ADVERTISEMENT

Five bands that are (were) popular that you can't stand.

BWI does not have enough disk space to hold my list. And I am not going to waste my time compiling one.

I'll add almost anyone who comes out of one of the television contest shows (American Idol, The Voice). If you can't write music or play an instrument then go sing on a cruise ship.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
If you want to give a little synopsis of why , go for it.. Mine are

2: Metallica. Never liked them and then they went and played with an orchestra. Do you headbang to a orchestra?

Ask Wagner (spoiler: yes, yes you do).

I'll add almost anyone who comes out of one of the television contest shows (American Idol, The Voice). If you can't write music or play an instrument then go sing on a cruise ship.

I would tend to agree noting Kelly Clarkson is a talent (even if she doesn't write her own stuff). And Grace VanderWaal proves that these shows can work - she won America's Got Talent at 12 by performing her own songs.

Red Hot Chili Peppers
Nickelback
Creed

Almost everything that was happening between 1996 and 2001, which were the dark years for American rock

I know that music is really subjective but INMO I thought some of the stuff being done from that time period 1996-2001 was really good. Granted I'm an Alternative Guy and some of this is European but some good stuff.
Bush
Beck
Marylin Manson
Cake
Soul Coughing
Guided by Voices
Tori Amos
Weezer
Oasis
Elliot Smith
Muse
The Faint
The Bravery
Soundgarden
Blind Mellon
NIN...

While I loathe those shows, you're painting with too broad a brush.
Any singer who doesn't play an instrument or write songs, or just the ones that come off the Voice?
How about a guitarist who doesn't sing or write songs?
There's nothing wrong with doing one thing well.... Musician and song writer are not necessarily the same skill set.

Nah man, there's some good stuff out there right now, just not the clowns listed above.
1. Alabama Shakes
2. Nathaniel Rateliff and The Night Sweats
3. Leon Bridges
4. Odesza
5. Kendrick Lamar
6. Amos Lee
7. Greta Van Fleet
8. Chris Stapleton
9. Just about every EDM dj not named Martin Garrix
10. Tyler the Creator
11. Logic
12. Cudi, even though it's been a minute since he's out out anything as good as before.
13. Jack White

In sure I'm missing a few but the above are who came to my mind first .

There has been some excellent stuff out lately.
Absolutely agree about Leon Bridges. Both his albums are excellent.
Some thats on my ipod/phone...
The Killers
Portugal the Man
Imagine Dragons
Arcade Fire (love their new album)
Kings of Leon
Black Keys
Alice Merton
Beck (Love his new album too)
Alt-J

Kind of surprising responses.

Time will tell, but I can't see how Prince, Metallica, Nirvana and Pink Floyd don't hold up among the best musical artists of the last 50 years.

1) Dead and Phish (two iterations of the same thing). The "Dude" will not like this but there's a reason hippies didn't exist until the 60's......survival. Endless droning acid trip. (Sorry Bear).
2) Collective Soul and Counting Crows.......I actually liked these bands at one time. Then I realized I was clinically depressed. See bands 1a and 1b and stop self medicating.
3) Spin Doctors.....yeah, just no.
4) Any hair band ever. The 80's were fun but produced nothing of substance.

Last edited:
I know that music is really subjective but INMO I thought some of the stuff being done from that time period 1996-2001 was really good. Granted I'm an Alternative Guy and some of this is European but some good stuff.
Bush
Beck
Marylin Manson
Cake
Soul Coughing
Guided by Voices
Tori Amos
Weezer
Oasis
Elliot Smith
Muse
The Faint
The Bravery
Soundgarden
Blind Mellon
NIN...

I got to speak to Marylin Manson once when I walked him to his limo!

Very well spoken and educated I tell you!

Time will tell, but I can't see how Prince, Metallica, Nirvana and Pink Floyd don't hold up among the best musical artists of the last 50 years.

1) Dead and Phish (two iterations of the same thing). The "Dude" will not like this but there's a reason hippies didn't exist until the 60's......survival. Endless droning acid trip.
2) Collective Soul and Counting Crows.......I actually liked these bands at one time. Then I realized I was clinically depressed. See bands 1a and 1b and stop self medicating.

How can you say that about Warrant sir?

They produced one of the very best music videos ever!

LOL!!

1) Dead and Phish (two iterations of the same thing). The "Dude" will not like this but there's a reason hippies didn't exist until the 60's......survival. Endless droning acid trip. (Sorry Bear).

I guess it depends on who you were listening too.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I guess it depends on who you were listening too.
Yeah, sure, but those 4 were all universally accepted standard setters of their eras. So even if you don't understand it or didn't grow up with it, you can see why.

Of course, some think of the Dead the same way. I really tried, just don't see the brilliance there at all. I hate Country Western but I still can see why people like Garth Brooks and Florida Georgia line. It's at least fun.

Last edited:
Bush
Beck
Marylin Manson
Cake
Soul Coughing
Guided by Voices
Tori Amos
Weezer
Oasis
Elliot Smith
Muse
The Faint
The Bravery
Soundgarden
Blind Mellon
NIN...
This was my musical revolutionary period as well. Most of my favorite bands came from this era.

There doesn't seem to be any good current rock bands I'm aware of, so, I listen to a lot of R&B and selective rap. People may hate the messaging, it's definitely adults only--but guys like Kendrick Lamar, Kanye West, Jay Z and Eminem are the equivalent of modern-day poets. There will be college level courses taught on those acts 30 or 40 years from now.

It's basically Maya Angelou set to hip hop beats. Great stuff if you understand it.

Last edited:
This was my musical revolutionary period as well. Most of my favorite bands came from this era.

There don't seem to be any good current rock bands I'm aware of. So now, I listen to a lot of R&B and selective rap People hate the messaging, it's definitely adults only--but guys like Kendrick Lamar, Kanye West, Jay Z and Eminem are the equivalent of modern-day poets. There will be college level courses taught on those acts 30 or 40 years from now.

It's basically Maya Angelou set to hip hop beats. Great stuff if you understand it.

Right now Donald Glover as Childish Gambino is killing it.
I think Kanye lost it after he married a Kardashian.

Kinda like Canada in general

I hate to diss Canada but I have noticed that a lot of the bands from there are bland.

But I was web surfing once and I came across a political discussion show and even though it was a contentious topic it was civil and the host made sure everybody got a chance without being interrupted and I thought "What the heck is this, I've never seen anything like this before" and it turned out it was a Canadian show (The Agenda). So Canada is bland but at least they have have political shows that don't become shout-fests like the political shows in the US.

I got to speak to Marylin Manson once when I walked him to his limo!

Very well spoken and educated I tell you!

Manson has always been a smart, well-spoken guy. He's still putting out pretty good music too. My sister saw him in Pittsburgh at the AE Amphitheater a few years ago and she said it was weird seeing him in such a small venue after playing places like the Civic Arena. Of course, I saw them at the Crowbar at Penn State and that was really, really small. Full circle I guess....

Manson has always been a smart, well-spoken guy. He's still putting out pretty good music too. My sister saw him in Pittsburgh at the AE Amphitheater a few years ago and she said it was weird seeing him in such a small venue after playing places like the Civic Arena. Of course, I saw them at the Crowbar at Penn State and that was really, really small. Full circle I guess....
For as long as I live I will never forget Manson's Stern appearances. Classic brilliance.

I hate to diss Canada but I have noticed that a lot of the bands from there are bland.

But I was web surfing once and I came across a political discussion show and even though it was a contentious topic it was civil and the host made sure everybody got a chance without being interrupted and I thought "What the heck is this, I've never seen anything like this before" and it turned out it was a Canadian show (The Agenda). So Canada is bland but at least they have have political shows that don't become shout-fests like the political shows in the US.

Neil Young, Arcade Fire, Rush, Joni Mitchell, Barenaked Ladies, Alanis Morissette, and Avril Lavigne are all Canadian and pretty good.

Right now Donald Glover as Childish Gambino is killing it.
I think Kanye lost it after he married a Kardashian.
Give his new album a chance. I think he's regained something. A bit more mature but there's something there. Gotta love the "I hate being bi-polar" title. Like the album he's showing some emotional maturity.

Reactions: TheGLOV and BBrown
For as long as I live I will never forget Manson's Stern appearances. Classic brilliance.

It's interesting watching him do his thing these days - still pretty edgy, but out of the limelight. Has tons of extremely famous and influential friends. He's also the godfather of Johnny Depp's daughter, Lily Rose. I remember at one point he was writing an Alice in Wonderland movie, working on an art book, and collaborating with filmmaker Alejandro Jodorowsky. Most of those things never came to fruition but I would buy a 'tell all' from him in a second. Dude has tons of dirt - on everyone it seems.

aef6cd0bbc23bcd25914e85354e39b56.jpg

Painting of Rose McGowan

art-byanyothername025.jpg

Poster for Alice in Wonderland film that never happened....

ph_poster1.jpg

Give his new album a chance. I think he's regained something. A bit more mature but there's something there. Gotta love the "I hate being bi-polar" title. Like the album he's showing some emotional maturity.

Ughhhhh......Poopity Scoop?

True but The Stanford Band is a bunch of Dbags and The USC band is a bunch of entitled DBags.
Haven't read the entire stream but I can't stand Chicago, all loud horns and blare. Someone mentioned Styx, now I liked them and Come Sail Away is a Fabulous song, at least in my opinion.

There has been some excellent stuff out lately.
Absolutely agree about Leon Bridges. Both his albums are excellent.
Some thats on my ipod/phone...
The Killers
Portugal the Man
Imagine Dragons
Arcade Fire (love their new album)
Kings of Leon
Black Keys
Alice Merton
Beck (Love his new album too)
Alt-J

I dig Alt-J and Arcade Fire a lot. I'm not huge on Portugal the Man or Imagine Dragons, but I certainly can't deny their talent and ability to earworm you. Great list, it appears we have similar tastes. I'll add that I really like Lord Huron too.

Of course he also wrote this:

"Head of the class and she just want to swallowship" --Mr West

Haha.

Hell, there's a whole other thread on just favorite lyrics, but it won't last past the second post.

I dig Alt-J and Arcade Fire a lot. I'm not huge on Portugal the Man or Imagine Dragons, but I certainly can't deny their talent and ability to earworm you. Great list, it appears we have similar tastes. I'll add that I really like Lord Huron too.

I'm not familiar with Lord Huron, at least the name, so I'll give that a listen. Thanks.
There is actually a really great FM radio station here in the Balto. area called WTMD, its towson university station. Its very good, reminds me a lot of the old WHFS from DC/Annapolis.
https://wtmd.org/radio/

I know, I know. Push through it. He has issues but the brilliance is still there in parts.

Hey, at least he didn't quit or sell out like Dre.

Dre is still one of the top producers in rap noting I think Kanye is up there too (Pharrell being my favorite). As for selling out, I don't blame Dre for the Beats thing and going corporate. No different from Kanye thinking he's a fashion designer (which I think he believes happens by osmosis). Jay Z is a guy who everyone thinks is a great rapper but his best skill is getting the best producers and guest stars on his stuff. I think Kendrick Lamar is the one guy at another level musically right now in rap (with Gambino sort of playing in a lot of genres).

Kanye is interesting and still musically progressive. But, he's all over the place. He said George Bush doesn't care about black people on live TV and then says slavery was a choice. He's easily manipulated I think and craves controversy. I LOVED everything he did up until Life of Pablo. I haven't heard much of Ye - will have to give it a shot.

yeezy-presentation.jpg

Dre is still one of the top producers in rap noting I think Kanye is up there too (Pharrell being my favorite). As for selling out, I don't blame Dre for the Beats thing and going corporate. No different from Kanye thinking he's a fashion designer (which I think he believes happens by osmosis). Jay Z is a guy who everyone thinks is a great rapper but his best skill is getting the best producers and guest stars on his stuff. I think Kendrick Lamar is the one guy at another level musically right now in rap (with Gambino sort of playing in a lot of genres).

Kanye is interesting and still musically progressive. But, he's all over the place. He said George Bush doesn't care about black people on live TV and then says slavery was a choice. He's easily manipulated I think and craves controversy. I LOVED everything he did up until Life of Pablo. I haven't heard much of Ye - will have to give it a shot.

yeezy-presentation.jpg
OK that was a lot. Probably a cheap shot at Dre but the whole Apple thing bothered me. It still does. Kanye is mental, everyone knows that. I guess I see Kanye's walk more as a natural progression. A crazy one, sure but who cares? The only thing that counts is that's he's brutally honest about it. You have to separate the political here. It has nothing to do with the artistic side.

I don't think I agree with you in regards to Jay Z. His ability to paint graphic pictures with his poetry is the real gift. The imagery is vibrant.

His hooks were what brought most fans in but his depth kept them.

Bring 'em a lot closer to the block where they pop toasters

And they live with they moms, got dropped roadsters
From botched robberies, (bleep)_ crouched over
Mami's knocked up ‘cause she wasn't watched over
Knocked down by some clown
When child support knocked—"No, he's not around."

Now, how that sound to ya? Jot it down

.Just read a magazine that f'ed up my day
How you rate music that thugs with nothin' relate to it?

I help them see they way through it—not you
Can't step in my pants, can't walk in my shoes
Bet everything you worth, you'll lose your tie, your shirt

OK that was a lot. Probably a cheap shot at Dre but the whole Apple thing bothered me. It still does. Kanye is mental, everyone knows that. I guess I see Kanye's walk more as a natural progression. A crazy one, sure but who cares? The only thing that counts is that's he's brutally honest about it. You have to separate the political here. It has nothing to do with the artistic side.

I don't think I agree with you in regards to Jay Z. His ability to paint graphic pictures with his poetry is the real gift. The imagery is vibrant.

His hooks were what brought most fans in but his depth kept them.

Bring 'em a lot closer to the block where they pop toasters

And they live with they moms, got dropped roadsters
From botched robberies, (bleep)_ crouched over
Mami's knocked up ‘cause she wasn't watched over
Knocked down by some clown
When child support knocked—"No, he's not around."

Now, how that sound to ya? Jot it down

.Just read a magazine that f'ed up my day
How you rate music that thugs with nothin' relate to it?

I help them see they way through it—not you
Can't step in my pants, can't walk in my shoes
Bet everything you worth, you'll lose your tie, your shirt

Let me clarify that I like Jay Z a lot - I played the hell out of the Black Album. Having said that, you can see the huge disparity in technical skill when he collaborates with guys like Eminem.

Kanye is honest probably to a fault. But, he's not as big a talent as he thinks he is.

Have to agree to disagree - Jay Z takes plays way too loose with rhyme structure for my taste while Eminiem, regardless of whatever the content is, keeps his rhymes extremely tight and focused. Again, I like Jay Z but if pressed I bet he couldn't freestyle two verses.

ADVERTISEMENT