ADVERTISEMENT

Film Study - Penn State Defense vs. Ole Miss

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020
PEACH BOWL FILM STUDY

See Link. Despite the on-field product/result, I thought this might have been Codutti's best breakdown of the season. Without calling out specific names, he was fairly critical of some of the schemes/playcalls from Poindexter or whoever was calling the defense (the other co-DC's name escapes me since it's 2 in the morning). Anyway, thanks for watching this season. We got a Tom Allen video coming out next weekend, then we're hibernating until March.

PEACH BOWL FILM STUDY

See Link. Despite the on-field product/result, I thought this might have been Codutti's best breakdown of the season. Without calling out specific names, he was fairly critical of some of the schemes/playcalls from Poindexter or whoever was calling the defense (the other co-DC's name escapes me since it's 2 in the morning). Anyway, thanks for watching this season. We got a Tom Allen video coming out next weekend, then we're hibernating until March.
the DB opt outs really hurt the defense

Reactions: royboy
the DB opt outs really hurt the defense
True. Diaz's absence might have been more harmful than the DBs opt outs. The defense seemed lost after the first 10 minutes of the game. Mississippi did a great job quickly adjusting their offense.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
The opt outs hurt.....but PSU just kept bringing the house on every 3rd down play.......I know that is how we played all year.....but if it is not working you have to make adjustments.

True. Diaz's absence might have been more harmful than the DBs opt outs. The defense seemed lost after the first 10 minutes of the game. Mississippi did a great job quickly adjusting their offense.
Agreed. The combination of opt outs, players on reduced snap counts and the loss of Diaz were too much to overcome.

However, Ole Miss does not have a good defense and we should have been able to score on them. But WR issues, QB issues, opt outs and lack of an OC kept that from happening.

Reactions: LionDeNittany
Opt outs shouldn't excuse other players from doing their jobs. Bottom line: the Penn State next line players are not good. I'm not sure how those issues can be solved next year unless first year players step up and perform.

Reactions: Obliviax
Opt outs shouldn't excuse other players from doing their jobs. Bottom line: the Penn State next line players are not good. I'm not sure how those issues can be solved next year unless first year players step up and perform.
Agreed. If you "opt out" it should be handled very surgically and like HR. When you opt out, you are no longer with or part of the team. No drama or hard feelings, its just policy.

Bottom line: the Penn State next line players are not good. I'm not sure how those issues can be solved next year unless first year players step up and perform

They weren't good enough to start in '23. That doesn't mean '24 is doomed. I'm not sure if Miller and Tracy are ever going to be as good as JPJ, King, and Dixon, but they all weren't elite on day 1. Dixon improved the most from his arrival to his exit of them all.

Reactions: BOSCO2
They weren't good enough to start in '23. That doesn't mean '24 is doomed. I'm not sure if Miller and Tracy are ever going to be as good as JPJ, King, and Dixon, but they all weren't elite on day 1. Dixon improved the most from his arrival to his exit of them all.
Agreed. players only play for four years. they can develop for five but only play four. The difference in growth year to year is phenomenal. But growth is not always the same or linear. I read that Washington has 12 5th or 6th year seniors. penix is in his 6th (covid) year. UM had a ton of kids come back to win a natty that could have opted out to the NFL.

it makes a difference.

Reactions: lazydave841
Agreed. players only play for four years. they can develop for five but only play four. The difference in growth year to year is phenomenal. But growth is not always the same or linear. I read that Washington has 12 5th or 6th year seniors. penix is in his 6th (covid) year. UM had a ton of kids come back to win a natty that could have opted out to the NFL.

it makes a difference.

Exactly. JPJ took a RS while Ellis started a a true freshman. Then next year, JPJ was a starter and Ellis was moved to S. King saw snaps as a true freshman and started for 2 years. Dixon never started until this year (his 5th overall).

If Miller and Tracy are getting beat like this in the coming fall, yes, it might be a problem. Worrying about the Ole Miss game, where they ran stride for stride but didn't get their head around or hands involved is premature.

Also, Tony Grimes is in the portal. 3 year starter at UNC. RS at A&M due to injuries this year. I wouldn't be shocked if we don't go after him.

Exactly. JPJ took a RS while Ellis started a a true freshman. Then next year, JPJ was a starter and Ellis was moved to S. King saw snaps as a true freshman and started for 2 years. Dixon never started until this year (his 5th overall).

If Miller and Tracy are getting beat like this in the coming fall, yes, it might be a problem. Worrying about the Ole Miss game, where they ran stride for stride but didn't get their head around or hands involved is premature.

Also, Tony Grimes is in the portal. 3 year starter at UNC. RS at A&M due to injuries this year. I wouldn't be shocked if we don't go after him.
..and we probably played the most difficult team in the NYD6 to defend. Kiffin, love him or hate him, is one of the great offensive minds in college football. Dart and his WRs are excellent as are the RB and TEs. They came in healthy with no meaningful opt outs. They also probably played the game of their lives (perhaps second to their LSU game).

Agreed. If you "opt out" it should be handled very surgically and like HR. When you opt out, you are no longer with or part of the team. No drama or hard feelings, its just policy.
I agree in principle, but when you have to recruit future teenagers this would really hurt the program. In the current landscape of the portal, NIL and opt outs the players have all the power and the adults in the room either cater to the whims of kids and young adults or they will find themselves losing recruits.

I agree in principle, but when you have to recruit future teenagers this would really hurt the program. In the current landscape of the portal, NIL and opt outs the players have all the power and the adults in the room either cater to the whims of kids and young adults or they will find themselves losing recruits.
I hear you. For kids coming out of high school, this issue is probably too far away. I don't think they are worried about opt outs at age 17. But for portal players, maybe. But at that age, the ability to opt out of a bowl game would be the last thing on my mind after playing time, development and girls.

The Diaz defense relied on excellent secondary play which gave the rush just enough time to get/pressure the QB. Without great secondary play we get the peach bowl mess. Once we learned of the opt outs nobody should have been surprised. Next year will be interesting.

Plus we just lost a defensive coordinator so it's not realistic to expect to play defense at the same level we did all season long.

Next year will be interesting.

Our defense will be interesting come next year. 2 DEs, 1 LB, 3 CBs departing. Could still lose a DT, but that hasn't been made clear yet. Thus far, no portal help either. I don't think we are anywhere near the same defense, but I think we mix more zone in as well.

Plus we just lost a defensive coordinator so it's not realistic to expect to play defense at the same level we did all season long.

Definitely not, and definitely not without the stars of that defense.

Our defense will be interesting come next year. 2 DEs, 1 LB, 3 CBs departing. Could still lose a DT, but that hasn't been made clear yet. Thus far, no portal help either. I don't think we are anywhere near the same defense, but I think we mix more zone in as well.

Definitely not, and definitely not without the stars of that defense.
I think most of us expect the defense to drop off as edge rushers and DBs are probably the most critical pieces on defense, and we lose a ton there., as well as the downgrade from Diaz to Allen. Not a knock on Allen, but Diaz was outstanding and I'm not sure how anyone would be an upgrade there. I'm hoping the offense improves to offset that but Kotelnicki has his hands full. Is he good enough to scheme his way to an improvement despite a weak WR room, inconsistent QB play and losing many starters on the OL? He'll have earned his paycheck if he makes this offense look good as early as next season.

PEACH BOWL FILM STUDY

This was excellent! Man, Dex got schooled badly.

Not experienced enough to deal with it at that time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT