ADVERTISEMENT

Finish 6-0 Positive Thread

Texas Lion

Aug 10, 2018
Lostgame 1 by a fluke and a coach that couldn't do math.....it happens.

Game 2 was against a program that is light years above us right now.

The season starts this weekend. We can easily run off 6 wins after seeing 2 weeks of B1G Football.

Maybe we should all follow the 1 game at a time rule and get ready for Maryland.

The season starts this weekend. We can easily run off 6 wins after seeing 2 weeks of B1G Football.

Maybe we should all follow the 1 game at a time rule and get ready for Maryland.

We didn't lose game 1 by fluke.
We lost because our QB was making terrible decisions.
The team played very poorly.
When it mattered our defense came up small.

That said, no reason we don't go 6-0 here on out.

The game game was essentially wrapped up. We out-gained Indiana by 250+ yards.

Assuming there are 6 more games (looking at Wisconsin situation.)

Yes, we made mistakes that cost us the game. I was more in the fluke mode because beside that last IU drive I think we led them in years 500+-100+, in TOP by double....usually those two things will tell the tale, thats why I called it a fluke. But you are right, fluke might be a bad word to describe it.

But it wasn’t. We lost.
Fluke would be a fumble on a run turned into a td for Indiana.

What actually happened was we were leading by 8. They went the length of the field. Scored a TD. Then a 2pt conversion.

Then in OT they won with a td and 2pt conversion.

Nothing about that is fluke.

LdN

This went from positive to bitching evaluation faster than a New York minute. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Reactions: BOSCO2 and Fac
But it wasn’t. We lost.

What actually happened was we were leading by 8. They went the length of the field. Scored a TD. Then a 2pt conversion.

LdN
There is no room for pragmatism on this board.

I'm not just hoping to finish 6(7)-0, it's my expectation. We are better than every team ahead of us and with O$U behind us and an 0-2 start we should have a sense of urgency.
Michigan certainly has the talent to beat us...and Michigan State just beat them...Iowa is not bereft of talent...and Maryland just beat Minnesota...let’s try to win one game and go from there...Indiana should show we should take nothing for granted....and then COVID is still lurking with the 21 day down time...

Michigan certainly has the talent to beat us...and Michigan State just beat them...Iowa is not bereft of talent...and Maryland just beat Minnesota...let’s try to win one game and go from there...Indiana should show we should take nothing for granted....and then COVID is still lurking with the 21 day down time...

You are right. I will try to win one game then take it from there. Good advice.

I think the point is that we had every opportunity to control that game and threw each one away. It was a fluke, IMO, but in a Murphy's Law kind of way.

I suggested in a preseason thread that PSU could start 0-2 and still finish in the top ten. At the time, I thought IU was better than they've shown. And PSU still had Journey Brown and Noah Cain. As of today, I believe it can happen, but I'm more hopeful than confident that it will.

Nobody left on the schedule scares me. However, to win out PSU has to get better. The main thing that stood out for me against OSU was that neither line really held its own. That may say more about OSU than PSU. Also, I don't think Brandon Smith is as far along as I thought he'd be. Maybe my expectations are too high. Ford needs more plays that get him in space. He's not an every down back yet. On the plus side, Dotson is becoming a very good player. Washington is going to continue to get better. The freshmen RBs look the part. PF is a stud! Pinegar seems to have corrected things. Stoudt has a cannon! Clifford may find things a little easier from here on out.

The coaches need to clean some things up and figure out how to put these players in a position to succeed. The talent is there. The balance of this season will be where Franklin and his new assistants earn their money!

Plus it isn't like our coach is taking remedial math

I appreciate the optimism but, the way the team is playing now, I think both the Iowa and Nebraska games are toss ups. I think PSU loses to Michigan.

This team has looked unprepared in the first 2 games. Some of the coaching decisions and repeated time management errors are starting to make Les Miles look like a clock management genius in comparison.

Maybe the team shows some real improvement this week to change my mind. Just judging on what we’ve seen so far, I wouldn’t bet on them running the table.

I appreciate the optimism but, the way the team is playing now, I think both the Iowa and Nebraska games are toss ups. I think PSU loses to Michigan.

This team has looked unprepared in the first 2 games. Some of the coaching decisions and repeated time management errors are starting to make Les Miles look like a clock management genius in comparison.

Maybe the team shows some real improvement this week to change my mind. Just judging on what we’ve seen so far, I wouldn’t bet on them running the table.

You think PSU loses to Michigan given the way they looked against MSU? Okay that’s your opinion. Not trying to be provocative, but what time management errors do you think the staff made against OSU?

That's the hope. There isn't a team left on the schedule we can't beat. There are also 3 games that could go either way. I'm guessing 5-3.

Reactions: psu00
But it wasn’t. We lost.

LdN
Except the fact that we had a 99% chance to win at the end but decided to gift the ball back to Indiana. So 1 out of 100 is not a fluke, it is pure luck.

Except the fact that we had a 99% chance to win at the end but decided to gift the ball back to Indiana. So 1 out of 100 is not a fluke, it is pure luck.

Totally not luck. Indiana won by driving the field scoring a td and then a 2pt conversion. Then winning in OT.

Nothing lucky or fluke about that

Reactions: bdgan
You think PSU loses to Michigan given the way they looked against MSU? Okay that’s your opinion. Not trying to be provocative, but what time management errors do you think the staff made against OSU?

How did PSU look against Indiana and OSU?
  • The game is at Michigan
  • Michigan has just as many athletes as PSU
  • PSU is playing without it's top 2 RBs (and Parsons)
  • PSU has been playing and coaching like crap
I'm not predicting a loss. I'm just not willing to predict a win because Michigan had a bad game vs. MSU.

Totally not luck. Indiana won by driving the field scoring a td and then a 2pt conversion. Then winning in OT.

You are entitled to your opinion but just curious how you would categorize the sequence of events where PSU has the ball at the IU 14 and proceeds to score instead of bleeding the clock? That is normal or really smart play by IU? Not an anomaly or odd situation at all? You would expect that same outcome repeatedly then?

You are entitled to your opinion but just curious how you would categorize the sequence of events where PSU has the ball at the IU 14 and proceeds to score instead of bleeding the clock? That is normal or really smart play by IU? Not an anomaly or odd situation at all? You would expect that same outcome repeatedly then?

How did Indiana win by fluke if they drove the field scored a touchdown then scored a 2pt conversion.

Then in OT after we scored a td and xp they scored a td and 2pt to win.

You think that is all a fluke?

LdN

How did Indiana win by fluke if they drove the field scored a touchdown then scored a 2pt conversion.

Then in OT after we scored a td and xp they scored a td and 2pt to win.

You think that is all a fluke?

LdN
The fluke is that we shouldn't have scored to allow them to be in that situation. Moving forward, you can bet teams are telling their players to hit the turf to run out the clock when they're leading by just a single point.

The ending was mismanaged. If we would have played it out the way it should have been played out, we take a knee and win the football game.

Instead you give the other team the ball with a shot to tie you, when they shouldn't have had the opportunity.

Get the first down. Get out of there with a win.

The fluke is that we shouldn't have scored to allow them to be in that situation. Moving forward, you can bet teams are telling their players to hit the turf to run out the clock when they're leading by just a single point.

The ending was mismanaged. If we would have played it out the way it should have been played out, we take a knee and win the football game.

Instead you give the other team the ball with a shot to tie you, when they shouldn't have had the opportunity.

Get the first down. Get out of there with a win.
Exactly, definition of a fluke is something that is odd and you would not expect to have happen again.

But if some PSU fans feel better thinking IU totally outplayed us and are a better team that could consistently beat us if we played 10 times then go right ahead if that makes you feel good.

OSU is not “light years” above us. They just have Justin Fields if they had someone of Clifford’s caliber it would have been a different game.

Team quit on Franklin

Penn State also made every mistake in the book...some multiple times. There’s nothing flukey about those repetitive mistakes.

By this logic, Penn State’s 1986 Natty was a fluke. Sheesh.

Reactions: LionDeNittany
I think it can be done. But if we have a few injuries on the DL and if Clifford makes a terrible decision or two in each game, we could also be 3-5 in a heartbeat.

on BTN they said that there have been 366 games (do not recall since when) that a team won when they outgained opponent by over 275 yards, and 1 game that was lost that way (i.e. PSU vs Indiana).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT