ADVERTISEMENT

Five bands that are (were) popular that you can't stand.

Gnat91

Dec 28, 2016
Jacksonville FL.
If you want to give a little synopsis of why , go for it.. Mine are

1: Guns n Roses. Music wasn't bad until axle started singing. He sounds like somebody is strangling a cat.
2: Metallica. Never liked them and then they went and played with an orchestra. Do you headbang to a orchestra?
3: The Beatles ... They're just horrible.
4: Aerosmith . See above.
5: The Eurythmics, or anything Annie Lenox. Changing the radio station every time I hear her voice.

Honorable mention : KISS. They were horrible but at least they didn't pretend to be in it for anything other than money.

ABBA
Spice Girls
Green Day
The Dave Clark Five (maybe the worst ever)

Disagree on Annie Lenox though. She’s a bit avant-garde but really talented IMHO. Maybe an acquired taste.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gnat91
Led Zeppelin-bombastic "blues" rip offs
Nirvana - they were loud- and bad
The Dead (and Phish, too) who needs unending jams that go nowhere?
The WHO
The Beach Boys- one album would have done it, boys
The Beatles- the studio is not where it's at, fellas- do it live or don't do it at all

yeah, that's more than five, sue me

oh- and ALL of the hair bands

1. Agree
2. Agree
3. Seriously?
4. See #3
5. Meh...

Hanson
Springsteen (same reason as Hanson)
Van Halen (Eddie can play, but the dude is almost as deep as a puddle)
Foreigner (blech!)
Journey (double blech!)
Black Eyed Peas (Stoooopid)

Reactions: BBrown

1: Guns n Roses. Music wasn't bad until axle started singing. He sounds like somebody is strangling a cat.
2: Metallica. Never liked them and then they went and played with an orchestra. Do you headbang to a orchestra?
5: The Eurythmics, or anything Annie Lenox. Changing the radio station every time I hear her voice.

Honorable mention : KISS. They were horrible but at least they didn't pretend to be in it for anything other than money.

U2 - I guess i just don't get it.

1. Beatles
2. Greatful Dead
3. Dave Matthews
4. Maroon 5
5. Aerosmith

Great offseason thread

The Grateful Dead - Jerry Garcia’s endless (and pointless) noodling makes me want to kill hippies

Rascal Flatts - the fact that these megadouches are from Columbus is icing on the cake

Foghat

Styx

Warrant

Reactions: Gnat91 and ram2020
Jethro Tull -- One song and I'm good for a decade or two.
Moody Blues -- the Xanax of the 70's and 80's
Prince -- I tried. I just don't get it.
Foreigner -- I did a catering event for them long ago. They had a food fight.
All those annoying Boy Bands

Pink Floyd.

If anything they do comes on the radio, my fingers cant get to the button fast enough.

Reactions: IIVI
As a fan of punk and heavy metal, i know most of mine are probably less popular in general, but the ones that standout for me:

The Clash
Green Day (after Insomniac)
Korn
Ozzy solo (Black Sabbath should've erased their entire Ozzy-sung catalog and re-recorded it with Dio)
Bad Brains

REO Speedwagon
Spin Doctors
Four Non Blondes
Dave Matthews Band
Any of the 1980s-'90s European techno-pop groups

Also, not a band, but Michael Bolton

Bon Jovi. When the 80’s ended, I foolishly thought I wouldn’t hear much from them anymore.
Green Day. Obnoxious punk retreads. Take off, eh ?
John Mayer. Looks narcoleptic. Maybe his affected singing style ruined his voice.
Smashing Pumpkins. Billy Corgan has the most annoying voice in music. Audio equivalent of erasing a chalkbord with a cheese grater.
Pink Floyd. I expect villification for this. Hated The Wall. Mopey, complaining, self pitying tripe.

Last edited:

What are you’re top 5 best?

Most likely, your five favorite bands.

Reactions: wentzel25
1. Agree
2. Agree
3. Seriously?
4. See #3
5. Meh...

Hanson
Springsteen (same reason as Hanson)
Van Halen (Eddie can play, but the dude is almost as deep as a puddle)
Foreigner (blech!)
Journey (double blech!)
Black Eyed Peas (Stoooopid)
No offense, but isn’t the whole point of being in a band is to play and play well? If it is, then EVH certainly hits that mark. I’m not expecting to discuss War and Peace with him, so I really don’t care how deep he is. I just want to hear him play his guitar better than anyone else on the planet, which he does most of the time.

My current five best in no particular order :
Steely Dan. Nobody will ever be able to make music like this again.
Warren Zevon. Genius.
Graham Parker ( with and without the Rumour ). People might know him from This is Forty.
The Band. Check out their live performance with Van Morrison of Caravan. This is what rock should be.
Dwight Yoakum.

1. The Police and Sting (2 for1)
2. U2 - No Boner here
3. Journey - to the center of the Earth and remain there.
4. Foreigner - maybe Pink Floyd can build a wall to keep this group out.
5. Pink Floyd.

1. Rush

ADVERTISEMENT