ADVERTISEMENT

Film Study - Drew Allar vs. West Virginia

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020
ALLAR FILM STUDY vs. WVU

See Link. Editor here. When I texted Codutti on Sunday morning, I told him to be super critical of Allar's debut as starter -- to find the tiniest nits and pick the hell out of them. He texted back Monday morning and wrote, "Dude, there's nothing to really criticize." lol. I did find it interesting how he focused on Allar's vast mechanical improvements from his freshman to his sophomore season. Really, the only questions left (to me, anyway) are how does he handle hostile road environments and just how astronomically high is his ceiling.

I will Nitt pick. On the pass that Cephas dropped and another to McClain he put too much zip on the ball. He needs to ease up on short passes.

The Cephas one woulda been a TD if he eased up a bit and led him in.

Also, he spent a lot of time calling audibles or blocking assignments and nearly got called for Delay of game a couple times.

That’s about all the Nitts I can pick….🤷🏿‍♂️

The only thing I saw - just because you can throw 40 yards on the run doesn't mean you shouldn't set your feet when you have time. Clifford was criticized for this all the time but he didn't have the same arm talent as Allar.

ALLAR FILM STUDY vs. WVU

See Link. Editor here. When I texted Codutti on Sunday morning, I told him to be super critical of Allar's debut as starter -- to find the tiniest nits and pick the hell out of them. He texted back Monday morning and wrote, "Dude, there's nothing to really criticize." lol. I did find it interesting how he focused on Allar's vast mechanical improvements from his freshman to his sophomore season. Really, the only questions left (to me, anyway) are how does he handle hostile road environments and just how astronomically high is his ceiling.
The Dude is a homer. There is a lot to love but there a heck of a lot to criticize coming out of that game starting with ball placement which was below average for a pro-style QB. If you didn't see it, you are not looking

• Haha
Reactions: PSUSignore
The Dude is a homer. There is a lot to love but there a heck of a lot to criticize coming out of that game starting with ball placement which was below average for a pro-style QB. If you didn't see it, you are not looking
You are right he sucks - all hope is lost. Hey since you love Franklin what was your review of his coaching - let me guess he sucks too - you are at least 100% predictable.

He had a great game, though I agree with you on the need to improve his ball placement I'm sure that has been pointed out in the film room. He'll improve or he'll throw a bad pick and receive a more meaningful lesson. I really like his ability to move his feet to an open spot - whether lateral or stepping up - to buy himself time and also keeps his eyes downfield. There are some things that should improve with more games like not forcing throws because he has superior arm strength.. The tough tests in September are of course Illinois and Iowa.

He had a great game, though I agree with you on the need to improve his ball placement I'm sure that has been pointed out in the film room. He'll improve or he'll throw a bad pick and receive a more meaningful lesson. I really like his ability to move his feet to an open spot - whether lateral or stepping up - to buy himself time and also keeps his eyes downfield. There are some things that should improve with more games like not forcing throws because he has superior arm strength.. The tough tests in September are of course Illinois and Iowa.
I generally agree, but I think he had a good game. The situation matters. West Virginia is going to win two games this year. Maybe three. Then there is the defense they used. Rob Bolden would have finished with a similar stat line.

I generally agree, but I think he had a good game. The situation matters. West Virginia is going to win two games this year. Maybe three. Then there is the defense they used. Rob Bolden would have finished with a similar stat line.
They have a fairly tough schedule:

• PSU
  • Duquesne
  • Pitt
  • TX Tech
  • TCU
  • Houston
  • OK State
  • UCF
  • BYU
  • OK
  • Cincy
  • Baylor

No cupcakes although nobody is in the top ten either. The key to their season is Pitt. I think they are a much better team than people suspect. I thought they should have stuck to their run game. When they started to pass and get fancy is when they lost the game. But they played a really clean game with few penalties and zero turnovers. I think they are still trying to find themselves after last year's debacle. That RB is a LOAD. I suspect that they will come in around .500 for the year.

Reactions: RickinDayton
ALLAR FILM STUDY vs. WVU

I had huge expectations for Allar coming into the game. I saw in him play in HS and knew how good he was as a high schooler (carried the team to a tough loss against the eventual state champion, St. Eds).

But he exceeded all of my expectations. I got though them in order:

1. Pocket presence. Simply superb. He stepped up, moved to his left and right. I don't recall him making one bad decision. PSU QBs would often move laterally in the pocket, right into a DE who was taking the long route and the QBs movement screwed the OT who had no idea what to do with the DE because his back is to the QB. Perhaps better, he is as good as I've ever seen and keeping his eyes downfield and focusing on completing the pass while running for his life. the only question is "will he take the easy first down by running, he breaks the pocket and the path to the first down is wide open?"
  2. Arm Strength. I knew he could throw but his zip actually surprised both portal transfer WRs. Cephus simply couldn't get his hands up fast enough. And, his arm strength on the run reminded me of Bradshaw in his heyday.
  3. Swagger. He is cool confident and just looks like "the guy" in the huddle. I love that. It is far better than false bravado. He looked in complete command, told players what to do when they didn't know, and called out defenses when WVU was geared to try and confuse the first-time starter.
  4. Accuracy. Some have complained about a couple of off throws and the close INT. But on the whole, his accuracy was excellent. He had three drops and I think he threw the ball away twice. So his 21 of 29 was actually better than the stats showed.
  5. Strength. One time, completely wrapped up by a huge DE, he was able to stay on his feet and throw the ball away. Lots of great presence there but also the strength to do it. Very Roethisberger-ish.
  6. Running. He only ran once, that I recall, but it was successful. He is much faster, and quicker, than I had thought.
I watched the game by myself and actually jumped off the sofa and cheered when he hit the first TD. That was special when the kid is dealing with the pressure of prime-time, a national audience, 110k and his first start.

Man, Wally is pi$$ed that Allar is the real deal! Hilarious! And he claimed our schedule was much tougher this year in preseason. Now the game 1 opponent is a 2-win team. Trolls going to troll I guess.

Reactions: AWS1022
I had huge expectations for Allar coming into the game. I saw in him play in HS and knew how good he was as a high schooler (carried the team to a tough loss against the eventual state champion, St. Eds).

But he exceeded all of my expectations. I got though them in order:

1. Pocket presence. Simply superb. He stepped up, moved to his left and right. I don't recall him making one bad decision. PSU QBs would often move laterally in the pocket, right into a DE who was taking the long route and the QBs movement screwed the OT who had no idea what to do with the DE because his back is to the QB. Perhaps better, he is as good as I've ever seen and keeping his eyes downfield and focusing on completing the pass while running for his life. the only question is "will he take the easy first down by running, he breaks the pocket and the path to the first down is wide open?"
  2. Arm Strength. I knew he could throw but his zip actually surprised both portal transfer WRs. Cephus simply couldn't get his hands up fast enough. And, his arm strength on the run reminded me of Bradshaw in his heyday.
  3. Swagger. He is cool confident and just looks like "the guy" in the huddle. I love that. It is far better than false bravado. He looked in complete command, told players what to do when they didn't know, and called out defenses when WVU was geared to try and confuse the first-time starter.
  4. Accuracy. Some have complained about a couple of off throws and the close INT. But on the whole, his accuracy was excellent. He had three drops and I think he threw the ball away twice. So his 21 of 29 was actually better than the stats showed.
  5. Strength. One time, completely wrapped up by a huge DE, he was able to stay on his feet and throw the ball away. Lots of great presence there but also the strength to do it. Very Roethisberger-ish.
  6. Running. He only ran once, that I recall, but it was successful. He is much faster, and quicker, than I had thought.
I watched the game by myself and actually jumped off the sofa and cheered when he hit the first TD. That was special when the kid is dealing with the pressure of prime-time, a national audience, 110k and his first start.
I was quite pleased by what I saw out of the young gun on Saturday. But, I want to see him do it against a good team before I say he exceeded my expectations. At least right now, I can get past the fact that the majority of his throws were to wide open receivers and many featured poorly thrown balls. Based on what we saw out of WVU, they are no better than a mid-level MAC program on defense. I want to see what he does in two weeks and then in three.

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
The only thing I saw - just because you can throw 40 yards on the run doesn't mean you shouldn't set your feet when you have time. Clifford was criticized for this all the time but he didn't have the same arm talent as Allar.
Because when Clifford did it he airmailed the pass to an awaiting safety. When Allar does it he throws dimes. It's early, but Allar has already shown signs that he could be the best PSU QB in a long, long time. The potential is there, only time will tell if he can achieve it.

Reactions: blair10
I was quite pleased by what I saw out of the young gun on Saturday. But, I want to see him do it against a good team before I say he exceeded my expectations. At least right now, I can get past the fact that the majority of his throws were to wide open receivers and many featured poorly thrown balls. Based on what we saw out of WVU, they are no better than a mid-level MAC program on defense. I want to see what he does in two weeks and then in three.
You are trying too hard.

Reactions: royboy
One more Nitt to pick. On the first TD play Allar dropped back in the pocket and then drifted to his right a couple steps. Perhaps trying to get a better look or passing lane. But by doing so, it allowed the WVU tackle to release from the guard that was blocking him and get pressure on Allar. If Allar had just stepped up from the start there would have been no pressure.

Last edited:
One more Nitt to pick. On the first TD play Allar dropped back I tohe pocket and then drifter to his right a couple steps. Perhaps trying to get a better look or passing lane. But by doing so, it allowed the WVU tackle to release from the guard that was blocking him and get pressure on Allar. If Allar had just stepped up from the start there would have been no pressure.
Second Nitt pick: Did Todd Blackledge really refer to Patrick Mahomes as "Patrick Ma-home-ees"?

Reactions: PSUSignore
One more Nitt to pick. On the first TD play Allar dropped back in the pocket and then drifted to his right a couple steps. Perhaps trying to get a better look or passing lane. But by doing so, it allowed the WVU tackle to release from the guard that was blocking him and get pressure on Allar. If Allar had just stepped up from the start there would have been no pressure.

I thought the only rusher who was close to Allar on the play was #91, who I believe was being blocked by Theo? That fits with the drift to the right and everything. Same guy or no?

I thought the only rusher who was close to Allar on the play was #91, who I believe was being blocked by Theo? That fits with the drift to the right and everything. Same guy or no?
Correct. It was Theo, not the guard.

Go to 3:30 of the video. Theo had him locked up and in position to keep 91 to the outside. But when Allar drifts right 91 gets enough space to break free and get pressure.

If Allar had stepped forward Theo would have screened 91 away.

Reactions: lazydave841
Correct. It was Theo, not the guard.

I was quite impressed with Theo blocking #91. Martin is probably their best DL and he didn't get ragdolled.

Additionally, I wonder if Allar took too many steps on his drop as well? The 2nd TD to KLS was also off the same route. With a shorter field (72 yards vs 12 yards), Allar didn’t drop near as much.

I watched a video from a guy that breaks down all QB’s and is not a homer and he disagrees with you….but I know you’re an anti-homer playing on your Franklin hate.

Ironic post coming from someone who could find no wrong with hack.

Reactions: royboy
Second Nitt pick: Did Todd Blackledge really refer to Patrick Mahomes as "Patrick Ma-home-ees"?
Heard that as well and was confused. Blackledge messed up a couple of other calls too. He's one of my favorites but I think he had an off night, perhaps due to the adjustment of working with a completely new crew at NBC.

Reactions: Obliviax
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT