ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s Get To It - Score Predictions for Saturday!

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
I’ll lead off with some thoughts..
1. PSU narrowly wins the turnover battle, 2-1.
2. The PSU run game is more effective than anyone imagined, with both KA & NS exceeding 75 yards.
3. Tre Wallace is offensive MVP with 8 catches for 96 yards.
4. Kalen King follows MH3 all over the field, limiting him to 4 rec for 49 yards.
5. Abdul Carter shows out with 2 sacks and is a disruptive force throughout the game.
6. Curtis Jacobs is the consistent veteran presence, leading the team with 9 tackles.

Final: PSU 24, tOSU 20

WE ARE!!!

I’ll lead off with some thoughts..
1. PSU narrowly wins the turnover battle, 2-1.
2. The PSU run game is more effective than anyone imagined, with both KA & NS exceeding 75 yards.
3. Tre Wallace is offensive MVP with 8 catches for 96 yards.
4. Kalen King follows MH3 all over the field, limiting him to 4 rec for 49 yards.
5. Abdul Carter shows out with 2 sacks and is a disruptive force throughout the game.
6. Curtis Jacobs is the consistent veteran presence, leading the team with 9 tackles.

Final: PSU 24, tOSU 20

WE ARE!!!
O$U-21
PSU - 9

24-20 good guys.

Whoever wins the TO battle wins this game. McCord throws a pick and a strip sack lead to points.

Nits hold a lead for long periods of the game - OSU struggles to run the ball which allows for the pass rush to predict and attack on throwing downs, leading to 4 sacks and the 2 TOs.

Harrison single handily keeps OSU in it for long stretches of the game. Manny mixes it up leaving King on an island and giving him help over the top.

Allar manages the game well with no major mistakes. Leads one long efficient drive of 10 plays for a TD. Wallace leads the team in catches. Run game doesn’t blow the doors off but gets the job done with 130 yards between Allen and Singleton.

OSU has the ball deep in their own territory with 1:30 and a chance to win - giving PSU fans nightmare flashbacks of past blown leads. But the defense gets the stop on a 4th and long to end the game at mid field.

Last edited:
24-20 good guys.

Whoever wins the TO battle wins this game. McCord throws a pick and a strip sack lead to points.

Nits hold a lead for long periods of the game - OSU struggles to run the ball which allows for the pass rush to predict and attack on throwing downs, leading to 4 sacks and the 2 TOs.

Harrison single handily keeps OSU in it for long stretches of the game. Manny mixes it up leaving King on an island and giving him help over the top.

Allar manages the game well with no major mistakes. Leads one long efficient drive of 10 plays for a TD. Wallace leads the team in catches. Run game doesn’t blow the doors off but gets the job done with 130 yards between Allen and Singleton.

OSU has the ball deep in their own territory with 1:30 and a chance to tie - giving PSU fans nightmare flashbacks of past blown leads. But the defense gets the stop on a 4th and long to end the game at mid field.
I like this. If PSU wins this game it will look something like this. PSU has to win turnovers and not give up easy scores, esp. in the 2nd half when the D will get tired. Harrison is uncoverable but the secondary can't let him get behind them and they have to tackle well. They need to make him earn his 10-catch 150-yard day.

14-10 Penn State. This should very similar to Ohio State-Notre Dame. Hopefully we come up with a stop at the end. The only thing that would truly surprise me is either team getting blown out.

14-10 Penn State. This should very similar to Ohio State-Notre Dame. Hopefully we come up with a stop at the end. The only thing that would truly surprise me is either team getting blown out.
I think our chances to blow them out are better than them blowing us out. Our D is too deep and good. Hearing their top CB Denzel Burke is Questionable.

I think our chances to blow them out are better than them blowing us out. Our D is too deep and good. Hearing their top CB Denzel Burke is Questionable.
The only way a blowout happens is I'd one of the QBs isn't ready for thus type of game IMO. McCord has been tested though easily could have been picked a couple times on that final drive. Allar hasn't but I haven't seen any major concerns that he'll force throws. Going to be interesting

OSU 14
PSU 13

Lack of playmakers at WR
Allar’s had accuracy issues in the road games
RBs have been unable to break long runs
Mental hurdle of beating OSU/Mich

Hope they prove me wrong.
Those are all valid concerns. Some of that has to change for us to win

OSU 20
PSU 13
Penn State’s offense will struggle to move the football.
Two additional points:
- I tend to be a “glass darn near empty” kind of guy on the weeks of big games.
- Historically, people could make a fortune looking at my game predictions and betting the exact opposite. (I never wager so much as a dime on sports events for this very reason.)

PSU 20
OSU 14

We win the turnover battle 3-2 as each QB throws a pick. Our D line forces two sack fumbles/strip sacks on McCord. He is not mobile and Diaz knows that. He will BLITZ and PRESSURE the hell out of McCord on every drop back, even if it means leaving Marvin Harrison one on one with King at times. Our D line will take advantage of the blitzes. We lead 20-7, but OSU gets a TD to make it a one score game late and they force a three and out. OSU get the ball back with about three mins left and they drive the field to our 10 yard line, but the defense gets a sack and forces two incompletions to end the game!!! Chop is MVP with 3 sacks and a forced fumble!!!

PSU 38
OSU 28

I think (translate - really hope) that the staff has been holding back a ton of stuff for this game. All our wins were easy, even with slow starts and methodical offense. I am worried this team hasn't faced any adversity.

More random thoughts... Time for the whole playbook. Keep away from using too many gimmick plays. Use short passes to supplement a lack of running. And use the tight ends a lot. Need to come out quick and score at least a fg in the first couple possessions.

Our pass defense, for the first time, will be tested. Harrison is a really great WR. We don't know if WR2 will play but we know 3 and beyond are capable. We know McCord has done a nice job and performed well in south bend. While being outplayed for most of the game, they played well down the stretch to win it in extreme pressure. We also don't know who will be at RB but, again, all are capable.

When we are on offense, their defense has played really great. They held ND, a good but not great offense, to 14. Again, the best defense we will have played, to date, by a long shot.

I am hopeful our talented secondary can keep the passing game reasonable. Can tOSU mount a sustained running attack? On offense, can we sustain a running game? Will Allar be shaken in his first truly hostile environment?

I really think we are the better team on a neutral site. But I am concerned how Allar will perform in front of that crowd, one that was in his back yard when he grew up and where most of his HS friends are going to college.

I am going against my heart and saying 23-20 Buckeyes. I think we have a problem staying ahead of the sticks on the ground and that puts pressure on Allar. I don't think our WR corp has been good enough to carry us. I think the Buckeyes have improved on offense and if they can sustain a running attack, will be good to go. The 3rd string back looked just as good as that starter, albeit against the horrible defense of Purdue.

Reactions: bluehair666
McCord is not a great QB. Good, not great. The defense will get to him and he'll throw at least one big INT, maybe 2. The D will score a TD or at the very least give the O a very short field that leads to a TD. That will be the difference.

WE ARE!!!

Reactions: royboy
PSU 27
OSU 16

It seems like I’m putting too many up for PSU but I think we have a good O minus the avg wide receivers. This does not account for Franklin panicking in a big game by running fake punts and going for it on our side of the field in the first quarter. Everyone keeps their composure we win.

23 PSU
17 OSU

Don't think any team will move the ball effectively or consistently on offense. Will come down to a big turnover/crucial stop. Maybe special teams big play.

PSU 27
OSU 16

It seems like I’m putting too many up for PSU but I think we have a good O minus the avg wide receivers. This does not account for Franklin panicking in a big game by running fake punts and going for it on our side of the field in the first quarter. Everyone keeps their composure we win.
I'm a huge fan of CJF despite being very critical of some of his past in-game decisions including going for 2-point conversions when unnecessary, going for it on 4th well inside your own half of the field, and such. I do think he has improved and realizes that analytics must be combined with some common sense for optimal results. He's gotten better and deserves some credit for doing so.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and psualt
17-14 PSU but my confidence is pretty low because of all the heartbreak in Columbus over the years

We have to be mentally focused and be ready to "win" when the opportunity is there. This means making a crucial third down stop, picking up a first down to keep a drive going/chew up clock, make a FG (not necessarily a game winner, see final note below), etc.

I listened to an OSU podcast and they believe their weak link is their offensive line against our defense. This means we have to be able to stop their running game and make them more one dimensional than they would want. We can then pressure McCord who is pretty slow and not nearly as elusive as your past OSU QBs. This enables us to utilize and leverage our elite defensive speed to create disruptive plays.

On offense, the converse needs to be true, we need to run the ball effectively. If we can get both Singleton and Allen going and churn out yards that will work great

If both these things happen which essentially is saying we win at the line of scrimmage then I like us to win.

Other things come into play like:

-We cannot turn the ball over
-Get Warren and Theo involved a lot
-Use the backs in the passing game
-Limit Harrison Jr, he will get his but he can't go off for like a buck fifty and 2 TDs

One final note: Don't want this game coming down to a FG. Their kicker, Fielding, has not missed a kick this year. And I don't want Felkins trying to make a 40 yard game winner.

Final, final note: I don't think we need a second WR to do much in this game to win and I don't think we will get it any way. Just don't see anyone doing much beyond KLS. We gotta ride our big 4 and Allar (Kaytron, Theo, Warren and Singleton).

I'm a hug fan of CJF despite being very critical of some of his in-game decisions including going for 2-point conversions when unnecessary, going for it on 4th well inside your own half of the field, and such. I do think he has improved that analytics must be combined with some common sense for optimal results. He's gotten better and deserves some credit for doing so.
local media, in Cleveland, has been very dismissive. In fact, I'd say they were "insulting" to CJF specifically. One guy said he wasn't worried at all and thought tOSU would win easily. By more than ten points. Didn't even want to discuss it on air as a big game. The second guy was worse, he said he thought CJF was a pretender and was stealing money from PSU. I have no idea how he can come to that conclusion given the recent record of CJF and everything the program has been through from JS to COVID in PA.

I like a few of the picks a above.
I'll go 24-10. Defense keeps osu below the 15 points per game that is necesary for a championship season.

local media, in Cleveland, has been very dismissive. In fact, I'd say they were "insulting" to CJF specifically. One guy said he wasn't worried at all and thought tOSU would win easily. By more than ten points. Didn't even want to discuss it on air as a big game. The second guy was worse, he said he thought CJF was a pretender and was stealing money from PSU. I have no idea how he can come to that conclusion given the recent record of CJF and everything the program has been through from JS to COVID in PA.
I think that isn't surprising and is right on par with tOSU fan arrogance. That said, they've had our number in general and we have to prove them wrong. This is the weekend we prove them wrong and provide a wake-up call to the college football world.

Reactions: Obliviax
PSU 17
OSU 10

Time for the Nits D to control OSU.

Questions that need answers:

Can PSU stop OSU in the fourth quarter?
Can Allar have a big game away from Happy Valley?
Can we control line and have a consistent running game?

I think this is a common perspective by many in the OSU fanbase and their media although I am surprised their media is that overt about it.

I'm a huge fan of CJF despite being very critical of some of his past in-game decisions including going for 2-point conversions when unnecessary, going for it on 4th well inside your own half of the field, and such. I do think he has improved and realizes that analytics must be combined with some common sense for optimal results. He's gotten better and deserves some credit for doing so.
He has improved and deserves credit.

Reactions: NittanyChris
My heart says (or wants) 28-17. We get some big turnovers and the offense takes advantage of them and plays controlled. Mid-4th, up 21-17, we have a drive similar to the Iowa game where we run, run, run straight at a tired OSU defense to go up 28-17.

My head says 27-10. We haven't won there since 2011 which was an odd year (understatement). Franklin just hasn't proven he can win vs OSU outside of the blocked FG. I wish I had more faith in his in-game decisions but I'm just not there yet. I refuse to believe they have a whole other playbook just for this game. I think they hit a few big plays that put our defense on its heels for the first time, go up 14-0 early and then it's a defensive struggle back and forth. I hope I'm wrong.

Are you kidding. Just read this board, including some previous seasons comments from myself. You'll read the same comments.

He has to beat Ohio State and Michigan with some regularity to get more credit
I don't think even the majority of Penn State fans are 100% sure he's capable of doing so.
All program dealt with COVID--there's no pass for that

Need at least 30-16 to keep the 30+ scoring and 14+ margin of victory streaks going. Needless to say these would also continue the cover streak as well.

IMO PSU and OSU are virtually identical - almost. I think PSU D is better and OSU has MHJ on O.

Allar desperately needs to be more accurate than last week, especially early. If he starts off hot I think it’s possible to get an early two score lead and let the defense go to work. Maryland showed us it’s possible but the pick 6 killed them. Can’t make those mistakes against OSU.

All of that said, I’ll go for 31-17 as it’s a good football score that does the above. That combined with some rosy glasses. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Obliviax
So, it's true. Most, if not all, other teams have homers for beat writers, and ours bend over backwards to berate us.

Sincere question: We have averaged a little over 23 points per game over the past 11 years, even with some stinky squads, so why do some people seem to think it will be under that number this time? Is the belief that Ohio State is significantly better on defense? Or that the Penn State offense is down? Or some of both?

Last edited:
Reactions: IANit
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT