the power supply to the booth. Or, better yet, make the replay officials wear dog training collars. Who knows...

Reactions: TheGLOV
At the 12:55 mark. What do you think he was referring to? He mentioned the batted ball later on. um with 12 men on the field that was missed? Others?

Also, Franklin mentioned that the WiFi at the hotel in michigan didn’t work. No in-person team meetings allowed and then no Zoom meetings. Reminds me of the power outage at the team hotel in Champaign back in ‘94.

I’d imagine just about everyone on the team has a cellphone that works as a hotspot.

Reactions: LionDeNittany
Does Franklin know the officiating history of the Penn State UM games? This series is responsible for the initiation of instant replay in CFB. And mainly because only one team was constantly on the wrong side of the officiating “mistakes.”

I just have come to expect it when PSU plays UM. Just a fact of life in the B10 and it will not end until there is no B10 or PSU is no longer a part of the B10, which almost happened a few years ago, except the greedy B10 wanted Penn States share of the bowl money.

Maybe he was referring to his own “interesting calls” re: the cluckfudge play calling and time management at the end of the first half.....
That was actually my first thought. I didn't have a chance to really concentrate on watching the game yesterday, only saw bits here and there. Got thru the first half yesterday, want to finish today. At least the first half looked fairly officiated, for a game at Michigan. My impression thus far is that both teams have some good talent, although Penn State just seems overall a tad better; Penn State also played with much more enthusiasm yesterday. Amazing what just that can do to overcome a few perceived bad calls.
I remember that game in '94 at Illinois well. That team overcame their bad breaks and went on to win that game, and come up with an undefeated season. Given solid coaching, talented players, and enthusiasm and confidence, it can be done.

Reactions: TheGLOV and N&B4PSU
What problem did you have with the time management at the end of the first half? My god you could show some people the most beautiful sunset and they would still bitch about it.

You just don’t spike the ball on first down with, what, approx 25 seconds left. If you’re determined to throw one of our low-percentage fade passes, do that on first down instead of spiking the ball. With a time-out you could then run on second or third down. Or run the ball on first and second down, then use your last time out if you need it.

Bottom-line, with 25 seconds and a time out you can EASILY get three opportunities to score. We got two.

Isn't your phone always wireless?

Do you mean your phone needs to be connected to wifi? Then the answer is no. That would defeat the purpose.

LdN
No - I mean, to first initiate the hotspot as the hotspot host. Everyone else is obviously dependent on the host. Am I insane? I go on drives with my sons where there’s no wireless and their iPads are wireless only. I need to be on wireless, connect them, and then we roll - and it stays connected even when my wireless dies.

No - I mean, to first initiate the hotspot as the hotspot host. Everyone else is obviously dependent on the host. Am I insane? I go on drives with my sons where there’s no wireless and their iPads are wireless only. I need to be on wireless, connect them, and then we roll - and it stays connected even when my wireless dies.

This has me befuddled. I don’t need my phone to be connected to WiFi to make it a WiFi hotspot for another device.

I love Franklin but that spike was pretty bad. All in all I think the officiating was fair, no huge mistakes or anything and they sure let the db's play. The batting thing was weird but apparently is the correct call and if you were going to mess with Penn State through officiating then the spots on short yardage would be waaaaaay different

Reactions: N&B4PSU

I saw at least 3 defensive pass interference calls against UM that could have (should have?) been called. Nothing egregious, but considering that:

a) Michigan didn't have a defensive penalty called all game (and only one penalty total!)
b) Don Brown's defense is predicated on holding/interfering with receivers on every play and assuming you will get caught only a couple of times

...this seems...unusual. I guess PSU didn't throw the ball downfield a ton but still...

I love Franklin but that spike was pretty bad.
Honest question that I don't know the answer to:
Is this spike called by Franklin or by KC? I would think that a spike call would be like any other play call (from the OC) and Franlin would chime in about when to use timeouts, when to go for it on fourth down, when to try a trick play, etc.

So yes, the spike was not the right decision in that scenario (although this happens all the time...did you see the end to the Syracuse game? The spiked it on fourth down while driving to score at the end o the game) but I'm not sure it is on CJF

Reactions: 91Joe95
What problem did you have with the time management at the end of the first half? My god you could show some people the most beautiful sunset and they would still bitch about it.
You might (and I still wouldn’t but he would take less heat) spike it and give up a down if you didn’t have any timeouts....but with a timeout, you could take it there and have 3 cracks at the endzone with 25secs left, instead of only 2 shots.

You might (and I still wouldn’t but he would take less heat) spike it and give up a down if you didn’t have any timeouts....but with a timeout, you could take it there and have 3 cracks at the endzone with 25secs left, instead of only 2 shots.

Actually that would be worse. Have the time out gives the offense the option to run. You could in theory run with no timeout but short of end zone you’d have to rush spike which limits you to 1 play.

I don’t have issue spiking ball fir the following reasons.
-you have 2 chances to score with essentially the full playbook.
-this team has made fundamental errors throughout the season. Rushing plays would increase chance of that happening. Rather have the team fully in sync fir 2 plays rather than rushing one play and disaster happen.

I don’t like the play calls but I think I get them. Clifford hasn’t proven overly reliant on decision making. The margin fir error is smaller inside the 10. A bad bass or decision removes points potentially. The quick fade is really fairly low risk as the defender rarely has a chance to get into position for pick.

But fir the spiking decision. I actually think it was the right call.

You just don’t spike the ball on first down with, what, approx 25 seconds left. If you’re determined to throw one of our low-percentage fade passes, do that on first down instead of spiking the ball. With a time-out you could then run on second or third down. Or run the ball on first and second down, then use your last time out if you need it.

Bottom-line, with 25 seconds and a time out you can EASILY get three opportunities to score. We got two.

absolutely correct. The spike was entirely idiotic in that situation

Actually that would be worse. Have the time out gives the offense the option to run. You could in theory run with no timeout but short of end zone you’d have to rush spike which limits you to 1 play.

-this team has made fundamental errors throughout the season. Rushing plays would increase chance of that happening. Rather have the team fully in sync fir 2 plays rather than rushing one play and disaster happen.

I don’t like the play calls but I think I get them. Clifford hasn’t proven overly reliant on decision making. The margin fir error is smaller inside the 10. A bad bass or decision removes points potentially. The quick fade is really fairly low risk as the defender rarely has a chance to get into position for pick.

All good points, especially the one about by having the timeout in your pocket it makes a run play possible and forces the D to watch for a run.

The other plus of spiking the ball is is that you save the timeout to get the field goal team on in the event of a bad play like a sack or fumbled snap.

I can imagine all the wailing and gnashing of teeth should he have called time out instead of spiking it and then a bad snap allowed for the clock to run out without a field goal attempt.

This. I was going to say the same thing. The clock was running as the team was trying to line up. If they had called a play the team would have rushed it and God forbid if the play had lost yards or resulted in a turnover. People would have been asking why they rushed the play with 25 seconds and a timeout. Can’t win.

Reactions: psu_et_vt
Is this spike called by Franklin or by KC? I would think that a spike call would be like any other play call (from the OC) and Franlin would chime in about when to use timeouts, when to go for it on fourth down, when to try a trick play, etc.

So yes, the spike was not the right decision in that scenario (although this happens all the time...did you see the end to the Syracuse game? The spiked it on fourth down while driving to score at the end o the game) but I'm not sure it is on CJF
yeah no idea if it was Franklin or who decided on the spike

Yeah and don’t forget just previously to this they wasted like 19sec before calling a timeout

The clock management at the end of the first half was abysmal. You're all forgetting that PSU had just made a first down at the 15 with (I think) 1:03 left and two timeouts. The clock stopped momentarily to spot the ball after the first down. SEVENTEEN seconds then ran off, and THEN a timeout was called -- without running a play. So, there went 17 seconds for no reason whatsoever.

Then, after getting another first down at the 5, PSU still had one timeout left and PLENTY of time to run a quick pass play into the end zone (though sadly, given the inept red zone playcalling in general, that would likely have been a fade to a short receiver). If you complete it, it's a TD; if it's incomplete, then you have still had the benefit of the equivalent of a spike with respect to stopping the clock (the only difference being you would have run an actual play that gave you a chance to score). That still leaves you with two more chances (if needed), one of which could have been a running play because of that timeout you still have in your pocket.

Instead, we wasted the 17 seconds before calling timeout #2, then wasted a play with the spike, and failed to use the timeout, which of course was gone forever.

I once saw Nebraska get 5 downs where if it had been called correctly they would have lost.

Yep. Spike was absolutely unnecessary. Run a play. As you say, instead of 3 chances for the TD, we gave ourselves 2.

He was referring to the batted ball. It was a bad call.

Well In my opinion he wasn’t completely honest. Franklin said he appreciated all the suggestions the PSU fans sent him. I’m pretty sure that he didn’t appreciate some of them.

All good points, especially the one about by having the timeout in your pocket it makes a run play possible and forces the D to watch for a run.

The other plus of spiking the ball is is that you save the timeout to get the field goal team on in the event of a bad play like a sack or fumbled snap.

I can imagine all the wailing and gnashing of teeth should he have called time out instead of spiking it and then a bad snap allowed for the clock to run out without a field goal attempt.

you do not call a time out there. It was a first down, you get up to the line of scrimmage and run a play at about 22 seconds on the clock

it was idiotic to spike the ball there

The clock management at the end of the first half was abysmal. You're all forgetting that PSU had just made a first down at the 15 with (I think) 1:03 left and two timeouts. The clock stopped momentarily to spot the ball after the first down. SEVENTEEN seconds then ran off, and THEN a timeout was called -- without running a play. So, there went 17 seconds for no reason whatsoever.

Then, after getting another first down at the 5, PSU still had one timeout left and PLENTY of time to run a quick pass play into the end zone (though sadly, given the inept red zone playcalling in general, that would likely have been a fade to a short receiver). If you complete it, it's a TD; if it's incomplete, then you have still had the benefit of the equivalent of a spike with respect to stopping the clock (the only difference being you would have run an actual play that gave you a chance to score). That still leaves you with two more chances (if needed), one of which could have been a running play because of that timeout you still have in your pocket.

Instead, we wasted the 17 seconds before calling timeout #2, then wasted a play with the spike, and failed to use the timeout, which of course was gone forever.
Yeah, this is what I was thinking. We used a timeout on that short drive when we really didn’t need to. It was as if we were playing with a new QB. Had we done a better job, that extra timeout might have allowed a running play.
We still came away with a FG off the turnover, which was obviously all to the good and shifted momentum going into the half.
It probably isn’t reasonable to expect this team to get the small things right when so many of the big things have been wrong. Baby steps, I guess.

A QB draw or some other reasonably simple running play on first down would have been better. Maybe you catch the D sleeping. If not, call timeout and still have two shots at the end zone via passing plays. But hindsight always makes coaching easier.

Just watched McCord and SJ Prep game. Loved their offense. Hire their coach could help JF and CC and also demo how to.........run out the clock. Why is McCord going to OSU? He is destined to be blocked by 5 Star QBs and will be entering the portal after his Soph Year .................IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT