ADVERTISEMENT

Five bands that are (were) popular that you can't stand.

Have to agree to disagree - Jay Z takes plays way too loose with rhyme structure for my taste while Eminiem, regardless of whatever the content is, keeps his rhymes extremely tight and focused. Again, I like Jay Z but if pressed I bet he couldn't freestyle two verses.
Yeah that's just a stylistic difference and I would have to say for fun, I like Eminems stuff better than Jay Z. But the "mega" Jay Z hits like Big Pimpin, Can I get A, or Hard Knock Life......well that's about as much fun as you can have listening to music.

But yeah, as an overall product I would agree with you on Eminem being someone I would listen to more.

Still, Jay Z's lyrical depth is hard to beat..........more prose than technical poetry and I tend to like my art abstract.

Agree to disagree. Truce.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I know that music is really subjective but INMO I thought some of the stuff being done from that time period 1996-2001 was really good. Granted I'm an Alternative Guy and some of this is European but some good stuff.
Bush
Beck
Marylin Manson
Cake
Soul Coughing
Guided by Voices
Tori Amos
Weezer
Oasis
Elliot Smith
Muse
The Faint
The Bravery
Soundgarden
Blind Mellon
NIN...
Just curious, you were just forgetting Radiohead, correct?

1. Kansas
2. KISS
3. Foreigner
4. Air Supply
5. Hall & Oates

Edit: Shiat, How could I forget Styx?! They go right near the top. Can I have a Top Six?

Last edited:
Reactions: Connorpozlee
This should be entitled the "chime in if you hate rock and roll" thread

I'm shocked (shocked I say!) at a few of the repeat listings in this thread: The Beatles, Springsteen, U2, Led Zep, DMB, Grateful Dead, The Who, The Clash .... WHAT?

Those are some of the greatest bands of all time. If you hate more than one of them - you hate rock and roll. Go find that mythical town where Foot Loose took place and join the congregation of the music hating minister (played by John Lithgow, I believe).

Kind of surprising responses.

Time will tell, but I can't see how Prince, Metallica, Nirvana and Pink Floyd don't hold up among the best musical artists of the last 50 years.

1) Dead and Phish (two iterations of the same thing). The "Dude" will not like this but there's a reason hippies didn't exist until the 60's......survival. Endless droning acid trip. (Sorry Bear).
2) Collective Soul and Counting Crows.......I actually liked these bands at one time. Then I realized I was clinically depressed. See bands 1a and 1b and stop self medicating.
3) Spin Doctors.....yeah, just no.
4) Any hair band ever. The 80's were fun but produced nothing of substance.
Just remember, the 80’s gave us Spinal Tap.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
I have been to three Dead shows. I just find their music boring. I don't hate them. I do love Pink Floyd, Led Zep, The Who, Eagles. Skynrd...etc.

Reactions: OaktonDave
I don't get Madonna's appeal either. But there is one thing she was skilled at and ahead of her time at and that is generating fame and interest. She was on the cutting edge of getting attention for not actually doing much, which has become an art form nowadays.

That's not the only thing she was famous for. Think under arm deodorant.

Musically absolutely not but she was an artist like it or not.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

I'm shocked (shocked I say!) at a few of the repeat listings in this thread: The Beatles, Springsteen, U2, Led Zep, DMB, Grateful Dead, The Who, The Clash .... WHAT?

Those are some of the greatest bands of all time. If you hate more than one of them - you hate rock and roll. Go find that mythical town where Foot Loose took place and join the congregation of the music hating minister (played by John Lithgow, I believe).
Just be be clear...that doesn't include electronica BS...right.

I hate every band you mentioned. I also hate foot loose. So that's not gonna work for me.

My surprising (I would say even shocking) eliminations:

1) Beatles
2) Stones
3) Doors
4) Pink Floyd
5) Metallica
6) Prince (not debatable)
7) Led Zeppelin
8) The Who
9) Michael Jackson (a.) because you stole my sig pic Joe Pa Rules....I have date stamp evidence. (b.) A+ B doesn't equal C. He's a great musician period and if you push me I'll go there.......yeah, I'm talking about The KING so Back off!
9) ZZ Top (lighten up people and listen to La Grange--you can't have a song like that and suck)
10) Any group eliminated by fiat......you can't eliminate an entire classification of music (it's Musist). You should be ashamed of yourselves......please at least have the appearance of diversity people! (one exception, hairball bands......please, just please).

Bands not yet eliminated which I agree with (universally accepted as good) and therefore musical gods: (come up with your own list, here's mine)

1) Nine Inch Nails
2) Pearl Jam (grunge reference rejected, see fiat rule above)
3) Radiohead
4) Dylan (loosely referenced, doesn't count)
5) Eminem (shut up, he has a band, have you not seen him live!!!)
6) Jay Z / Kanye (in the same band together so I'm claiming Genesis/Phil Collins/Peter Gabriel rule here)--if you're a Beatles fan don't push me on this or I will bring up RINGO!
7) Queen

Further more, I now decree, none of the above bands can be eliminated as your intent would only be to "screw" with me. 5 pages of posts is more than enough to clear the "universally good" hurdle. Thank you very much

Last edited:
Nah man, there's some good stuff out there right now, just not the clowns listed above.
1. Alabama Shakes
2. Nathaniel Rateliff and The Night Sweats
3. Leon Bridges
4. Odesza
5. Kendrick Lamar
6. Amos Lee
7. Greta Van Fleet
8. Chris Stapleton
9. Just about every EDM dj not named Martin Garrix
10. Tyler the Creator
11. Logic
12. Cudi, even though it's been a minute since he's out out anything as good as before.
13. Jack White

In sure I'm missing a few but the above are who came to my mind first .

I'm seeing a few of these at Firefly next week.

I can get into all of these except Tyler the Creator.

Reactions: palmettolion
My surprising (I would say even shocking) eliminations:

1) Beatles
2) Stones
3) Doors
4) Pink Floyd
5) Metallica
6) Prince (not debatable)
7) Led Zeppelin
8) The Who
9) Michael Jackson (a. because you stole my sig pic Joe Pa Rules....I have date stamp evidence. (b. A+ B doesn't equal C. He's a great musician period and if you push me I'll go there.......yeah, I'm talking about The KING so Back off!
9) ZZ Top (lighten up people and listen to La Grange--you can't have a song like that and suck)
10) Any group eliminated by fiat......you can't eliminate an entire classification of music (it's Musist). You should be ashamed of yourselves......please at least have the appearance of diversity people! (one exception, hairball bands......please, just please).

Bands not yet eliminated which I agree with (universally accepted as good) and therefore musical gods: (come up with your own list, here's mine)

1) Nine Inch Nails
2) Pearl Jam (grunge reference rejected, see fiat rule above)
3) Radiohead
4) Dylan (loosely referenced, doesn't count)
5) Eminem (shut up, he has a band, have you not seen him live!!!)
6) Jay Z / Kanye (in the same band together so I'm claiming Genesis/Phil Collins/Peter Gabriel rule here)--if you're a Beatles fan don't push me on this or I will bring up RINGO!

Further more, I now decree, none of the above bands can be eliminated as your intent would only be to "screw" with me. Thank you very much

I wouldn't pay a single cent to see someone on your good list, but I don't hate them. Some are even decent, but I tend to like musicians that bend the rules and aren't afraid to fail when doing so. Studio artist are great on an IPOD though.

I wouldn't pay a single cent to see someone on your good list, but I don't hate them. Some are even decent, but I tend to like musicians that bend the rules and aren't afraid to fail when doing so. Studio artist are great on an IPOD though.
Oh good, we're back to our normal discourse. I was getting worried.

OH and I'm guessing that since it's me that posted, you're getting the "surprisingly eliminated" mixed up with the "universally good". I mean NIN and Radiohead broke every rule there was and ever will be. Probably didn't read the full post, huh.

And since we're back to normal you and me, you rarely understand context--it's called sarcasm YOU CONDESCENDING DOLT!

There, now that felt better!

Last edited:
OH and I'm guessing that since it's me that posted, you're getting the "surprisingly eliminated" mixed up with the "universally good". I mean NIN and Radiohead broke every rule there was and ever will be. Probably didn't read the full post, huh.

And since we're back to normal you and me, you rarely understand context--it's called sarcasm YOU CONDESCENDING DOLT!

First of all, I don't know you nor your opinions that you have some beefs with me from a hole in the wall....so whatever there. I don't really care to know either but apparently you think I recorded your opinions or something....not the case. I'm sure you may have disagreed with me on something somewhere, but apparently it wasn't that big a deal to me.

I also said a few were decent, but I just wouldn't pay to see them. I've seen NIN quite a few times and lived not too far from Reznor's first studio in NOLA for a while. Some good stuff. I've heard a bit of Radiohead, but they just don't do it for me...although I do like some of their tunes too. I'd see Jack White before either of those 2 in a NY minute, but others may not feel the same way. It's all good you little whiney...;)

Glad you let it all out, good for you....sounds like you needed that. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

This post will sound snippy, but I'm honestly interested in your take.

What "rules" are you referring to? Certain chord progressions are going to sound discordant to the human ear, no matter how good a musician you are.

I am not aware of any rules in music, so I'm curious to know you're take on these rules.

It's not my kind of music, I've never listened to a NIN song. I pulled up guitar tab for one of their songs at random and the entire song was a Cm7 chord. The verse, the chorus, the whole song. That could be considered breaking a rule, but it would be a monotonous, repetitive way to do it.

Like i said, not trying to be snippy, just a life long musicians curiosity

This post will sound snippy, but I'm honestly interested in your take.

What "rules" are you referring to? Certain chord progressions are going to sound discordant to the human ear, no matter how good a musician you are.

I am not aware of any rules in music, so I'm curious to know you're take on these rules.

It's not my kind of music, I've never listened to a NIN song. I pulled up guitar tab for one of their songs at random and the entire song was a Cm7 chord. The verse, the chorus, the whole song. That could be considered breaking a rule, but it would be a monotonous, repetitive way to do it.

Like i said, not trying to be snippy, just a life long musicians curiosity
La Jolla used the term rules. I simply repeated it to respond to him.

I would agree, there are no rules in music.

If you really want my take, technically proficient is probably the least important aspect for me. I guess outside of classical music, but even there, it's more about how someone plays an instrument with their soul even if it's not technically sound. My take again, I'd take John Bonham over Neil Peart as an example. I said in a previous post, I like my art abstract so it's about the entire piece.

I usually pick up bands that stop me in my tracks with something I've never heard. I think most people came to NIN due to either Head Like a Hole or Closer, but if they became fans they understood what they were trying to do with their music. NIN was unmitigated hate and self-loathing, and during that period it strongly appealed to me. It was more than music, it was therapy and it still resonates today. It's survived the test of time.

For Radiohead, Paranoid/Android and Creep were the first songs that caught my attention, both were just unbelievable beautiful. Again, my opinion, I just feel like you can't listen to Creep and not feel the pain he is portraying. Paranoid, Android is a beautiful Rock Opera which feels more like a tapestry painting of sadness, determination, anger and disgust.

Read the back story on "True Love Waits" and watch the video. Just beautiful song.

Oh and for La Jolla I'll use a Radiohead lyric:

"When I am King you will be first against the wall..........with your opinion which is OF......NO......Consequence...at....all."

Last edited:
Reactions: PSU87
First of all, I don't know you nor your opinions that you have some beefs with me from a hole in the wall....so whatever there. I don't really care to know either but apparently you think I recorded your opinions or something....not the case. I'm sure you may have disagreed with me on something somewhere, but apparently it wasn't that big a deal to me.

I also said a few were decent, but I just wouldn't pay to see them. I've seen NIN quite a few times and lived not too far from Reznor's first studio in NOLA for a while. Some good stuff. I've heard a bit of Radiohead, but they just don't do it for me...although I do like some of their tunes too. I'd see Jack White before either of those 2 in a NY minute, but others may not feel the same way. It's all good you little whiney...;)

Glad you let it all out, good for you....sounds like you needed that. :rolleyes:
Well isn't that convenient for you, I could understand why you would want to suppress the memory.

Maybe this will "lodge" it. Garrett Sickels, is still living a precarious NFL life, jumping from practice squad to practice squad (three different teams thus far) as I presciently predicted.

Compare that to Mike Hull, Grant Haley or Brendan Mahon. All 3 are expected to make their respective 53 man rosters.

Glad to help.

Well isn't that convenient for you, I could understand why you would want to suppress the memory.

Maybe this will "lodge" it. Garrett Sickels, is still living a precarious NFL life, jumping from practice squad to practice squad (three different teams thus far) as I presciently predicted.

Compare that to Mike Hull, Grant Haley or Brendan Mahon. All 3 are predicted to make their respective 53 man rosters.

Glad to help.

Oh so you're mad that Sickels left the NFL to try and bail out his family......so it was all about you. He didn't want to leave early for no other reason to bail out his parents. Yeah...what an awful human he was. I don't recall anyone stating he will be a high draft pick but those that knew why he was doing this understood why. LOL, you're butt hurt over that....get some thicker skin, honestly. It was his life and choice...not yours. I mean he can never go back to school now either...that door is somehow shut. :rolleyes:

Oh so you're mad that Sickels left the NFL to try and bail out his family......so it was all about you. He didn't want to leave early for no other reason to bail out his parents. Yeah...what an awful human he was. I don't recall anyone stating he will be a high draft pick but those that knew why he was doing this understood why. LOL, you're butt hurt over that....get some thicker skin, honestly. It was his life and choice...not yours. I mean he can never go back to school now either...that door is somehow shut. :rolleyes:

Oh you do remember......actually, quite well as noted above. I would say better than I do....(which makes you a liar). But then again you should, people remember when they get bit, especially when they're taken to school in the process.

Oh and by the way, Tool, his parents are still bankrupt due to their own idiotic actions. It's not like anyone was dying of cancer or anything. You and he share something in common, you're not grown men.

It wasn't about going back to school, it was about waiting for the right opportunity to present itself which he obviously didn't do. Couldn't see it then and can't see it now. You can't see anything that's not right in front of your face.

Such a tool.

Last edited:

Compare that to Mike Hull, Grant Haley or Brendan Mahon. All 3 are expected to make their respective 53 man rosters.

Glad to help.

Lets try and keep this about music. That seems to be divisive enough.:rolleyes:

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Oh you do remember......actually, quite well as noted above. I would say better than I do....(which makes you a liar). But then again you should, people remember when they get bit, especially when they're taken to school in the process.

Oh and by the way, Tool, his parents are still bankrupt due to their own idiotic actions. It's not like anyone was dying of cancer or anything. You and he share something in common, you're not grown men.

It wasn't about going back to school, it was about waiting for the right opportunity to present itself which he obviously didn't do. Couldn't see it then and can't see it now. You can't see anything that's not right in front of your face.

Such a tool.
You're right, I don't see it still...nor do I really care. The young man tried to help out his family, but you were so butt hurt over him leaving PSU...you got angry and still are apparently I guess. I remember him leaving and the discussions, but honestly....you're pretty forgettable as a poster...which is a good thing. Sorry I got stuck in your head apparently over this topic....it's ok...I think Sickels will get by in life.

I too am shocked by some of the mentions in this thread.

My list is a work in progress.

1) Peter Frampton
2) Bob Seger

Both because they were played too much back in the day. I still feel that way about Seger. Most of the bands I dislike, I never listened to. Couldn't escape these two.

Bon Jovi - the worst band that made it big commercially and made into the Rock HoF (would say it's a travesty, but the HoF is just a popularity contest); didn't write most of their big hits (don't like a single one musically) and Bon Jovi's voice is just grating.

Genesis/Phil Collins - simply cheesy songs (and yet, really like Pete's work).

Maroon 5 - can't stand the lead singer's whiny. nasally voice.

Not bands, but...

Madonna - again, has an annoying, nasally voice (w/o much range) and her songs (despite having had many of the top song writers) are boring musically or not catchy (at the very least, want that).

MJackson
- likewise his songs don't do much for me and couldn't stand his repeated his high pitched squeals and other sounds he would constantly add for effect.

Wasn't a huge Prince fan, but out of the 3, there were some songs I enjoy and have to respect his ability to play the guitar.

I forgot to put Bruce on my list. I like some of his songs but for the most part I think he stinks. It’s really his voice I hate. not as bad as Bob Dylan, but close

Yeah, Bruce is lacking in the voice area and can understand if people don't like his early/pre-Born in the USA stuff, but Tunnel of Love is just a great album all around.

Red Hot Chili Peppers
Nickelback
Creed

Almost everything that was happening between 1996 and 2001, which were the dark years for American rock

I know that music is really subjective but INMO I thought some of the stuff being done from that time period 1996-2001 was really good. Granted I'm an Alternative Guy and some of this is European but some good stuff..

Some more good alt-indie stuff during that time period.

The Jesus & Mary Chain
Camper van Beethoven
Pixies/Frank Black
The BoDeans
Belly
Sugar/Bob Mould

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT