ADVERTISEMENT

Five bands that are (were) popular that you can't stand.

You do realize the best Genesis music was before Steve Hackett and Peter Gabriel left the band, lets say before 1980?

Duke album released in 1980 had the last remnants of the old Genesis but unfortunately included the influence of Phil’s writing.

Wow, this is pretty depressing. I would never put seriously good musicians on this list even if I did not like their music. Yes, Rush, Pink Floyd, LZ? The Grateful Dead has some awesome song-writing even if you can't stand the singing and noodling. I am fine with people putting Phish because they can't sing or write songs. Personally I love some of their jams and their complete commitment to weirdness (why I also love Zappa) plus they never sold many albums. Truly, this list should belong to groups who can't sing really, can't write decent lyrics, not genre defining, not great musicians, and (most importantly) take themselves seriously because they have millions of sold records.

1. Kiss
2. Creed
3. Limp Bizkit
4. Nickelback
5. Black Eyed Peas

Reactions: Kmase21
For a brief period of time, they were a huge band.

How about Def Leopard as well.

Thanks for the reminder ... Def Leppard (not "Def Leopard") was my favorite band as a pre-teen, so I just put some "Stagefright" on, and I'll follow that up with "Let It Go" and "Saturday Night." If you don't like those songs, you're not human.

Cool woman ... cool eyes ... you got me ... hypnotized ... so head down ... get rhythm ... stop your stalling ... and your bitchin ... I'm rock steady ... still shaking ... I'm ready ... for the takin ... so make your move ... make me .... and get ready for ... the big C ... let it rock, let it roll, let it go

Nothing but class there ...

Reactions: LionHoya and sss
If you want to give a little synopsis of why , go for it.. Mine are

1: Guns n Roses. Music wasn't bad until axle started singing. He sounds like somebody is strangling a cat.
2: Metallica. Never liked them and then they went and played with an orchestra. Do you headbang to a orchestra?
3: The Beatles ... They're just horrible.
4: Aerosmith . See above.
5: The Eurythmics, or anything Annie Lenox. Changing the radio station every time I hear her voice.

Honorable mention : KISS. They were horrible but at least they didn't pretend to be in it for anything other than money.

1. Led Zeppelin
2. Boston
3. Led Zeppelin
4. Queen
5. Jimmy Hendrix

Reactions: scotties
Thanks for the reminder ... Def Leppard (not "Def Leopard") was my favorite band as a pre-teen, so I just put some "Stagefright" on, and I'll follow that up with "Let It Go" and "Saturday Night." If you don't like those songs, you're not human.

Cool woman ... cool eyes ... you got me ... hypnotized ... so head down ... get rhythm ... stop your stalling ... and your bitchin ... I'm rock steady ... still shaking ... I'm ready ... for the takin ... so make your move ... make me .... and get ready for ... the big C ... let it rock, let it roll, let it go

Auto correct, my bad.

1. The Beatles
  2. Pink Floyd
  3. Led Zepplin
  4. Grateful Dead
  5. Michael Jackson
Just never got the attraction of the first four and I refuse to listen to a pedophile no matter how talented he may have been.

Reactions: Gnat91 and TheGLOV
This thread disparages some of my favorite groups and is depressing me. Let's be a bit more positive and list our most favorite artists. Mine:

1. PSY
2. The Traveling Wilburys
3. Yoko Ono
4. The Ohio State University Men's Tenor Choir
5. Cody Simpson

Reactions: TheGLOV

Was a great album. High N Dry was a great song too.
Saturday, I feel right, I've been drinking all day...
Used to really like Bringig' on the heartbreak as well, until it was rediscovered and played non-stop. Then the other albums came. It's funny seeing them live on TV, the guitar player acts like he is rocking out playing one note every 3 seconds or so.

This is like everyone listing their favorite color
And then arguing over it

Better title is “what music genre defined your self imagine in high school and now be defensive about it”

Reactions: PSU87

Def Leppard is the best five man nine arm band in history.

1: Guns n Roses. Music wasn't bad until axle started singing. He sounds like somebody is strangling a cat.
2: Metallica. Never liked them and then they went and played with an orchestra. Do you headbang to a orchestra?
5: The Eurythmics, or anything Annie Lenox. Changing the radio station every time I hear her voice.

Honorable mention : KISS. They were horrible but at least they didn't pretend to be in it for anything other than money.
You lost all credibility when you included the Beatles on your list.

Rush- sorry, I just can't stand Geddy Lee's voice
Nirvana- Smells Like Teen Spirit? Smells like shit to me. I get better melodies when I throw my guitar down the stairs
U2- Just never got it.
REM- every one of their songs sounds exactly the same to me
Yes- every one of their songs sounds exactly the same to me

Honorable mention- any band formed after about 1997

My current five best in no particular order :
Steely Dan. Nobody will ever be able to make music like this again.
Warren Zevon. Genius.
Graham Parker ( with and without the Rumour ). People might know him from This is Forty.
The Band. Check out their live performance with Van Morrison of Caravan. This is what rock should be.
Dwight Yoakum.
My current five best in no particular order :
Steely Dan. Nobody will ever be able to make music like this again.
Warren Zevon. Genius.
Graham Parker ( with and without the Rumour ). People might know him from This is Forty.
The Band. Check out their live performance with Van Morrison of Caravan. This is what rock should be.
Dwight Yoakum.
I agree with you on Steely Dan. Basically 2 guys with interchangeable parts. All the interchangeable parts are always A-1. Simply brilliant and unique. They're my 2nd favorite. But my all time favorite is Chicago that is completely different than Steely Dan but equally brilliant. These 2 are heads above all other bands.

1. Bon Jovi - I’m a Jersey native,and I wish they weren’t
2. Styx - effeminate and lame
3. Supertramp - the no doubt worst popular group ever
4. Bee Gees - disco and all of its progeny should be eradicated off the face of the earth
5. Moody Blues, Steely Dan, and the Doobie Brothers (tie). What the H style were they? Pretentious overwrought crap endlessly vomited until my ears bleed.

Reactions: Ski and Gnat91
You lost all credibility when you included the Beatles on your list.
Why? As someone pointed out, this thread is almost like debating your favorite color.

Take it from somebody who has been singing and playing instruments for 45 years.... there's not much new under the sun. A lot of songs are pretty much a I-V-vi-IV progression- I can play a Beatles song and a Lady Gaga song using the Exact. Same. Chords. I could make the Lady Gaga song sound like the Beatles and the Beatles song sound like Lady Gaga (ok, bad example, I can't sing like Lady Gaga :))

Just sing it louder, or softer, or slower, or faster. Scream the lyrics (Nirvana), whine the lyrics (REM). Coax the chords from the guitar (Traveling Wilburys), beat the chords from the guitar (ACDC). Make the guitars sound like a buzz saw with lots of fuzz and effects pedals (any heavy metal band) or make them sound like the guitars themselves sound without effects (The Beach Boys).

None of it is wrong it's all just personal taste.

Reactions: Gnat91
It also proves that Journey sucks.

You may not like their music which I don't..but Steve Perry is perhaps top 2-3 in terms of greatest pure rock voices, up there with Freddie Mercury. Neal Schon was found by Santana at 17 and played in his band. Steve Smith is widely regarded as one of most gifted and versatile drummers in history, particularly by his peers. The fact is that Journey was a supergroup of elite musicians who wanted to make alot of money and they did.

Reactions: PSU87

Bee Gees
Bruce Springsteen
Any Hair Band
Any Metal Band
All Grunge Band except Soundgarden for some reason I like them.

Led Zeppelin-bombastic "blues" rip offs
Nirvana - they were loud- and bad
The Dead (and Phish, too) who needs unending jams that go nowhere?
The WHO
The Beach Boys- one album would have done it, boys
The Beatles- the studio is not where it's at, fellas- do it live or don't do it at all

yeah, that's more than five, sue me

oh- and ALL of the hair bands
I'm curious....list your 3 favorite all time bands.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT